(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Post by Crow »

that sure was a level

that definitely was a boss
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Now that the rage has worn off, do you maintain that it's a logistical issue to have a finite amount of super-arm usage, from a lore-standpoint?

I don't think every use is a hand, it's just like an amount of strength he has to lift big rocks. If I can lift and throw a 100lb rock, I might be able to do it a few times but I'll get tired cause I'm out of

energy
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's game design idiocy to limit Super Arm uses because it's already limited by virtue of needing to have blocks around. To repeat this obvious mistake in a remake is just shameful.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It takes 20 shots to break through the bubble shield of CWU in this fight. In the early going, this is pretty simple since it's very slow. Super Arm can also help take that number down quite a bit. Thing is for the last couple of phases of the fight, especially in hard mode, it moves super fast. Honestly, this boss is one of the fastest obstacles to dodge in a pretty slow-paced game. Never mind the laser attack that now sweeps across the entire room instead of a smaller range on normal. That's all tough to avoid. So what do you do?

Well, there are two things. Thunder Beam can be used to stop CWU in its tracks for a second to allow you to pick up a Guts Block and toss it right at the boss. The other thing is to use its weakness... Oil Slider. Yeah, that's a little on the tough side to do, and I only currently have a video of it on normal to showcase here, but this fight works the same way. Even if you can't hit it with the slide, the globs of oil do four bars of damage to that shield each time. It's one of the toughest bosses in the game just because of its speed, so don't feel too bad for it taking you a good while to beat.

Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Guts Man being weak to time slow makes sense because he's a foreman, and thus his job schedule is sacrosanct. Messing with it causes him incredible anguish, and what can mess up a schedule more than messing up the time clock?

FORTRESS DIALOGUE!

[CUTMAN VS. COPY CUTMAN]

COPY CUTMAN: Yo, No-brains! Don't you know running with scissors is dangerous?

CUTMAN: A clone of me?! He's really well made!

COPY CUTMAN: You...you're so stupid...are you sure you even know how to use those scissors?

[GUTSMAN VS. COPY GUTSMAN]

COPY GUTSMAN: Yo, Muscle-head! Let's get this power match on! There's nothin' better than brute strength, after all.

GUTSMAN: Heeey! Those arms, those legs, that frame--top of the line parts! If I win, you're workin' for me!

COPY GUTSMAN: What?! Hey, hey...wait a sec!!

[ICEMAN VS. COPY ICEMAN]

COPY ICEMAN: Yo, Snowflake! I'm gonna...nah, shattering you all over would ruin the chilling silence I want...

ICEMAN: Oh! A well-constructed toy, sir! Put it on ice and bring it back to base, soldier!

COPY ICEMAN: W-what?! Wait just one darn...!

[BOMBMAN VS. COPY BOMBMAN]

COPY BOMBMAN: Yo, Firecracker! Any ol' fool can chuck bombs around!

BOMBMAN: Idiot! Bombs aren't toys! Timing it right, lighting the fuse--that's stuff you gotta leave to pros!

COPY BOMBMAN: I can do that. Wanna see?

[FIREMAN VS. COPY FIREMAN]

COPY FIREMAN: Yo, Small Fry! All your loud "burning" words are just smoke in the wind!

FIREMAN: You! You're a fake! ...Has it finally happened?! A copy of me has appeared...so that means I am a real HERO!!

COPY FIREMAN: How pathetic...I can't believe he's serious...

[ELECMAN VS. COPY ELECMAN]

COPY ELECMAN: Yo, Sparky! You're a top-notch robot, right? That makes me quite happy.

ELECMAN: Not as well-built as my glorious self, but I suppose I can see the resemblance.

COPY ELECMAN: Hmm...can I imitate that conceited tone? _I'll finish you at lightning speed!_ Something like that?

[TIMEMAN VS. COPY TIMEMAN]

COPY TIMEMAN: Yo, Gearhead! I'm grateful to you. You've got smarts, so I got smarts, too!

TIMEMAN: What an unpleasant fellow. I must stop him this instant!

COPY TIMEMAN: Hey, if I'm unpleasant, you are, too!

[OILMAN VS. COPY OILMAN]

COPY OILMAN: Hey, hey! You gotta be jokin'! Check this out. Even the oil in my body hates you!

OILMAN: Maybe you just don't get how good my mojo is! It powers you too, y'know!

COPY OILMAN: Alright, let's just hurry up and finish this. I got another job waiting.

SECRET DIALOGUE! ALSO WEIRD DIALOGUE
[??? VS. COPY ???]

COPY ???: How do you do, Original ???? I bet you're worrying about your precious Mega...ha ha ha...

???: What?! I-I...Th-that's not what I'm thinking at all!!

COPY ???: You and I are one in the same. I know everything about you. It's okay, I'll tell him for you. ...Or are you going to try to stop me?

[??? VS. COPY ???]

COPY ???: Yo, Proto Me!

???: That madman. Even worse than those Joe robots, to think he'd make something like this!

COPY ???: Don't lump me in with that crowd! I'm a perfect replica of you, after all!

[??? VS. COPY ???]

COPY ???: Yo, Blue! You call yourself a "helpful" robot with your non-existent skills?

???: A clone of...me?! How far will Dr. Wily go?...

COPY ???: Let's get this over with. I've got a new body waiting for me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Copy Robot's kind of funny on hard mode because his literal strategy is to just power up the Mega Buster and fire it the moment it's fully-charged and jump when you shoot. That's all he does. It's like fighting a more dangerous Time Man.

In normal mode, he actually uses all the other bots' weapons, so it's weird that they toned him down for the real deal fight here. Although you can cheese the normal mode fight by looking away from him as he only runs in the opposite direction you do. You can pick him off from afar there.

Yeah, I had a feeling this one was going to be a thing for you though knowing that you Fire Man a lot of bosses the first time around and the no health pickup thing hurts. It's like that on every difficulty, not just hard. Anyway, when I was doing my no-damage run of the game, I made the same mistake you did when showing off how to get that one big health pellet and jumped myself right into that one spike. Ouch.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

raocow at 12:27 wrote:(...) the idea being that you cut the fuse?

(timestamped)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I wonder if they deliberately toned down Hard Mode Copy Robot to make up for the fact that you have to fight the Hard versions of the other bosses before getting to him.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
sylvie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sylvie »

I really liked this game when I played it but it looks surprisingly a lot more bland and annoying than I remember. I think I'd rather just play the NES version. They did a great job of packing it with extra content for completionists though (multiple difficulties, play as every robot master, target times for stages, collectables hidden in the levels, challenges, etc.) which is probably what I liked about it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

copy robot confirmed psychic :kood:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

No healing between boss refights is serious horseshit
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

look raocow, Wily has a theme, and by gosh he's going to commit to it no matter how silly it looks!

FINAL BOSS DIALOGUE

[CUTMAN VS. DR. WILY]

WILY: If only I had programmed you differently back then...! It would have been genius! It's the only mistake I've made in my life!

CUTMAN: I can't forgive what you did to my brothers! It's payback time, and I'm gonna cut you down to size!

WILY: Wha...why you insolent fool! I will crush you with a loud, loud crunch! Behold, my latest creation, the ultimate combat robot, Wily Machine Number 1! Nuhahahahaha!

[GUTSMAN VS. DR. WILY]

WILY: If only I had programmed you differently back then...! It would have been genius! It's the only mistake I've made in my life!

GUTSMAN: It's a foreman's job to look out for everybody, but sometimes, you gotta do what ain't in the blueprints!

WILY: Wha...why you insolent fool! I will crush you with a loud, loud crunch! Behold, my latest creation, the ultimate combat robot, Wily Machine Number 1! Nuhahahahaha!

[ICEMAN VS. DR. WILY]

ICEMAN: My Mission will be a success. Prepare yourself, Dr. Wily!

[BOMBMAN VS. DR. WILY]

BOMBMAN: Dr. Wily! You no good rotten--I'm at the end of my fuse! Prepare for the blast!

[FIREMAN VS. DR. WILY]

FIREMAN: You're wasting your time! You've got nothing on me! As long as my justice burns bright, my evil will never prevail!

[ELECMAN VS. DR. WILY]

ELECMAN: Hah, get ready for some truly en-lightening shock therapy!

[TIMEMAN VS. DR. WILY]

TIMEMAN: I've been waiting a long time for this. Everyting is going according to my schedule.

[OILMAN VS. DR. WILY]

OILMAN: Hey, man! Better watch out, cause I'm gonna kick your butt so hard you'll be smelling the oil from my boots for months!

SUPER SECRET DIALOGUE
[??? VS. DR. WILY]

???: I still have cleaning and laundry to do, so let's make this quick!

[??? VS. DR. WILY]

???: It's always been on my mind...what it means to be born with weapons in our hands. I haven't found the answer yet, but with the powers you've given me, I will crush your villainy.

Crow

Post by Crow »

what is this super mystery project ~(o.o~)
also not doing the challenges? okay
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago what is this super mystery project ~(o.o~)
also not doing the challenges? okay
Read this post again tomorrow and it will be funny
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

goshwell⁛⁙ i really love this games art direction (^▽^) ♡ it was a cute little game ゚✧ all the robot masters are just super charming adorables ☆ really makes me sad it didnt get more attention in its day ⌤
ImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So as I remembered from back then, Dr Wily's EX attack grab is undodgeable and FORCES you to use the weapons. However, if he is a color of a robot master that is weak to the Time Slow or Super Arm, there is absolutely nothing you can do and must get hit.

That long guts platform jump is also bafflingly bad design. I remember these two things made the run insanely irritating when I did this.

Hopefully whatever the "secret project" is won't have nearly as many bad design points.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

A very cute take on the classic franchise, on the wrong machine - visuals like that don't get much traction in the west off of Nintendo platforms.

What gets me is how the whole game was obviously polished up from the raw fundamental roughness of MM1 but what replaced those clunky elements and dated visuals needed a lot more polish itself - the tileset mishmash, the enemy death animations being misleadingly long, lack of healing in the boss refights, continued existence of score orbs, Oil Slider in general, and Fortress Boss Weaknesses never having anywhere near enough ammo. It's very close to being an excellent remaster and springboard to remastering 2-6, although even then I'm kinda glad it didn't because of Rock being renamed "Mega" and then the Weird Japanese Bullshit they pulled with

Roll - both the basic sexism of her constantly wanting to go back to do cleaning/laundry, we get it, she's a housekeeper robot and also the only female chatacter in the cast until X... and then the godawful why-is-this-in-everything-now implied siscon angle with "Mega". Ew.

The

other spoiler character, Proto,

is good though.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yes, one bad thing that was mentioned about that Wily Machine fight is that it can switch to Rolling Cutter (gray) or Super Arm (brown) before doing that charge attack. Uh, you can't stop that. It's very rare, but the fact that it can happen at all is not cool. Two attacks that weren't used are that it can shoot a laser ball similarly to how it does in the original Mega Man and Dr. Wily can also throw a wrench out at you from his cockpit if you're standing too close. I think that happens only if Super Arm is active, but don't quote me on that. Or do, but I don't remember.

Pretty fun game overall. It's not perfect like you said, but the amount of content adds up, and it's clearly better made than the original Mega Man was. It gets some major bonus points from me for that and for having all these characters you can play as. Replayability is great, but why Powered Up was only stuck on the PSP when Capcom and ports go together like bread and butter is beyond me. To be fair though, the DS games coming up eventually also didn't do so hot compared to the GBA days.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow, "wwwww" is a sensible chuckle. "88888" is an actual laugh.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago raocow, "wwwww" is a sensible chuckle. "88888" is an actual laugh.
8 spam is clapping
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago
[??? VS. COPY ???]

COPY ???: How do you do, Original ???? I bet you're worrying about your precious Mega...ha ha ha...

???: What?! I-I...Th-that's not what I'm thinking at all!!

COPY ???: You and I are one in the same. I know everything about you. It's okay, I'll tell him for you. ...Or are you going to try to stop me?
wow that's kinda uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't think I ever liked those Guts Man stage platforms. I have a tendency to jump too early or at least want to do so. It's like it feels worse if you miss the timing and you don't even get to attempt the jump. And those extra wide gaps in the final stage looked quite picky.

And oh man the ZX games. If you liked what the Zero games had going, you're going to like the two ZX games a lot when you eventually get to them. I started playing the duology this month after leaving it unfinished like a decade ago, and it's really good.
Crow

Post by Crow »

oh

don't confuse me like that, megarao, i'm a dumb idiot :partygator:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago I don't think I ever liked those Guts Man stage platforms.
I find them more frustrating in NES Mega Man where there's the glitch where if you're standing on one of those or the magnet beam, gravity continually gets added to your vertical velocity so if you get dropped/walk off, you don't just fall, you get flung down at terminal velocity. It feels like insult to injury.
Crow

Post by Crow »

my thoughts after watching this vid:

NOOOOOOoooo.....