(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mega Man X7 - Guest Starring: Mega Man X

Post by SAJewers »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago MN9 isn't anywhere near as bad as X7.
Hell, I wouldn't even say it's particularly BAD, it's just meh.
Yeah, my understanding is that it's not bad, just disappointing.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mea

Post by Mea »

I've only played MN9 on the Wii U where it had terrible slowdown issues. I don't know if the other platforms had the same issue, but it was my feeling that the gameplay was perfectly fine if it weren't for that. And even with the slowdown, though it could be that I'm tolerant towards games with bad slowdown. And maybe also to do with my expectations of a classic-Megaman experience not having been that high to begin with.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mea wrote: 5 years ago I've only played MN9 on the Wii U where it had terrible slowdown issues. I don't know if the other platforms had the same issue, but it was my feeling that the gameplay was perfectly fine if it weren't for that. And even with the slowdown, though it could be that I'm tolerant towards games with bad slowdown. And maybe also to do with my expectations of a classic-Megaman experience not having been that high to begin with.
I saw LoadingReadyRun stream the PC version, there was no slowdown at all. It didn't seem that bad at all, just sad and slightly frustrating.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

beavis and butthead?

i think this level broke the cow
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mea wrote: 5 years agoI've only played MN9 on the Wii U where it had terrible slowdown issues. I don't know if the other platforms had the same issue, but it was my feeling that the gameplay was perfectly fine if it weren't for that. And even with the slowdown, though it could be that I'm tolerant towards games with bad slowdown. And maybe also to do with my expectations of a classic-Megaman experience not having been that high to begin with.
PS4 and PC versions had a couple of bouts of slowdown, but the Wii U version was not optimized at all.

Going through tonight's vid right now, you can duck in 2D sections. Down on the D-Pad or stick, whatever you're using.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

over here!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago yup, this is gonna be spread out across three episodes, which is honestly what it should have been in the first place
do you get two whole days' reprieve from megamans now? Well deserved.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I tried running the outburst at 10:54 through Google Translate's automatic transcription.

I present to you, a play in 3 parts:

https://i.imgur.com/LH0f6OG.png
https://i.imgur.com/gEGulml.png
https://i.imgur.com/SGC1Wmr.png
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Red is such a hilarious trainwreck of a fight. Not only is the boss arena huge in a 3d game with a max range for lock on AND over a huge death pit, Red himself has a huge health bar, invincibility frames on half his moves, counters extremely fast if attacked at range, and spends 60% of the fight teleported safely out of harm's way.

Design notes on Red: "I had the grim reaper in mind when I designed Red. I gave him bags under his eyes and a sharp scythe to give him an evil look. The white lines I put in here and there are supposed to look like bones, and although it may not be the most original idea, I made the center of his torso look like a face with the pointed shoulder pieces being sharp horns." -
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago Unless your hate-boner for Mighty No 9 is truly enormous, there's nothing coming up that's even close to as terrible as X7 is, no.
Having completed both, I am only very marginally willing to give MN9 the slight edge here. X7 is a bad adaptation of a series that should be simple and fun, but MN9's problems come from its core imo. Do you like every enemy taking a billion years to kill and having to use a completely counterintuitive mechanic to defeat them, along with a lot of the trappings of older titles like instant death everywhere, and limited lives? Then maybe MN9 is a much better game.

I personally know someone that has run MN9 at GDQ, and it more or less seems like you just have to use special weapons to shorten a lot of the nonsense. Since raocow does not do that for first encounters, well......................
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been playing this game along with you here at the end. The Red fight forced me to use a Sub Tank because of him popping up right on my square a few times. You definitely don't get much time to react, but you do get to see the power of a move like Volt Tornado in action from someone other than the good guys because those things do not waste time in decimating everything in this game, including you. Shame the footage of that fight didn't save for whatever reason, but oh well.

Even knowing how most of the stage played, it still took me around 35-40 minutes to complete it, and it was a pretty good run. I'll wait until you're done with the game to upload and post it. Might have to split it up like you did, too. I don't know, but yeah, that's probably the worst thing about the whole stage even though a couple other parts drag on a bit.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Fun fact: you can, in fact, duck in X7.

Red is such a fantastically bad fight, it would already suck in a game with okay controls, but in X7 it's just hair-tearingly awful. Everything about the crappy engine works perfectly against you.

Now imagine you don't have X because you didn't bother saving your upgrades for him and spread them over Zero and Axl. Yes, he still counters Zero's melee. This is where I stopped my first attempt at X7.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Why are they even fighting!? Aaaagh I hate shonen
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Is wall jumping in 3d as janky as it looked? Because it looked super janky, I held my breath everytime the jump wasn't far enough to land directly on the platform.

And my earlier complaint about not being able to use aerial maneuvers returns here. Why restrict it after ground dashing? That makes no sense. And another, why change how different characters perform them? Having to hold the button from jump to hover is so unintuitive and limiting for a platforming game.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I tried running the outburst at 10:54 through Google Translate's automatic transcription.

I present to you, a play in 3 parts:

https://i.imgur.com/LH0f6OG.png
https://i.imgur.com/gEGulml.png
https://i.imgur.com/SGC1Wmr.png
'go take a poop, so go to take a poop' but more vulgar
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Mea wrote: 5 years ago Is wall jumping in 3d as janky as it looked? Because it looked super janky, I held my breath everytime the jump wasn't far enough to land directly on the platform.

And my earlier complaint about not being able to use aerial maneuvers returns here. Why restrict it after ground dashing? That makes no sense. And another, why change how different characters perform them? Having to hold the button from jump to hover is so unintuitive and limiting for a platforming game.
It is SO janky
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mea wrote: 5 years agoIs wall jumping in 3d as janky as it looked? Because it looked super janky, I held my breath everytime the jump wasn't far enough to land directly on the platform.
It's off in both modes. In 2D, you don't jam on the jump button. In 3D, you kind of do to get it started if the surface isn't flat. Just don't hold the dash while you're doing it, or you'll propel further away from the wall and land lower. If there's a pit around... Oops.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Land Cancelling it's a general DPS tactic. Might help with speed by killing things faster.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

relevant, I forgot all about this sick reference
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

d69.gif
d69.gif (851.68 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The reason why Volt Tornado and other weapons that stay onscreen for a bit are so good is because they cut through the invincibility times for bosses. Circle Blaze does the same thing to a lesser extent since it's a smaller sphere shot.

The actual weakness order is Stonekong > Tonion > Warfly > Hyenard > Boarski > Anteator > Crowrang > Gungaroo > Stonekong, but no one's going to do that thanks to the overpowered normal shots, invincibility frame exploits, and that some special weapons were toned down a bit in the Western release for the game. Volt Tornado was not one of those.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

today, rao puts about as much effort into the boss fights as the creators did
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

X's charge shot goes through every wall aside from doing a fuckzillion damage, so he can just shoot Anteator on the other side of his tube, for example. Many bosses and regular encounters turn completely comical due to this.

The weaknesses in this game are a severely mixed bunch even if you care about using them. They tend to knock peeps over and make them get giant invincibility frames, so much like in previous X games, they can make the fight take far longer, especially here where everything is s o s l o w. It's useful for Crowrang as the homing missile hits him in the background and forces him to the foreground so you can switch to Zero and slice him up (lol), and he can also get knocked out of his stupid charge attack. Tonion gets knocked into the walls of his arena if he runs into the shield, but it doesn't seem to actually do damage? It might knock off his layers immediately but then he quickly regrows them so...whatever. Anteator's weakness is the wheel and it can sometimes maybe hit him underneath unless you're X, then it's pointless.

And so on.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

ahahahahahaha oh man this game is a trainwreck.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I'm glad to see that raocow tried the Volt Tornado on every boss, and even learned over the course of 8 fights how to be efficient with it.

Since each hit does as much damage as X's charged shot, and causes low i-frames on anyone but Warfly, it becomes increasingly more effective the longer the enemy stays still. Ironically, this means that the boss "weakest" to it.... is Tonion himself. Crowrang is a very close second because he just drops right in on the tornado.

With a full life+energy item after every fight, there really is no reason for anyone NOT to run into the bosses and just drop a tornado in their hitbox to beat them all. Except Warfly.