(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Man I don't like the Guts Man music remix. I mean, it was never really a masterpiece of a song but they did something weird to it.
Did they change it from a minor key to major or something?
Actually yes, but that's not the only thing. The original track was in G minor, which is a fairly common key and has two flats, but this one is transposed into F sharp major, which, having a total of six sharps is not only unusual, but also very different in overall feel.
On top of that, it might also feel off because despite G minor being a semitone higher than F sharp major, the first emphasized note that's played is the third one in the diatonic scale, which is lowered a semitone in minor as compared to major, meaning that note evens out to being the exact same pitch tonally between the original and the remix.

If you're familiar with the original track, you'd hear the first note being the same, and have the expectation that the rest of the piece will also be the same. But nope, it descends to a base note that's lower than you'd expect, kind of like taking one extra step when walking down a flight of stairs and smashing your foot into the floor.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

since each playable Robot Master is obviously locked to their own weapon, each of them has a second ability when playing as them which I will list as follows:

Cutman:

can wall-jump, except from ice.

Gutsman:

can summon Super Arm blocks from anywhere, as long as he's standing on solid ground. can also break blocks of clodded dirt.

Iceman:

his shots, while weak, can freeze enemies in place, and you can use them like platforms.

Bombman:

can throw his bombs at various angles, in addition to like how Megaman throws them, he can throw them further or higher, and even drop them in front of them. his bombs also explode on enemy contact.

Fireman:

immune to magma jets and burning oil patches, which will also restore his long-range attack should he lose it by getting wet. can also melt through blocks of snow, but only if his head is lit.

Elecman:

immune to electric jets. can also operate purple "Elec blocks" with the Thunder Beam.

Timeman:

can charge his attack to use Time Slow. can also destroy clock blocks.

Oilman:

doesn't slip on oil patches. can also control the speed of his Oil Slider.

other unlockable playable characters (well, the ones that aren't unlocked via. patch i.e. Roll and her reskins)

Megaman S

(the 'S' is for 'Slide', essentially MM3 Megaman)
unlocked by beating the 8 Robot Masters as Megaman on Easy.

Megaman C

(the 'C' is for 'Charge', essentially Megaman after MM3, which means this one can also slide)
unlocked by beating the 8 Robot Masters as Megaman on Normal.

Rock (I refuse to simply call him 'Mega')

his only attack is simply kicking things. this also happens to be a weakness of Wily Machine 1's first form.
unlocked by beating the 8 Robot Masters as Megaman on Hard.

Protoman

jumps twice as high and takes twice as much damage. deploys his shield when standing still, but will drop it when hit (can be picked up again). his shots are as powerful as a charged Mega Buster.
unlocked by beating all 100 challenges in Challenge Mode.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

rao you didnt do one challenge a pop for shovel knight and you dont need to do it for powered up either

this is a false dilemma
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah how about one row of challenges per video
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The first 90 challenges are divided into ten for each character, and short enough that you can probably fit all of a character's challenges into one video (that's what Roahm did).

The final set of ten challenges are boss rushes. It's pretty repetitive because you have, essentially, one set of challenges for Robot Masters, one set for fortress bosses, one set for both sets of bosses combined, and then you fight those on multiple difficulty levels with no other changes. I would suggest just previewing the description for those and maybe doing a Normal difficulty one to show off how the bosses are different, since you're doing a Hard run through the actual game.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

man, the difficulty of this level and Gutsman's level is like night and day.

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! BOMB MAN!
"Idiot! Bombs aren't toys! Timing it right, lighting the fuse -- that's the stuff you gotta leave to pros!"

Bomb Man (ボンバーマン Bonbāman, lit. "Bomberman") is a Robot Master created by Doctor Thomas Light for demolition and land development working in tandem with Guts Man, blasting away debris so that land could be cleared for construction projects. Bomb Man's and Fire Man's development began at the same time, and despite Rock's fears that creating the pair in close proximity could be dangerous, Dr. Light went on, believing that Ice Man could handle things if anything happened. A few flash fires did occur, but put themselves out, as Ice Man ran away from the heat. His Special Weapon is the Hyper Bomb -- very powerful explosives originally used for land reclamation and destroying abandoned buildings.

Bomb Man's personality is much like that of a punk teenager. He enjoys fighting and is an expert in demolitions, being able to quickly create and throw Hyper Bombs with startling accuracy, capable of destroying most targets with ease. However, he also enjoys firework displays, festivals, and ten-pin bowling. He is also a daredevil (but severely dislikes such behaviour around bombs), but he can be a bit wasteful on money and his bombs and has a dislike of lighters and matches, since they remind him of his weakness, Fire Storm.

Bomb Man fights in a similar way he did in the original game. During the fight, if he says, "That's a bit harsh," that means he will throw a big bomb directly at the player's character. If he says "I'll show you," that means he is going to throw a big bomb; however, it will bounce across the room rather than explode upon direct contact. To dodge the directed throw bomb, just get out of the way when Bomb Man throws it. To dodge the bouncing bomb, just run under it when it is high in the air. In normal mode, he starts using the huge bomb after losing half of his energy. In hard mode, Bomb Man throws two Hyper Bombs at the same time and the large bomb attack is available from the beginning of the battle. He is weak to Cut Man's Rolling Cutter.

Trivia
Bomb Man's Japanese name is literally translated as "Bomberman", though he is still commonly referred to as "Bomb Man" in Japan. Mega Man's Soccer is the only instance of Bomb Man being referred to as "Bomberman" within a game.
A mass produced enemy based on Bomb Man was designed for the first game to go along with Sniper Joe, a mass produced model who's based on Proto Man.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I don't think the challenges are very long, so you can definitely do more than one a video. Just treat it like one of those platformer puzzle game where you stop after you feel like you've done however many segments you have time for.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Yeah, I think the best way to take the challenges would be to like, take the SMW first video approach and just do as many as you feel like. Some of them probably will take their own video from my own memory, but that's definitely a minority.

... then again, you might not want to trust my memory after all, since I could've sworn the highest points in Bomb Man's level had recreations of his NES background
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Yeah, you can and should definitely make an exception of the challenges and just do as many as you feel like fitting into one video.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

look, i know you really want to do the dumb thing and mak them one per video, but just this once, Don't
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Something tells me people want raocow to do more than one challenge mission per video when he gets to them.

...It might be the half-a-page of people saying "hey raocow do more than one challenge mission per video when you get to them"
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago Something tells me people want raocow to do more than one challenge mission per video when he gets to them.

...It might be the half-a-page of people saying "hey raocow do more than one challenge mission per video when you get to them"
I looked up some of the challenges just to refresh my memory on what they are, and I saw someone just casually do one in 25 seconds.

25 second videos YEAH!!!!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If you're thinking about doing the Challenges, I'm just going to warn you now that those also get tough... and the last set is pretty tedious. I don't know if it's worth a full run, but giving each character a spin wouldn't be the worst idea ever.

As for Bomb Man, his tell on how he tosses the big bomb comes down to what he says. "I'll show you!" means you'll get the bouncing version. "That's a bit harsh." is the right in your face and explode version where you want to stay away and either jump to bait the attack or run at Bomb Man as he's tossing it. And of course in normal mode, he only has one bomb per toss instead of two in hard here. Pretty simple level overall.

Good job dealing with those Flying Shell enemies since they only open up to fire when they're right in your face on this difficulty. It's easy to not have the timing down right, but you just handled it like it was second nature to you.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

New Recored
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Is is just me or does this game just... look like hot garbage?
i'm not even talking about the Funk Pop art style, just the tiles themselves. It looks like a SMW romhack with horribly mismatched tilesets from different games. I get that they did this for the sake of the level editor, but they still could have arranged the tiles in aestethically pleasing ways instead of... this.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

funko pops are way worse than this
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

if youre that dead set on not changing the format dont bother

heres bean playing them all i guess

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I mean, the format already changed briefly in the arcade games where you treated the robot masters essentially as refights, maybe you could bend the rules a little again for the sake of the challenges? :P

It's no big deal either way. I've found several of them pretty fun so far, though, myself. Some of them are like 10 seconds, tho.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

rao you didn't even finish talking about the reason why you wanted to do them all as separate videos you got sidetracked :(
i hope the X challenges aren't gonna be done this way though, if you're also doing those
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's interesting that they kept the points system around in this game. It's supposed to be a modern reimagining of Mega Man 1, made to be more in-line with the later games, and they even went out of their way to add 2 more robot masters just to keep it conforming with the 8 that was standard from MM2 onward, but they kept the useless points system around? If this game was successful and they made a Powered Up 2 and beyond, would those systems have a points system as well? Or would the first game once again just be the weird black sheep for having a points system?

It's also interesting they didn't make the annoying random platforms not... Annoying and random...
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
It's also interesting they didn't make the annoying random platforms not... Annoying and random...
Actually they did but hard mode makes them random again.

Hooray?

Edit: no wait, hadn't watched the video yet. I was thinking of the Footholders in that regard.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I am talking about the footholders (had to look up that name)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

To clarify I still hadn't watched the video but I had seen what stage it was and thought you might have meant something else.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

ROBOT MASTER FACTS! ELEC MAN!
"Ha! Get ready for some truly en-lightning shock therapy!"

Elec Man (エレキマン Erekiman) is a Robot Master created by Dr. Light to control the voltage of nuclear power plants. At the time of his creation, Elec Man was often hailed as Dr. Light's greatest creation and boasts razor-sharp judgement, as well as a physical agility that would not be matched until the creation of Quick Man, who is based on his design. His Special Weapon, the Thunder Beam, fires off devastating bolts of very high-voltage electrical energy in multiple directions, with sufficient power to even break through solid rocks.

In terms of personality, Elec Man is conceited and egotistical, with something of a sadistic streak in him (which is exacerbated while under Wily's control), but is otherwise very responsible, smart and competent. In his spare time, he has taken up playing the electric guitar while singing. He also despises products made of rubber. He also has a bit of a morbid side in the heat of the moment, as he seems to be genuinely interested in electrocuting the other Robot Masters, and finish his opponents off at "lightning speed".

Elec Man inherits the same attacks from the first game, but they are slightly slower and notably weaker. The lair on which he is fought also changes in appearance, as one of the Guts Blocks on the left side is now positioned on the right side of his lair (this is carried over to Old Style Mode).

In Normal and Hard modes, he also gains a new attack: the Thunder Bolt, consisting a lightning striking the screen, trying to hit the player's character where he is standing. Its hitbox is rather small, however, so it is easily avoided by rapidly moving out of its way as it lands. He only does this attack in Normal mode if he reaches half health, but he can do this whenever he wants in Hard mode, as well as doing it three times in succession.

TRIVIA

Elec Man is Keiji Inafune's favorite Robot Master from the first game, because he was the first robot he ever designed.

Elec Man bears a resemblance to the 1973 Kyodai Hero character Thunder Mask. Both are robots who use electricity in their abilities as well.
In Mega Man Powered Up, many of Elec Man's poses are references to tokusatsu shows.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I am talking about the footholders (had to look up that name)
Iirc, they actually have multiple routes they can take on non-hard difficulties, and you can use all of them in the level editor.