(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Mega Man Battle Network WS - Network Connection Found

Post by Dragon Fogel »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years ago That's actually not just the translators. The thematic relation is there in the Japanese version too. Checking the MM wiki, Dr. Froid's name in Japan is Seiji Hikawa. So you've got Enzan (炎山 = flame mountain) and Hikawa (氷川 = ice river).
I didn't realize that's what Enzan translated to (I'd heard the name before). So now I'm wondering why they gave him such a fiery name in the first place.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That was an ending, all right. I'm kind of surprised it happened so quickly.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Thought it was worth mentioning, I actually have a physical copy of this game and a WondersSwan. I haven't played through it though. The story behind obtaining the console itself was I posted my collection of the Battle Network series on Reddit and some guy literally just offered to give me his since he had 2. I think I might have just paid shipping and he sent me the thing which was cool.

Here's a little album of what a WonderSwan and game look like if you've never seen it before:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

CLOWN
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I was wondering what you'd do about showing the intro stage again. Guess that answers that question!

ColorMan didn't even use his gimmick from regular BN at all in that fight, and without it his name doesn't make much sense. Basically, he has two indestructible minions, one red one that uses fire attacks and one blue one that uses water attacks. You'd think they could at least give him attacks of those elements in this game.

On a related note, AreaGrab is a chip that's just taken out of the main Battle Network series and has an effect that really doesn't translate to a platformer at all, so they made it do something different. In the main series, you and the enemies each have your own area of the battlefield you can move on, and AreaGrab makes you steal part of the enemy's area, temporarily changing it to yours. But here you and the enemy both have free movement, so there's nothing to steal. I can sort of see how you make that into a "move faster" effect if you're really desperate to have the chip be in the game and do something, but on the other hand, why are you that desperate.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

ColorMan's design is confusing; what's actually going on is that he's sitting on a ball with his feet forward. Most of his sprites throughout the series appear to be bad about conveying this and have his feet just clip through his outfit, but Network Transmission gets it right.
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago CLOWN
You would think! But as it turns out, that goes to someone else.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Man these epic team ups with triumphant music sure don't mean as much in written form.

What a bizarre and lazy form of doing cutscenes.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I'm so glad it's the lazy games that we get to see twice. It's raocow's determined to put in the effort where the creators just couldn't be arsed.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

My favorite part was how Lan didn't even have a LongSword at the time.

PharaohMan is indeed a Solo Navi, like BombMan. They're made out to be this big huge deal in the first game and early on the animu but they're not actually special in any way from a gameplay perspective.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

In the manga, the part of the internet that looks like a desert is supposed to be, like, the internet of an ancient civilization or something
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

MMBN Terminology: A Double Program Advance is when you've got a show on later in the day that you want to watch and want to skip through two shows to get to it. This involves a lot of hot-blooded screaming and teaming up with one other person to get the job done.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago In the manga, the part of the internet that looks like a desert is supposed to be, like, the internet of an ancient civilization or something
Network Transmission will explore the Deep Internet Lore in more detail
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Thought it was worth mentioning, I actually have a physical copy of this game and a WondersSwan. I haven't played through it though. The story behind obtaining the console itself was I posted my collection of the Battle Network series on Reddit and some guy literally just offered to give me his since he had 2. I think I might have just paid shipping and he sent me the thing which was cool.

Here's a little album of what a WonderSwan and game look like if you've never seen it before:
Oh dude, I have that too. I bought it though lol, congrats on that
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago In the manga, the part of the internet that looks like a desert is supposed to be, like, the internet of an ancient civilization or something
I see, it's the ancient Egyptian internet they used for online card games.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i've never seen a video game that's such a video game before in my life

we have reached peak video game
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I don't know what she's like in the anime - though I imagine the game is not too far off the actual anime plot given what's been done so far - but in Battle Network 2, Mrs. Millions is indeed just some random super-rich old lady that you meet in the private back room of a jewelry store. She bought all of Lan's spare chips on the black market (long story) and you have to battle SnakeMan to get them back.

She gets sufficiently, uh, 'excited' by the battle that she even tips you some large amount of money for it when you win, despite the fact that she's already spent a presumably large sum of money on the chips to get them in the first place AND you have to choose the rude dialogue option to actually get her to battle you. You can, of course, rematch her as much as you like, and her dialogue from there all but explicitly states she finds NetBattling sexually stimulating. (It honestly would be more amusing than creepy if not for the fact that Lan is, like, 11.) She's at least a good sport about everything, though, and doesn't mind losing in the slightest.

Also her purse is somehow connected to the Internet, because sure. It even dumps you out as close as possible to the UnderNet, which is more or less Battle Network's 4chan equivalent except less bigoted and more unironically edgey.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Did someone say Ancient Egyptian Conveyor Belts?

You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I can't believe raocow got an elementary school student shocked through his negligence.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

why does this game have so many mario things in it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Only the extra stage left, and ostensibly the secret boss at the end of the boss rush which is not worth it.

Then I never again have to think about the fact I did all 3 runs to 100% this game.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

It looks like the special "reduced damage" hit sprite returns. Megaman actually attempts to block the attack if using the defensive Wood Shield style, but this time it makes more sense because he has a buckler on his arm, rather than X and Zero trying to block with their bare arms when Armor/Shock Buffer is equipped.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I'm actually curious as to what the Team style does in this game, because what it affected in the original games was not imported to this one.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Seeing you play this makes me want to try it out on my own time just to see how off it feels. Still wonder which WS game is better. This one has a couple of stupid moments, but it also doesn't have Aircon Man and his stage. Hmm...
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I have this game as much worse in my memory than what raocow's presenting. The previous LPers were super down on it and that coloured my expectations as well.

It's obviously not good and I think raocow himself (?) said it best when he compared it to a flash fangame you could find for free on the internet, but it's not atrocious. I think the biggest issues show themselves when you try to 100% it - the specific route you have to take for the arbitrary chip gates seems rather obnoxious to figure out - and then the chips you get from that might not even help you (see: Air Shoes' highjump killing raocow). There's also a lot of just dumb enemy placements and jumps, but again, nothing that would kill the game. Even the bosses are more on the "dumb" side than the "impossible shit" side.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, so apparently Team Style's thing in this game is mobility. Sure, why not.

That guy who taunted you in the Gospel fight is a dude in a fancy suit who only shows up during the very end of Battle Network 2. (Well, that's his only appearance in the suit, anyways.) Bass has no particular connection to Gospel, except at some point he absorbed it or something because he gets attacks in later games where he makes its head appear.

I don't know if Bass is in this game, but it wouldn't surprise me. They really like using him as a superboss.