(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Mega Man & Bass (GBA) - Not Exactly Capcom's Forte

Post by Sugar »

This "Now saving..." thing is due to this being a bad port. You see, Rockman and Forte on SNES used battery backed RAM (typical for SNES games), while Rockman and Forte on GBA used a flash memory (typical for GBA games). The major difference between those is that saving is much faster with battery backed RAM, which allows the game to casually save data whenever it wants to - it's as fast as regular RAM write which is fast. Meanwhile, saving on GBA pretty much makes the game unable to do anything else, so a pause is necessary.

I think the in-stage save system only saves CDs. Due to this, I think the game would be better of only saving when you got a CD to begin with.

On sidenote, while most of the port is pretty bad, I like the music. I mean, for what the GBA hardware is, they did a great job with it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Is the text different? Well, yes, it is, as it's a different translation, since it's an official release. So I'd recommend playing on english for that.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

yeah I'm going to echo the playing on english so we can get bass's ending goin' on. not like one stage will take long anyways
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago yeah I'm going to echo the playing on english so we can get bass's ending goin' on. not like one stage will take long anyways
Admittedly, they did make the intro stage be as tedious as possible.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Bass is fun.

The constrast between him actually being made to fight and Megaman originally being made to just be a robot to live peacefully is clear. The only thing that really stops Bass from being a killer are these pesky videogame things called boss i-frames. This means only the first hit of his rapid shot will do actual damage to a boss, which is significantly less than a charge shot.

A lot of people I know absolutely hate GBA music, but this is one case that could be said that the music is enhanced from its original version. Probably the biggest example is Cold Man's stage. It has this new kind of back-beat channel that a bunch of other songs on the GBA version may also have, and it makes it flow better. I would say between things like this, Megaman Zero, and Battle Network, Capcom/Suleputer undeniably brought the musical potential of the GBA to its absolute limit, giving us plenty of memorable tunes that are still being listened to and remixed to this very day.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

You don't know if the text's different?

You do realize you're playing as a different character with his own story right?
This Eye o' Mine

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years ago You don't know if the text's different?

You do realize you're playing as a different character with his own story right?
EDIT: On that note, I might as well try my hand at a quick interpretation. Please mind the potential awkwardness:
-Enter scene

Bass: "Protoman!"

Proto: "Stop right there King! First Dr. Wily's lab, and now a museum?"

King: "I've taken enough data about fighting robots such as yourself to create the strongest robot army in the world!!"
"Since you're a robot too, I might let you join my ranks."

"Hm? Looks like another interloper has arrived."
"I'm sure my underlings will sort the both of you out."

Proto: "Wait! King!"

King: "Silence, you!"

-Protoman fires, King jumps, Protoman gets sliced

Bass: "So that guy's King? There's only room enough on this world for one to be the strongest, and that's me!"
"I'm not gonna let him get in the way of me becoming a legend!"

-Bass runs after him, meets King and Green Devil

King: "It would be a trifling matter for me to defeat you right here, right now. However, I must prioritize the construction of my army.
"I'll let Green Devil here deal with you!"
Edit edit:
Oops, I accidentally quoted myself instead of editing. Sorry about that.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

As an additional reason for raocow to play in English - he may want to get one or more upgrades at the shop. Bass has some Bass-specific purchases, a couple of which I think may intrigue raocow. But hard for him to tell without being able to read what's for sale!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And, at last, here's Day of Sigma.

I may or may not have forgotten last night.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

The screen crunch is going to get sooooooo much worse, raocow.

_Robot Master Facts! "I'll do it until I find a treasure!"_

Ground Man is a Robot Master created by King to excavate ruins, but sometimes hoards treasure that he finds for his own personal collection without consulting his leader. He likes excavating with passion and only stops when ordered to do so. He's said to be the most powerful robot in King's army. Ground Man is a deep thinker, but hardly ever speaks and as a result is very unsociable. His main weapon is the Spread Drill, a drill-like missile that can separate into smaller drills. He can also transform into a small drill-shaped machine, being invincible during the attack, and uses a giant drill when in the ceiling.

Like: Rare objects
Dislike: Underground water

Trivia: Ground Man was originally called "Drill Man" by his designer, Rockman X author Iwamoto Yoshihiro. As there was already a Drill Man in Mega Man 4, his name had to be changed.

While his name was being changed, so was his appearance. Some of those changes included removing a W from his forehead, and drills from his finger tips. The former was possibly done to prevent players from discovering Wily was involved before the confrontation with King in his castle, while the latter was because the finger drills were too difficult to sprite.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

In German, "picking your nose" is literally "drilling in(to?) your nose". That would be interesting with finger drills.

I really like that the designer for this game just...forgot about a classic robot master.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

....Yeah. Fighting bosses as Bass is not exactly the most fun thing.

I believe there is a buster upgrade in Auto's shop that costs like 300 Bolts? It's been a really long time, but I think it just straight up doubles the attack power of his shots along with giving them a new graphic, making the grind against the i-frames half as bad. That's probably what you'll be wanting to get first since you can't really do weakness order in this game.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I believe to safely get that CD raocow wondered about requires moving through the spike bar while invincible - either using the spikeproof item from the shop or abusing extra I-frames you get from using Dynamo Man's weapon.
Chirei wrote: 5 years ago you can't really do weakness order in this game.
Sure you can. Not that raocow will be, but the way the stages unlock absolutely allows you to do all them in weakness order (other than the first one you play, obviously).

Cold -> Burner -> Pirate -> Ground -> Tengu -> Magic -> Astro -> Dynamo -> Cold

Blue

Post by Blue »

Buster dueling all the bosses as Bass is really nightmarish if you don't make use of the stuff you can get from the shop.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Bass should really get those dash boots checked out by a qualified technician. Which excludes Wily, so I guess he just has to live with them.

Robot Master Facts! "Aryarya! I was found!"

Astro Man (アストロマン Asutoroman) was originally built to work in a planetarium, but Dr. Wily modified him for combat, and he uses his abilities to confuse his opponents. Despite his great powers, Astro Man is easily startled and cowardly, so he is not very reliable in battle. However, he is the _world champion_ of hide-and-seek. Though he was destroyed once by Mega Man, King revived him by using data stolen from the robot museum.

Good Point: Modest
Bad Point: Shy
Dislikes: Old gags
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow, here's Forte's intro animation with his normal color palette.

Grounder wrote: And, at last, here's Day of Sigma.

REDACTED

I may or may not have forgotten last night.
If that's the entire video, then I'm pretty sure that's piracy. Not sure what this forum's policy on piracy is.
Last edited by xnamkcor 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Man or Astro Man just isn't the same without Space Magic.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"I almost said Leet, I don't know why" -raocow

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago If that's the entire video, then I'm pretty sure that's piracy. Not sure what this forum's policy on piracy is.
literally every youtube video he's been posting is "piracy", as is every song someone posts in the shoutbox. so basically It Doesn't Matter
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
This Eye o' Mine

Astro man's stage is apparently the first time Yoku blocks are referred to in any of the games (if the wiki is to be believed), during one of the hint conversations you can have with Roll. She calls them ブーンブロック "boon blocks", probably after the sound they make when they appear.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago I believe there is a buster upgrade in Auto's shop that costs like 300 Bolts? It's been a really long time, but I think it just straight up doubles the attack power of his shots along with giving them a new graphic, making the grind against the i-frames half as bad. That's probably what you'll be wanting to get first since you can't really do weakness order in this game.
It's either 200 or 300, I forget which. It looks like a round purple fireball, though, and is pretty unmistakable in that regard.

There's also a shot upgrade that looks like little purple-and-green mini-lasers. This shot type goes through walls, but also does slightly reduced damage from the default shot type. As such, the Double Damage Cfireballs are Bass's best bet.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago Sure you can. Not that raocow will be, but the way the stages unlock absolutely allows you to do all them in weakness order (other than the first one you play, obviously).
Oops! Somehow I thought that you had to defeat the first three to unlock the rest. It's no wonder they never did this again.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow's death count is so far EXACTLY the same as it was when he played as Mega Man. (0 in the intro stage, 3 in Ground Man stage, 5 in Astro Man stage)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago "I almost said Leet, I don't know why" -raocow

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago If that's the entire video, then I'm pretty sure that's piracy. Not sure what this forum's policy on piracy is.
literally every youtube video he's been posting is "piracy", as is every song someone posts in the shoutbox. so basically It Doesn't Matter
If it's ok with forum rules, that's all that matters.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Think I said it in the Mega Man side of the playthrough, but it's been long enough that it's worth saying again. When Astro Man creates those dudes that pop out of the holes, leave one of them around. You will have a perfect chance to score multiple hits on him this way.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

raocow cold man's freezy aura isn't actually damaging, its just to set up for the ice wall by gluing you to the floor.

Robot Master Facts! “Let’s cool off that head of yours!”

Cold Man (コールドマン Kōrudoman) is an ice-themed Robot Master appearing in Mega Man & Bass. Cold Man was originally a refrigerator used to cyrogenically preserve prehistoric dinosaur D.N.A. at -273.15 degrees in Dr. Light's laboratory before being modified into a guard robot by King. While his cooling ability is second to none, his ultra powerful thermal regulator also affects his cognition circuits, causing his calculations to take longer than similarly equipped robot masters. As well, the ultra low temperatures required to do his job effectively leave him with little love for warmer climates.

Good Point: Taking it easy
Bad Point: Slow in the head
Dislikes: El Nino

Trivia: Cold Man was called "Freezer Man" in his early sketchs, and his body was quite similar to a normal chest freezer. His name was changed to avoid confusion with the already existing Freeze Man from Mega Man 7, and with that, he was given a redesign.
Cold Man will gain some health if he is attacked by his own weapon, Ice Wall.