(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mega Man Xtreme - Xtremely Familiar

Post by raocow »

I looked it up on wikipedia. Assuming that Geemel is a mistransliteration of gimel:

Significance
In gematria, gimel represents the number three.

It is written like a vav with a yud as a "foot", and it resembles a person in motion; symbolically, a rich man running after a poor man to give him charity, as in the Hebrew alphabet gimel directly precedes dalet, which signifies a poor or lowly man, from the Hebrew word dal (b. Shabbat, 104a).[4]

The word gimel is related to gemul, which means 'justified repayment', or the giving of reward and punishment.

Gimel is also one of the seven letters which receive special crowns (called tagin) when written in a Sefer Torah. See shin, ayin, teth, nun, zayin, and tsadi.

In Modern Hebrew, the frequency of usage of gimel, out of all the letters, is 1.26%.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

zayin
Maybe it's not supposed to be "sword" after all?

Although then this raises the question "why name them after Hebrew letters in the first place". My best guess is that it's something to do with how Sigma is a Greek letter.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years ago
zayin
Maybe it's not supposed to be "sword" after all?

Although then this raises the question "why name them after Hebrew letters in the first place". My best guess is that it's something to do with how Sigma is a Greek letter.
Or that in the future, they finally find a place to call home--the internet.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Considering the weapons that are front and center in both Zain's (sword) and Geemel's (staff) designs, they probably were named after the weapons.

Translation Fun Time! Featuring a robot named after a sling/staff-stick (it's not really clear which)!

REMATCH WITH ZAIN!

Game script: Zain: I’ve been waiting for you, X! You have no chance to win!

Actual Translation: Zain: I’ve been waiting...X, there is no way you can beat me! Here I come!

(X defeats Zain.)

Game script: Zain: Zain: I can’t believe this…

Actual Translation: Zain: Im-Impossible...

(Zain dies. Geemel appears.)

Game script: Zain: Geemel: Kyee! X, you disgust me!

Actual Translation: Geemel: You’ve really done it now! Kiiii!

Game script: Zain: X: Who are you?!

Actual Translation: X: Who are you?!

Game script: Zain: Geemel: My name is Geemel! How dare you defeat my buddy! I’ll get you later! Remember!

Actual Translation: Geemel: Mi name is Geemel! You destroyed mi amigo! I'll make life HELL for you! Remember that!

So, in this scene Geemel has an interesting speech quirk in the Japanese version. He does NOT use Japanese Pronouns to refer to himself, but instead just uses the English word "me". It's never explained WHY he does that, but in the context of the Japanese language, this makes him out to be two things...

1) A foreigner

2) A REALLY weird, quirky guy

So, that first reason is why the localization has him saying "Mi name is Geemel" and "You've destroyed mi amigo!" While you could use any language to get the same effect across, spanish is probably going to be the easiest shorthand for english audiences, since "Mi" is the Spanish word for "my", and "amigo" is friend. And "I'll make life HELL for you!" is an embellishment of what was originally just "I'll make things hard for you!". But since we can't take a shortcut and have him use another language to refer to himself, we have to emphasize his quirkiness another way by turning up his threat to X.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago Considering the weapons that are front and center in both Zain's (sword) and Geemel's (staff) designs, they probably were named after the weapons.
Except Geemel apparently uses a shuriken?
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I'm really disappointed that they felt it wasn't worth the effort to animated the armored X teleporting in. Heck, even just that last frame as the armor would make me think the armor teleports on after he teleports. But no, they make it just appear after he's in his idle pose...
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Oh right. Should raocow skip the fortress in the second run? Aside from fighting Geemel it should be the EXACT SAME and thus pointless to play.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

good to know
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago Oh right. Should raocow skip the fortress in the second run? Aside from fighting Geemel it should be the EXACT SAME and thus pointless to play.
Won't he have different weapons to use and maybe use them and the gameplay will be different?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago and maybe use them
hah!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago and maybe use them
hah!
This. Unless he makes the point of using weapons only so the videos would be a bit different.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Honestly I'm all for raocow skipping as much of this game as possible. It has so far proven to just be a reduced-quality port/mashup of X and X2, largely devoid of the remixing and creativity that made (most of) the gray brick Gameboy titles fun and interesting. Is there anything new to do here besides fight Zain/Geemel and take in the plot?
Last edited by Voltgloss 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I mean as far as I'm concerned the plot has been super worth it, but I get what you are putting down
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Game Script: [Localization team's subjective translation]

"""Actual""" Translation: [Fan's subjective translation]

Don't get me wrong I do think that giving Geemel a quirky use of foreign words is a fine way to get the idea across, but when you've started taking liberties like that you can't call it an "Actual" translation anymore as if it's actually more 'accurate'.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago I mean as far as I'm concerned the plot has been super worth it, but I get what you are putting down
I say to totally do a full run of hard mode since the plot will be a bit different, although the fortress can be abridged if you want after the Geemel fight since you already figured out that would take place in the one room. Xtreme 2 will do this multiple playthrough stuff better.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago Xtreme 2 will do this multiple playthrough stuff better.
Having spoiled myself on how Xtreme 2 works, I do agree with this. But I'm wondering - should somebody (massive spoilers):

send raocow an Extreme mode save just before the final Sigma stage, so that he can play X's and Zero's modes separately and then load the save to just play the Sigma stage? Obviously what I'm concerned about is raocow having to play the entire game twice just to access the final level.

Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

By the way, once you unlock the Hard Mode, load the save, don't use Hard Mode option on the title screen - this way you will have four weapons you already have managed to get. In the hard mode, robot master stages are different (albeit Sigma fortress is pretty much still the same as it was in Normal mode - the plot is slightly different, but I mean, it's not much).

I'm not sure whether it's worth doing Sigma stages in Hard Mode or Extreme mode, considering it's pretty much a repeat of what you already did.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I'd say it's worth redoing Sigma 2 just to go through the upper path.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years agoI'd say it's worth redoing Sigma 2 just to go through the upper path.
This is also true.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years agoI'd say it's worth redoing Sigma 2 just to go through the upper path.
This is also true.
Is it different from the upper path of the equivalent stage from X2?
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
Bean wrote: 5 years ago
This is also true.
Is it different from the upper path of the equivalent stage from X2?
A very good question, given what was found on the upper path in that stage!
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I will admit I am curious to know whether X can reach that upper path by using the charged Shotgun Ice platform for a little extra jump height (and thus completely ignore the SMB3 platform).
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago I will admit I am curious to know whether X can reach that upper path by using the charged Shotgun Ice platform for a little extra jump height (and thus completely ignore the SMB3 platform).
I chose the third option: "Other".
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago I will admit I am curious to know whether X can reach that upper path by using the charged Shotgun Ice platform for a little extra jump height (and thus completely ignore the SMB3 platform).
Pretty sure you can't stand on it in this game.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago
Pretty sure you can't stand on it in this game.
...I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Yet more evidence of the folks who ported this simply not understanding the original games.