(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Mighty No. 9 - Better Than Nothing

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow. How often does it happen you can double-KO bosses while you are 1hp away from dieing yourself.

raocow might be the only one to ever do this.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Chirei

Re: Mega Man X - Violet Detector

Post by Chirei »

I cannot stress this enough, Capcom did not design (at least the Normal difficulty) for the average X player. You have to use every single advantage you can get, sometimes even right down to where the plasma ball gets generated when you fire.

X has the equivalent of 64 lines of health, or 2 fully-upgraded lifebars. The bosses, for most purposes, have the same amount.

The reason that your health carries over is the scoring system. Since this is supposed to be for the veteran X players, it's an actual thing to try to score on this leaderboard, which does deduct points based on how much you die or take damage.

I know you mentioned it in the description, but do not hesitate on trying Special Weapons. They actually had to program in damage values for every boss specifically, and there are some interesting interactions like "soft weaknesses".

The generally accepted weapon for 1-1 for example, is Fire Wave. It's not Frost Walrus's weakness, but he DOES take increased damage from it, somewhere in between using your buster and hitting him with his actual weakness, probably because he's also weak to fire. You'll have to find these out on your own - i'm just putting out the knowledge here that you'll probably need to survive because it's going to get ridiculous extremely fast. This is 75% execution, 10% boss RNG, and 15% knowing what to do.

It might also help to re-read the weaknesses of the upcoming bosses from past games. They expect you to know those too.

A link back to my first post with more specifics if needed.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 - Double Trouble

Post by Bean »

Always found this mode as nothing more than a bit of a neat, if tacked-on diversion. Have as much fun as you can with it because this doesn't pull any punches on normal.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

More random things that may or may not be useful or interesting:

When starting with NO special weapons equipped, X also un-armors himself. You instead get to play as... this.

Because it is straight-up impossible to dodge some of the attacks generated from these pair-ups without the hover boots, you will always have them even as """""""Naked""""""" X.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Strike Chain had a special ability in X2 where if you killed most enemies with the charged version, you could get life and energy pickups guaranteed from defeating them.

This functionality was reprogrammed, and buffed, for X Challenge:

It now gives a 50% chance to either be large life energy, or large weapon energy. It will also work when defeating bosses that can be damaged by it (some bosses take 0 damage from the Strike Chain!!), so you can theoretically use this to recover health and energy in between stages, but it's a dice roll. It obviously also only works when the Strike Chain is actually one of the 9 weapons you can use for the boss set.

Only some boss spawns will drop items, as shown above by Bubble Crab's minions. There are a few more elsewhere.

Defeating the second boss will still generate an item, but since you lose control, there's nothing you can do but stand there and watch it disappear.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Oh wow, what a fun idea! So the menu calls this Challenge vol. 2, is there a vol. 1 with bosses from other games? I'm guessing it's only bosses from the 2d sprite games in these.
I would love to see the weapons used, considering there's a generous selection of them, and it seems from the extremely large health bars that's how this mode was intended to be played as well.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Mea wrote: 5 years ago Oh wow, what a fun idea! So the menu calls this Challenge vol. 2, is there a vol. 1 with bosses from other games? I'm guessing it's only bosses from the 2d sprite games in these.
Bosses from 1-6 are present in both volumes. The only difference is the third stage of every world, which is yuck.

The weapons don't look any different from their original incarnations either, but for some reason they used different sound effects for everything in this mode.

I prefer using the original sound effects for better telegraphing, and the remixed boss music (they remixed X1-X6's boss themes) because they SLAP
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Does this mean when raocow finishes Distorted Travesty 3, he's going to have a gaiden arc to fight 4x Warmaster?
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Double boss madness? Clashing sprite styles? A weird armor palette? This feels like a "good fan-game" where someone painstakingly recreated the bosses for their own engine and then decided to test if they could both fight the player at the same time as a joke/hard mode challenge.

Unless the enemy is designed with it in mind. Copy pasting a challenging boss next another already challenging boss doesn't usually yield fun gameplay. Dark Souls 2 was especially guilty of this, and monsters in Monster Hunter, another Capcom series, basically create impossible situations if two monsters decide to hang out together.
Atleast in the later you could throw dung bombs at the monster to shoo it away.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

This is meant for MMX superfans who can beat every game with their eyes closed, I don't think they cared about """"""good"""""" game design
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago This is meant for MMX superfans who can beat every game with their eyes closed, I don't think they cared about """"""good"""""" game design
I wouldn't put it on that level, but I cannot say why because it involves levels and interactions further down the line.

These are all very possible, but you have to be somewhere in between the level of "average" and "godlike" to get a clear on Normal. raocow is in this (very wide) area (especially with the win he pulled off today), but it depends on how much he dies and has to start the thing over, since his actual enemy is recording time.

Hard fits your description since there's nothing different except changed numbers and it's just "do the frame perfect thing more but more consistent" which is exactly what speedrunner-tier players do.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

No, I get that, it's just that Zum was just like "oh this looks the same as a really bad unfun fangame that tries too be too hard by screwing the player over, gonna be cautious about it" and I'm just like "tbh who cares let people make the game they wanna make, not all games have to cater to everyone"

basically leet's defense argument for hyper vi before she lost it and gave up any hope in the game

I'm not saying any of this to attack Zummorr in any way, I know very well he wasn't trying to attack the game or anything, I just see stances like this from people who are a lot more negative towards games (hyper vi thread) and I wanted to offer my dissenting opinion also his avatar keeps making me wanna replay bof3 even though i beat it just a few months ago
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

And now raocow is only playing hellgames. Good luck!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

A bit late, but

> Mr. Graham
> Takehiko Koyasu

Perfect.

EDIT: I'm not gonna lie, Trinity Wurm looked fun as hell. Trinity Cloud less so but only because she spends too long being invincible, and honestly that's manageable. (And both of her humanoid forms are cute User Was Banned For This Post etc etc.)

Also everyone that says we didn't miss anything meaningful by not seeing the postgame cutscene is a Big Fat Liar

Stupendous
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Can we make an exception here where you can just look up the weaknesses ahead of time?
Cause I have a feeling this is gonna be a very boring week if we're just bustering a bunch of spammy bosses to death. Today was basically optimal in terms of how this could go, where you got through without using a continue. It took almost 20 minutes, and if you died you'd have to restart everything, making it at least a 40 minute play session and a longer + more boring video.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah this looks less like something that needs a full LP and more of something to like, check out for a few vids and then be done with

otherwise it's just gonna be a worse retread of that arcade game from a year ago that was just nothing but boss fights for days
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I did not want to say anything, but 2-2 is definitely a gigantic roadblock. No one did this blind and didn't die to it, I don't care how good you are.

Regardless of if you want to do practice mode or not, you should know a few things:

-You can use the weapon switch buttons to select weapons while the mavericks are loading in. Also use this time to charge the special weapons if applicable. It helps a lot depending on the fight. Charged Spinning Blade would have killed Neon Tiger in like 9 hits.
-Skiver is an X5 boss, so he has almost no i-frames. You can really slap him down once he's alone and you have his pattern down. He still sucks and just takes up too much real estate, though.
-There is also Easy Mode, which makes you take half damage and the bosses take double. It kind of removes all challenge since all the bosses become pathetically easy, though...
Crow

Post by Crow »

i'm in favor of switching this over to easy mode because if this is the -second- of -9- stages, this isn't gonna work for the schedule raocow tries to keep at all

unless we want another godhome-type situation
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

will putting it on easy like remove some content or something? because like I want to see these but yikes, this is the second video and the time it took made the rest of my day something.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago will putting it on easy like remove some content or something? because like I want to see these but yikes, this is the second video and the time it took made the rest of my day something.
Easy will only change the ending splash screen (the one for Normal is... curious, to put it lightly), and the bosses basically become easier by a factor of 4 (you take half, they take double). You can basically fireman everyone and not have to think at all.

You also get all your health and weapons refilled after every fight, and the first of the two bosses drops a large energy pickup when they blow up. It will become more like X Showcase more than X Challenge.

They really did not scale the difficulty options very well on this thing. THIS should have been hard mode, and Normal should have had refills and health drops.
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i can only assume hard is "bosses take one hour to kill. you die in one hit"
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i can only assume hard is "bosses take one hour to kill. you die in one hit"
You take double damage, they take half.

So... yes. I cheated through Hard to see the super secret final boss only available there, and it decidedly wasn't worth it.

The secret True Last Boss took me like 9 full lifebars worth to win, actually trying to dodge sometimes too.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Talk about a missed opportunity to fix things.

I agreed to...
Chirei wrote: They really did not scale the difficulty options very well on this thing. THIS should have been hard mode, and Normal should have had refills and health drops.
Normal Mode should have HP Refills as well. Some stages were already "hard" due to some of the stages' designs, and restarting from the beginning after a game over was already punishable enough.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I'm also going to put this out here as well because it's important:

If the switch to Easy is ultimately decided upon, it should be done sooner than later.

Progress does NOT save between difficulty modes, so raocow would be starting all the way back from 1-1. Neither of my save files have the game cleared on Easy.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I think the best would be to go easy then, and then when I do volume 1 clean-up those would be single fights done in normal? that would make sense to me.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I haven't mentioned this yesterday but some of the bosses have quite a clash in graphics style with each other or with X. Probably the most noticeable case of it we've seen in a raocow video in a while.

Also the fact that you don't get health restored when you beat bosses, but they get health back when they beat you, feels... rude? It doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of a marathon if the accumulating progress only applies to one side. I guess they were emulating boss refight levels, but at least in those you get a decent health drop after a successful boss dispatching. If not a health restore, they could have given you an alternative reward when a boss pair is defeated: an extra life, weapon refills, an option to change at least one of your weapons, something.

So yeah, if the game is being this unfair, I would not have remorse using easy mode. I guess maybe you can give a level an honest try and if it's not working out you can "tour" it with easy, similar to touring levels in a Mario game with save states or SMBX cheats.
Chirei wrote: 5 years ago Progress does NOT save between difficulty modes, so raocow would be starting all the way back from 1-1. Neither of my save files have the game cleared on Easy.
oh