(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Mega Man 10 - The Long Goodbye

Post by Crow »

boy that boss sure was a boss

i remember this stage pretty well but not the boss, forgot how sleep-inducing it is

boss who spends most of the time invincible is not fun
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Sheep Man is cool. I'm surprised he's been received so poorly.

He also makes me think of the Sheep Man in Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I've never understood the hate for Sheep Man. He's so cute and the dream theme is fun.

And now that I've played the game as of recently and thus seen more than a single picture of it it I love his stage too.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago boss who spends most of the time invincible is not fun
To be fair, you can knock him out of it with his weakness.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I mean sure but all bosses should be designed with buster in mind, especially in a game where any boss can be selected first
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I think this fight is pretty fun. For some reason, the first thing that comes to mind in my recollection of 100%ing this game years ago is the challenge where you have to beat Sheep Man on hard mode, no damage with just the buster. The clouds shoot their lightning down way faster (there's less of a delay between each one taking its turn), all of strikes shoot out the lighting balls in both directions instead of just the last one, and Sheep Man's jumps shoot out the same lightning balls when he lands too. It ends up making for a pretty hectic fight and I remember it took me a long time.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Sheep man is cute.

His weapon is too niche, if it auto adjusted itself to be over enemies it would be much more usable. Or if it had the ground shockwave.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

thunder wool is so frustrating because like if
· the cloud didn't despawn
· it didn't take so long to actually fire
· the lightning was worth using it
any of those was different, it'd be an amazing and really fun weapon

and like, those aren't even changing the weapon itself, it's just nerfed by parameters
which fits this game and protoman
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

There's actually kind of a running theme with the special weapons in this game where you don't want to hit enemies with the weapon itself, but with some effect that it creates. This is the first instance of that, but like 5/8 of the weapons incentivize not just shooting the enemy directly.
They're all kinda hard to use though, so it's not really worth it.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Most boss order lists for MM10 recommend Sheep Man first, not because Sheep Man's weapon is good like with most boss orders, but because most people find him the easiest to buster only (on easy and normal difficulties at least).
Thunder Wool is Pump Man's weakness, who gives you

the game's shield weapon

so there's a second reason.

I like to think that Sheep Man is weak to Strike Man's weapon because Strike Man is the kind of star player on the high school sportsball team who shoves nerds like Sheep Man into lockers.
Sheepman.png
Sheepman.png (123.93 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Sheep Man's level is pretty good, and I think has a bunch of inventive mini-gimmicks that push the faux-NES style quite well to what it can do. Would be better without Yokus (the old refrain), but at least they're very very kind to the player.

I like that you can take out most enemies in the level before they do much. Many other levels don't grant you that mercy, or require you to be really quick on the draw...or extremely good at placing your awkward special weapons. It's a good starter for that reason, too.

Even the Shield Attackers are placed in pretty gentle ways.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Yoku's that aren't in "gotcha" setups are fine.
Leylite
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Leylite »

Yeah, making them not be over instant death, just damage (or wasting time) goes a long way to making them more tolerable.
Crow

Post by Crow »

next up: all the protomens
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I really like this stage but that's only after knowing how to easily stay in position during sandstorms, and how to just dash through that final section with the wind blowing behind you.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

raocow: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it shoves me into spikes."

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! COMMANDO MAN

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

Commando Man (コマンドマン Komando Man) is a Robot Master made to clear minefields using his remote detonation weapon, Commando Bomb. He is able to stun the player by pounding the ground, and shoots Commando Bombs that home in on Mega Man, Proto Man, or Bass. Commando Man is said to inflict serious amounts of damage. His stage is set in a desert which has a vicious sandstorm that can obstruct the player's vision and push them into pits or other hazards.

Before contracting Roboenza, Commando Man was a mine-sweeping robot who used remote detonation techniques to clear minefields all over the world. He greatly enjoys travelling for his job, as it gives him the chance to sample machine oils all over the world. He also writes reviews of the machine oils he samples in his spare time and posts them to his personal website.

Commando Man's strategy is to mainly fire Commando Bombs at the player while jumping around the room. He can fire them while on the ground and at the apex of a jump, while the bomb will arc down when fired from above, if the player passes under it. When Commando Man jumps high and raises his arms as he drops down, he will cause an earthquake that holds the player in place. A Commando Bomb can be easily avoided by jumping over it when he fires it on the ground (though it has a small chance of arcing up), while an aerial Commando Bomb should be avoided by getting to the side of the stage that has more space. The player should be careful as the shockwave from the bomb reaches out and can still hit them. If Commando Man jumps high, the player should jump to avoid the earthquake.

On Hard Mode he gets a new attack: he jumps low with his arms risen, creates an earthquake as he lands to stun the player by punching the ground, and creates an explosive shockwave that travels all the way across the room. The earthquake can be avoided by jumping, whereas the player should jump a second time to avoid the shockwave. He is vulnerable to attacks as long as he has not jumped too high.

His weakness is the Wheel Cutter, and it can cancel out a Commando Bomb when it collides with it, without causing a harmful explosion. It defeats him in seven hits.

Trivia
Commando Man was one of Search Man's early names.
Commando Man was the second Robot Master from Mega Man 10 to be revealed to the public.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Fucking love being forced to wait around while instant death surrounds me and some of the most annoying staple enemies get made more annoying by the stage gimmick

Also I can't see shit

Great level

At least the boss is fair...this time.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago Fucking love being forced to wait around while instant death surrounds me and some of the most annoying staple enemies get made more annoying by the stage gimmick

Also I can't see shit

Great level
this but unironic
to clarify, i mean i like the level because of basically everything said here
Last edited by CrappyBlueLuigi 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh whatever, it's a fine level. The trick is to find items/enemies to track your position like raocow did (or tried to), or find a safe block to push up against (which there are many of) while the sand is coming. Also you can ride the sand that pushes you forward and it's pretty fun.

Also raocow remember when you complained that MM9 didn't have quick weapon switching and then they gave it to you and now you're not using it!
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Commando man's weapon is probably the best one. It's both fun and useful. You can hit enemies basically wherever with it and the damage is solid.

My favorite use of it is shooting and immediately tapping down to bomb the ground right in front of me.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm not using it because 9 trained me to use the menu :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 10 - The Fractal Greeting

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago I'm not using it because 9 trained me to use the menu :O
Megaman 10 has
menu
can
trust

no i don't know what that means.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

I feel like most workplaces in the mega man world are built like there's a tour group of fifth graders ready to come through at any time. Would explain the giant faucets, anyway.

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! PUMP MAN

"LET'S CLEAN UP THIS MESS!"

Pump Man (ポンプマン Ponpu Man) is a Robot Master created to run a wastewater treatment plant. He can create a shield of water droplets around himself and release them in several directions.

With a body built to handle even the strongest storms, Pump Man worked at a wastewater treatment plant, purifying the water that came through using his Water Shield. He also volunteered his time to wash graffiti off of walls in his neighborhood, mostly because he is a bit of a "neat freak". This often leads him into conflict with the more artistically inclined residents around him.

In battle, Pump Man starts off by creating a Water Shield. He then jumps around trying to tackle the player's character until eventually firing off his Water Shield, whose coverage will change depending on how many bubbles the player was able to break.

On Easy Mode, Pump Man's Water Shield only has four bubbles instead of eight. He also jumps only one time before firing the Water Shield.

On Normal mode, Pump Man's water shield has eight bubbles.

On Hard Mode, Pump Man has an extra attack in which he tosses his pump handle at the player like a boomerang, doing extremely high damage.

His weakness is Thunder Wool, as it can hit him multiple times, and it also pierces and destroys his shield; however, only the lightning bolt has these properties, and Pump Man will effectively cancel out the attack if he hits the wool itself. The Mirror Buster can also be used against him in Hard mode when he throws his pump handle.

(Archie Comics)

Pump Man first appeared in the Worlds Collide crossover, as part of the Robot Master army fighting agains the heroes. Along with Aqua Man, he teamed up with Splash Woman to attack Amy Rose, only for Tails to swoop in and carry her away. He later attempted to fire a blast at Proto Man, also hitting Blaze the Cat in the process, but Proto Man used his shield to defend himself.

He later made his official debut in issue 32, where he aided in the restoration efforts of the planet in the days following Ra Moon's destruction, by pumping out excess water.

Trivia
Pump Man and Chill Man are the only Robot Masters in Mega Man 10 to have faces; the others just have black slits with eyes in them.
Despite having a cannon in his right arm, he does not pump any of the Water Shield Bubbles from it. Instead, it is used to pump water into him to turn it into the Water Shield.
In his official artwork, Pump Man has white shoulder spheres and yellow arms. However, due to color limitations, his shoulder spheres are blue and his arms are light blue in his sprite. In addition, Pump Man has a yellow ring around his chest cannon and a red belt around his waist. Neither of these are visible in his in-game sprite.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Protoman's charge shots destroy the bubbles which makes this fight a lot more interactive. If you shoot a charged shot as pump man is falling, and he lands on it, it can both destroy some of his bubbles and also damage him because he's moving fast enough downwards that the charged shot collides with both before it vanishes.

I like this level's music a lot. It's a grimy melancholy tone.

I agree about a lot of the weapons in this game being underwhelming, but Pump man's is completely fine. I think people are just used to busted good shield weapons, especially after 9.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Yeah, a charge shot would be nice to have for a boss that's only vulnerable for a short period of time (discounting the get-in-his-face method), and a slide would be nice to dodge the short hops, but I repeat myself...

This level is okay, but I really loathe the gunk Mets. In case it wasn't clear from the video, except for the first one raocow shot somehow, they will always dodge your first shot by closing their helmet. Then you have to sit there and wait for them to open up. Juuuust sit there twiddling your thumbs. It's infuriating, what an idiotic design. And if they do nail you with their shots, the best course of action (and in some cases the only good course) is to again just sit there and wait for it to stop fucking up your physics.

It's a huge problem I have with MM10 in general, it really loves making you wait for things. The flowers in Solar Man, the colored floors in Sheep Man, the sandstorm in Commando, and now this. Maybe I'm just too impatient, but I feel like it doesn't have to be this way. MM9 was so snappy and speedy, what happened to that design philosophy?