(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Mega Man 5 - Light vs. Dark

Post by Alice »

Those cow catchers served Chargeman pretty well. raocow struggled with him more than other bosses in the game thus far simply because he kept tripping over the boss, lol.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"Hey, Ryu, look what I made!"

"It's a stone, Ken, you didn't make it!"

"It's a Robot Master, I chiseled it!"

"Well, what are you waiting for? Sic it on Mega Man!"

"It's even official size-"

*pchoo choo choo*

"-But not official difficulty."
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

People rip Toad Man, but I think Stone Man is the weakest bot ever. You really have to go out of your way to get hit by him, and that's even if he bothers tossing out Power Stone.

To this day, this dude's never hit me in MM5, and the only reason I know that is because he was the first ever Mega Man boss I beat without taking damage on as a kid when we rented this. This has held up through all my Anniversary Collection replays and when I streamed it a few years ago. Sorry, Stone Man, but you're kind of a chump.
Money

Post by Money »

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

There's another hidden room in Stoneman's stage you missed. It's in the lower right corner of the second ledge in the room leading up to the first outdoor area, and contains an M-Tank. Or, well, since you already had one from Crystalman's stage, it'd have just been empty. Hooray! :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

You had the right idea in trying to get away from Stone Man to make him use his projectile, but you didn't commit. When he's in his stone pile form in one end of the room, THEN you need to go to the other corner. You said you'd do it, but you didn't ;).

Also, it kills me that you show off a special weapon at the start of a stage, then never demonstrate it on an enemy, even though at least twice now there was a perfect enemy to use it on: in Charge Man, Water Wave would have blocked the train Met's projectile and killed it, and in Stone Man, you'd have found out that Charge Kick obliterates the parent and baby Mets because it deals damage every frame. Oh well!

(I suspect I won't have that grievance tomorrow with Power Stone because it's absolutely useless in practically every situation)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

If Stone Man has a projectile it's news to me
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago If Stone Man has a projectile it's news to me

5 minutes, 10 seconds into Pink's video there. It is very, very rare.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

All variants of Dark Man are weak against Beat. They also have weaknesses among the main weapons, but I think there's only two cases where that weakness does as much damage as Beat does.

The database in Legacy Collection implies that these are different robots all named Dark Man. That seems weird.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Blargh. Darkman 1 is one of my most hated bosses in the entire series. His pattern is simple, but I can never really deal with it very well. Basically, he's one of those jerks that constantly moves towards you, but when you attempt to jump over him, he comes to a dead stop, so you end up landing on him. Chargeman employs that same technique, though it's not so bad, since he also does other things. Darkman 1 does nothing *but* that. Argh.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wonder if he's basically a redone Skull Man deal then since that's another boss that loves to run at you only to stop when you're a couple of lengths apart. Also, this video basically reminded me of another thing I'm not big on in this game. When you get hit, you lose your charge. MM4 wasn't like that. Makes a world of difference against those tiger enemies.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Nobody seems to know that the tigers will always jump when you shoot OR release the shoot button. So if you don't make them jump into the charge, it'll always miss.

I had forgotten how the "ideal" Dark Man strategy goes so I consulted my personal favorite expert on the subject (it's me) and yeah I had REALLY forgotten the ideal strategy, haha. Check both fights at the end if you also want to see a buster duel gone only a bit wrong.

I'm linking the entire video because it only contains the only recorded good use of Power Stone.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Yeah I think Dark Man 1 is probably the hardest boss in the game, which makes it weird he's the boss of the first stage of endgame. He just stays inside of you all the time, it's not fun to deal with. There's probably a trick to dealing with him I'll never bother learning cause you usually go in with several E-tanks and so I just tank damage and use an E-tank when necessary.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

If I had to guess, I'd guess that Capcom figured his weakness was (a) really obvious after looking at him for two seconds, and (b) something the player was very likely to have in abundance at this point in the game, and so they didn't even bother considering the ramifications of trying to buster duel him.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Handing out lives like candy. Can't say I'm against that. Even with the lowered difficulty, this game has some platforming segments that are kind of tricky. I know there's another conveyor type situation later on that was my stopping point as a kid, and I'm not too big on the one in this stage. Still, it's fair. It's just not what I expect from this one at times.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

My favorite part of this boss was how it got easier when it went into its desperation mode.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

When you think about it, last night's boss had AI on par with the Mega Man DOS games. Instead of jumping around over your head and firing when at a wall, this one just moves back and forth and never shoots. That's kinda sad.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

darkman 3?

more like dorkman 3 heh heh
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I like how they were able to get the snake block thing working pretty well on the NES like they did. Outside of that, this level is the kind of the "there" one with a boss that's actually decent. Can't wait for Proto Man to go down in defeat and never be in the series again tomorrow.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Honestly, this is probably the best of the Dark Man fights. Everything is reasonable to dodge, there's no need to jump over him or time your shots to actually hit him... it's about on par with some of the simpler Robot Master fights. Not an amazing battle, but it works.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

It's funny that, like raocow said, "How do I defeat [Darkman 3]?" appeared in the Counselor's Corner section of Nintendo Power, when it's honestly probably the easiest of the four Darkman bosses. Not only that, but as I recall, the strategy given was really stupid, suggesting you use Super Arrow, of all things, and you'd *still* have to finish it off with your buster. Like... why? It has an actual weakness, and even buster-dueling it isn't *that* hard.

Moists:

Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

this is the battle where the Charge Kick can really shine.

there is nothing Dark Man the third can do to hurt you if you get frozen in the middle of a kick
  • You cause contact damage
  • a glitch causes Dark Man to slightly misaim his shots above you when you're frozen on the ground (unless you're directly below him)
  • the Charge Kick protects Mega Man from many attacks. Dark Man's shots happen to be on the list
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's also the perfect way to obliterate Dark Man 1. Charge Kick supremacy yo
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Man, looking at the data damage chart for the Dark Man bosses is funny. Every one of them take the standard three from the Mega Buster and Beat. As for the actual weapons...

-Dark Man I has a true weakness in Water Wave. That's it, but it still only does three bars of damage instead of four.
-Dark Man II is where it gets weird. Two bars from Napalm Bomb, Crystal Eye, and Super Arrow.
-Dark Man III has Gyro Attack and Super Arrow. Again, only two bars per hit.
-Dark Man Final Super Duper Ultraman takes two bars of damage from Power Stone and Star Crash.

While the upcoming Wily bosses are back to having more normal weaknesses, this really is the game where special weapons just stop mattering all that much outside of a couple exceptions from here on out.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The Dark Man fights are really weird. I guess it was an attempt to have the first fortress feel different from the second? But it also means there's only two actual fortress bosses in this game.