(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mega Man X8 - An Epic of an Ending

Post by ano0maly »

Shard1697 wrote: 5 years ago
ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago He can insist all he wants but his words ring hollow.
Right, that's the point. That's why Zero isn't swayed at all, and does not hesitate.
Yeah but it's not like Weil was pleading with Zero to spare him, he was being a laughing maniac about it. He's a doctor with an advanced brain with digitized memory, so he would know it wouldn't convince Zero. So why bother with this pointless insistence?
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

poofing in to say that cannonball is indeed a fantastic track

definitely not because it's the only Zero track i know/remember

not at all
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago Yeah but it's not like Weil was pleading with Zero to spare him, he was being a laughing maniac about it. He's a doctor with an advanced brain with digitized memory, so he would know it wouldn't convince Zero. So why bother with this pointless insistence?
To a large degree for personal reasons, I'd imagine. Being human is a point of pride to him, and very central to his identity. He never trusted reploids, presumably blaming them for all the damage to the planet over the course of the X series, leaving the planet in the condition it's in in the Zero series (and he's not entirely wrong on that particular point, as Gate himself acknowledges in X6), to the point where he considered enslaving their will to his own to be the only way to assure they would never be a danger again (and this after a cure for the Maverick virus was found). So presumably, the less human and more mechanical he physically becomes, the more important it becomes to him psychologically to assert his humanity and distinguish himself from the reploids.

Furthermore, I think he just enjoys taunting former-ace-Maverick hunter Zero by reminding him that by attacking a human, Zero would by the standards of his own previous organization be declared a Maverick. 'Cause he's just that kind of guy.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Oh hey, a game I can actually comment on for the first time in a while in this series.
I didn't play this game until a few weeks ago when I finally decided to go back to MMX Legacy Collection, with X7 having completely soured my X series playthrough, causing me to quit it entirely a month or 2 prior. I think everyone is kind of in agreement with this game, that it's basically just "alright." Definitely a huge improvement from the last couple games in the series, but probably not gonna stick out for anyone.

I'm a little disappointed the cutscenes didn't work. We got a small glimpse of what I find to be the funniest line in the game at 14:39 in today's video, wherein Zero explains to his own squad that Vile used to be a class A Hunter, and now is their sworn enemy. As if they wouldn't know who their own sworn enemy is.
He may as well be looking at the camera while saying the line.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I'd certainly like to hear if anyone has the solution to the cutscene problem, because I had the exact same problem myself. The PC version of X Legacy Collection is...not good.

Also fun fact, the X's english VA in X8 (as well as Maverick Hunter X and Command Mission) is Mark Gatha, aka Domon Kasshu from G Gundam, who's sadly retired from voice acting to become a dentist.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I'm back for X8!

So this game has ups and downs, but arguably more ups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like in X7, X starts with one more charge level than what you're used to in most of the X games where he is naked. Since this is the one that breaks barriers, do not forget to charge the extra level, because it also does a lot more damage! I also believe X also starts with the Air Dash again here as well.

Zero has all his good moves back, and starts with an Air Dash and Double Jump.

Axl has Bass aiming, and if you notice the blue bullet that comes out every 5 shots, those are the ones that do more damage and can break shields.

My one complaint with this game is that everything feels really... feathery. For example, X "switched out" against the crab boss at the end because you actually took contact damage, but there's hardly any indicator for it or even a graphic to show impact. When you get killed by normal damage, you automatically switch to your partner.

Everyone now shares one Hunter Rank. So if you get a B Rank, everyone is B Rank.

I highly recommend going back and trying to fix the cutscenes, or at least show what's going on. For anyone too lazy to go look up the videos, a totally accurate summary of the plot so far is below:

Having rebuilt since the JIGGLY ZONE war, people have wished to re-establish contact with the moon. A reploid named Lumine has begun construction of a massive orbital elevator known as Jakob that will connect the Earth to the Moon, so that they may visit JIGGLY ZONE at any time. However, Sigma and mavericks attacked again to everyone's surprise, and want to take control of JIGGLY ZONE for themselves! They kidnapped Lumine and are now holding him hostage, and now the future of both worlds is in great danger.

X, Zero, and Axl, dispatch!
Super Llama

Post by Super Llama »

Just found the opening cutscene by itself, so here it is.

And Vile's intro.

FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, this game has its low points but is genuinely good.

I'm looking forward to this. I played this game years ago and found it super fun but don't remember a whole lot. Because raocow seems to be mostly the same in that regard, I'm really looking forward to seeing what things he remembers that I don't and vice-versa. :P
Super Llama

Post by Super Llama »

Doing some research, the cutscene bug might be an issue with Windows Media Player (the official bug reporting thread even asks people when listing their specs to mention whether or not their version of Windows comes with WMP.)

If so, it might be a good idea to make sure WMP is up to date, run the DirectX End-User Runtime program to make sure DirectX is up to date, and set WMP to be the default media player. Changing the in-game screen size to Type 2 via the XLC select button menu (which downscales the game window a little bit) might do something as well.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Looking at this first vid, I'm pretty sure X can air dash right from the start, his buster has to be fully charged to break a shield where you just weren't waiting long enough, and Zero's three-hit combo is only going to work when he's on the ground. That last part where you kept jumping to try and break the shield even after Alia told you how to do it got a chuckle out of me. Guess you're not used to her actually being a help in these games. Ha-ha.

As for that boss, the idea was to break his guard and fill up your special gauge for a tag attack. That was basically a tutorial fight, but I guess you were so focused on not being able to break the guard that you were ignoring the things on the ground that would fill up your meter. Shame about the cutscenes though. I know the games have an excuse plot and all, but it's always funny to see your reactions to everything.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I love how efficient this intro stage is. It forces you to play all the characters solo for a bit, gives each of them armored enemies to overcome with their own ways of doing so, introduces the tag team mechanic and the super attack, has two enemy kill rooms the game is so fond of just to show you that concept as well, and all of that while delivering you a story through gameplay with minimal (and optional) interruptions. It's also just plain awesome to chase that big boss through the entire level, being told "hey we accomplished something" along the way; it's a very neat way of showing how the three hunters work together as a team, too.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

eyyyyyyy it's the maverick hunter voices that aren't shit
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

When raocow played X7 I hadn't played it myself so I skipped those videos. Now I've actually played X7 and I'm almost done with X8, so I can actually watch and comment on these videos. While I'm talking about X7 I figure I might as well give my opinion on it. I could probably spend ages talking about it, but long story short it's taken X6's place as the worst Mega Man game I've played, except unlike X6, it's not my favourite of the X series. I feel like I could grow to like it if I played it again, heck I even found the final stage to be enjoyable, but other than that I found the stages ranged from mediocre at best to outright terrible at worst.

Anyway, time to talk about this game. It's a huge improvement from X7, though it would be hard to be worse than X7 (then again, I used to think the same thing about X6 prior to playing X7). One big improvement that's evident from the beginning is the characters. There's no longer a clunky lock on system; now X shoots straight forward, while Axl can aim in any direction and has rapid fire capabilities, which helps him not just feel like a weak version of X. Meanwhile Zero's saber actually has a good amount of range this time. Also his jump slash actually has an arc rather than being the circle slash he had in X7 that only really makes sense for the 3D sections (and even then it was hard to hit anything with it). I also like that this intro stage has you using all three of the characters so you can get a feel for how each one plays.

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

If the cutscene workarounds don't work, there's always the original PC version!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

x8 is just as good as I remember it. wow. you know other than the bad levels I'm sure but still
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

feels like it nails the pacing, from what little I've seen of it. Fluidity in check!
video games
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I just found out that if you do exactly what That One Bad Stage wants you to do, you can just completely obliterate it. I don't expect raocow to do that (at least it took me a bunch of tries and frustration until it just...clicked), but it would be super hilarious to get a two-ish minute video from it. Spoilers for level name, I guess - peep dat mission time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Decided to do a run of the first stage to show off the cutscenes here... and have an excuse to play this one again.

Then again, this will be moot if raocow fixes his cutscene issue. Ha-ha. Remembered to actually link people to your channel in the description at least instead of just mentioning you by name this time!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

So this game has unique dialogue for each character when they fight a boss, which also changes once you beat four bosses, so let's begin with ALTERNATE DIALOGUE!

Now, for GRAVITY ANTONION, the Aussie Twister of Time and Space!
Before defeating Four Mavericks

Zero

Zero: You used to be an incredible scientist, but it looks like you've gone Maverick now.

Gravity Antonion: Incredible? Maverick? What do those words even mean?

Zero: You'd have to ask someone smarter than me.

Gravity Antonion: Your honesty is matched only by your supreme foolishness. Well, at any rate, if you choose to stand in my way, I'll destroy you!

AXL

Axl: Antonion...You used to be such a genius. Have you gone insane? What are you planning?

Gravity Antonion: Insane? Ha ha. That's funny. Are you saying that you yourself are perfectly sane? Are you even sure that you're on the right side?

Axl: I'm pretty sure. It's not too hard to tell good from evil. That much I know for sure.

Gravity Antonion: Ha! I couldn't agree more! The problem here is the world we live in. But I plan to fix all that!

After defeating Four Mavericks

X

X: Did he... Did Sigma make you go Maverick?

Gravity Antonion: My master is not incorrect in his philosophy.

X: But Sigma plans to bring catastrophe to this world! He's evil!

Gravity Antonion: And the thought that it is this world that is evil has never crossed your mind? Oh, forget it... If you get in my way, I'll destroy you!

ZERO

Zero: Has Sigma made you like this? Did he force you and the others to go Maverick?

Gravity Antonion: Maverick? You actually think you can sum my master up with that word?

Zero: All I know about him is that we can’t let him get away with this or the world's in trouble.

Gravity Antonion: Your honesty is matched only by your supreme foolishness. If you can't understand our great plan, then you must be eliminated.

AXL

Axl: Antonion... Has Sigma made you go Maverick?

Gravity Antonion: You're the prototype for our new generation of Reploids. Surely, you understand.

Axl: I don't even wanna understand. Sigma is the bad guy here. PERIOD.

Gravity Antonion: Ha ha ha ha! Fool! Very well, then. I'll destroy you!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

controls are hard
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Walkspeed is so fast in this game.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

The Boss Intro and Weapon get are probably the best in the series.

Also, bosses now have a Last Word Spellcard when you get them to under 1/3rd health. It is impossible to skip it by DPS'sing them, and they are always invulnerable when using it.

Something to note when fighting bosses: ALL the characters can combo now. If you keep shooting as X, you'll find that you can follow up a charge shot with extra lemons to really slice off the boss's health. It makes X super duper good.

You may want to return to the passageway with the falling cube at some point...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare Metals Found (this session)

Green Item - Anyone can use
Blue Item - for X
Red Item - for Zero
Black Item - for Axl

Barrier Fan

A pair of metal fans that Zero can use as a powerful defensive weapon. When idle, a barrier protects Zero and deflects shots on all sides with the same parameters as his Shield Boomerang, but you don't have to hold any buttons. Short melee range.

*Note: Zero has a few of these weapons hidden in the game somewhere. Some of them even change the special techniques he gets from bosses. Try finding them all!
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago The Boss Intro and Weapon get are probably the best in the series.

Also, bosses now have a Last Word Spellcard when you get them to under 1/3rd health. It is impossible to skip it by DPS'sing them, and they are always invulnerable when using it.

Something to note when fighting bosses: ALL the characters can combo now. If you keep shooting as X, you'll find that you can follow up a charge shot with extra lemons to really slice off the boss's health. It makes X super duper good.

You may want to return to the passageway with the falling cube at some point...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare Metals Found (this session)

Green Item - Anyone can use
Blue Item - for X
Red Item - for Zero
Black Item - for Axl

Barrier Fan

A pair of metal fans that Zero can use as a powerful defensive weapon. When idle, a barrier protects Zero and deflects shots on all sides with the same parameters as his Shield Boomerang, but you don't have to hold any buttons. Short melee range.

*Note: Zero has a few of these weapons hidden in the game somewhere. Some of them even change the special techniques he gets from bosses. Try finding them all!

**Note 2: When you choose a weapon for Zero, he will ONLY be able to use that weapon for that whole visit of a stage, so make sure you like the weapon you're choosing!
what no Zero can switch his weapons whenever he wants.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago what no Zero can switch his weapons whenever he wants.
oh. there's no reason not to buy the weapons then. X8 is perfect!!!!!111
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Man, I wanted to play ahead of raocow but he goes and takes the one stage first which I haven't beaten yet. The trap room is the worst thing, I hate it so much. Feel like I have to glitch halfway through the blocks to try and get it with any consistency, and it never works out.

Guess I'll have to grind it out today so I can watch the video later :x