(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AweStriker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mighty No. 9 - Better Than Nothing

Post by AweStriker »

That last achievement felt like a slap to the face.

The level I can't help but draw comparisons to ZX Advent's Ouroboros, which had a similar gimmick in the reappearing block-enemies that was also infinitely easier to understand.

MN9 looked passable maybe before this but yikes. What a nosedive in terms of level design quality right at the end. That'd sour most anyone.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Wow. I'd heard about the ridiculous list of backers, but I hadn't realized that it included anonymous ones. It would be so easy to say "and X more who wished to remain anonymous!" and condense the list accordingly.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

“Super Fighting Robot”.

Three empty words.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Even I don't know how those regenerating blocks work. I just blasted through all of them with Battalion's weapon until an opening appeared.

Other than that, raocow has already said everything I would have said about the end of this game, if not better.

So instead, let us look to the future, and get ready for tomorrow's game!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~X Challenge~

Everyone's favorite B-Rank Hunter is back, and sporting a new look!
There doesn't seem to be an official name for this armor. It's a color alteration of the Ultimate Armor, but it lacks some of its abilities. I will refer to it for the purposes of this thread as the "Challenge Armor".

Challenge Armor Head Parts - ...Possibly reduces weapon energy consumption? No perceivable way to test the effect, as """"Naked""""" X in this game cannot use Special Weapons.

Challenge Armor Body Parts - Reduces damage by... about 25%? Also a bit hard to tell. Does not have the Nova Strike of the original Ultimate Armor and Fourth Armor.

Challenge Armor Arm Parts - Grants X the Plasma Shot. It only leaves 1 plasma ball instead of the 3 of the original Ultimate Armor, BUT the plasma balls can damage the bosses in this game! Each damage tick does the same damage as 1 lemon.

Lemon - 1 damage
Mid-charge - twice as strong as a lemon
Full Charge - 3x as strong as a lemon

Challenge Armor Foot Parts - Allows X to Hover and Air Dash. You must learn how to master both of these moves if you wish to survive on anything besides Easy Difficulty. Selecting no Special Weapons will also cause X to go in with only these parts equipped, as they are required to dodge some attacks.

X also comes equipped with the old Z-Saber. Press the Special Weapon button without one selected to swing it just like in X6. Does as much damage as a mid-charge shot.

X will have a set selection of 9 weapons to choose up to 3 from in each "world". The original weaknesses of the bosses will ALWAYS be present amongst them, but there might be a few others. Some bosses even gain new weaknesses, so don't hesitate to try other things if you don't think your strategy is working.

X starts with 2 lives, and any weapon energy use or damage taken will carry over between stages. Dying sometimes refills a little weapon energy (I think the weapon has to be completely empty or close to it though?)

Lastly, the bosses present have different amounts of i-frames depending on the game they came from, for some reason. SNES bosses generally have way longer i-frame periods, and X5 bosses have almost no i-frames. Special Weapons/Weaknesses tend to change these rules on a case-by-case basis, though.

Other than that, I worry about how this will go. Some of these fights get pretty mean, especially if you aren't adept at the X games.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I'm sorry you had to go through this awful boss

I'm grateful that you accepted my request for the majority of the run of the French dub

I'm sorry that Achievement exists
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

At the risk of sounding like a giant nerd, I absolutely adore the look of the 'Challenge Armour' and think it's super cool.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

freshtalk wrote: 5 years ago At the risk of sounding like a giant nerd, I absolutely adore the look of the 'Challenge Armour' and think it's super cool.
I liken it to Diddy's special Hero Mode outfit in the GBA version of DKC1. It's just a color swap, but it carries with it a special significance.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Regarding the whole evolution experiment thing. While sci-fi characters who research evolution always end up referring to themselves gods, or creating things that spiral out of control, evolution research is actually common in the field of biology. One lab has been growing populations of e.coli in flasks for over 25 years and monitoring the genetic change the e.coli has been undergoing. https://beacon-center.org/wp-content/up ... Lenski.pdf

Atleast this game's final level didn't force you to refight all the robot masters Mighty Numbers before the final boss, that would've been a nightmare.

Still, it's an important part of the Megaman experience! Re-fighting the bosses with guaranteed access to their weakness to show how far you've come. Most Megaman games past MMX3 had the boss refights just before the final boss rather than having it be its own level with the final boss separate. Why would you constrain yourself to the arbitrary eight linear level design if you are only going to neglect the payoff?

The answer is that they probably wanted to add the boss refights but then ran out of money/time. But I dunno.

Is it safe to say Mighty Number 9 is a basically what killed the indiegogo hype that shovel knight started? Have there been any other projects that attracted such a magnitude of crowd funding?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Is it safe to say Mighty Number 9 is a basically what killed the indiegogo hype that shovel knight started?
Yooka-Laylee sure helped in burying that craze.

All eyes on Bloodstained and Shenmue III.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Mea

Post by Mea »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago The last boss is Alpha from BN3 that turns into a Devil that turns into a Kirby Boss that turns into Call design D.

This sure was a 4.5/10 videogame.

Call design D here.
Inafune's design submission, btw. Guess that had to get into the game somehow. They should have added her into Mighty Gunvolt as a playable DLC character though, that could have been neat.

edit: ah, found the post-credit scene. Could have been interesting, honestly. Dr. White seems to be made out to be very prideful and arrogant about his own creations (he even said he was proud of Trinity in that boss fight. While it was, you know, possibly going to destroy all of the everything). Dr. Blackwell also seems like an interesting character. It's a shame things ended this way.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

A few of the things that really caught me off-guard with this final level are that there are no refights, a staple of Mega Man games, whatsoever. Even if they would've been clones or whatever, it would've made sense, but considering that half of them have an instant kill attack or arena, maybe that was for the best! Especially since the stage itself has those Xel things that respawn whenever they want.

Another thing is that there are only the three endgame stages in total, and one of them was a glorified tutorial with a weird difficulty curve. It doesn't help that all of them introduce new mechanics out of the blue, although the Robot Factory at least kept it mostly to switching forms and using them... which I'm sure a good many players didn't since most enemies are fodder and you can totally damage bosses quickly with Beck's normal form anyway.

Final boss is basically Brandish for the first phase and Battalion's form for the second phase. Those explosions deal ridiculous damage, but your strategy with Brandish to just say the heck with it for the finale was amazing in its simplicity. When Trinity goes in the middle, the idea is to knock it down a peg or two and then get to the sides so its spit can't reach you. That's where the bombs come into play. The idea for the critical attack is to use well-timed dashes to get around those spray waves.

If you cared about knowing the chain: Pyro/1 > Cryo/2 > Bat/5 > Mic/4 > Brand/7 > Dyna/3 > Shade/8 > Avi/6 > Pyro/1
Nameless is weak to Battalion, and again, Brandish and Battalion handle Trinity just fine.

Finally, Mighty Gunvolt Burst did a much better job of things for the new Super Fighting Robot (citation needed for that nickname).
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years agoAll eyes on Bloodstained and Shenmue III.
If the prequel to Bloodstained, which is already out, is anything to go by then Ritual of the Night is going to be pretty good too. I'm not a fan of the retro Castlevania style they went for but the game is nonetheless pretty solid and I enjoyed it despite hating that style of controls. Definitely seems like they're not going to drop the ball as hard as Mighty No. 9 did.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

whenever i see brandish's name i think of the falcom dungeon crawler
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh yeah this level does one of the worst Video Game Writing things ever, where the protagonists just guess what's going on in order to explain it, thus walking you through the plot every step of the way when it's really not needed, at all. Like you beat trinity and beck says "Her true form...?" for no reason, jesus christ, we can infer things with our own brains
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Darkonius64 »

That achievement name... Ouch
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Also fun fact about Matt Mercer; when Mega Man 11 came up during his D&D Podcast (I think Capcom was a sponsor for Critical Role one night?), everyone just kind of had a depressing response with Mercer lamenting something to the affect of "I gave a lot of money to that game..."

Speaking of Matt Mercer, this game, and its' Generous Backers, Critical Role had(/has) a kickstarter that is nearing 10 million dollars, but then I have *way* more faith in them.

Anyway that last level...it feels so lazy. Like, there's ONE type of enemy that just gets bigger, and then there's big puffy balls that turn into blocks, and SOMETIMES are destroyed, but their respawn timer starts as soon as they turn into blacks, but doesn't turn them back from blocks??? It feels so nonsensical. Like, it almost feels like they designed the stage early enough on, but forgot to populate it with anything until super late into production, so everyone was scrambling to fill it last minute with...absolutely nothing.

Anyway I dunno what tomorrow will be, but I DO know that the "tentative" finale is going to be way better. One of my favorite MM games in the series, at least!
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Yeah I remember having a lot of trouble with this final level. It's even more fun when you don't give yourself the lives handicap and need to do the incredibly boring stage leading up to the boss like 10 times.
Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago Also fun fact about Matt Mercer; when Mega Man 11 came up during his D&D Podcast (I think Capcom was a sponsor for Critical Role one night?), everyone just kind of had a depressing response with Mercer lamenting something to the affect of "I gave a lot of money to that game..."
He gave money to Mega Man 11?
And why would he be depressed, it turned out pretty good.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the level itself is so.... unimportant, it feels like, it's just like, a random level

and then the boss is lolslow and lolbad

yeah i dug the aesthetic of the level but that's about it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago Even I don't know how those regenerating blocks work. I just blasted through all of them with Battalion's weapon until an opening appeared.
I belive they regenerate based on proximity to beck, so if you shoot them from too far away, they regenerate.

and this leads to my largest complaint: none of this game is designed around using your long range weapon like a long range weapon. all enemies can only be assimilated by dashing into them and points are from doing it as soon as possible after stunning so all shooting from a distance does is either reduce how many points you get, or worse , let a boss regenerate.
the game works a lot better with a melee weapon, and when playing the game i just typically defeat brandish first and cosplay as protoman.exe for the rest of the game and it typically makes the game a lot more tolerable.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Tenlade wrote: 5 years ago I belive they regenerate based on proximity to beck, so if you shoot them from too far away, they regenerate.
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard (in regards to the people who made this game)

Why couldnt they just reuse the concept of oh, I dunno, the regenerating orange blocks from Ouroboros in ZXA? The ones that made more sense and even had graphical tells for regenerating?

It's like Inti fired 99% of their staff in the time between MM10 and this game and hired amateurs to fill the gap during MN9's development who didn't care about looking at past successes for reference...
Grounder

Re: Metal Slug X

Post by Grounder »

Seems fun enough so far,
BUT WILL IT LAST !!!

The answer is that there are supposedly some fights straight from Robot Hell, so probably not.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

oh wow this isn't bad as content itself but it is super anti-LP in nature lol

raocow was one hit away from redoing 10-15 minutes of gameplay