(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mega Man 3 - Classic Rock vs. Blues

Post by Kilgamayan »

I wouldn't even place Hard Man's theme in my Top 5 favorite MegaMan 3 songs but I hate saying that because it's still really bangin' and doesn't deserve such disparagement. This is the curse of having a top-to-bottom face-rocking OST.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago This boss is so tough to fight without getting hit for me. I hardly ever get around the flying fists when they're on the way back. It's that whole shoot and dodge thing. I can do one at a time, not both.
As RoahmMythril discovered, the safest approach is to always get to the far edge of the screen when fists are flying at you. If you make it there in time, then the fists actually go offscreen entirely and don't boomerang back.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

The earthquake owns because it stops you completely, but hard man can't actually capialize on that because once he's up you can move again. It just makes the fight longer.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I'm neither a Top Spin lover nor hater, but I did always find it an effective way to deal with those damn, dirty apes in this level. I mean, Magnet Missile is probably the easiest way to deal with them, but also the more broadly applicable weapon (while at the same time not have a huge amount of ammo, making it a good idea not to throw around at everything an anything), so why not use your more specialized tools in the situations where their specialties are particularly useful?

What's interesting about Proto Man in this stage is that not only does the terrain actually seem to be designed to take his stupid movement pattern in to account this time, he also appears much later in the stage than he normally does; whereas in the other stages, the Proto Man duel is a few screens from the beginning of the level, here it's just a few screens from the end. On the whole, this feels like the one instance where they actually tried to work the Proto Man battle in to the stage as a legitimate obstacle, rather than a mostly cosmetic encounter with this mysterious dude. Pity it doesn't come through in the video so much.

As for Hard Man himself, I find he's one of the easier bosses (probably second only to Top Man) to arm cannon duel when it comes to simply defeating him before he defeats you, but as noted above, dodging both of the hands is not an easy task, meaning some damage is almost inevitable every round. In that respect, he basically comes a slightly more complex Fire Man. And yeah, that earthquake is pretty weird; on the one hand, it's undodgeable; on the other hand, it's completely irrelevant insofar as Hard Man himself is also immobilized while it'd going on. Perhaps the intent was fully cosmetic and we've just been too strongly conditioned by other enemies with seismic attacks. The fact that æsthetically, Hard Man's stage is basically a nicer-looking version of Guts Man's (whose earthquakes are relevant, even if he's still a chump even with them) probably doesn't help on this front.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Hard Man's theme is one of my favorites too. This remix is one of my most-played workout songs.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow via YT wrote:once you get hard, that's how you beat the guy on top
wow
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Hard Man's earthquake isn't entirely irrelevant - it runs out invincibility frames, so if you actually get landed on by Hard Man, you're getting hit twice; once when he lands, and once again when the earthquake wears off while you're stuck still contacting him. (This can work against Hard Man as well if you can shoot him just as he lands and again just as the earthquake wears off.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Hard Man's theme is the absolute best.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Mega Man 3 is going on, and I still haven't posted about it? Shame on me, but I'm here now. This is just going to be a big globule of thoughts up to where raocow's at.

It's tied for my favorite Mega Man game (the other one of which is going to appear much later...), and there's a fair few reasons why. Weapon selection is great, as the only real bad weapon is Spark Shot, which just freezes enemies (I didn't know that it could even kill grenades until that run through Shadow Man's stage...)

Magnet Man's yoku blocks are just kind of there as an obstacle. Either you get past them very fast or get stuck on them for a long time. Has an easy pattern and a great weapon... it's another ideal starting point for the inquisitive Mega Man.

I love the theme of Spark Man's stage, and despise doing that last portion with the rising blocks and floating bolts without the Rush Jet. I am still confused how raocow didn't take a death there... The level shows an early example of nailing atmosphere, which is something Mega Man 3 does very well. The drop's probably also there for the rush.

Shadow Man... I actually decided to start with him when I first played the game, not knowing any better... Thanks to me being very, very, stubborn, I also beat him. The grenades are rough if you don't get the first shot at them, but not seeing the floor is... not actually an issue, if you keep your eyes sharp to enemy placement. Shadow Man's entirely a reaction fight, and standing a bit away from the wall is how to do it, meaning his slide can't hit you super easily. Shadow Blade is fun to use, since it's so versatile. And I still like the theme here. It's pretty catchy.

Top Man has a bizarre stage. I'm not sure what it's representing, but there are both cats and screws. If there's any stage to look at to see how oddball Mega Man has become as a series, it's this one. It's also an ideal starting stage, as it's pretty simple, and Top Man's a bit of a pushover...

And now we come to today. I also underappreciated Hard Man's theme. It's super good. Not my favorite, but up there. Probably is in my top 20 Mega Man tracks somewhere. The stage is a little dull (but not nearly as much as his cousin Stone Man), which might be why the song has received little praise. Hard Man's difficult to take no damage from, but easy to just beat. Those knuckles are alright, just a bit difficult to use.

By the way... if you didn't already know, there's a wild Pink comment out there. I suggest that you take her advice when you get to the Wily stages... Top Spin's weird, but I always thought it was okay. It's a polarizing weapon... and for good reason. Bees also wreck Top Spin, which is pretty funny.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Heck yeah Hard Man's theme owns

When I decided to take up piano playing again for videogame songs because I'm so bored of Mozart, it was the first sheet music I downloaded. I like Needle Man better, especially to play, though; it's completely insane with two interweaving melodies playing almost independently in both hands. Super difficult but super satisfying with the weirdest fucking rhythm (all the songs do, tbh).
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Oh yeah, I was planning on mentioning the Battle Network equivalents of some of these robot masters when there was something noteworthy to say since I'm also fairly familiar with that series. I was so caught up in the top spin debate I forgot to mention that Top Man makes an appearance in Battle Network 4 and he's an old man for some reason
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

why would a robot smoke
HOW would a robot smoke ?!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago why would a robot smoke
Robots have stress too
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago why would a robot smoke
He's not a robot, he's an app. Get on with the program, man.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I still think Magnet Man's theme is the best, and The Megas cover of it is amazing and tragic/hilarious

But Hard Man is definitely up there. MM3 has a killer OST.
Mister Apple
Officially proclaimed 'wildly unfunny '.

Post by Mister Apple »

I hope one of these episodes is named after a They Might Be Giants song. I don't see it happening, but it'd be cool.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the rules are incredibly strick, but TMBG is one of those 'jump at the opportunity if it ever happens' band.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 6 years agowhy would a robot smoke
It's not exactly unheard of for electronics to short out or overheat. I'd reckon the same is totally possible for a robot so it shouldn't be impossible for one to start smoking. It'd even be hazardous to their health.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

But they are executable programs in Battle Network.

Say, there was a couple fangames raocow played, one where the MM1 Robot Masters took on the MM2 Robot Master, and the sequel where its MM2 Vs. MM3.
Has a 3rd game (MM3>MM4) been made? In the works?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years agoHas a 3rd game (MM3>MM4) been made? In the works?
I'm pretty sure Day in the Limelight 3 ceased development after the v0.2 beta a few years back.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Aww....
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 6 years agoHas a 3rd game (MM3>MM4) been made? In the works?
I'm pretty sure Day in the Limelight 3 ceased development after the v0.2 beta a few years back.
From what I can piece together, someone else had picked it up over at Fusion Gameworks, but then the FG team decided to cease development of all fangames
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, Needle Man is a tough one. Not only trying to do it buster only, but even with his weakness, if you miss with the gemini laser (which isn't uncommon since he jumps around so much), you basically have to stick around and dodge in slow motion for 12 minutes until the laser disappears and you can fire another one.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

needle man is a real pain (which i guess makes sense considering what he is). he deals a bunch of damage and his needles are obnoxiously hard to dodge. want to use his weakness? hope you like playing mega man in bullet time cause you're gonna be there for a while as gemini laser struggles to do anything but make the game struggle to handle a laser plus some needles maybe
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Just for the record... E-Tanks are *not* lost if you Game Over. In fact, the number of them you have is saved in the password. Fond memories as a child of using a password to start a new game with nine E-Tanks. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.