(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mea

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Reboot

Post by Mea »

I'm a few days late to commenting on ZXA, but I've finally finished binge watching over 100 episodes in the background to catch up on this series. I'm now suddenly sad after all these years that the ZX story was never concluded in a third installment, I want closure on these characters. I bought and played ZXA back when it was on the shelves as a kid and I remember not liking it much at all. The idea of playing as the bosses was lame to me. I don't know what else rubbed me the wrong way, since the game actually looks pretty alright. It's unfortunate that it was received so poorly, even by me myself at the time. Wonder what went wrong. I hope a third ZX game does come up in the future, I have hopes that Inti Creates, who are doing pretty alright for themselves it seems, can bring it about somehow.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

freshtalk wrote: Hornet Chaser can collect items for you, if you didn't know that, even ones through walls if I recall correctly.
No, you have to morph into Argoyle for that!

I like that someone on YT immediately went WELL THIS STAGE LOOKS EASY, completely ignoring that raocow knows exactly how to deal with the party blower gimmick (it's actually pretty tight, and the room with the shears over spikes can be super difficult if you're not used to it already), is excellent at modulating his jump height (which you need to do to hit the flower miniboss well and to take out all the hornet in the boss fight super quickly - I suck at that) and that ultimately, as he said, some of the stages ARE going to be easier than others.

Anyway, they're gonna have fun with tomorrow's garbage I guess.

As raocow was correctly disappointed about, MM9 does not have L/R weapon quick select, which is a completely baffling decision. Unless, of course, you're pathologically married to the concept of RETRO AT ANY PRICE, in this case "quality of life advancements immediately and obviously adapted as soon as shoulder buttons were developed". One of the things MM10 will actually fix, just putting that out there already!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Mea wrote: 5 years agoIt's unfortunate that it was received so poorly, even by me myself at the time. Wonder what went wrong.
It has good enough reviews, just didn't sell well.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

First of all, in case no one else mentioned it yet, those black bars on the side of the screen are just part of the game. I have no idea why, it was also like that when I played it on Wii VC. It seems like they hardcoded their faux-NES engine to be slightly less wide than fullscreen, but then all the consoles they put it on output at 4:3 or 16:9 and they had to add black bars to make it work. That's just conjecture though.

Hornet Man's stage is another one of my favorites (I'm also realizing I might have a lot of favorite stages in this game). It's really fun to run through and shoot half the scissors as they appear on screen, which can require some pretty precise shots. And it also combines that mechanic with the party whistle things (garden hoses?) that force you to continue moving forward.

At 5:12 we saw a trick they do on more than one occasion in the game, where they take advantage of how sprites respawn in the game. You'll end up killing that potted plant as you enter the screen, but then the game baits you to climb up the ladder and go back a bit to get the screws, but this makes that plant enemy respawn.

This is only a spoiler if you're worried about boss weaknesses, which I'm not sure if we are since raocow plays buster only anyway, but I'll put it in spoilers regardless.

Something I like about the Hornet Man boss fight in particular is his attack pattern is actually a hint for his weakness. The hornets come out in a PERFECT formation to be dealt with via the Magma Bazooka since it shoots in 3 directions. So if you already have that weapon, you're likely to see that formation and think "hey, there's 3 of them vertically stacked one above the other, and I have a weapon that shoots like that." And it does end up dealing with them perfectly, and you can use your shot that killed the hornets to start a charge which you can then release on Hornet Man himself. I really like how that works!

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago As raocow was correctly disappointed about, MM9 does not have L/R weapon quick select, which is a completely baffling decision. Unless, of course, you're pathologically married to the concept of RETRO AT ANY PRICE, in this case "quality of life advancements immediately and obviously adapted as soon as shoulder buttons were developed". One of the things MM10 will actually fix, just putting that out there already!
I think this has something to do with the fact that it was originally going to be a WiiWare exclusive, and the Wiimote didn't have L/R buttons. In MM10 they ended up mapping real-time weapon switching to A/B which was kinda awkward since pressing A required taking your thumb off the D-pad. So I guess it's not a perfect excuse, but that would be my guess for why that feature is absent.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago
freshtalk wrote: Hornet Chaser can collect items for you, if you didn't know that, even ones through walls if I recall correctly.
No, you have to morph into Argoyle for that!

I like that someone on YT immediately went WELL THIS STAGE LOOKS EASY, completely ignoring that raocow knows exactly how to deal with the party blower gimmick (it's actually pretty tight, and the room with the shears over spikes can be super difficult if you're not used to it already), is excellent at modulating his jump height (which you need to do to hit the flower miniboss well and to take out all the hornet in the boss fight super quickly - I suck at that) and that ultimately, as he said, some of the stages ARE going to be easier than others.

Anyway, they're gonna have fun with tomorrow's garbage I guess.

As raocow was correctly disappointed about, MM9 does not have L/R weapon quick select, which is a completely baffling decision. Unless, of course, you're pathologically married to the concept of RETRO AT ANY PRICE, in this case "quality of life advancements immediately and obviously adapted as soon as shoulder buttons were developed". One of the things MM10 will actually fix, just putting that out there already!
The irony is that while MM9 is RETRO AT ANY COST, it's a better overall game than 10.

Not to say 10 was bad, I just preferred 9 to 10.

And 11 to either one.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

An image is worth 1024 QWords.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Wily is being given an immense amount of public trust for someone who started his career of terrorizing said public by stealing and reprogramming Dr Light's robots.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Hornet Man's stage is pretty easy outside of that part with the snail platforms over the spikes. One wrong move or being too slow on your jump, and that's that. Was never a fan of that bit.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago The irony is that while MM9 is RETRO AT ANY COST, it's a better overall game than 10.

Not to say 10 was bad, I just preferred 9 to 10.

And 11 to either one.
10 is just not very fun. Having the shoulder buttons do something doesn't save its level design. And Mega still can't slide or charge.
kitikami wrote: Wily is being given an immense amount of public trust for someone who started his career of terrorizing said public by stealing and reprogramming Dr Light's robots.
The entire Classic series plot depends on literally everyone being dumber than Gutsman's Ass, they really nailed that retro aesthetic again
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ashan, is Megaman 9 Wii VC or Wiiware? Make up your mind!
(It's Wiiware)

But on that topic, it's a shame you can't download 9 and 10 anymore. with the Wii Shop Channel's closure. They didn't even bother to release it on the Wii U eshop.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's why they released the Legacy Collection 2. It did pretty well, too. In fact, a lot of the recent Mega Mans here have been getting close to that million copies sold mark again.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

It was requested in the video to post info about hornets, bees, and honey somewhere. As requested,
Bee-mongerer.

Regarding specifications of animals. Order is the broadest classification here and species is the smallest
Order > Family > Genus > Species
All of the above are insects in the Order Hymenoptera, which is latin for membranous-wing.

Hornets are in the Family Vespidae wasps. Specifically the genus for hornets is Vespa. There are 22 species and they are the largest wasps in their family. They are Eusocial often with a single egg-laying queen, omnivorous, and big.
They don't make honey but they still eat pollen and nectar.

Bee is a paraphyletic term and there are many species both solitary and eusocial. Bee's are in the family Apidae, which includes European honey bees (Apis mellifera), Bumble bees(Bombus), Carpenter bees(Xylocopa), stingless bees (Meliponini) and cuckoo bees (Nomadinae). Not all species that are called "bees" are apidae. The Blue Orchard bee (Osmia lignaria) is a Mason bee in the family Megachilidae and is used throughout the U.S and Canada for pollination.

Humans have been eating honey since our dawn. But it's estimated that humans domesticated Apis honey bees around 10,000 years ago. Egyptian depictions dated to 2500BCE suggest that bee keeping was pretty firmly established in society.

All honey bee species are old world species and are not native to the continent of America. It's believed that around the time of 1621A.D that the European honey bee was introduced to the continent in straw skeps. The honey bee is an exotic species.

Honey bees are not the only bees to store honey, Bumble bees and Stingless bees (Meliponini) both produce honey.
The former does not store much honey. Stingless bees are used occasionally in South America for the production of fragrant honeys.

Modern beekeeping's biggest goal however is not honey production, it is to pollinate crops. Without pollination, crops fail to bear fruit.

Take away: Bees and hornets both often have a single breeding queen. Hornets like meats and sweets. There are alot of bee species. Honey bees are native to the eurasian continent, and ancient humans enjoyed their honey too.

Source: https://www.evacranetrust.org/uploads/d ... d4da5c.pdf
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Rabbit

Post by Awoo »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago...Gutsman's Ass
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I enjoy it when you give one of these videos a title that only tangentially uses the key word. It just reinforces how ridiculous the title gimmick is.

Also, while it doesn't matter much with the autosaves, you can save after a Game Over. However, in-game saves won't preserve progress in the Wily stages, so you should just use the autosaves when you get there.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Man, you creamed Plug Man. I'm godawful at his fight, and expected far more of a struggle. Good job!

Jewel Satellite completely destroys the enemy-based difficulty of this level. You can just put it on for an entire screen and nothing can touch you, it won't get destroyed because all the enemies die instantly to it, and you keep getting weapon energy from the Tellies so you never run out. Yes, it also destroys the sparkies. It really is a godsend for those awkward "trapped in a corner" situation and should be remembered, maybe.

Can't help against Yokus, of course. Obviously, this is my least favourite stage of the 8.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! PLUG MAN

"What's your favorite anime?"

Plug Man (プラグマン Puragu Man) is a Robot Master that Dr. Light created to run quality control in a television factory, strictly inspecting each unit. He is obsessed with gadgets and loves to browse through electronic stores like those in Akihabara and talking with his friends about geeky subjects. His Special Weapon is the Plug Ball.

Plug Man will jump around trying to jump on Mega Man or Proto Man. At times, he will shoot Plug Balls at Mega Man that will run on the ceiling. Once he is under the ball, it will drop toward him.

His weakness is the Jewel Satellite, which will deflect all Plug Balls launched.

Plug Man appeared in the Archie Mega Man comics before the adaptation of his game in the Worlds Collide crossover event. In it, he joined a massive Robot Master army that did battle with Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog as well as their allies. During a fight with Knuckles, Plug Man was knocked into Spark Man and Bright Man, shocking and destroying all three.

Trivia
Plug Man is called Plasma Man (プラズママン) and Plasman (プラズマン) in his concept arts. His weapon would've been called Plasma Ball and he had the appearance of a plasma globe. The name "Plasman" was also used in previous concept arts of characters from Mega Man 2 and 3, but none of them resembled Plug Man.
Plug Man is one of two Robot Masters in Mega Man 9 designed by Keiji Inafune, confirmed on Inafune's Capcom-Unity Blog.
His plug color in the artwork is black, but in battle it is purple due to color limitations.
As an electric-themed boss, Plug Man's weakness to ground/crystal weapons is similar for two other electric Mavericks who are also weak to ground/crystal weapons: Tornado Tonion and Gigabolt Man-O-War.
His Plug Ball does the second highest damage to Mega Man in the game, behind only the Laser Trident.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

You could just crop the sides off the video?

PS: raocow, if you want in-game monies, go to HornetMan's stage and stand below a flower or cactus(the set of three is probably the best. I forget.), and activate Jewel Satellite. Now you can go to work, or do some errands, is sleep.

#makingmoneyinyoursleep

#discountsunderthepier
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Damn, nice job against Plug Man. Buster dueling him is a nightmare for me.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

oop nvm
Last edited by Kilgamayan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago

IIRC Roll's head changes her sprite so she's wearing her Mega Man 8/Marvel vs. Capcom getup. This has no gameplay effects, but is the infinitely superior outfit of Roll's two outfits at this point in the franchise, so it's still worth getting.

The book changes Mega Man's sprite so he no longer wears his helmet. Again, no gameplay effects.

Pretty telling that changing Roll's look is ten times more expensive than changing Mega Man's look. Pink tax strikes again!

Was it a different item that reduces your defense?
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

This is my favorite Classic Mega Man. It's the closest to perfection they've ever gotten in the Classic series.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Wow, so while Jewel Man is one of the easier bosses that gave raocow a ton of difficulty, Plug Man is the one I'd say is the hardest and he took him out with little to no issue. Interesting.
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years agoshop items spoilers
Could we have not waited to see raocow's blind reaction instead of ruining it like this?
You're also wrong about the book of hairstyles having no gameplay effect.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Wow, so while Jewel Man is one of the easier bosses that gave raocow a ton of difficulty, Plug Man is the one I'd say is the hardest and he took him out with little to no issue. Interesting.
it's the raocow way
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Wow, so while Jewel Man is one of the easier bosses that gave raocow a ton of difficulty, Plug Man is the one I'd say is the hardest and he took him out with little to no issue. Interesting.
it's the raocow way
yeah this is incredibly on-brand
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Sorry, didn't realize those were spoilers. I figured they were mostly obvious from the in-game descriptions. I've removed them, for whatever good it does now.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image