(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mega Man V - It Takes Five to Tango

Post by Kilgamayan »

You act incredulous about the bubble boss having the bomb weapon as though that doesn't also happen in the very next game. <_<
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the amount of time I spend thinking about megaman 7 is very little
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Granted!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I hope that changes after MM7 beats him up (also I hope it beats him up)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow wrote: I'm leaning no because it's part of the RPG series. Maybe it's very arbritary as far as decisions go but...
Network Transmission is complete trash so you really shouldn't feel bad about arbitrating out of it.

So, are you not curious about the special weapons in MMV at all, raocow? Most of them are pretty good, not necessarily in an obvious way either! I'll spoiler just in case my review of the ones you got.
To establish a theme at the start: most of the weapons in MMV take a lot of energy, there is a good reason for that, though. They also tend to be kind of hard to use effectively, but it's quite rewarding if you do.
Photon Missile: You set the missile, it stays there for a second, then flies off really quickly. You can use them as mines as long as they don't fly away - useful for jumping or falling enemies, or ones that like to get up in your grill - and it's a good semi-high damage forward weapon. The real trick is doing like the weapon demo shows: set two at once to obliterate things in front you need to die NOW.
Salt Water: it lobs a blob and the blob splits in globs. I'm not too hot on it personally, because MMV is somewhat lacking in situations where you'd really love to shoot downwards; as they can't give you much room to manouver aroung an enemy on a lower platform, the GB games often outright avoid these situations. Anyway, it's VERY awkward to hit things with the split shots, ideally two of them would double-hit and deal massive damage, but that's almost impossible to set up. It also takes too much energy for what it does.
Snatch/Grab Buster: It's great, but you wouldn't know unless you try it out. When you hit something with it, it'll always produce a small energy pellet that flies back to you and heals you. It's amazing in a pinch; you can kill things efficiently (two buster shots' worth of damage, iirc) AND exchange weapon for life energy. Super useful in these long levels.
Bubble Bomb: Exceptionally good for anything above you. A lot of enemies lurk on the ceiling, and as it travels ALONG the ceiling, it's far easier to hit things with it than you'd expect. You can also use it point-blank for a massive AOE explosion that gets rid of tiny enemies really easily. One of my faves.
Have fun with the rest of the game, it only gets better! That also applies for the other special weapons, there's some real gems there (it should come as no surprise to anyone that I especially adore Pluto's, you'll see why when raocow gets it).
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago the amount of time I spend thinking about megaman 7 is very little
I wonder if you'll have more appreciation for it after realizing it's basically the same in format as a Game Boy game on the SNES, especially with all those little touches the game has.

As for tonight, Venus' stage is fun, but that song loops way too quickly for how long the actual level is to me.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Kind of weird that this game has "bubbles" and "water" as completely separate stage themes.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Dustinvgmaster
Great Time Champion
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: obj_dustin.id

Post by Dustinvgmaster »

Oh man, Venus’ walk cycle is really quite incredible.
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

Well, well, well! Look who decided to register an account here just so they could contribute to the discussion!... and rather late, at that. Hello, everyone!

Anyway, since this series has gone through 13 games now over the span of 160 days (not counting the sick day), I might as well provide truncated versions of my thoughts on every game so far.

Mega Man: Obviously it's the first, so it starts off rough. It could do without the useless score system, but this was back when arcade games were a hot commodity.
Mega Man 2: The fan favorite and where everything truly kicks off. Great graphics. Great music. Broken Metal Blade. Still a little stiff.
Mega Man 3: Goodbye stiffness, hello slide! The speedrunner's best pal. The other fan favorite. Honestly feels unnecessarily long, mainly due to Doc Robots. Ew, Top Spin!
Mega Man (DOS): What happens when you give your character rights to a dev team comprised of mainly one person. I'm ashamed to say I played this one and beat it.
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge: The first Game Boy outing. Honestly feels rougher than the first game. But hey, Enker is in it. The "new weapon" screen freaked me out.
Mega Man 4: I really like this one. We get the Mega Buster and a new not villain. Feels quite a bit more weighted than 3. Some underrated tunes in this one. Also Eddie.
Mega Man II: Minakuchi > Biox. Some of the sprites in this are really scrunched up and ugly looking. Evil Mega Man creates a paradox to destroy the universe. Oopsie.
Mega Man 3 (DOS): Second verse, same as the first. The edited around portraits make me mad because you can tell how much not effort was put into this heap.
Mega Man 5: Proto Man's a bad guy?! Gasp! This one's like 4 but lighter on its feet. The Buster charges faster, which is nice. Cool bosses, bad weapons. Also Beat.
Mega Man III: Back to Minakuchi. Yay! This one's quite ruthless in terms of difficulty. See Dust and Dive stages. Not to mention the final one, too. Also, Punk.
Mega Man IV: So much polish, I love it! The intro is one of my all time favorites. Recycling content but still making it unique and cool. Great music. R.I.P. Ballade.
Mega Man 6: Breaking the slide jump makes me hate this one. They should've coded the Rush Adaptors better. Follow Mega Man as he defeats ethnic stereotyping!
Mega Man X: The first alternate series. Everything is more mature and violent. You got a dash and a wall jump. And this girl named Zero. Very cool, very fun to play.

Mega Man V is currently going on, so I'll let my thoughts on that continue as the series goes on. I remember hearing raocow say something about actually putting out a list of the games that he's going to cover. Could someone point me in the direction of that if it's not too much trouble? I'd appreciate it.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

PlugMeister wrote: 6 years agoMega Man V is currently going on, so I'll let my thoughts on that continue as the series goes on. I remember hearing raocow say something about actually putting out a list of the games that he's going to cover. Could someone point me in the direction of that if it's not too much trouble? I'd appreciate it.
Patreon Discord > coming_up_next channel, check pins. Behind a paywall, so I don't think I can reveal too much, but it's about what is expected (main series, X, Zero) plus a few unexpected games (fighting games, Game Gear thing, ??? (it's too surprising to reveal, okay)). ZX is not on list for some reason, although I suppose list is subject to change.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago???
Well, it's probably either Mocked No. 9, Super Adventure Rockman, or one of the Legends trio (1, 2, Misadventures).

Unless Darkwing Duck counts.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Patreon Discord > coming_up_next channel, check pins. Behind a paywall, so I don't think I can reveal too much, but it's about what is expected (main series, X, Zero) plus a few unexpected games (fighting games, Game Gear thing, ??? (it's too surprising to reveal, okay)). ZX is not on list for some reason, although I suppose list is subject to change.
Ah, I see. I guess only time will tell for me until I'm actually allowed to spend money on whatever I want. Thanks for letting me know, though! (As a huge Mega Man fan, I don't think three question marks have ever made me this curious in the past. Hah!)
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago Well, it's probably either Mocked No. 9, Super Adventure Rockman, or one of the Legends trio (1, 2, Misadventures).

Unless Darkwing Duck counts.
Mighty No. 9 would surely be an interesting choice solely based on its infamy. He better play it in French, though. I think that Super Adventure Rockman is out of the question since it's a choose-your-own-adventure game all in Japanese that has yet to receive a translation for the menus and a sub/dub for the FMV cutscenes. (Though a fan-made dub would be amazing.) Although Darkwing Duck does run on a modified Mega Man 5 engine, I think it's too far-fetched. Are the Legends games 3-D platformers? Because if so.. that might be the answer. (No hints, GlitchMr!)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I'm leaning no because it's part of the RPG series. Maybe it's very arbritary as far as decisions go but...
cop out :(
like not that I'd actually miss it but it would just be super amusing to have it but
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

hnggg....

how hard would it be to record, anyone knows
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago hnggg....

how hard would it be to record, anyone knows
I mean, it's a Gamecube game, so you have that or the Wii to go with. If you mean emulation, then no clue.

It is a platformer, though, but it'd still be a ways off anyway! It's cool you're still having fun with this series nearly five months in.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

While it is a platformer, it's also still very heavily tied to the chip-based system of the BN series.

And this time, the chips run out. I think.

Either way, that means grinding.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I don't recall grinding for anything in Network Transmission other than Double Jump chips, and that was only because I was impatient to be able to do 12 jumps in a row, which is entirely unnecessary for a normal run through the game. All other interesting/useful chips came to me in reasonable quantities just from playing through the game normally.

Chips are finite-use in any given stage, sure, but they all come back if you jack out and then jack back in.

All that being said, Network Transmission has some bullshit infuriating bosses if you don't really know what you're doing (BRIGHT MAN), which I can see possibly leading to a negativity video or two.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, having the chunks fly completely off the screen eliminates, like, 99% of the challenge of a Devil fight.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

cat planet
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

Super Mega Man Odyssey: The Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Moon was always kind of a chump. If you fire a Photon Missile at the peak of your jump every time you jump when his eye is open, you can get him down in about 2 cycles. Not to mention that standing at the very edge of the screen prevents you from getting hit by any of the bouncing pieces that are thrown by his top 2 rows.

Luckily, this is the last member of the Devil series of robots we'll be seeing for quite a while. I guess you could say that we're in the green when it comes to avoiding these guys. Heh heh heh...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

He's about as hard as an intermission stage boss should be, so there's that. Once you figure out the top two rows of segments bounce above your head harmlessly, it's a pretty easy fight to no-hit clear even. It's kind of neat that they were able to get a boss like that on the Game Boy to me for whatever reason.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago ZX is not on list for some reason, although I suppose list is subject to change.
If I had to guess, it's probably because the ZX games do the whole pseudo-Metroidvania thing, which would make it more difficult for raocow to divide those games up into the format he's using for this series.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing raocow do ZX + Advent at some point, but they're probably more suited to being their own B-Side thing rather than shoving them into this video series.
PlugMeister

Post by PlugMeister »

Although this is far off in the distant futurespace, when rao eventually gets to 1997, wil he be playing Mega Man X4 and onwards in Japanese to fit with the theme of the project, or will he be playing them in English as he did with his playthroughs of the SNES trilogy back in summer of last year?
raocow

Post by raocow »

not decided yet.
but I feel like when the story gets more important I probably *should* play in english
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago not decided yet.
but I feel like when the story gets more important I probably *should* play in english
not having elmer light would be a crime tbh
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage