(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Mega Man 3 (PC) - The Revolting Return

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow. It's over. Finally. I... wow, that game was horrible. Those stages were *way* too long and maze-like for a game with *no* saves or passwords. The physics were terrible. The levels were bland and all felt the same. And those indestructible cannons -- especially the ones that fired the tiny blue bouncy lasers that were hard to even *see* -- were, as you said, the worst thing ever. Fortunately, at least the game was super easy.

Fortunately, raocow, you're done with the horrid DOS games forever. And the games from here on are pretty good... unless you plan to play that crappy Wonderswan game. But that's a ways off. Enjoy Megaman 5. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
T-A-C

Post by T-A-C »

"Most miserable thing ever played" seems like a high bar to clear after Minimal Maximal and the last third of YUMP but if anything is going to pass that bar it's 1990's DOS shovelware
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

T-A-C wrote: 6 years ago "Most miserable thing ever played" seems like a high bar to clear after Minimal Maximal and the last third of YUMP but if anything is going to pass that bar it's 1990's DOS shovelware
At least the YUMP level that shall not be named achieved exactly its intended effect. It's like desert bus in that way.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Man, that game happened. Mega Man 5 might be my least favorite numbered title, but at least it's still fine at worst. This was... not.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Agh! That dastardly Wily, destroying the world by blobbing up and down in a goo bath all day! Can you believe it!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

This was a good game.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

lies
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I had always figured the most miserable raocow experience would forever be that one-off Flash-ish game from a Random Week many years ago, where you were a pizza delivery boy on roller skates or a skateboard or some shit, where there was literally no challenge and maybe 15 seconds of the video was actually spent talking about the game.
Bean wrote: 6 years ago Mega Man 5 might be my least favorite numbered title
This makes me curious as to which main series Mega Man games people on this forum actually like. I feel like everything so far has been met with negative reviews, which I could understand for 1 but was surprised for how much people dislikes 2, 3, and 4. I figured everyone was saving their adulation for 5, but we're clearly not off to a good start there. Surely the most popular games here aren't 6, 7, and 8?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Wily in his acid bath reminds me of something...

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago I had always figured the most miserable raocow experience would forever be that one-off Flash-ish game from a Random Week many years ago, where you were a pizza delivery boy on roller skates or a skateboard or some shit, where there was literally no challenge and maybe 15 seconds of the video was actually spent talking about the game.
Bean wrote: 6 years ago Mega Man 5 might be my least favorite numbered title
This makes me curious as to which main series Mega Man games people on this forum actually like. I feel like everything so far has been met with negative reviews, which I could understand for 1 but was surprised for how much people dislikes 2, 3, and 4. I figured everyone was saving their adulation for 5, but we're clearly not off to a good start there. Surely the most popular games here aren't 6, 7, and 8?
turns out nobody actually likes megaman
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Having played this game not too long ago, I'm pretty sure that which attack Napalm Man uses is distance-based. If you're far enough away, he uses the missiles; if you're closer, he uses the Napalm Bomb.

Also, it's only now, seeing you play the Japanese version, that it struck me that ROCKMAN5 doesn't have any repeated letters. I guess the repeated M and A are a bit of an issue, in that if you spent very long periods of time between play sessions and didn't get all the letters during regular progress, you might wind up getting the M and A you already have. But that seems really unusual and not actually that hard to deal with if it did happen.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago turns out nobody actually likes megaman
Honestly, this is the impression I'm getting, outside of the obligatory general boner for Mega Man V (GB) which I imagine I will always have the minority opinion on.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I think CapCom screwed up making gyro man??????
Like they made him a helicopter and not a Greek food dish???? What???
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Money

Post by Money »

Veeeery sneaky Capcom, releasing two of the worst Megaman games directly before the most middle of the road game in the classic series for the express purpose of making it seem better in a theoretic case that someone, decades down the line, will have the crazy idea to play literally every classic Megaman game all in a row. I'm onto you!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Holy cow, after what feels like forever in mediocrity at best, being back on the NES feels like such a breath of fresh air.

I'm actually a bit disappointed how little people seem to like 5. It's definitely not very tough, and there's seemingly something wrong with the RNG because 1-ups drop like candy, but I think the robot masters in this game are really cool. Gravity Man is one of my favorite stages and robot masters in the series. And also I feel like this is where we reached peak stability for the series. Like, nothing really feels janky, and just in general 5 feels really impressive given the hardware. Like, more polished than anything even Nintendo was ever able to make on the NES. When I look at Mega Man 5 I basically get the same feeling as when I look at like Shovel Knight, where it's faux retro, just from how put together it feels. I don't know. Capcom really learned how to use the NES about this point.

Edit: literally swapped out 1 word seconds after posting and got ninja'd :(
Last edited by Ashan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I pressed the like button, just so you know
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man 5 - Light vs. Dark

Post by Bean »

My apathy of Mega Man 5 comes from the fact that I like to use special weapons in these titles, but this game has a few that are just not good at all. Combine that with the Rush Coil thing, and yeah. Even reading the art book on the game for developer comments, it kind of feels like they were just going through the motions for this one.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I can see what you mean, Power Stone is such a bad weapon. Mostly because you can't use it again until you either pause or it leaves the screen on its own.

The sense of uselessness for weapons is probably magnified by the fact that the charged buster tends to do three damage, making it only slightly worse than the weakness weapons on most bosses and equal in Napalm Man's case. On top of that, Beat is the best option for most fortress bosses.

On the other hand, Super Arrow is a ton of fun. It's not an actual boss weapon, though.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

T-A-C wrote: 6 years ago "Most miserable thing ever played" seems like a high bar to clear after Minimal Maximal and the last third of YUMP but if anything is going to pass that bar it's 1990's DOS shovelware
this is making me not regret finishing watching yump or minimal maximal
the same thing i did with this part of All The Megamans. probably the only game i won't see all the episodes of but they'd be a waste of my time from the sound of things.

glad to have enjoyable games back now
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years agoThis makes me curious as to which main series Mega Man games people on this forum actually like. I feel like everything so far has been met with negative reviews, which I could understand for 1 but was surprised for how much people dislikes 2, 3, and 4. I figured everyone was saving their adulation for 5, but we're clearly not off to a good start there. Surely the most popular games here aren't 6, 7, and 8?
I like all of them from MM1-10. I'll just point out flaws in all of them, even my favorite (MM4) has the slow-filling health bars and screen transitions. 5 runs pretty smoothly, but the weapons kind of blow. 2 brings in the series staples but has that one awful boss and a potentially unwinnable finale unless you game over, 3 brings in Rush and the slide but has the turning back from the left slowly deal, etc.

There are plenty of good things about all of them. Here, let me put it another way. My least favorite Kirby platformer is The Amazing Mirror, but I still think it's all right. Of the numbered Mega Mans, 5's in that same boat of just being there. I'm certainly happy to see this one over the last two games, that's for sure. There's only one legitimately bad Mega Man game left to me if it gets played in this anyway!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah I basically never use special weapons unless there's like an obstacle it can be used on, or for boss weaknesses. So that just doesn't matter to me at all as an issue with 5.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm pretty much with Bean on the "liking all of the series but aware of each game's specific flaws" mindset.

A while back I had a great time playing a "no Buster" run of 1 through 6. The rules: you could use the Mega Buster on exactly ONE occasion - the fight with the first Robot Master you defeated. You had to never shoot at all going through that boss's stage; and for all other stages and battles you could only use Robot Master weapons. Item use was allowed but you couldn't shoot your buster while doing so (e.g., no shooting while on Rush Jet).

Some games made this much easier than others, depending on how good of a general buster replacement they provide. MM2 obviously has Metal Blade, and MM1 has Fire Storm, for example. And some of the games enforce odd stage selection choices, where only certain non-Buster weapons could clear particular obstacles (like the tadpole eggs in Gemini Man's stage or the breakable blocks in the crusher segment of Dust Man's stage). I also learned to exploit some unusual weaknesses - for example, the best non-Buster way to deal with Skeleton Joes is the Bright Stopper.

MM5 was the most challenging of the six to play this way. But it was a refreshingly new challenge I thoroughly enjoyed.
Last edited by Voltgloss 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

1. Megaman 5 looks way too fucking good. I honestly thought it was a SNES game just looking at it. Is raocow playing a port?

2. Does anyone know if Kevin made any other DOS Megamans? I love the series and all, but watching DOS 3 was literally purgatory for me. I can't imagine what it must have been like to play it. At least DOS 2 was short. I want to be able to brace myself if there are more on the way.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
raocow

Post by raocow »

original famicom rom, and no more pc games
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I also enjoy 1-10. Don't dislike any of them. The only thing I hate about the classic series are the obnoxious Mega Man 2 fans that act like it's the only one worth playing and even then I haven't come across any of those people in a long time.

Now if only I could stop being exposed to people who act the same way about generation 1 of Pokemon...