(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mega Man Powered Up Downloadable Levels - Served Before the Server Closes

Post by SAJewers »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago that's baffling. apparently this game is on the internet archive? guess you can see how much sony cares about the PSP/PS Vita/portable gaming in general nowadays... ignoring how they apparently are only JUST figuring they should close the servers, of course.

speaking of, raocow mentioned a Mystery Archivist™ was responsible for handing over the files for these notable levels; is the plan to publicly distribute this archive at some point, or what? (it turns out looking up "mega man powered up construct levels archive" just confuses google. yes, we did try this.)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago that's baffling. apparently this game is on the internet archive? guess you can see how much sony cares about the PSP/PS Vita/portable gaming in general nowadays... ignoring how they apparently are only JUST figuring they should close the servers, of course.
everything is on internet archive that's where i get my roms
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i regret to announce that im downloading megaman romhack editors and japanese documentation (barely any westerners hack them, barely any japanese these days) because of this series

im never making a collab out of these, the editors for 2-6 are in japanese, so is most documentation, and asm hacking uses ips patches and hex editors from what i can tell. i can handle that, but i'm also not normal, lmao (i'll probs never be himajin or puresabe though, and im fine with that)

it's also partly from me being on a high from experimenting with rpg maker 2k-mz and lunar magic more. i want to try out smbx2 and zc more, practice godot and game maker studio, learn sonic hacking too. i probably won't release anything. i'm not good enough to make anything i'd willingly sell but art for art's sake is relaxing
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago i regret to announce that im downloading megaman romhack editors and japanese documentation (barely any westerners hack them, barely any japanese these days) because of this series

im never making a collab out of these, the editors for 2-6 are in japanese, so is most documentation, and asm hacking uses ips patches and hex editors from what i can tell. i can handle that, but i'm also not normal, lmao (i'll probs never be himajin or puresabe though, and im fine with that)

it's also partly from me being on a high from experimenting with rpg maker 2k-mz and lunar magic more. i want to try out smbx2 and zc more, practice godot and game maker studio, learn sonic hacking too. i probably won't release anything. i'm not good enough to make anything i'd willingly sell but art for art's sake is relaxing
we don't think anyone's made a mega mans collab in the form of a romhack... Ever, actually. usually that uses megamix engine/some other engine (that's what the MaGMMLs used), usually mega mans romhacks are in fact reserved for full game hacks. also, we think we may know what you mean by "the editors for 2-6 are all japanese text" bc we think we've tried using them before pfffff
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

dengeki magazine had a lot of fun with this thing
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just have a smile on my face watching Mega Man platforming stuff again. Feels like it's been a while, and I guess it has since MM11 was released in September 2018.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

dengeki playstation coming in clutch with the VIPcore

fitting that this is played as I'm watching the last VIP2 replay
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago we don't think anyone's made a mega mans collab in the form of a romhack... Ever, actually. usually that uses megamix engine/some other engine (that's what the MaGMMLs used), usually mega mans romhacks are in fact reserved for full game hacks. also, we think we may know what you mean by "the editors for 2-6 are all japanese text" bc we think we've tried using them before pfffff
There was Rockman: Spirits of Hackers but it was unfinished and handled by experienced JP folk only. This one troll who I think pretended to be a cute nerdy girl, Ririka, kind of poisoned the waters after leaking a prototype of it, Rockman 6 Skype at the time, asking Puresabe to edit Yuki Miyuki's hack, Rockman 5 Air Sliding with Kirby music (they were super into Kirby) without permission by I think impersonating Yuki, stringing Puresabe along to make them a metroidvania proof of concept called Rockman & the Amazing Mirror, photoshopping a bunch of "ASM hacks" for their "hack" that didn't exist, called Rockman Magical Signal!, and lastly, leaking Puresabe's Rockman 5 Model a hack, an old version of Minus Infinity, an old version of Himajin Zichiku's Rockman CX, and Dhi's unfinished Rockman 6 Innocent.

It's kind of super sad, you can read about it here, but it's in Japanese, thanks Rockman2ips anon.

p.s. i wish SOPHIA finished his super mario world hack with like janky fire emblem gba overworld tiles, it looked super cute
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago dengeki playstation coming in clutch with the VIPcore

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago we don't think anyone's made a mega mans collab in the form of a romhack... Ever, actually. usually that uses megamix engine/some other engine (that's what the MaGMMLs used), usually mega mans romhacks are in fact reserved for full game hacks. also, we think we may know what you mean by "the editors for 2-6 are all japanese text" bc we think we've tried using them before pfffff
There was Rockman: Spirits of Hackers but it was unfinished and handled by experienced JP folk only. This one troll who I think pretended to be a cute nerdy girl, Ririka, kind of poisoned the waters after leaking a prototype of it, Rockman 6 Skype at the time, asking Puresabe to edit Yuki Miyuki's hack, Rockman 5 Air Sliding with Kirby music (they were super into Kirby) without permission by I think impersonating Yuki, stringing Puresabe along to make them a metroidvania proof of concept called Rockman & the Amazing Mirror, photoshopping a bunch of "ASM hacks" for their "hack" that didn't exist, called Rockman Magical Signal!, and lastly, leaking Puresabe's Rockman 5 Model a hack, an old version of Minus Infinity, an old version of Himajin Zichiku's Rockman CX, and Dhi's unfinished Rockman 6 Innocent.

It's kind of super sad, you can read about it here, but it's in Japanese, thanks Rockman2ips anon.

p.s. i wish SOPHIA finished his super mario world hack with like janky fire emblem gba overworld tiles, it looked super cute
holy whoa. not everyday you see something like this so thoroughly preserved. sounds like a total NIGHTMARE and we can kinda see why every mega man collab was engine-based with stuff like... That, happening over in japan, while romhacks of mega mans 2-6 outside of japan were. Nigh Nonexistent, due to the language barrier of the actual utilities. we've heard of the R4MI leaks, but never what ACTUALLY EVEN CAUSED THEM. that sure explains that much!
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago holy whoa. not everyday you see something like this so thoroughly preserved. sounds like a total NIGHTMARE and we can kinda see why every mega man collab was engine-based with stuff like... That, happening over in japan, while romhacks of mega mans 2-6 outside of japan were. Nigh Nonexistent, due to the language barrier of the actual utilities. we've heard of the R4MI leaks, but never what ACTUALLY EVEN CAUSED THEM. that sure explains that much!
It's stuff like this that makes me wish I followed the final 2ch SMW threads more closely, for the internet historian in me (not that one New Zealander). Puresabe and Rock2ips' pages describe Ririka as a psychopath, but Ririka seems more like an outright stalker, similar to the type you see in Kiwi Farms and the like. I feel like it's more complicated and much more dire than just "x is a psycho", but Japan's understanding of psychology isn't the best, sadly, iirc.

There are a few Megaman 2+ hacks by English internet users but iirc the older ones were made with older tools, DOS and whatnot. Winternight steals some music from JP hacks (and some of Anandastoon's? not sure) so it could use Rock5easily's editor in that case, I'm not sure. No idea what Ridley X uses and I'm not sure if I want to know lol

Mega Man X1 has an editor by Xeeynamo which is very Lunar Magic in appearance, but it seems to be little utilized. I've seen SOPHIA use it in the past for a basic graphics and level design hack but no one else. I've downloaded it anyway, I'd love to mess with boss and enemy parameters, JP MM1-6 hacker style but I'd have to figure out the RAM and ROM map.

I'm thinking of studying the code of RM6 and SMW in debuggers so, we'll see what happens. Stayed up all night again, this time downloading documentation for SMW.
Image Image
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Mega Man X1 has an editor by Xeeynamo which is very Lunar Magic in appearance, but it seems to be little utilized. I've seen SOPHIA use it in the past for a basic graphics and level design hack but no one else. I've downloaded it anyway, I'd love to mess with boss and enemy parameters, JP MM1-6 hacker style but I'd have to figure out the RAM and ROM map.
I remember using it around 2010-11. It was certainly not as user friendly as LM, but that could have been because I was dumb, I had a bad computer, or that a lot more things in MMX are hardcoded than SMW. The latter was my opinion at the time, but then again, see the first option. I think I still have my hack somewhere (Argu's footage is gone), but it is BAD. There's a clump of garbled graphics near the end of the intro stage that didn't appear in the editor, but do in the hack. I also filled text boxes with Talkhaus memes at the time, maybe some haven't aged well, idk. And the drop halfway through Armadillo is a spike tunnel, especially fun because it isn't actually smooth like MMX wants you to think.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago dengeki playstation coming in clutch with the VIPcore

im saving this article to read for when i can use Translate Entire Page but im surprised that puresabe hasnt ended up as a recluse, misanthrope, or both after this. this is some joker arc-starting shit
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There are two sets of stages. The ones created by Capcom like the Ultimate Oil Man stage you did, and the ones created by gaming magazines that were published by Capcom. Should be a 25 Capcom, 16 magazine split, not counting any unofficial ones you've done.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

descriptioncow is right this is super cute
TiKi wrote: 1 year ago im saving this article to read for when i can use Translate Entire Page but im surprised that puresabe hasnt ended up as a recluse, misanthrope, or both after this. this is some joker arc-starting shit
i hope the megaman hacking circle was enough of a support system for him
ultratowel112 wrote: 1 year ago I remember using it around 2010-11.
i'll try to give it a shot, keeping what you say in mind.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

smwcp man powered up
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm glad to have never worked at Gamespy said everyone that played this level and never worked at Gamespy while they were around.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"What Time Slow?" asked the Game Spy, smiling maliciously.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

&: So, we decided to look up what happened to GameSpy, just to know what the hey must've happened at a place that made such a sadistic level as the one yesterday...

&: ...We can't say it was surprising. This is why you got replaced by Wiimmfi!
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago p.s. i wish SOPHIA finished his super mario world hack with like janky fire emblem gba overworld tiles, it looked super cute
yo yo yo yo what? Do you have screenshots of this? As a primarily GBA FE modder, this sounds adorable.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

"BOMBS!", I shout, before doing Zelda switch puzzles to go to and back. It's a simple enough one that doesn't drag on at the very least. Wouldn't have been out of place in the Challenge missions, honestly.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

This was advertising Red Hot Rumble's PSP port btw. Do switch puzzles have any sort of bearing on RHR? I haven't played it yet, haven't played any Viewtiful Joe game yet, actually. I should, though.

PSP!Bomb Man is super cute though, I'd hold his hand (a lot of Mega Man bosses are cuties).
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago p.s. i wish SOPHIA finished his super mario world hack with like janky fire emblem gba overworld tiles, it looked super cute
yo yo yo yo what? Do you have screenshots of this? As a primarily GBA FE modder, this sounds adorable.
Sadly not, he closed his twitter down back in like 2020? I'm not sure if he even has any accounts anywhere anymore outside of possibly shitposting on 2ch. People used to be kind of rude to his MM hacks because of his level design skills not being the best (very flat etc) so he probably doesn't want to deal with that anymore.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Pretty sure Red Hot Rumble's just this Smash and Mario Party minigame clone. Not good or bad, it just exists.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago Pretty sure Red Hot Rumble's just this Smash and Mario Party minigame clone. Not good or bad, it just exists.
Yes, I got that from reading the wikipedia page like months back, but I'm asking like, does this stage have anything to do with Red Hot Rumble, or is it just another gimmick stage to promote thing? I have no problem if it is, just q-rious.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Oh, it's just a promotional stage. There's nothing really in common with it at all.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

it's so weird that all these promotional levels basically have huge billboards for what they're promoting (which we can only assume are EXCLUSIVE to these levels, by the way? has anyone found a way to like hack in a custom billboard to a level?), and just how much of a time capsule they all feel like. like when has anyone thought of gameinformer in the year 2022? or gamespy? or the idea of viewtiful joe being an upcoming game?

these levels are like. as dated as mega man powered up is as a game. which sounds like a totally asinine thing to say until you kinda just, take in the fact that yeah, actually, there's an officially distributed, licensed mega man level with a billboard for some japanese ps2 magazine, because the ps3 hadn't yet supplanted it yet to enough people. y'know, because that's what it was just kinda like in 2006. raocow pointed out these had the same energy as early ROMhacks and like... yeah, actually! that seems about right! we guess it's just kinda human nature that, if someone is given a level editor and told to make something Good In Specific (so as to avoid super mario maker little timmy-esque asset soup zones), this sort of thing is somehow what routinely crops up. it's like carcinisation, but for level editors.

...also, whoever thought a screw should be allowed to be placed on top of a count bomb is EVIL and should be FIRED from EVERYTHING (kidding but also WOW that's sadistic conceptually)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, it'd be tough for the PS3 to subplant the PS2 even without all the issues it wound up having since these levels were released all throughout 2006 while the PS3 released in mid-November.