(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Post by Kilgamayan »

I spent most of this video giggling like a madman.

On the subject of video titles, if there's anything that this series has taught me, it's that there are a surprising number of songs about dudes named Willie/Willy.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Post by Arctangent »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago wow that's kinda uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
dw she just really wishes her dear brother would stop jumping on their bunk robobed, but she's too polite to chew him out for that
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Post by Bean »

Since you saw what the last ten were, are you sure you want to do those all in a row? It was so painful to record them all in order when I did them because of that.

Anyway, yeah. Challenge Mode is a pretty cool thing that Powered Up added in along with the whole level creation thing. I mean, it's basically doing things that Super Mario Maker would get to some eight years later. As you saw, they get a little complicated. You have to know how each bot works and also learn the levels as you play as you're guaranteed to screw up on some of them your first or tenth time around, but that first challenge is always set up so you get a feel for what they can do.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Bean wrote: 5 years agoI mean, it's basically doing things that Super Mario Maker would get to some eight years later.
I feel like the talkhaus should be the last place to fall for "mario maker is at all significant as a work". level editors have existed for almost as long as videogames and mario maker does nothing new other than being an official mario product
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's the comparison though as Powered Up and Mario Maker are both official products with their challenge modes and level creators!
Leet

Post by Leet »

Lode Runner. Excitebike. Boulderdash. Rayman. King's Field.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

smash brawl
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mega Man's challenges are the only group I did all of (I think, it's been years since I last played MMPU) but it's hilarious to compare my time with them with raocow's. The Sniper Joe one was by far the most difficult out of the first five for me and one of the most difficult in the entire set but raocow just breezes through it. The bomb run one I beat in like 2-3 tries but raocow took like half the video to do it despite being far ebtter at platformers than I am.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Leet wrote:
I feel like the talkhaus should be the last place to fall for "mario maker is at all significant as a work". level editors have existed for almost as long as videogames and mario maker does nothing new other than being an official mario product

Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?
Leet wrote: 5 years ago Lode Runner. Excitebike. Boulderdash. Rayman. King's Field.
I think these examples are waaay too obscure. except for excitebike and arguably rayman. But all these examples lack something critical, shareability.
If you are going to talk about more general games with level editors, you should start with Starcraft and Warcraft 3. Since scenario editor content is more popular than the standard modes of play.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago King's Field
imagine a real-life-core raocow LP of king's field iv

probably shorter than the break man video

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?
Super Meat Boy and Knytt Stories
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?

Adding in the feature to seamlessly download and play the video game without having to exit the game or go to a 3rd party website is what I'd argue is the novel aspect, specifically for platformers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to download new levels for knytt stories or meatboy you have to download those levels from some 3rd party website.

Leet wrote: Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
A feature existing and being popularized are really important distinctions. The saturn and dreamcast had RPG maker games, I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older rpg maker games. They languish in obscurity and the Steam RPG maker reigns supreme on this niche arena.

The idea of level editing isn't novel, but the system behind sharing the levels is the novel thing! 4/5 of those games you listed, if you wanted to share the level you made, you'd have to footpad/mail your memory card over and then copy the level over to your friend's memory card.
The thing that makes Mario Maker novel, is that any 10 year old child can easily access to a bunch of crappy levels without ever needing to leave the game, If they want to make and share levels they can do so without ever leaving or fiddling with programs outside of Mario Maker.

This is why I brought up Warcraft 3 thing. Why was Dota so popular, back in the day? because even a dumb 13 year old Zummorr could download it through Warcraft 3 and play without needing to jump through any hoops. Ease of use and distribution of platformer levels is the primary innovation that happened with Mario Maker.

Since we're talking about Megaman and Level Editors. This was going to be the primary feature of Megaman Universe in 2010. But the game was canceled. Probably for the best, Mettoman is kinda nightmarish.
eww that Roll art.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I mean, that's a solid defense of Mario Maker, but that still doesn't warrant Mega Man Powered Up being compared to it/being called ahead of its time for doing something everyone else was already doing. What I'm saying is we really have to stop using popularity as a guideline for what does and does not exist. This is a problem hyper endemic to games in particular.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'll narrow it down even further because my point's just not being made well. Mascot platformers with both level editors and challenge modes are not that huge of a thing. Little Big Planet and Mario Maker are the two big ones of those I can think of in modern times (Think Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP era and on). Powered Up predates both of those games. All I'm getting at here, Leet! Not trying to make it a competition or anything.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago I mean, that's a solid defense of Mario Maker, but that still doesn't warrant Mega Man Powered Up being compared to it/being called ahead of its time for doing something everyone else was already doing. What I'm saying is we really have to stop using popularity as a guideline for what does and does not exist. This is a problem hyper endemic to games in particular.
"[Blank] Is the Dark Souls of [Blank]"
For the worse, bad comparisons seem kinda normal.

Any platformer that has a level editor is probably going to be compared to Mario mMaker since we live in a post Mario Maker world. It's popular, and people have youtubed a ton content from it.

I'd argue, the number of eyes on an idea is fundamentally linked to its relevance. [Quality can be independent of popularity.]
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago

Adding in the feature to seamlessly download and play the video game without having to exit the game or go to a 3rd party website is what I'd argue is the novel aspect, specifically for platformers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to download new levels for knytt stories or meatboy you have to download those levels from some 3rd party website.

Leet wrote: Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
A feature existing and being popularized are really important distinctions. The saturn and dreamcast had RPG maker games, I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older rpg maker games. They languish in obscurity and the Steam RPG maker reigns supreme on this niche arena.

The idea of level editing isn't novel, but the system behind sharing the levels is the novel thing! 4/5 of those games you listed, if you wanted to share the level you made, you'd have to footpad/mail your memory card over and then copy the level over to your friend's memory card.
The thing that makes Mario Maker novel, is that any 10 year old child can easily access to a bunch of crappy levels without ever needing to leave the game, If they want to make and share levels they can do so without ever leaving or fiddling with programs outside of Mario Maker.

This is why I brought up Warcraft 3 thing. Why was Dota so popular, back in the day? because even a dumb 13 year old Zummorr could download it through Warcraft 3 and play without needing to jump through any hoops. Ease of use and distribution of platformer levels is the primary innovation that happened with Mario Maker.

Since we're talking about Megaman and Level Editors. This was going to be the primary feature of Megaman Universe in 2010. But the game was canceled. Probably for the best, Mettoman is kinda nightmarish.
eww that Roll art.
The newest RPG Maker is only popular because is the newest version of a long running series. 200x was much more iconic.

PS: Lode Runner was obscure?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago
The ancient era of computers is pretty much in my blind spot. And considering that it's only even been mentioned a handful of times years ago on talkhaus. Yeah I'd say it's obscure.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago
The ancient era of computers is pretty much in my blind spot. And considering that it's only even been mentioned a handful of times years ago on talkhaus. Yeah I'd say it's obscure.
Then I'll be sure to mention it more often in your presence this year.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of Lode Runner. ^^;
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

It's worth remembering that the caveman that discovered making fire with flint was probably far more influential on the entirety of human history than the caveman that discovered making fire by being struck by lightning, even if the latter came first.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I really wouldn't have thought that rao would have this much trouble adapting.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

One thing that always bugged me about the fact that the challenges just look like level editor levels ( and, yes, level editor levels do just look like that ) is that

you can't

actually set any goal to level editor levels besides "beat the boss!"

( granted you could still emulate "get the retry flag" stages by setting the boss to, iirc, a party ball, but still )
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago I really wouldn't have thought that rao would have this much trouble adapting.
me too honestly
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

for what it's worth, I think it's a good thing zelda classic is semi-obscure, as if it got immensely popular, it'd probably get shut down