(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mea

Re: Mega Man V - It Takes Five to Tango

Post by Mea »

I was going to try calculate how many pixels high Megaman would be able to jump at Saturn's actual gravity, but weirdly enough TIL that Saturn actually has the closest surface gravity to Earth out of all the planets in our solar system, how bizarre.
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

The Other Ring Man

To be honest, Saturn's stage is just kinda... there to me. I do like the g-force mechanic, as well as the Fooley's mechanic of slowing down time. (Seeing the Doncatch enemy pound the ground only for the rock shards to go nowhere always amuses me). His boss fight is also pretty cool as well.

However, the stark yellow color palette of the ruins in the Super Game Boy version as well as the monotonous music kill this stage for me, honestly.

I should also mention that Saturn canonically hates video games. How did I know that? Well, we'll get to that game eventually...

May God help angrycow should he actually try to get all 100 CDs in Rockman & Forte.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

When Saturn stops time, you just have to be directly underneath him. It's the only spot he won't shoot at. That was my favorite stage in the game. The time and gravity stuff go well together.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And here I thought you had to go take that entire climb up to reveal the secret path for the crystal. Huh. That stage doesn't mesh well with me, and how did I mix up the word mesh with clash earlier today, Yelsey? How?!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

My new favorite part of this game is that the graphic for Jupiter's downward electric blast doesn't have any transparency. It's just a giant white rectangle with an animated lightning bolt superimposed on top of it. I had somehow never noticed this until now (most likely due to falling asleep during the battle).
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago...and how did I mix up the word mesh with clash earlier today, Yelsey? How?!
Because truly, you are the master wordsmith. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Code: Select all

YOU GOT
  SPAGHETTI TICKLE
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

Big Bird's Revenge

An ice stage and a "water" stage in one? Cool.

Money

Post by Money »

What a weird level

Also according to the comments youre gonna wanna go back to Dr Light's lab to find out what the crystals do before going to Terra, or else you wont get a chance to go back. Also apparently buy an S Tank? Look i havent played this game ok
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

I caught that lifehack thread reference.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

basically wily found and activated the stardroids
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

So I have no idea who's talked you through the game yet, but now's probably a good time to plan how you're going to approach the rest of the game video-wise. I'd say the two most sensible options are doing the rest of the game in a single video or doing the Rush Space segment in one video and the rest of the game after that in another single video.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I think this game does the same checkpoint dealio that Mega Man IV did, but I still treat Wily Star as one giant final level since I don't remember where those potential game over checkpoints are. The space shooter stage is definitely its own thing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

If I remember correctly, the checkpoints are

the beginning of space shooter segment, the beginning of fortress stage, the beginning of Wily fight (the first hand specifically), and the beginning of the SunStar fight

. Breaking up videos like that would be silly, though, so one video of the space shooter segment and one video of everything else is probably the best approach.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Seems odd that it's so easy to just miss getting the "reward".

PS: Your monies was 264. the 2 byte cap is 255. the next cap is 3 bytes at 4095, but 3 byte values are pretty rare. So, the next common limit would be 4 bytes at 65535.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Seems odd that it's so easy to just miss getting the "reward".

PS: Your monies was 264. the 2 byte cap is 255. the next cap is 3 bytes at 4095, but 3 byte values are pretty rare. So, the next common limit would be 4 bytes at 65535.
The cap is 999, there is a good reason for that - money is stored in passwords as a 10-bit integer, so more money would mean more information to store in a password (and Mega Man IV/V passwords are already long storing 40/39 bits of information) - 999 is a good value to have a cap on. Also, a byte is 8 bits, not 4 bits.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Seems odd that it's so easy to just miss getting the "reward".

The cap is 999, there is a good reason for that - money is stored in passwords as a 10-bit integer, so more money would mean more information to store in a password (and Mega Man IV/V passwords are already long storing 40/39 bits of information) - 999 is a good value to have a cap on. Also, a byte is 8 bits, not 4 bits.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the password.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The only thing I don't like about that stage is that you can't really see a tell on the lasers. Yeah, they fly out in the same order, but you won't know what order that is the first time you get there.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Oh right, raocow has all the weapons now.
Break Dash: As I have said already, I absolutely love this weapon. Like Top Spin, it's melee and gives you invincibility (well okay, Top Spin only does when it kills things it's weak to), but it's obviously much, much better. You can dash through big guys and just obliterate them, and even if you don't, you just got past them. It's a speedrunner's wet dream and really damn good casually too.
Deep Digger: Well, it's a utility weapon first and foremost and it very rarely has any setups where it's going to be useful. A bit of a shame; MM1 and especially Powered Up had seemingly more Guts Blocks that you could actually toss at enemies. Bigger screens to work with, though. If you can use it, it's actually quite good; as raocow showed, you can still shoot your gun if you don't have a block, and you can carry them even into a slide, and the debris is nice to have.
Black Hole: Amazing screen-clearer. Rightfully expensive but if you wanted to compare this to e.g. Centaur Flash, you're gonna shit yourself laughing. It's similarly powerful like the latter Black Hole Bomb in MM9, and I don't know if I need to tell many people in this thread how good the weapons in MM9 are.
Electric ShockSpaghetti Tingler: This is deceptively powerful. It stays out a good long while, hitting enemies that survive it once multiple times and therefore still finishing them off. You have full flexiblity in moving it, it costs very little energy even before the energy saver, and its damage is great. Only downside: kinda melee. Not a downside for me!

Spark Chaser: Here we have the lowly homing missile weapon. Except it deals absolutely bonkers damage, follows enemies all over the screen for multiple hits without dissipating, and doesn't even cost that much. Really awesome.
Damn, this game has good weapons.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's definitely a finale, all right. What a nice game. I just think IV's presentation and slightly better level design decisions put it over V in the end. I like both games a lot, though. Glad you did, too.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

You were right about the final boss being named Sunstar, but only in the English version. He was, as you saw, "Sungod" in the Japanese version. But naturally, Nintendo of America wouldn't allow a reference to *gods* in one of their games, heaven forbid. Pun intended.

Also, Terra was known as "Earth" in Japan, which just sounds silly. :P

And I hope you're finally getting to Wily Wars. It was months ago that I got that save ready for you, and I want to see that "work" finally pay off. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Why does raocow always try a weapon, see it does 1 damage, and keep using it, thinking it's the weakness? Sometimes I wonder if he really gets how mega man works.

I also feel like one of the only people who doesn't look up or care about "weakness charts". They're cheating!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago Why does raocow always try a weapon, see it does 1 damage, and keep using it, thinking it's the weakness? Sometimes I wonder if he really gets how mega man works.

I also feel like one of the only people who doesn't look up or care about "weakness charts". They're cheating!
I don't check them out the first time I play the game because I like discovering them (I do experiment heavily with special weapons, after all, and that's part of it), but after I first get to the end, I do look them up because there's often something neat to find beyond "x > y > z > x". For example, the three- and five-ring weakness chains in MM3 with no connection between them. And the four, then four scheme of the GB (and later mainline) games also offers some cool things, especially in MMV:
Of the first four bosses, you have two where you cannot possibly have the weakness when first fighting them. It's Mercury and Neptune, as they are weak to Black Hole and Spark Chaser, respectively. Both are rather easy to Buster, though. Neptune starts a chain that goes Salt Water vs. Mars, Photon Missile vs. Venus, and then you have a crossover into the second half: Bubble Bomb vs. Jupiter, Electric Shock vs. Saturn, and then this chain ends because you'd have to go back to Mercury. However, Grab Buster is the weakness of Pluto, and you have Grab Buster already, so in contrast to the first four, you can have two of the latter four's weaknesses ready and start with Jupiter OR Pluto if you want to have an easier time. Anyway, after beating Pluto, the chain continues with Break Dash vs. Uranus, Deep Digger vs. Terra, and closes with the first Stardroid I mentioned, Spark Chaser vs. Neptune. So the full chain is a ring, but the structure of the game makes it impossible to close it during normal gameplay - I think that's fascinating and obviously very deliberate.

By the by, Enker isn't weak to anything (like in Wily's Revenge), Quint is weak to Photon Missile, Punk is weak to Salt Water, Ballade to Photon Missile AND Bubble Bomb, the Left and Right Knuckle as they're called also to Salt Water, and Wily's face to Spark Chaser. Obviously the weird bomb machine before isn't weak to anything but its own minions, and Sunstar doesn't have a weakness but Spark Chaser is still quite effective as we saw. In fact, he'll take no extra damage from a charged buster as opposed to a normal shot (unless it latches on), which is a trait he shares with Uranus.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I think technically Sunstar's weakness is Electric Shock. IIRC it does 2 bars per hit instead of just 1 like everything else in the game. It's not worth the effort with how chaotic the battle can get, though.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago I think technically Sunstar's weakness is Electric Shock. IIRC it does 2 bars per hit instead of just 1 like everything else in the game. It's not worth the effort with how chaotic the battle can get, though.
I was going off a quick Wiki google, admittedly, and they didn't mention that. For my LP I realized that Spark Chaser is probably ideal even though it doesn't deal more damage, as you can dodge while it hits, and that was enough because I had two fights for the video anyway (an extra no-hit buster duel). I'll happily admit that I might be wrong and the wiki too!

Forgot to mention that raocow interrupted one of Sunstar's more hilarious attacks: he has a super charge up that you need to hit him out of, but when it goes through, he uses...Rain Flush. It hits twice and destroys the floor, though, so it's, like, a laser rain or something instead!