(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Mighty No. 9 - Better Than Nothing

Post by Crow »

boy that boss sure
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I can kind of accept that there is some sort of unspecified difficulty that inexplicably makes robots dashing off of ladders an insurmountable engineering challenge, but Beck can dash from thin air, so why doesn't he just let go of the ladder and air dash?
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

also i hate the 'better than nothing' line because it was said by publishers and not anyone actually involved in making the game yet it became universally the way anyone refers to this game
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Can any """Real"" French" people confirm the reading of the script is as weird as raocow implies in the Battalion episode?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Avi's echoed metropolitan French at near the begining of the video gave me terrible flashbacks to the DELF exam. How can I do listening comprehension when I can't listen to what I'm supposed to be comprehending?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago also i hate the 'better than nothing' line because it was said by publishers and not anyone actually involved in making the game yet it became universally the way anyone refers to this game
it was said by ben judd who organized the campaigns for mighty no 9 and bloodstained and was also the first voice actor for phoenix wright :)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ben Judd was involved with the game in some ways such as translating for Inafune, and was an agent for Comcept at the time.

Given that the CEO of Inti Creates, Takuya Aizu, got very mad at the poor Masterclass trailer, this further shows the contrast between the two companies IMO. (To be fair though Judd was also critical of the development history of the game.)
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Ben Judd seems to have been reading a translation for Inafune, who was literally right next to him at the time (footage of this exists in places.)

I am not sure how accurate the translation was, but depending on how you take it, it either came from Inafune's own mouth, or it was a slight alteration of the intended message with a similar tone.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think it was found out that it wasn't Inafune's own words and instead were comments Ben Judd added while translating.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

It was Ben's own comments.

Image Image
Mea

Post by Mea »

KobaBeach wrote: It was Ben's own comments.
Surprisingly, I've never heard that quote/thread title before, but all he says in that video is "We have no plans at the moment (of adding expansion dlc), but the possibility could exist."

I really quite like the visuals in today's video. The red of the steel girders in the backgrounds reminds me of an auspicious sort, of like japanese shrines and shrine-y reds and what not, makes me think it could be like a Tenguman stage in some alternate timeline. Neat level! Seems Inti Creates has a knack for making neat vertical skyscraper-ylevels, between this one and Jota's stage in Gunvolt 1.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Wtf, when Beck dies Aviator reports on it like it was a child's suicide, jesus christ
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

What is with all the ideas taken from X7? This whole 'pirate broadcast from a communication tower' gimmick was Tonion's bit!

MIGHTY FACTS! AVIATOR

Mighty No. 6, Aviator, is the sixth robot in Dr. White's Mighty Robot line, built for reconnaissance and mid-air combat. Aviator is 220cm/7ft 3 inches tall, and weighs 150kg/331lb.

Aviator is a fast-moving and fast-talking robot who becomes a showboater in front of the camera. He adopts the persona of a news anchor as Beck climbs the Radio Tower, reporting on his progress and giving him advance notice of weather hazards, enemies, and his attacks during their battle. He also references the "republic" he wants to create, suggesting that he values equality (or at least fair representation) of all kinds of robots. He has an informal way of speaking and often calls Beck nicknames such as "Beckels," "Tyrannosaurus Becks," "Rud-Beck-a," and "Beckropolis" after being restored to his senses.

Aviator was one of the eight Mighty Numbers who went berserk due to the virus. He took over the Radio Tower, appearing multiple times throughout the stage to give a news report or to taunt Beck. Aviator can fly using his propeller and can drop the bombs on his legs. He can also use the Vulcans under his arms and he can use a flying camera to damage Beck.

If Avi is defeated, he will appear in the Oil Platform stage, guiding Beck to Pyrogen and knocking down pillars that would otherwise impede him.

Development
Interestingly, Aviator is the one design KimoKimo produced that was almost immediately agreed upon by the entire team, Inafune included.

Trivia

While one might think Aviator is based on Gyro Man due to his helicopter design, he actually bears a much greater resemblance to his NetNavi counterpart, GyroMan.EXE, as both can transform into an actual unmanned helicopter.
Avi's Japanese VA, Shōtaro Morikubo, is also known as the vocalist of "Monkey" and "The Answer" (the theme songs of Mega Man X5 and Mega Man X6, respectively). He's also the VA of Mega Man X and Dynamo in Mega Man X5 and Mega Man X6.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Aviator's a challenging fight, but there are some things that make it easier. He never targets you with his dives, so you can continually stay on the platform opposite of where he starts and light up his camera and him without really moving. Any time he goes for the bullets, you either want to get around him if he's in the middle or stay in the center if he's on the sides. Only when his health is low and he fires more shots do you have to actively jump.

I really enjoyed how this one played out since the enemy setup was neat enough, you can work with the wind to take down some enemies, although you all saw how easy it was to cheese that last section since there's nothing stopping you on the right. It's just almost all set up for you to have a good run without having much in the way of nonsense as other stages usually do.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago What is with all the ideas taken from X7? This whole 'pirate broadcast from a communication tower' gimmick was Tonion's bit!

MIGHTY FACTS! AVIATOR

Mighty No. 6, Aviator, is the sixth robot in Dr. White's Mighty Robot line, built for reconnaissance and mid-air combat. Aviator is 220cm/7ft 3 inches tall, and weighs 150kg/331lb.

Aviator is a fast-moving and fast-talking robot who becomes a showboater in front of the camera. He adopts the persona of a news anchor as Beck climbs the Radio Tower, reporting on his progress and giving him advance notice of weather hazards, enemies, and his attacks during their battle. He also references the "republic" he wants to create, suggesting that he values equality (or at least fair representation) of all kinds of robots. He has an informal way of speaking and often calls Beck nicknames such as "Beckels," "Tyrannosaurus Becks," "Rud-Beck-a," and "Beckropolis" after being restored to his senses.

Aviator was one of the eight Mighty Numbers who went berserk due to the virus. He took over the Radio Tower, appearing multiple times throughout the stage to give a news report or to taunt Beck. Aviator can fly using his propeller and can drop the bombs on his legs. He can also use the Vulcans under his arms and he can use a flying camera to damage Beck.

If Avi is defeated, he will appear in the Oil Platform stage, guiding Beck to Pyrogen and knocking down pillars that would otherwise impede him.

Development
Interestingly, Aviator is the one design KimoKimo produced that was almost immediately agreed upon by the entire team, Inafune included.

Trivia

While one might think Aviator is based on Gyro Man due to his helicopter design, he actually bears a much greater resemblance to his NetNavi counterpart, GyroMan.EXE, as both can transform into an actual unmanned helicopter.
Avi's Japanese VA, Shōtaro Morikubo, is also known as the vocalist of "Monkey" and "The Answer" (the theme songs of Mega Man X5 and Mega Man X6, respectively). He's also the VA of Mega Man X and Dynamo in Mega Man X5 and Mega Man X6.
Don't forget the first opening song of X6, Moonlight.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So Seismic's ability is Brand's weakness, but it turns you into a bulldozer which... puts you cleanly in melee range to get hit.

This is an oversight worse than charge kick/power stone.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

oh hey i remember watching someone stream this game once and this was the stage they were playing

uuhh. i don't know why i remember it. they made it look harder than it is tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I think what was going on with the gas truck was that it was going to be getting in the way and obscuring the player's vision until Mic dragged it out of the way.

Also Brandish is a pretty cool Zeroto Man clone and I'm glad he didn't lose his way. His stage is also probably the best stage in the game.

Compare that to the next stage, which is the exact OPPOSITE of how you make a good purely-horizontal stage.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i cant believe not even mighty no 9 is safe from sonic hater propaganda

which reminds me the other day i read a slightly old sonic stadium thread on sega's weird ass "promotion" for team sonic racing where they invited arin of all people (also jirard!) to sega hq and barely discussed "all-stars racing: now with all the good shit taken out and replaced with sonic characters" and i shit you not one of the moderators literally told a member to shove it when someone brought up the fact that they were acting like a fanboy when they (the mod) were having a temper tantrum about arin and how he is conspiring to ruin sonic's reputation just like jim sterling who hates sonic because he made fun of the fanbase in a good review he gave to sonic 4 episode 1 or whatever.

the entire thread lowered my life expectancy by like 10 years and now im never stepping foot outside of sonic retro and srb2 ever again

oh yeah brandish's stage and weakness are awful. that whole road? kill plane
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Super Llama wrote: 5 years agoI think what was going on with the gas truck was that it was going to be getting in the way and obscuring the player's vision until Mic dragged it out of the way.
While true, what's funny is that truck does not show up if you haven't beaten Seismic yet. In other words, they added an obstruction that isn't there normally!

Brandish is easily the toughest of the eight bots to me. He's fast, his critical attack is even faster, and his weakness (Seismic) is not the easiest to smack him with repeatedly.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

And thus, ProtoZeroShadowCutMan falls to raocow's bullets.

MIGHTY FACTS! BRANDISH

Mighty No. 7, Brandish is the seventh robot in Dr. White's mighty robot line. Built for up close hit and run attacks, He is 167cm/5ft 6 inches tall, and weighs 150kg/331lbs.

Brandish is a traditional warrior who values discipline and self-control. For these reasons, he becomes deeply distressed when he realizes that he has become infected by the virus. He speaks respectfully to his opponents and warns Beck to stay away from him, which shows that he is afraid of destroying a fellow Mighty Number.

Brandish wields dual swords that resemble a pair of scissors. He displays extreme proficiency and agility in using them. They can reflect projectiles.

Development

After Beck's design was improved, Kimo Kimo went ahead and designed a "brother" robot for Beck on his own and wasn’t even assigned to work on boss designs at this point. Kimo Kimo was aiming for something cool, but the end product actually made people giggle and he liked the idea so much that Kimo Kimo told the team, “If you end up needing a red coloured guy, you have to let me design him!” Imaeda said they were settling on the parts that each of the Mighty Nos. would fill in the overall story, Inafune specified one of them to play an especially important role. That’s when Brandish’s unique aspects became more defined: Inafune wanted a sword-wielding robot that fans would really respond to. Kimo Kimo wanted one very cool boss with an awesome backstory… then it hit him -- he could re-use "that red guy" he made before and want this character to have a cooler, “sharper” feel to him. Kimo Kimo was struck upon another bit of inspiration -- Bruce Lee. He continued saying "not that his personality or personal history are related to Brandish at all, but he was a long-time fan." Soon afterward the sword evolved into a more scissor-like design. He got more requests from Inafune, including one that he carry the swords on his back when not in use, almost like butterfly wings. He was the first design Kimo Kimo worked on -- not including Beck -- and the last one he finished, but Brandish became the character he was most attached to and hoped everyone likes his design.

Trivia
Brandish's name means to wave or flourish something, especially a weapon as a threat, in anger, or excitement. Synonyms include: shake, wield, swing, swish, display, flaunt, or to show off.
Brandish resembles an amalgam of different Mega Man characters, but draws his greatest traits from Cut Man's scissors, Proto Man's colour scheme and brother relationship to Mega Man, Zero's personality and general physical design, and ShadowMan.EXE's ninja theme and scarf.
In the earlier design of him it can be seen that his scarf is grey and formed like a scissor. His big chin also wasn't drawn yet.
Brandish was the last Mighty No. to be presented to the public.
It is never explained how or why Brandish was able to resist the virus infection.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago
Super Llama wrote: 5 years agoI think what was going on with the gas truck was that it was going to be getting in the way and obscuring the player's vision until Mic dragged it out of the way.
While true, what's funny is that truck does not show up if you haven't beaten Seismic yet. In other words, they added an obstruction that isn't there normally!

Brandish is easily the toughest of the eight bots to me. He's fast, his critical attack is even faster, and his weakness (Seismic) is not the easiest to smack him with repeatedly.
So it's basically kinda like Avi's stage, where the hazard that the Mighty Number he's weak against thwarts was a complete non-issue anyway.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Don't worry about those road signs, raocow. They were already malfunctioning and useless to the drivers.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years agoone of the moderators literally told a member to shove it when someone brought up the fact that they were acting like a fanboy when they (the mod) were having a temper tantrum about arin and how he is conspiring to ruin sonic's reputation just like jim sterling who hates sonic because he made fun of the fanbase in a good review he gave to sonic 4 episode 1 or whatever.
I'm personally very happy that SammyClassicSonicFan got his dream job at Sega
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago Don't worry about those road signs, raocow. They were already malfunctioning and useless to the drivers.
Why do the empty automated cars need automated signs? Now that I think about it, a line of empty automated cars driving on the Interstate-40 Highway being guided by automated signage sounds like a pretty dystopian future.