(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Chirei

Re: Mega Man ZX Advent - The Last Mega Man

Post by Chirei »

There's something about how Grey tells off Prometheus and Pandora that is a memorable line for me. Normally he's soft-spoken and confused, but he doesn't take shit from anyone, either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Biometal Model A -

A mysterious Biometal with abilities never seen before. Its origins and source of power are completely unknown. However, you can be assured that this is true, bonafide Mega Man Power.

I won't be going over all the moves for every single thing because if you remember, you can just look them all up on the pause screen. Instead, I will just outline some specifics that that pause screen wouldn't tell you.

Buster Finish - As you saw with Buckfire, you can now execute enemies cinematically by killing them with charge shots, and it's a completely different death style than being cut in half by a bladed weapon. Try killing as many enemies as you can with charge shots and see how they bleed! :monstrosity: This isn't exclusive just to Model A, by the way.

A-Buster Differences - If you were playing as Ashe, she instead gets a laser that is exactly like the EX Skill from Zero 3. It bounces off surfaces and does slightly more damage than Grey's traditional charge shot, but Grey's is wider and is easier to hit things with. I prefer Grey's A-Buster.

Weapon Energy - Weapon Energy now naturally regenerates and is shared across all forms! It's maybe about 2 or 3 seconds for 1 line of energy, but this is intended so that you can use Model A's Homing Shot and Giga Attack a lot throughout the game.

Homing Shot - As you guessed, any applicable target that overlaps with the tracking field will have a target painted on them, and releasing the button will fire a shot that hits them without fail. The homing shot is almost as strong as a charge shot, so don't forget about this! Each shot fired from this attack costs 2 lines of weapon energy, so be careful using it against a lot of enemies as your energy will rapidly be consumed!

Giga Attack - Instead of the Overdrive system, you now get a Giga Attack button. You can ONLY charge it when your weapon energy gauge is full! Hold it to make a weird cube appear around Grey, and release it when the cube is about the size of the screen to use a powerful, invincible attack that hits every enemy a TON of times, and combos on bosses! Don't forget that this is something you can do, as this game is a fair bit harder than ZX!

- Buckfire -

Slash Dash - The glowing horns on Buckfire's head when dashing count as a bladed weapon and can cut enemies and powerups. Good luck trying to use it to cut powerups, though...

Double Tomahawk - These are a bladed weapon too. It's the only way you'll have to cut powerups for now, so don't forget this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding those checkpoints you can pay to activate - they are now the main reason to collect EC in the game. However, they are ONLY ONE WAY TELEPORTS. You cannot use them to teleport back to a transciever, and there are way way way more of these checkpoints that you will ever sanely get money, so choose wisely when activating them.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

A-Trans, you were so annoying and useless in the X games, but your redemption has come~

>Grey always sounds so confused

To be fair, it's been less than a day since he woke up from a coma with no memory whatsoever.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

When I first played this game, I got to this guy, got a Game Over, and stopped. He's pretty tough for how early in the game he is.

Really groaning at that bad stereotype dialogue, though.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

One thing I really like about this game is how the typical Metroidvania progression gatekeeping feels far more natural compared to ZX. For example, you're railroaded into getting on the train by the simple fact that going anywhere else requires wall jumping, which you don't have yet, and while there is a moment after the train where you can get to the entrance to the next area only to find that the door is locked because you haven't triggered the next cutscene and gotten the appropriate keycard yet, you'd have to fight your basic gamer instincts to just go to the nearest save point after beating a major boss and sitting through a ton of cutscenes to find that out, so it's easily forgivable. Compare that to ZX, where only occasionally do your new abilities actually tie into progression, and most of the time you're kept on the correct path with locked doors, or that one instance where the ladder to Area O is mysteriously only low enough to reach when you've selected the mission that takes place in Area O, which makes the railroading far more blatant and artificial and added to the general sense of Inti Creates hovering over you while you play, ready to slap the DS out of your hands and tell you that you're exploring wrong.
Last edited by Super Llama 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So it's not a super big issue but the sprite and menu rendering distortion is bugging me more than I thought it would. I remember someone suggested changing the emulator's renderer settings in the spotzone, have you tried that yet cowrao?

And spoilered because the topic has moved on, but a late response to the protagonist gender discussion:
Notable games and franchises with male protag/primarily male playable casts (to the best of my knowledge, also not including licensed games):
Mario, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mega Man, Sonic, Castlevania, Rayman, Star Fox, Half Life, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ace Attorney, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts, Halo, Uncharted, God of War, Bioshock, Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia, Ghosts & Goblins, Ape Escape, Read Dead Redemption, Ratchet & Clank, Professor Layton, Jak & Daxter...

Same but with female leads/playable cast:
Metroid, Tomb Raider, Portal, Bayonetta, Nier: Automata (?), Okami, Atelier, Touhou, Shantae, Skullgirls, Gurumin, Beyond Good & Evil, Lollipop Chainsaw, Clock Tower, Celeste, Aquaria, A Hat in Time, Freedom Planet, Mischief Makers, Child of Light, Copy Kitty, Wayforward's "Mighty" series, Momodora, Bunny Must Die, Rabi-Ribi, Wings of Vi...

I didn't need to leave the mainstream AAA space for that first list, but I struggled to fill out the second to a similar degree without including a bunch of niche, cult, and indie titles -- several of which I wouldn't have known about myself if it weren't for raocow and other youtubers who focus on spotlighting obscure games. And that's not even getting into the issues that many of those games have with how they portray and/or treat their protags!

Of course there's plenty of big titles and franchises with character customization, agender/ambiguous PCs, gender-balanced playable casts, and other factors to help bridge the representation gap further, but if you want another indicator of how big it still is with those things accounted for, have a look at Wikipedia's list of the best-selling franchises.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago So it's not a super big issue but the sprite and menu rendering distortion is bugging me more than I thought it would. I remember someone suggested changing the emulator's renderer settings in the spotzone, have you tried that yet cowrao?

Same but with female leads/playable cast:
Yeah that sprite distortion really looks wonky. If I feel up to it, I might look into it.

Your list is kinda wonky haha. Dog-goddesses? MN9? No FF6? No Chun-li? No Overwatch? Oof! Reaching hard.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This game's premise is so much more interestingly delivered than ZX that it's weird that they're supposed to be in the same world; Legion was barely alluded to at all previous even though they're so important.

Also, if anyone hasn't realized it yet: Albert. Thomas. Mikhail. (

Wily. Light. Cossack.

)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Your list is kinda wonky haha. Dog-goddesses?
A dog goddess is still a goddess, is she not?
MN9?
Is this in response to "Wayforward's 'Mighty' series"? Because MN9 isn't a part of that. I was talking about the games Mighty Switch Force, Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way, all made by the company behind the Shantae series and all of which have only female PCs.
No FF6?
FF6 did come to mind but I was including examples as the franchise as a whole when applicable, and I figured the Final Fantasy series' potential inclusion could be best gauged based on the male and female Warriors of Cosmos that are the main protagonists of their respective games in the Dissidia games. I'm not up-to-date with that subseries but going from memory of the first game, my understanding of 012's roster and my general knowledge of the main numbered entries, that'd mostly be Terra, Lightning and I guess Shantotto? I would've considered FF gender-netural at best, a male example at worst, but with that room for doubt I leaned toward neutral.
No Chun-li?
My understanding is that Chun-li is the main female fighter in the series but Ryu's considered the MC of Street Fighter. And idk the gender ratio of that series so like FF I left that franchise out of both lists.
No Overwatch?
I'll give you this one. Never played Overwatch myself, haven't kept up with the new characters or anything but I do recall Tracer being the character I saw primarily associated with the game for a while.

In the process of responding to these individual examples I thought of another female example: Mirror's Edge. But I was also reminded of Max Payne, Hitman, Deus Ex, Devil May Cry, Doom, Yakuza, and The Witcher as male examples.
Oof! Reaching hard.
Please feel free to correct me on any misconceptions I have about Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, or any other series I've mentioned/listed that you take issue with my reasoning for. I'd also appreciate it if you can think of more high-profile games and franchises that 1) have a girl or woman as the playable mascot/"face" of the game, or 2) if there's no clear single main/default PC, a majority female playable cast. That list was my genuine effort to come up with as many good examples of that criteria as I could.

But if we're going to continue arguing this matter, let's take it to DM. As I said in the original post, I spoilered all of that stuff because this thread had moved on from the subject by the time I posted it.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

re: any possible image distortion: this is what I see while I play, I've tried everything. Things like portraits look pristine. I don't know what to say.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

okay, the newest suggestion from yt might have fixed it
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

wonder if it's a desmume emulation issue/bug?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow

Post by raocow »

zxa might be using the 3D renderer to display sprites in some way, and that's the one thing I haven't really tooled around with since the problem was, like, sprites. That could explain why the portrait art and the cutscene videos where fine but the sprites themselves wobbly. I guess ? Anyway I give it a try and Item now says Item.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

At first I was wondering if Model A meant they had made a biometal based on Aile and that was what people meant by Grey being the continuation of her canon, but then it started talking and nope, that's pretty clearly Axl and not Aile.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

It's weird that the only real thing that Model A actually has in common with Axl abilitywise is an upgraded A-Trans.

You get two buster guns, but you can't even fire them simultaneously like Model F. They also shoot standard issue lemons, and in Ashe's case, bigger lemons that have star wars laser sound effects.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Axl's only real ability IS the A-Trans, though. He does have the hover jets, but that's not something necessarily intrinsic to Axl, much like "being able to dash" is a skill limited to either X, Zero or in fact Axl. His other superpower is "pick up and use various guns", and everybody can do that (including Zero in his own series).

About A-Trans in general, I think it's an absolutely amazing idea to let you play as the bosses, and it's both crazy that it took the series so long to implement it, and sad that it didn't become a staple of at least one longer-standing spinoff series.

As this is the first (and only) time, it could of course also be done better in many ways, but its inclusion alone is already pretty awesome. In many ways, it feels like they went all-out with it ALREADY as well, for better or worse - we're gonna see what I mean!

One other thing, why not speak about this early: ZXA has built-in challenges to kill bosses in a certain way, this will earn you bronze, silver and gold trophies, so yes, three each for each boss with a challenge attached. These range from "kill boss only with the buster" over "kill boss using only the form of another boss" to crazy nonsense like "attack boss using only charge attacks and yes that means waiting for the weapon energy gauge to fill up slowly while you dodge". I had a LOT of fun even trying to figure out how to approach some of that, but it might be a little too much for the LP. So I'm not saying "raocow should totally do that", but I want to point out their existence.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoAs this is the first (and only) time
Command Mission let you turn into a boss for an attack, so not quite.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Grounder wrote: Command Mission let you turn into a boss for an attack, so not quite.
I hope that if a new X game comes out with Axl, they will let him do at least this.

The new generation reploids were able to copy more than just humansized targets, so logically he should have the ability too.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago It's weird that the only real thing that Model A actually has in common with Axl abilitywise is an upgraded A-Trans.
The homing shot is the spiritual successor to Axl's gun that can shoot in any direction(in x8, where X cannot do that). The idea carried forward is "easy to hit targets with, but weaker".

The reason they don't let it actually just shoot in any direction is because then model F would be redundant. And also the lockon lasers are cooler. crimzon clover baby

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow, has anybody mentioned maybe an extra mode you might want to play? I think you need to beat the game more than once to unlock it, but I have a save. Would you be interested in playing it?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I have no theard anything about an extra mode, no :O
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

If this Extra Mode is refering to
the Mega Man a minigame
, I recall it unlocking after beating the game just once, so I think it would be wisest to save for after the final boss?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. You have to play through the whole main game normally for what is being talked about anyway.

Terrible stereotyping for Buckfire there. Completely forgot about that. Oh well. The one thing I miss about ZX Advent compared to the original is that the boss fights don't have that avoid their weak spots deal normally if you can or just beat them however style this time. No matter what, you get their forms at full power. Guess that's better than having to pay nearly a couple grand a pop to use them at full power though, but I wish there was some incentive to always avoid them.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

That's weird, I thought I played that without beating the game. Then again my memories of this game are so extremely vague that I could see it possible that I just forgot that I beat it.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Hey, guess what the boss's special move is? It's the TIME BOMB! (boss does not actually have time powers)

PSEUDOROID FACTS!

Chronoforce the Xiphosuroid, known in Japan as Chronophos the Tridenroid (クロノフォス・ザ・トリデンロイド Kuronofosu za Toridenroido), is an ice-element Pseudoroid that resembles a horseshoe crab.

Chronoforce is based on horseshoe crabs and other members of the Xiphosura order. His body is deep blue with details in white and gold along with green lights. His top half is a sturdy round shell which protects him from any damage; when Chronoforce's form is copied via A-Trans, it even protects the player from spikes. The shell has a hatch that can release small Mechaniloids to aid Chronoforce in battle. The sides have rectangular openings which can produce Ice Needles, and the back has an ice tail which he rotates for propulsion. The underside of Chronoforce's shell has his head and torso, with three pairs of articulated fins as appendages. The front fins can also produce ice.

Chronoforce appears in the Arctic Ice Floe, meeting the Mega Man Model A after the Chosen One is thrown into the bottom of a frozen lake by Atlas. He calls the Mega Man a "lowlife commoner" and attacks in an attempt to take Model A, but he is defeated and his data is copied by Model A's A-Trans.

Though he has the ability to freeze water, Chronoforce was actually designed for electronic warfare. His true power is the ability to disrupt sensory circuitry, giving the target the sensation of temporal acceleration and deceleration, able to disrupt the internal clocks of any machine around him. He relishes using this ability in battle to gain an edge over his opponents, or just whenever he feels like it. Sometimes he will follow cargo ships when not on a mission, and constantly use Time Bomb just for his own amusement.

His abilities are few when copied by Biometal Model A's A-Trans: he can shoot a single icicle, slow down time, and swim and dash underwater. However, Chronoforce's form is strictly designed for underwater activity; if the player transforms on dry land, they'll be immobile, only able to wiggle piteously, and use the Time Bomb.

Attacks

Miniforces: Chronoforce retreats offscreen and burrows his lower half under the ground. The hatch of his shell opens, releasing four miniatures of the Pseudoroid that dive in the player's direction as he travels the ground.
Water Dash: Chronoforce rotates his tail and rushes forward at high speed.
Ice Needles: Chronoforce aligns himself with the player's position and produces two ice needles, which are projected toward the player at the same time he swims forward.
Time Bomb: Chronoforce vanishes and appears in the background facing the viewer; He rotates his ice tail in a manner reminiscent of a clock's hand a number of times, increasing his speed relative to the player.
Temporal Stalactites: Chronoforce retreats off-screen and reappears in the background. He shoots the ice spikes on his sides in a clockwise or counter-clockwise manner, which aim at the player from all angles. He then spins his ice tail, causing the spikes to return as if he is turning back time.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

WHO DARES TO TRY AND STEAL THE TIME BOMB?!?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage