(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
xnamkcor

Re: Mega Man Network Transmission - A Classic Case of Identity Crisis

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago Do we have to resolve all plotlines in a story? I took English 9 about three times and I don't recall leaving things unresolved was ever that much of an issue.
Of course not, but if a story just ends without doing something, there's no point to ending it. Wrapping up the plot is just the most common way of doing that. But at the same time, you can still have a wrapped up plot that is also pointless.
It's all explained in the sequel.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I beat this game and have zero memory of the Professor so uh yeah for me at least there's some story issues
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Zero the robot: So legendarily powerful he's summoned back to robo-life centuries later, tearing down anyone in his way.

Zero.EXE: Calls the cyber cops.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

The bug viruses guarding the beginning of the final stage are called Scuttles, and they are smaller versions of the actual Life Virus itself. The White Scuttles have no element, which means they can only be harmed with attacks that do at least 100 damage. This threshold seems to also be applicable to all auras of any element, as Zero was able to cut through the Life Virus's aura with one swing.

I have a guess at what remains, so you may want to redo your folder with this information in mind, lest a vast majority of your chips be rendered useless against the auras.

EDIT: If I had to guess also, the max attack buster has the same attack power as it does in the main BN games, which is 50 damage. So it will never be able to do anything to aura-protected foes.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

with the "so you're just going to toss missiles at unrelated people?" line, the fact that the guy with the source code to the lifevirus could just compile a new one, and the fact that the cyberterrorist is brought down by calling the goddamn cops, this pretty much instantaneously became the most self-aware mmbn out there

... i don't know how to process this information

second post: i think one of the biggest issues with the auras in this game is the folder system

they work out pretty well in the rpgs because the folder system in those are like actual card game decks, where each copy of a chip you use counts against the maximum instead of all copies only occupying a single "slot" - thus, you end up pulling the chips appropriate to the situation far more consistently than in this game, while also letting you drop weaker chips far earlier as you don't need as many unique chip types to fill up your folder

so, normally in the rpgs, you wouldn't have to deal with lugging around starting chips that can't break auras by sheer force by the time they become an actual issue - but in this case, unless you have a huge variety of high-powered chips to fill out your folder slots, you're stuck with them
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Generally in this series, bosses with auras have attacks that cause them to temporarily drop the auras, just in case you don't have strong enough chips. But I'm not sure what you're supposed to do about the Scuttle viruses that are literally blocking the way if you don't have a proper folder for them.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

This whole time I imagined the professor doing his internet hacking or whatever from some hidden lab somewhere remote, and then the police just show up at his house and it changed my entire perspective.

So yeah, this game. When we went into it I was thinking I've beaten it once before but like... I seem to not remember a lot of the end of the game? I remember Zero but not much past that. I was seeing mentions of alternate endings if you get the mystery data or something, did the game end early for me if I never found that? I'm trying to remember if I did any of this stuff and forgot about it or if I just didn't actually finish this game properly.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, those barriers need to be hit with an attack that does 100+ damage. If there's an elemental weakness, it'll do 2x damage, but that's not always applicable. It's honestly a game that encourages tanking, but man, that invulnerability period after you get hit is ridiculously small. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that final boss' one attack didn't just drop your HP down to 1. It felt like it was one of those types of attacks.

Funnily enough, how you fight the LifeVirus in this game is similar to how you do it in MMBN1. Break that barrier, get up in its face, and go to town. That second form doesn't exist in it, and MMBN1 also did the "you can't save" routine once you get right near the end.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so with my current chip set I don't think it's actually possible to s-rank some of the bosses, which I need to access the postgame. I have no idea where to farm the things I need.

Like I've hit an impass here and I don't know what to do.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I'm actually kinda surprised someone didn't just give you a savegame for that.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I'm not actually sure what is required to S-Rank the bosses here. In the actual games it's basically "don't get hit" and "kill them fast".

Only thing I can think of that bypasses trying to farm specific, strong elemental chips is going to somewhere like the demolished www area and farming the red cannons for m-cannons and presetting it?
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

In the RPGs, S-Ranking a given boss can range from "eh, he was always a pushover" to "need to build a folder specifically for him and reset until you draw the right chips because holy damn", so I understand the problem.

For the latter kind of bosses, I don't see an easy solution other than "look up strategies in guides, farm according to their recommendations". I don't think there's much of a silver bullet. You might be able to cheese some fights by resetting until you get a PA, but if you want more bang than the two you know of, you gotta farm for those as well. And look them up in the first place.

S-Ranking is sadly something where you cannot ignore the chip system anymore. And because it's such an early entry in the BN series, you can't even get some crazy combos set up, it's have the chips or not.

Maybe it would help if you first took a look at defensive chips, like Invis and Barrier? The former should be easily gotten by ghost viruses, the latter iirc can be bought. This way you have a short period/one hit of grace where you can set up a hard-hitting but hard to aim chip, like you big one-shot PA sword which you managed to hit with exactly once so far afaik. At least this should guarantee that one hit which might be enough for some bosses.

I don't know the limit for Navi chips in this game, it's conceivable that a good strategy might be to find a boss you CAN S-Rank easily but who also drops a good chip, farm that for a bit and just spam that chip against the harder bosses. With their timestop power, Navi chips should take care of the annoying invincibility shit many of them pull.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Looking up info, it looks like you can carry up to five of each Navi chip. Most of them don't do that high damage, though, except Protoman.

Max amount of M-Cannons is 10, and no Navi has more than 1000 HP. So the simplest way might just be to max out on and preset those, if you can get enough memory? (I'm not sure what the max is if you get all the Reg Ups.) You'd have to avoid getting hit, though.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Maybe it's just time to move onto the next Mega Man game for now and hopefully someone volunteers to make raocow a savestate where the postgame requirements are done in the meantime and then hand it off to him? Similar to the Bass fight in Operation WS.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Maybe skip an episode number, move on to Zero 2, and fill in the "lost episode" when you're able or something like that?
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I don't think you need to S-Rank the bosses. You just have to get their navi chips, which still have a chance to drop on the lower ranks.

Also for what it's worth I didn't like grinding for chips either, so my main "strategy" on bosses was to buy a billion Aqua Swords from Higsby and use those on everything. They're not too bad at 100 damage per swing. You'd probably be better off if you actually grinded something like M-Cannons though.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years agoMaybe skip an episode number, move on to Zero 2, and fill in the "lost episode" when you're able or something like that?
Honestly, this might be the best solution. You'd probably need better chips like M-Cannons and going back to get the Double Jump thing from the Pengs to make reaching them easier, so it seems like an unnecessary hassle for one super-bonus boss. Hoping someone out there has a save or something you could use.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

I really should've done this earlier lol:

A Dolphin save

This save has no Navi chips other than Roll, Zero and Fireman. Pop-up is the default chip, for maximum facetanking potential.
Well, only 3 copies but that should be more than enough.

@me if anything doesn't work.

e: It's the second save slot, if the file name hasn't made it clear enough.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

wait so what does the save do ?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

isn't the post-game just, one boss? seems like a lot of extra effort
why not just... give raocow a save that has the boss unlocked
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow

Post by raocow »

ah, I see!
Now I just need to figure out how to make the save work, haha... That's why I've been asking, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'm very unexperienced with dolphin
raocow

Post by raocow »

alright, got the save to work
now I've heard the key to the postboss is to get all the summons, so that's what's left to do, but I got an actual toolshed to work with
raocow

Post by raocow »

holy cow popup is completely busted

no I'm glad to do this on video, this has to be shown. tomorrow :I
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

PopUp is one of the most obnoxious optional rewards to get in any videogame I can think off, so it better be fucking busted to compensate