(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Mighty No. 9 - Better Than Nothing

Post by Kilgamayan »

I'd also like to hear the Japanese voices at least once since apparently Call is M・A・O.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

clearly this is trending towards raocow rolling dice at the start of each episode to separately randomize (i) the sub language and (ii) the dub language
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

From what I can tell, the French dub feels like the Portuguese dubs for children's animation here where everything feels overacted and unnatural like a 4kids dub or a really bad shounen

Too bad this didn't have Ken le Survivant or Dragon Ball Portugal levels of script rewriting I'm sure it would have made for a far better experience
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago From what I can tell, the French dub feels like the Portuguese dubs for children's animation here where everything feels overacted and unnatural like a 4kids dub or a really bad shounen

Too bad this didn't have Ken le Survivant or Dragon Ball Portugal levels of script rewriting I'm sure it would have made for a far better experience
Yeah. This is kind of why I requested this repeatedly: After seeing Psychedelic Eyeball lose his shit over the French dub and how...poor it is back when he streamed it on release, I felt "Man, I would enjoy raocow just facepalming through all of this."

But yes. Thank you, raocow, for accepting this small request which I first submitted back in the 2016-17 Patapon B-Side Requests! :) It was everything I hoped for (especially now that I'm having a time :( )
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

don't worry, you weren't the only one

(and i was reminding him too)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago don't worry, you weren't the only one

(and i was reminding him too)
That was my request! Thanks for finding it :catplanet:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

why does everything in this game look so bad. The water effects look like something ripped straight from a ps2 tech demo.

MIGHTY FACTS! CRYOSPHERE!

Mighty No. 2, Cryosphere, is a robot with water and ice based abilities and the second in Dr. White's Mighty Number line. She is one of the two female Mighty Numbers, along with Dynatron. Cryosphere is the main boss of the Water Works Bureau. She is 136cm/4ft 5.5 inches tall, and weighs 102kg/225lbs.

Cryosphere is a prankster, mischievous, childish and lively. She enjoys joking around with her siblings and greatly enjoys puns, so much so that she even tells her siblings puns that they can use (such as Dynatron), and makes ice-related puns constantly. She becomes bored when she has no one around to joke around with. She gets upset when others criticize her puns, and seems to have something of a quick temper. Despite her personality and appearance being at odds with her place as the second oldest Mighty Number, she sees herself as worthy of respect for her status and will sometimes bring up her age when she is disrespected by one of her younger siblings. Though she may consider her antics annoying, she is ultimately kind and amicable.

While under the effects of a virus that makes robots go berserk, Cryo's personality takes on a more malicious edge. She becomes more mocking of those around her and her pranks become more malevolent and dangerous. She invades the Water Works Bureau and freezes it over, then antagonizes Beck as he attempts to confront her and put a stop to her fun.

Cryosphere can store water in the tank on her back, and then use the water to attack her foes. She can spew water from her right hand at high pressure, enough to even lift herself into the air with a downward stream. When the tank runs out, she can attach her left arm to a water output valve to refill her tank. Cryosphere can also use her right arm to fire her water at reduced temperatures, allowing her to release flurries or balls of ice that can freeze targets on contact. Cryosphere herself is resistant to these temperatures and can even coat herself in ice to attack, generally by surrounding herself in a spiky ball of ice and crushing foes underneath her.

Development

After it was decided that Mighty No. 8 would be designed as a male instead of a female like initially planned, KIMOKIMO decided that the water and ice theme of Mighty No. 2 would be more fitting for a female design. KIMOKIMO based Cryosphere's final design off of old British diving suits, in contrast with Beck's spacesuit inspired design. She was devised to be the adorable mascot of the Mighty Numbers and her tiny proportions, water-bubble carry-on tank and bulbous helmet are all meant to give her a suitably cute appearance. Her left and right hands were designed as water input and output valves, respectively, to both address the problem of how her water tank was meant to refill and give her an interesting, asymmetrical appearance. In early stages, Cryosphere was designed with more female characteristics in mind, such as a faucet on top of her head resembling a ponytail, but the faucet was later moved to her right hand.

Trivia
Cryosphere's large, circular water reservoir bears some similarity to that of Mega Man 8's Aqua Man.
According to KIMOKIMO, Cryosphere has a more human-like face underneath her mask.
Last edited by Heavy Sigh 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago Image
Well,
what else could be said after this post
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

In all of Inafune's wisdom, he decided that since this is the first game, it has Megaman 1 spike rules where hazards ignore all your i-frames!!!

Cryo is probably the worst of the 8 bosses, but you weren't playing in english so you didn't get to hear just how annoying she is. She also starts to accentuate just how flawed the core gameplay of Mighty No. 9 is.

You have to dash into bosses to remove that portion of their bar, but Cryo can very easily freeze you as you get her to that section of bar, and will guarantee that she heals back a lot of the damage since if you're not frozen, she's just in the air with no way to attack her unless you already have some of the other abilities. Really bad design.

Also absolutely no complaints from me jacking up the starting lives counter to 9. This game deserves absolutely no mercy and should be picked apart for what it is.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago why does everything in this game look so bad. The water effects look like something ripped straight from a ps2 tech demo.

MIGHTY FACTS! CRYOSPHERE!
For all the flak this game got and deserves, I think all the character designs are really creative and fun, and reading about them was probably the best part of the kickstarter. Its one of the few things this game does better then megaman and all its thing + man designs.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago Image
Well,
what else could be said after this post
i'm DYING
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Cryo's English voice just embellishes the ice puns throughout her fight and when you see her again. I don't remember the cat noises, but she totally does the "Pew, pew, pew!" deal.

She's one of the tougher ones to fight because anytime you get frozen, she'll immediately go for that spike ball ice drop. In the early portions, it's smaller, but that bigger one will deal some damage. I don't think that one's instant kill. It just hurts a ton. Honestly, my least favorite attack is that bouncing ball she uses when she mixes it up with those normal shots since it's less predictable than every other attack she has. Pyrogen's form is her weakness and can destroy her little ice tower in one shot. It causes her to lose balance, fall, and let you go to town for a bit.

Forms themselves should get a little use just to see how they work. Most are simplistic, but a couple are different from what you'd expect.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Cryo really bothers me visually. I'll ignore the nozzle head and binky in mouth. In particular her water pack, It's just that horribly bright, featureless blue sphere.

Remember folks we are in this for historical value! Image

We only play the most important and historical of the megamans!
Like Megaman Battlenetwork WS!

Any games that happen to fun in this exercise are completely incidental side-effects.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

honestly i know chirei has a huge hateboner for this game

but I kind of want to play it, it looks fun
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago why does everything in this game look so bad. The water effects look like something ripped straight from a ps2 tech demo.
I'm still pissed about the 2d promo image
this is the image that got me, and I'm sure many other people, hyped up about the game enough to back it.
we were all expecting some good HD 2d graphics.
what we got instead was ugly bad plastic-y 3d with bad texture work.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Since raocow was curious, here's Pyro in English, from LoadingReadyRun's stream of MN9

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago honestly i know chirei has a huge hateboner for this game

but I kind of want to play it, it looks fun
You might not after raocow plays stage 4.

This, along with stage 3 (next) are the ones I see most referenced in videos to show some of the worst things about this game.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I think Cryo's French voice is really cute, even the little "pew pew pew" noises and meows(?) Although maybe someone who actually speaks the language might think differently.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Still a tad miffed Dynatron wasn't named Electra.

I mean, come on, it's so obvious!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

...what was wrong with this stage, that it gets referenced negatively?
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago ...what was wrong with this stage, that it gets referenced negatively?
Specifically, this:

NO WHERE ELSE IN THE GAME do you ever use a manual crouch dash. Low gaps in walls you crouch dash automatically under, and it is only done for this one single part. On top of that, it's not a very generous window to dash, as you have to almost be touching the blades to do it. They could just have not had these segments at all. or raised the buzzsaws just a bit to make a normal dash work.

This is about two screens out of the whole thing, but it really shows how little they knew what they were doing. The rest of the stage is totally bland by megaman standards. What was even the level's gimmick? The lights sometimes go out and these buzzsaws? Elec Man had a more electrifying stage than this.

The stage coming up next is going to turn up everything wrong with this segment up to 11. raocow better mentally prepare for how awful this is going to be.
Crow

Post by Crow »

it's more engaging level design than literally any X game after 3, shrug
i don't think "one screen is kinda bad" is much justification for the entire level being bad
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Fact: Dynatron's ultimate attack is actually shared with a boss from Azure Striker Gunvolt 2!

MIGHTY FACTS! DYNATRON

Mighty No. 3, Dynatron, is the third robot in Dr. White's mighty robot line. She is one of the two female Mighty Numbers, along with Cryosphere, and is the boss of the Power Plant, having invaded it to gorge on the electricity produced within. She is 191cm/6ft 3 inches tall, and weighs 91kg/201lbs.

Dynatron is a hot-tempered, impatient robot who becomes particularly irate if she is stopped from feeding on the electricity she craves. However, she doesn't seem to relish combat, surprising in a robot built for battle. She voices all of her sibilants (pronouncing s sounds like z sounds) and draws them out to make them sound like crackling electricity.

Development

Both Dynatron and Mighty No. 8 were meant to be female. While No. 8 changed, Dynatron's gender was kept. The development team started by mixing up possible attacks, placing lightning rods around the arena and on the character. The Development team combined the Japanese god of thunder, Raijin, with everyday appliances, like power cables, outlets, and lamps. Inafune asked the team to make her scarier, hide her hands more, and to slim her legs down, so she looks like she's floating. Kimo Kimo reworked the design and gave her the yellow/black cloak. At first she made her hands little drums and electrodes, before Inafune chose to give her actual hands, which were later made into claws attached to coils. The cloak was reworked to let her open it, creating the final design.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago Fun Fact: Dynatron's ultimate attack is actually shared with a boss from Azure Striker Gunvolt 2!

MIGHTY FACTS! DYNATRON
the kickstarter update that showed off her concept designs if anyone wants to see them for themselves.

Some of her concept art had her using the projectiles to re-direct or ricochet the electricty at beck, but in the end they settled for it just generating a line between her and the projectiles, though "dragging" the beams along with her is neat visually.