(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
zantanzuken

Re: Mega Man X6 - An Absolute Nightmare

Post by zantanzuken »

churine wrote: 5 years ago -snip-

and then it's revealed Alia murdered that maverick butterfly for commiting the crime of not being a pigeon

and it's all fitting because the actual game itself is a nightmare
shoot. you beat me to it.... i'm still gonna put this here.

LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

People are (rightfully) complaining about that one reploid with a nightmare positioned right on top of him, but that's not even the worst one to rescue in the game. On xtreme difficulty, in Metal Shark Player's stage, there an additional nightmare added that will go for one of the reploids, but the crushing ceiling makes it almost impossible to do anything about it.

Anyway, Dynamo's here. There's not much to say about him. I actually kind of like this guy, despite how insignificant he is. it's been awhile since I played X5, but I think he was literally just there to waste your time. And now he's pretty much just minding his own business and collecting nightmare souls. I don't really know why I like him as much as I do but I do like him.

Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 5 years ago People are (rightfully) complaining about that one reploid with a nightmare positioned right on top of him, but that's not even the worst one to rescue in the game. On xtreme difficulty, in Metal Shark Player's stage, there an additional nightmare added that will go for one of the reploids, but the crushing ceiling makes it almost impossible to do anything about it.

Anyway, Dynamo's here. There's not much to say about him. I actually kind of like this guy, despite how insignificant he is. it's been awhile since I played X5, but I think he was literally just there to waste your time. And now he's pretty much just minding his own business and collecting nightmare souls. I don't really know why I like him as much as I do but I do like him.
He's a welcome beacon of irreverance and carefreeness in an otherwise super dour and edgy-for-the-sake-of-it game.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 5 years ago Anyway, Dynamo's here. There's not much to say about him. I actually kind of like this guy, despite how insignificant he is. it's been awhile since I played X5, but I think he was literally just there to waste your time. And now he's pretty much just minding his own business and collecting nightmare souls. I don't really know why I like him as much as I do but I do like him.
You like him because he's the best character in the entire X series by a very wide margin.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm behind, and it's only fitting I'm thinking about something last discussed a week ago...
Kincyr wrote: 5 years ago in all seriousness though, Blizzard Buffalo's Japanese name is Frozen Buffalio, so at least in Japan the names were never reused.
What about Storm Eagle and Storm Owl? Another LPer I watch mentioned the two of them while playing through another game*, and checking the wiki, it appears they are in fact both "Storm" (Sutōmu) in Japanese.

*Deceased Crab playing Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hope I didn't give you wrong info :oops:

EDIT: ...he wrote, thinking "it's probably just because...

...okay it could be any number of awful things, actually"
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

zantanzuken wrote: 5 years ago shoot. you beat me to it.... i'm still gonna put this here.

-snip-
I mean, I also made this but I wasn't sure how many people would get it
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
There's the X6 we all know and love! We were all having way too much fun with this game.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's been fun making fun of it at the very least. Don't even know what would be the culprit here since there are so many options. Looking like this one is going to take the bottom spot for in-house developed Mega Man games at this point.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

is the plot twist that all the "nightmares" you kill are replies and the "reploids" you save are all nightmares
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

If I had to guess I would guess it's the threading-the-needle reflexes necessary to Blade Armor air dash through all the spike tunnels at the end of Turtloid's stage.

As well as all throughout the alternate area of his stage!

But mostly I'm just hoping it isn't me giving demonstrably bad advice about using the Ice Burst and the Blade Armor to get the Jumper Part. :(

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Unlike X4 and X5, this game's level design has been so egregiously bad that it's really enjoyable as a watcher. (Not as a player.) The plot is also more interesting. I don't see "these reploids were unfairly murdered" as overly dark, because it's the logical conclusion of what happened in X4. Ignoring it would be worse. I wasn't going to take the story seriously either way, so it may as well go some dark places with it. I laughed really hard back when Alia first admitted to murder.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago What about Storm Eagle and Storm Owl? Another LPer I watch mentioned the two of them while playing through another game*, and checking the wiki, it appears they are in fact both "Storm" (Sutōmu) in Japanese.
They're flat-out related in some way iirc, so that might be it.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

After all the prep work/discussion we had in this thread about it, I laughed out loud when you immediately gave up on the lone wolf at the end of Wolfang's red area. That's the wolf with the Jumper part that people have been talking about, which is one of the best, if not *the* best, part in the game.

The darkness is Mijinion's gimmick and it's beyond stupid. It's honestly worth going into other stages and then immediately exiting out just to change the gimmick to something else.
Last edited by Kilgamayan 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I think most ropes are arranged vertically, to be fair.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

I think the thing most confusing to me is that the searchlight Nightmare effect is only 98% black instead of 100% black. Like you can slightly see X through it, and I'm not sure why.

*Translation Fun Time! In which Dynamo reveals his habit of snorting crushed virus particles.*

POLAR AREA

Dr. Light: X... let me give you yet another new power. This capsule contains the foot program of the Shadow Armor. To complete this armor, you must find the three remaining programs. With these foot parts, if you jump while holding Up on the directional button, you’ll perform a high jump and stick to certain ceilings. You’ll also be able to dash along these ceilings from this sticking position. It’s a tricky maneuver, but I trust you’ll handle it well.

Dynamo: Yo, X! How’s the Nightmare hunt going? Managed to figure out this whole mess yet?

X: That does not concern you, Dynamo. Get out of here and let me pass!

Dynamo: Now, now. If I do that, I won’t be able to swipe all these precious Nightmare Souls you’ve got there, now will I?

(X fights and defeats Dynamo.)

Dynamo: Yeesh… you sure play rough, huh X. No worries, we’ll be seeing each other again sooner or later. Toodles!

AMAZON AREA
If X encounters Dynamo
(X finds Dynamo inside a hidden room.)
X: Dynamo? You’re alive!?
Dynamo: X, buddy boy! How’s life been treatin’ ya? Been doing pretty well myself. I used to earn some good dosh until boss man Sigma kicked the bucket, but these little Nightmare morsels more than make up for it, ya know?
X: ...look, Dynamo, I really have no time to waste with you. Get out of here!
Dynamo: What, and pass up on all that juicy Nightmare goodness you’ve got? Not in a million years!
(X fights and defeats Dynamo.)
Dynamo: Ow! Geez, alright, I get it. I’ll let you hold on to those for a bit longer. Toodles!
(Dynamo teleports out.)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Also, to give you a foreshadowing of how dumb the fortress is, the very beginning of the first stage is 100% literally impossible if you don't have one of the Blade Armor, the Shadow Armor, or the Jumper part/Ice Burst combo. Like, it's not a matter of extreme difficulty, it's simply that unarmored X and Falcon Armor X do not have the mobility required to get past the first obstacle.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

no wonder why x and zero wanted to just go climb a mountain after this
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Parts

Saber Plus - This is actually the part that increases Zero's normal attack power by 1. Master Saber increases his Special Technique power by 1. This one turns his saber cyan.

Shot Eraser - Can erase most projectiles with a swing. Same as X5. Turns Zero's saber purple.

Shock Buffer - Cuts damage by 50% and removes knockback when hit. Has a very minuscule stacking effect with used with Armored X, so this is really just for Zero so he doesn't die everywhere from the amount of nonsense this game has.

Hyper Dash - Doubles Dash distance and speed. I heard it shortens airdash range, but this might be false.

Life Recover - A Limited Part that works like a Classic Megaman E-Tank! You can only use it once until you return to the Stage Select screen, but it's probably the best of the five Limited Parts. I highly recommend equipping this before the pain that is Gate's Laboratory.

Hyperdrive - A Limited Part that makes you defensively more powerful for a few seconds. To this day i'm not sure exactly what the limits of this thing are, but it allows you to pass through a lot of things like they were nothing, including weird stuff like Illumina's fireballs. I'd just stick to Life Recover.

Weapon Drive -A Limited part that gives X and Zero free use of their weapons for a few seconds. There is a Limited Part somewhere that works like a W-Tank, and it's infinitely better than this due to how short this lasts.

Shadow Armor

Head Parts S - Doubles the speed at which X can swing the Z-Saber. Pretty handy.

Body Parts S
- Halves damage and removes knockback when hit. Also allows X to also use the Crescent Rings Giga Attack; a devastating move that slices up everything around him.

Arm Parts S
- Disables all of X's Special Weapons! But it allows him to use the Crescent Slash as his charged attack, which is a very damaging saber slash with a crescent extension at the end that hits many times for high damage each hit. Also turns his basic shots into shurikens that fire like the C-Shot from Grizzly Slash in X5. Sadly, this means they fire completely randomly and can be annoying.

Leg Parts S - Allows X to Super Jump by pressing Up+Jump while on the ground. He can then perform very similar moves to what Zero can do with the Hyoroga, but without the Ice Element. Also allows X to stand on spikes safely just like a Ninja would. Warning: X cannot Air Dash with this armor, making a certain section or two in the game unbeatable with this armor!

The nonsense that happened today aside, I really like how these armors are themed after Samurai (Blade) and Ninja (Shadow) respectively. I feel like if they existed in a better game, people would like them more.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago What about Storm Eagle and Storm Owl? Another LPer I watch mentioned the two of them while playing through another game*, and checking the wiki, it appears they are in fact both "Storm" (Sutōmu) in Japanese.
yea, I missed that one. those two are the only ones in the first X5 games to share the same first name half in Japanese.
Arctangent wrote: They're flat-out related in some way iirc, so that might be it.
there's concept art that states that they're good friends
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

that is one of the most obnoxious darkness gimmicks i've ever seen, wow! this game is garbage! :lol:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I forgot that the darkness gimmick would be active, but tbh it really wouldn't be the full X6perience if you didn't encounter it. If you wanted to turn it off, you'd have to replace it with the stage's other possible Nightmare effect, which is Sheldon's. (for Turtloid, that is; the other Nightmare effect that can be active in Yammark is the rain/wind you get from Turtloid, making the really stupid jumps in the portal section even dumber)

I think the Hyper Dash actually worsens your normal dashes by making them shorter; what it does however is make your dash-jumps very long. raocow for some reason seems to be allergic to those even in stretches where he knows what's coming up or where he's gonna tank through enemies anyway, so if you're not into them, Hyper Dash is a flat negative to equip. However, it also makes dash-walljumps better and those will become 100% mandatory from now on so maybe keep it equipped regardless.

Echoing the number of people who recommend trying out the Shadow Armor (maybe to get the Jumper part in Wolfang's stage?). It's one of the most purely fun things in X6 and if you like it, it can be a good way to beat Gate's first stage. Get comfortable with using its charged shot though, the normal pellets are not good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one thing I realized when looking up Nightmare effects just now. Because this game has no consistency, every Nightmare effect is applied to two other stages after visiting one and is countered by the weapon of the boss that belongs to the stage that conveys it. Except that's not true, you can't turn on the lights with Ray Arrow and you can't turn off the rain with Meteor Rain. You can however destroy the fireballs from Heatnix with Magma Blade (pointless as it may be), and firing a cube of ice onto an icy surface gets rid of the ice (OBVIOUSLY).
Oh, and also, the "two stages" thing is wrong; Wolfang only makes ice happen in one other stage (Metal Shark Player's), whereas the latter's blocks turn up in three other stages (Heatnix, Scaravich, Mijinion). It's so well-made!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Ugh, that darkness nightmare effect is probably the worst one in the game. I often see people say that darkness gimmicks in games feel just tacked on, but here that's actually the case. It doesn't help that this is the worst darkness I've seen in any game that doesn't intend for you to use some kind of item to get rid of it. I kind of wish I had warned about this, not just for raocow's sake, but because it's honestly not really that enjoyable to watch when I can barely see what's going on.

Anyway, one thing I want to mention is the fact that Dynamo has different conversations for every area and for both X and Zero. One of his conversations with Zero contains one of my favourite lines in the game.

Zero: Dynamo! You're pesky!

Dynamo: You must be busy dying so many times.

It only recently occurred to me that he's probably referring to the fact that Zero has, in fact, died multiple times in the story of the X games. I always just thought that he was breaking the fourth wall given that it's very likely the player has died quite a few times while playing this game. I also find the fact that Zero calls Dynamo "pesky" of all things rather amusing.

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Hyper Dash DOES reduce your regular dashes, but the upside of the insane jump dashes is too good to ignore. I wish raocow would do these more (i.e. all the time) because the game really intends you to do so. Hell, the way jup dashes work is half the reason I like the PSX games so much.