(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
freshtalk

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Reboot

Post by freshtalk »

Tornado Hold can increase your jump height, not that you'd need that utility with Rush Coil and Hornet Chaser, unless you needed to make a big hop over Magma Man maybe.

Random aside, I liked how Tornado Man controlled in Rock Force.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Feels so weird to be on the final five games in this series now. Anyway, I think most people bring out Rush Jet the first time they do this stage just for that part where you did. There's a 1-Up in the very first cloud in the top left of that section if I recall, and yes, those gray clouds are meant to hide or be platforms.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I figured you wouldn't be a fan of the wind segment. I'd say that along with the spinning magnet battery things make this probably the second hardest robot master stage in the game.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

So cleanup is just gonna be buying Roll's alternate outfit right
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

atMM won't be complete without the Roll shop item.

I also think you should try out the book of hairstyles at least once just for the sake of having done it. It's temporary
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

raocow the elephant is actually a drying unit/ventilator used to make concrete set faster and circulate air. The ball was Dr Wily's idea.

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! CONCRETE MAN!

"ANYTHING LESS THAN PERFECTION IS UNACCEPTABLE!"

Concrete Man (コンクリートマン Konkurītoman) is a Robot Master modeled after a construction worker that Dr. Light created to be the supervisor of dam construction. As he built from Guts Man's specifications, he is very dedicated to his job, but is also stubborn and will tell off any robots that he thinks are lazy on the job.

Concrete Man is one of the eight Robot Masters whose period of use had expired and was scheduled to be scrapped. Dr. Wily pretended to be concerned by offering to repair them, reprogramming the tricked robots to help him conquer the world.

He tries to stop the player with his Concrete Shot, jumps from the top of the screen and shakes the floor, which will make Mega Man stumble, or tackles. Concrete Man's weakness is the Laser Trident due to its ability to penetrate most shielding. It can also cause critical damage to him, and can pierce through the blocks of the Concrete Shots.

Mega Man (Archie Comics)

Concrete Man appeared in issue 17 of Archie Comics' Mega Man comic series, where Dr. Light brings him to Guts Man so he can finish the construction of a dam earlier, which could collapse due to heavy rain and flood the town downstream. Guts Man and Concrete Man began competing, and when they were about to start fighting, the dam starts leaking and they team up to finish the work. In the end, the two become friends and share some karaoke and E-Tanks after their work, singing Brand New Way together.

He also appears in Issue 53, where he and Guts Man are setting up the Robot Museum. He also considers allowing himself to be recycled since he doesn't like waste. This, however, upsets Mega Man, who disagrees with the view of Guts Man and Concrete Man that as robots they are just tools who will eventually cease to be useful.

Trivia
During production, Concrete Man was called Cement Man (セメントマン) and his weapon would've been called Cement Shot. Also, earlier concept arts show Concrete Man with a drill on his left arm.
His stage name is a reference to the common phrase used to describe cities, "concrete jungle".
Concrete Man's artwork has blue eyes, while his mugshot has orange eyes because of color limitations. Additionally, the green chest gem in his artwork is white in his sprite.
His stage is the only one that's playable in the trial version of Mega Man 9. When the player reaches him, the moment his health goes up all the way, the trial ends.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Concrete Man?

More like "Con You Get Your Elephants Away From the Bushes, Man?"!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I have no idea what the reason is for those random blocks that go up and down at the very end of that stage.

It's literally the only time in the whole main game that they show up.

Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Man, MM9 is really sparse with it's backgrounds. The old games you'd have all kinds of background tiles and junk but here they really put all their chips into the minimalism thing.

Not complaining, because I like the aesthetic. But with concrete man especially the abundance of black is really noticeable.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Concrete Shot is cool and has a particular utility use. Those big lasers that look like gelatin in Magma Man's stage? The Concrete Shot just makes them solid and possible to touch. Though it's not the stage where that'd be most useful...

But yeah, I never did notice just how empty and black the background is. It does sorta add to the aesthetic of an urban area at night though.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm hoping tomorrow is a cleanup episode where raocow starts the video, goes into the shop, buys the roll outfit, and then ends the video
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retrobot

Post by Awoo »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i'm hoping tomorrow is a cleanup episode where raocow starts the video, goes into the shop, buys the roll outfit, and then ends the video
This, please :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

A bit late but TornadoMan's stage might be my favorite one in the entire series. I usually start with his level.

Actually, this is interesting. Pretty much every level in this game is a good starter level. Maybe Plug Man's is the most hostile.

Changing the subject, the sound effects are SO OBNOXIOULY LOUD! Isn't there a mod or something to turn them down? This is the main reason I avoid using Magma Bazooka.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

No, they still call Splash Woman a he.

Oopsie!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The stupidest part is that they clearly had conditional variables programmed in for exactly that situation; the scene with Wily talking to the robots is being replayed from the vision of the robot you got the memory board from, and as such Wily is always surrounded by the other seven robots, no matter who you defeat last. For whatever tiny amount of effort that took, it would have taken even less to have the two gendered words change whenever Splash Woman is the robot you defeat last, since they've already set up detection for that anyway.

This is less important, however, than the fact that you didn't just hang on to your 178 screws and bet on the possibility that you'd get 22 more in the first fortress stage and be able to buy the costume change after that. >:|
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Ha, leaving the fortress to go to the shop. You'd have to walk all the way back and then do the stages again.

Jokes aside this would erase fortress progress.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I found it easier to deal with the magma beams here by just using Rush Coil before they even came out. You have to be fast but it's not very hard with a little practice.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

I really like this fortress boss. Its like a boobeam trap but actually good. You wouldn't think something so simple would require you to hone your reflexes so much.

I can't remember if there's a trick to the boss or if its weak to a weapon.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Roomba

Post by Awoo »

So, what happened to Duo? I know his story was basically concluded with 8 but it's kind of a shame they just basically forgot about him (as far as I know, didn't watch a ton of ATMM so don't bully please)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, what happened to Duo? I know his story was basically concluded with 8 but it's kind of a shame they just basically forgot about him (as far as I know, didn't watch a ton of ATMM so don't bully please)
Sadly, even those who have looked at everything MM wouldn't know. He's never heard from again after 8. He only lives on in fan theories and works.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago The stupidest part is that they clearly had conditional variables programmed in for exactly that situation; the scene with Wily talking to the robots is being replayed from the vision of the robot you got the memory board from, and as such Wily is always surrounded by the other seven robots, no matter who you defeat last. For whatever tiny amount of effort that took, it would have taken even less to have the two gendered words change whenever Splash Woman is the robot you defeat last, since they've already set up detection for that anyway.
it was thought that this was due to dialogue mismanagement, since Splash Woman was initially planned to be a male named Ocean Man.

that was quickly shot down since Hornet Man was initially planed to be female, named Honey Woman, and the pronoun isn't changed there either.

the Japanese script has Roll say something along the lines of "this might show why the robots went crazy" (a wild guess on my end based on a crappy machine translation. for the record, Google translated it to "Now that the robot was waving You can play the plants !")
Capcom USA probably didn't want to program another variable into the game for the pronoun, though they could've avoided it altogether by translating it as "Let's play back the memory to see why they went crazy!"
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Being honest, the expiration date thing makes quite a bit of sense if its something put into law after Wily's multiple world domination attempts showing off just how dangerous the Robot Masters can really be. It's wrong, but a human can't even take on a simple metool, and a rampaging Robot Master is something only another Robot Master can take on. That fact alone would keep people extremely afraid of any robot going out of control, leading to cruel laws like this as a way to give themselves peace of mind.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, what happened to Duo? I know his story was basically concluded with 8 but it's kind of a shame they just basically forgot about him (as far as I know, didn't watch a ton of ATMM so don't bully please)
He made a couple of appearances in Battle & Chase and Rockman Strategy, was a major character in Battle Network 4 (which was apparently the worst Battle Network,) and made a couple more appearances in the Archie Comics adaptation, but other than that, he just dropped off the face of the Earth.

At one point the official Japanese website for the Mega Man Zero Collection stated that the events of Mega Man 8 inspired Light to build X, and implied that the Zero Virus might have links to either Evil Energy and/or Roboenza, but that entire document's since been deleted so it's up in the air whether any of that's canon now.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago Being honest, the expiration date thing makes quite a bit of sense if its something put into law after Wily's multiple world domination attempts showing off just how dangerous the Robot Masters can really be. It's wrong, but a human can't even take on a simple metool, and a rampaging Robot Master is something only another Robot Master can take on. That fact alone would keep people extremely afraid of any robot going out of control, leading to cruel laws like this as a way to give themselves peace of mind.
One also needs to keep in mind that humans, too, have an expiration date. It's just not fixed.

It's like they tried to touch on the "robots are becoming more like humans" thing, but started with the lifespan while robots are still nothing more than servants, and didn't think of any of the implications.

I really hate the lava beam room. The punishment for a small slip-up is way disproportional, and you have to be quite exact. Yes, the checkpoint is right there, but you also have limited lives and it can be damn tricky to learn (which we saw).

Another thing I hate: as has been hinted at,

there's no leaving the fortress, so raocow should have bought all his E-Tanks NOW. And there aren't many to find in the stages...

Again, very retro and very very annoying. I have no doubt in raocow's abilities to

beat the final bosses without healing, if he drinks too soon

, but I actually had to deliberately quit and restart everything because of that.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Ugh, they had to bring the weird uncomfortable "the villains are totally in the right here but they're Causing Chaos so we can pretend the heroes are justified" thing into the classic series. I mean, it links it better to X, but seeing it presented like this makes it start to feel less like sloppy writing and more like a legitimately held belief. Just like as with X, we're basically playing as a law enforcer who solves the situation through violence because it's our duty. Mega Man truly fights for everlasting peace, not justice. Yeah, I'm sure they'll handwave it with something like "society isn't THAT bad, Wily just manipulated them!" just like they did with Sigma over and over, but that doesn't really make it any better.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.