(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mega Man ZX Advent - The Last Mega Man

Post by Kilgamayan »

For the record, "tfw no gf" has nothing to do with the fact that, when given a player character choice in any video game, one should always choose the/a girl.

Discussion has mostly moved on since but I never really clarified my original intentions, so
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago What's the difference between the two, and why is it being recommended raocow play Gray because he played Aile in ZX?

Each of the ZX protagonists have a supporting role (perhaps major? I don't know) in ZXA. Which one you get depends on which ZXA protagonist you choose. If you play as Grey, your support is Aile. If you play as Ashe, your support is Vent.

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks.
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Ok thanks for spoiling that I guess
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Condensing all the valid reasons to "stuff about Grey" and "countering" that with a self-quote isn't much of a counterpoint and I felt it wasn't being constructive. That's all.
Last edited by ano0maly 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Then I guess I just have to repeat that "playing as a girl when you don't get to 39/40ths of the time" is a valid reason in itself. And when you read "you should play as her because she's a girl" and immediately read a "waifu" subtext that wasn't there as the only possible interpretation, I think that's a bit rude to girls.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There are plenty of games where playing as girl(s) is your only option, too.

I just don't agree with
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago when given a player character choice in any video game, one should always choose the/a girl.
Kilga's post above still falls under me going "But why?" Such an absolutist statement doesn't make sense given that the game gave you options. It's obvious what to pick if one option is clearly better because the game didn't balance them well, but otherwise you should weigh the options and make the decision.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Yes, and one option has you playing as a girl. When you didn't get to 39/40 times previous, in the context of a marathon mega man LP. I don't know why this is hard to understand.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Ok thanks for spoiling that I guess
I apologize. I thought what I posted had already been made common knowledge. I've now spoilered it. My error.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Look, those other times there was no gender choice to speak of. It's not like it was Rock/Roll choice those 40 times and raocow picked Rock every time. We don't need to go this far balancing things out by picking girls for the next 40 LPs.

We gave a girl a chance to shine in the spotlight in ZX. I was happy too. Happy because I felt it was a better experience (the only "downside" I heard anyone mention was that Aile's SFX sounds more squeaky, which I don't mind). Popular opinion seemed to be highly in favor of Aile.

This time popular opinion is split, with reasons related to the game itself. Let's give actual consideration to those this time is what I'm saying.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Look, I'm supportive of Grey but it makes sense why people would want some variety of protagonists after all these Mega Men.

ano0maly, putting all talk of merit aside, your comment about people only wanting to see Ashe because "she's their girlfriend" was completely unwarranted when it was explained what their reasoning is. If you're confused specifically by Kilga's comment, then address them specifically, but everyone else's intentions was pretty clear from the start. Even if you disagree, there's no reason to brush it off entirely.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was referring specifically to Kilgamayan originally (and I started in a jokingly way at first). If others have other reasons for Ashe they're welcome to address that and others could reply if needed. I just didn't agree with what Kilga said due to lack of actual reason.
Leet

Post by Leet »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago Look, those other times there was no gender choice to speak of.
Exactly. That's the point, to take this opportunity the two (2) out of ~50 times that we're given it.

I'm fully expecting raocow to continue on with Grey and am totally happy with that, but treating playing as a girl to be a gimmick that we "gave a chance" to once is just an egregious thing to say.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago I was referring specifically to Kilgamayan originally (and I started in a jokingly way at first). If others have other reasons for Ashe they're welcome to address that and others could reply if needed. I just didn't agree with what Kilga said due to lack of actual reason.
Well, I think I speak for most people that in this instance you didn't manage to come off that way. Honestly, I really didn't read any joking tone to any of your posts the previous page.

But as long as we're all clear now anyway.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If a long-running series is well known for playing as girls - a mahou shoujo franchise or something - and suddenly a game offers a chance to be a boy, I 'm not going to jump to picking him either. Maybe once just to have something fresh, but not every time. I would see who I want to pick and why.

I can understand other reasons for Ashe but I just felt that one statement about picking a girl in any video game was something I could not agree to.

@freshtalk Usually if I omit capital letters and punctuation it means there's a less than serious tone.
Last edited by ano0maly 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Not to be rude to Kilga, but I don't think we were meant to take that post seriously either. Or at least, not as an actual arguement.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The sentiment was sincere but the presentation was mildly silly because that seems to be the ethos at this website. For any importance my opinion may or may not have, I do genuinely think an Ashe playthrough would be better on both the micro level and the macro level.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm probably too late to chime in at this point but i say play as ashe because i'm robophobic and this is only the second opportunity you've had to play as a human in this series :slow:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

I'm too lazy to type, so I'll just leave these here as independent study.

PS: Choose Ashe because lasers are cool.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

there's two reasons I think grey is a better choice than ashe(besides what's already been mentioned), one of which is story based and fairly spoilery, and the other is gameplay related. also arguably spoilery, so here it is in tags:

Megaman ZXA already has an issue with a lot of forms being not worth actually using besides when the game makes you, and this is worsened when you play as Ashe because a lot of her form's charge attacks are just flat out worse for no reason at all. Her model L gets a stupid stationary ice block instead of a homing dragon that goes through walls, and it does less damage on hit(especially when you hit it to make it split-in that case it does only half the damage as the dragon), her model F bomb is harder to use and does half damage to Grey's charged attack again, her model H has a useless backwards tornado instead of the split shot tornado and has much worse coverage and utility as a result. Model ZX and Model A are a wash/subjective, but having all the elemental guardian forms be shittier versions of Grey's guardian forms really sucks and strongly disencentivizes actually using elemental weaknesses and varying things up. As a result you basically just spend all game using model A, or model ZX once you have it(and at that point you won't even be playing as a girl anyways because model ZX will be Vent if you play as Ashe).

Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

you act as if raocow will use those anyways
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

he used them situationally in the last game! quite a bit during boss refights.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years agoThere are plenty of games where playing as girl(s) is your only option, too.
This really isn't a great counterpoint. While it's certainly much more common than it used to be, games forcing you to play as a guy are still the most common occurrence followed by games actually giving you a choice instead of making that choice for you. Games that force you to play as a girl are still the minority and, in my experience, the ones that most commonly do it are visual novels where it's a lot more excusable since changing the protagonist's gender could heavily impact the story.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

rip the dream
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Holy Moly, Billy here might've been the first NPC we've ever seen to take down a basic mechaniloid! He's the strongest generic in the world!

PSEUDOROID FACTS!

Buckfire the Gaxelleroid, known in Japan as Deerburn the Gazeroid (ディアバーン・ザ・ガゼロイド Diabān za Gazeroido), is the Pseudoroid tasked with assaulting the delivery train to Legion HQ.

Buckfire is a male Pseudoroid based on a gazelle, with extra traits from the popular perception of North American Plains Indians. His body has a sand color, with details in red, black and white. He has two cannons for arms with long red hooks on the wrists, and a pair of red and black horns quite a bit similar to sword blades. The Biometal fragment disguised as plating on the back of his head resembles the feathers of a war bonnet, and his feet closely resemble pilots (also known as cow plows) from locomotives.

Equipped with a fragment of Model W, Buckfire specializes in blitz tactics. He uses his Biometal's output to superheat the blades on his arms and head, as well as to shoot fire arrows from his cannons.

Buckfire is a highly aggressive Pseudoroid who values order above all else, and holds disdain for women, seeing them as mere children compared to him. However, while of average intelligence for a Pseudoroid, he is not eloquent, as his sentences tend to lack prepositions and do not follow proper grammar forms.

Buckfire leads the Maverick attack on the Train of the Hunter's Guild as it transports Model A to Legion HQ. When confronted by the new Mega Man Model A, he claims that the Biometal broke the rules by lending its power to a "defective" (if the player is Grey) or a "girl" (if the player is Ashe).

He has a myriad of high-agility techniques that can destroy objects above and below him, and his Biometal fragment is used to superheat the blades on his arms and head.

When copied using A-Trans, he can shoot a trio of flaming arrows, use the blades on his wrists as slicing boomerangs, shoot straight up while destroying anything there, plummet down in a Rider Kick, and slice anything touching the blades on his head while dashing.

Attacks:
Slash Dash: Buckfire dashes with his horns forward.
Canyon Jump: Buckfire jumps towards a wall, then leaps away from it.
Burning Arrow: Buckfire holds his arms together and fires three arrows in different angles.
Double Tomahawks: Buckfire throws the hooks on his arms, each spinning in a triangle pattern before returning to him.
Rockit Leap: Buckfire charges energy and jumps high, with his horns destroying anything in his path.
Meteor Kick: Buckfire jumps into the air and charges energy, and performs a powerful diagonal downward kick.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Remember you can look into the menu at any time to see all of a form's moves, since I don't think Model A will explain every single thing they can do.

And do your best to finish every Pseudoroid with a fully charged shot to see them blasted apart in graphic detail!!!

Anyhow, A-Trans is very cool. I have to imagine a lot people wondered back in X7 and X8 what would happen if Axl could transform into bosses too. Well, now we (sorta) know!