(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blue

Re: Mega Man & Bass: Mega Man 7.8 Final Mix

Post by Blue »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago And by "audio system", you mean the general CPU sending audio to a DAC?
It's been a number of years since I had to work with it, but wasn't it something like one sample channel, a couple of waveforms, and a noise channel? Am I thinking of something else? All I can really remember was how much of a nightmare it was not to make every song resemble a power drill to the ear.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I know for a fact that Square Enix managed to compress Utada Hikaru's Simple and Clean onto the Chain of Memories cartridge, and play it over those little speakers. Still don't have a clue how they pulled that off - rapid sample bank switches?
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago And by "audio system", you mean the general CPU sending audio to a DAC?
It's been a number of years since I had to work with it, but wasn't it something like one sample channel, a couple of waveforms, and a noise channel? Am I thinking of something else? All I can really remember was how much of a nightmare it was not to make every song resemble a power drill to the ear.
That sounds like the NES or GB, or GBC. From what I remember, the GBA used it's general CPU to render sound via software. That, or the General CPU had some sound hardware, but it used cycles that could be used for other general processing tasks.
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago I know for a fact that Square Enix managed to compress Utada Hikaru's Simple and Clean onto the Chain of Memories cartridge, and play it over those little speakers. Still don't have a clue how they pulled that off - rapid sample bank switches?
I guess one advantage of software sound rendering is, you can do whatever you want, if you have the cycles.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I remember the Ice Wall being a really good damage dealer against larger enemies in this game. Magic Card's just there to grab stuff. Spread Drill's also kind of cool, but it's on the low end of the spectrum. Just like in MM8, a lot of the weapons also double as decent utilities.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago I know for a fact that Square Enix managed to compress Utada Hikaru's Simple and Clean onto the Chain of Memories cartridge, and play it over those little speakers. Still don't have a clue how they pulled that off - rapid sample bank switches?
GBA cartridges can be big. Feel free to check out GBA video - it wasn't really a success, but it shows how much you store on a GBA cartridge. Although worth noting that movies actually did use bank switching (probably being only official GBA thing that did so), but that's not the case for TV show episode compilations which fit on a standard GBA cartridge.

And also check out what is possible with SNES.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Those ground-eating fish at the end of Ground Man's stage can be supremely aggravating. The ones that move horizontally will eat up a four-block-wide section if you let them, which I think leaves Mega Man flat out unable to leap the resulting gap (or, if it is possible, is surprisingly hard). And in conjunction with the fish, that Sniper Joe is a strong contender for "most annoyingly well-positioned Sniper Joe in Mega Man history."

It gets even worse if you're trying to dig up the CD hidden there, because Rush needs to unearth it before the fish destroy its hiding spot.

Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago I remember the Ice Wall being a really good damage dealer against larger enemies in this game. Magic Card's just there to grab stuff. Spread Drill's also kind of cool, but it's on the low end of the spectrum. Just like in MM8, a lot of the weapons also double as decent utilities.
I found Magic Card to be more useful weapon-wise for Bass.

Because it can shoot through walls, which the Bass Buster can't.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i cant believe tuxedo mask was a robot all this time
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

D&D Magic Man, complete with neckbeard

Contrary to all logic, those bell-activated platforms do not actually fling you off when they rotate; you can safely stand on them the entire time. The only risk is if spikes are rotating your way.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago D&D Magic Man, complete with neckbeard
I always saw it more as a plague doctor's mask, personally.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I know there are other criteria for picking the song for the episode title, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed we didn't get the song that is literally titled "Magic Man."

Also, there is benefit to partially completing the 8 crystals zone.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Never even knew that those little dudes drop from the orbs if you shoot them. The idea is to hit and immediately dodge every time since Magic Man counters your every attack. I think he's one of the hardest bosses in the game to do a no-hit fight of since you have to constantly be aware of whether he tosses the card or the orbs, and those orbs fly out one to three times. With the card, you have to hop over him after immediately hopping over the card to not get hit.

The stage itself is my least favorite in the game since they introduce the trains without any sort of safety net, and those little cannon dudes fire at you the moment they appear on screen before you have any time to react unless you have psychic training or played this one before. Yeesh.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Never even knew that those little dudes drop from the orbs if you shoot them. The idea is to hit and immediately dodge every time since Magic Man counters your every attack. I think he's one of the hardest bosses in the game to do a no-hit fight of since you have to constantly be aware of whether he tosses the card or the orbs, and those orbs fly out one to three times. With the card, you have to hop over him after immediately hopping over the card to not get hit.

The stage itself is my least favorite in the game since they introduce the trains without any sort of safety net, and those little cannon dudes fire at you the moment they appear on screen before you have any time to react unless you have psychic training or played this one before. Yeesh.
At least after you made it past the godawful opening part, the stage becomes bizarrely easy (though the turning platforms are imo not much fun). I dislike Astro Man more because I have a raging hate-on for everything Yoku, and those blocks are some of the worst in the entire series.

Though I must admit to a certain smugness because people kept telling me "dude, MM&Bass is far better in its R&F incarnation because you don't have problems with shit coming from offscreen!" and...it's absolutely not true, considering what we saw happen in Magic Man and with the blind drops in Ground Man. It's simply not a very fair game by design. If that doesn't bother you, you'll like it, I don't.

All those complaints aside, I think Tengu Man's and Burner Man's levels suck even more than the ones we've seen so far, so that's something to look forward to!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

""Taking care of" your children"...
Blue

Post by Blue »

dang it raocow all of those things were available with clever icewall usage
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago [That sounds like the NES or GB, or GBC. From what I remember, the GBA used it's general CPU to render sound via software. That, or the General CPU had some sound hardware, but it used cycles that could be used for other general processing tasks.
None of those three natively did samples, so whatever I'm remembering had a lot more spare power. A bit of looking around makes it look like I'm remembering mostly correctly: Two direct sound channels and some truly awful square waves.
http://www.belogic.com/gba/

It is an unbelievable nightmare to get GBA songs sounding remotely tolerable because of those squares and they really limit the genres and styles you can pull off. Absolutely the most miserable thing to try to make decent-sounding songs for. I'd rather try to get something listenable on a half-dozen floppy drives than work with the GBA again.
Yeah, but it's theoretically possible to pull that off on the gameboy color, which iirc had only four sound channels that were typically just three waveforms and a noise channel.
Miyoron

Post by Miyoron »

I don't know what it is but these SNES Megaman games just feel kind of weird and not good for some reason. Please note, I said Megaman, not MMX. I'm also not a big fan of that boss fight music. <:3_
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Technology in a sky base? raocow, were you making a stealth Production reference there?
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Miyoron wrote: 6 years ago I don't know what it is but these SNES Megaman games just feel kind of weird and not good for some reason. Please note, I said Megaman, not MMX. I'm also not a big fan of that boss fight music. <:3_
The boss battle with the Mecha Dragon's music is probably engrained into my skull. Probably because I died too many times. But I think that uses Major Boss music.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago
Miyoron wrote: 6 years ago I don't know what it is but these SNES Megaman games just feel kind of weird and not good for some reason. Please note, I said Megaman, not MMX. I'm also not a big fan of that boss fight music. <:3_
The boss battle with the Mecha Dragon's music is probably engrained into my skull. Probably because I died too many times. But I think that uses Major Boss music.
Major Boss is my favorite Metal Gear character
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

"You were a lot harder in Mega Man 8."

Uh... Hmm. I think the stage and boss are pretty tough in MM&B, more for trying not to be hit by his attacks and all. That Tengu Blade thing can be dodged with a properly timed slide, but yeah, definitely easier to just hop over him and be done with it. I like that open air room where there are like four different paths to go. While the camera not panning up is an issue, it's something different for a Mega Man game.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago
Major Boss is my favorite Metal Gear character
My favourite Metal Gear character is Test Track...

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

raocow moments: Critically low health, sees a ledge with a health powerup and an enemy on it. Equips Magic Card.

Tries to use it to kill the enemy instead of grabbing the health, dies.

Granted, it probably didn't matter much, considering how many times he got killed by the boss, but still.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Burner Man is one of two robot masters where you are guaranteed to have his weakness weapon before fighting him. I think that shows in the difficulty of his fight.

I also think the game expects you to use a robot master weapon (that you are guaranteed to have before Burner Man's stage) to help you get through the "huge Tellies dropping death fire" section.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Burner Man's pretty tough. He has two versions of that Wave Burner. The one where he tosses down the bear traps is where you have to time a pair of consecutive slides underneath the flames when they touch the ground the fourth time. It's the second toughest attack to not get hit by to me with another boss having the hardest later. It's all about timing on both.

Yeah. This stage is hard, and the game expects you to do it right after Cold Man in a weakness chain run. No thanks.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

As a heads-up, make sure to either spend some money in the shop before running through all the pseudo-teleporters, or do some of them, leave, spend some money, and do the rest.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image