(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Mega Man X6 - An Absolute Nightmare

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

The best Sigma fight.

So I feel like there's something I should note about the Zero series, so raocow can make an informed decision about how he wants to approach LPing those games (I'm using the vaguest phrasing possible, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway just in case...even though I guess that kind of goes against my stated purpose):

The Zero series features a ranking system, much like X5. Unlike X5, the rankings actually kind of matter because the games will lock some stuff behind you having a certain overall rank (though this is a bit less of a thing in Zero 1, from what I remember). Also I think your rank influences the difficulty a little bit.

More importantly, the Zero games have a certain game mechanic to them. The game will get kind of mad at you for actually engaging with this mechanic in any meaningful way, however, to the extent that it will basically permanently lower your ranking to scrub tier if you go all in with it. So if you want to try to get/show off as much as possible...maybe exercise some discretion.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago So just as a curiosity, will the MMZ series be played on GBA or DS Collection? The collection is pretty much superior in any way, but DS emulation is something i've not been keeping tabs on, and last I checked it was a little spotty.
I'm not familiar with what changes were made in the MMZ collection, but reading about it briefly, it looks like the changes were cosmetic stuff and convenience matters, no real changes in actual content. It would be nice to play that version, but on the flip side, I don't know how good DS emulation is. I've heard it works well enough nowadays (keep in mind that you will eventually need it to play the ZX games), but for GBA emulation I can say confidently that it's reliable.
AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years ago

The Zero series features a ranking system, much like X5. Unlike X5, the rankings actually kind of matter because the games will lock some stuff behind you having a certain overall rank (though this is a bit less of a thing in Zero 1, from what I remember). Also I think your rank influences the difficulty a little bit.

More importantly, the Zero games have a certain game mechanic to them. The game will get kind of mad at you for actually engaging with this mechanic in any meaningful way, however, to the extent that it will basically permanently lower your ranking to scrub tier if you go all in with it. So if you want to try to get/show off as much as possible...maybe exercise some discretion.

If I remember correctly, aren't the

ranks

only needed to see

special attacks by bosses and the associated techniques you can gain from them

? Well, that and

a hidden room in MMZ1 Resistance Base with one cyber elf

I say don't bother with

ranks

for a casual run, or for a let's play of this format. I think the games, for all their flaws, make more sense if you don't try to get everything at once. If you're the player, have one run to play casually and maybe go for

cyber elves

; have another run focused just on

ranks and techniques

if you're really up for that kind of challenge. For the purpose of this LP, playing casually would be enough.

I think the real overall point in your post is that raocow shouldn't quite approach Zero games like Classic and X games. They were designed differently and should be played with a different mindset. Carrying over the same stipulations from MM1-8 wouldn't really work.
Last edited by ano0maly 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Oh, Hobo Sigma, you're still the hobiest. And a perfect metaphor for this game. For that reason, you will always has a special, half-completed place in our robotic hearts.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Sigma's first form is such an apt metaphor for this entire game. A shambling zombie made up of random parts thrown together that shouldn't exist.

*Translation Fun Time! FEATURING SECRET VILLAIN MOTIVATIONS NO ONE WILL EVER SEE NORMALLY!*
*SIGMA BATTLE*
X: Good… he’s not fully recovered yet!
Sigma: Cough... X...? Y-you again… get lost!
X: You can’t do a thing in this state! This time, I’ll defeat you for good, Sigma!
Sigma: Shut up! T-this body… is more than enough… t-to crush you!
*Sigma's so messed up he's forcing out every word*
X: Prepare yourself, Sigma!
(X fights and defeats Sigma and the room goes dark as he explodes.)
X: ...did I beat him? No, that can’t be it...
(The room grows light again to reveal Sigma in a monstrous, copper-colored form that takes up more than half the room.)
Sigma: GWA HAH HAH HAH! NOt yeT! THiS iS jUSt tHe beGgiNNinG! DIE, X! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEeeEeEEEeeEE!!! DIe DIE diE DiE DIe DIE!!!
*This is a weird thing to admit after how bad some of the dialogue has been translated, but I honestly like ‘THE BADDLE HAZ JUSD BEGUNN!' Wayyy more to indicate how broken and crazy HELLSIGMA is. that's the second forms name by the way. HELL SIGMA*
X: ...he can’t even think straight anymore. The only thing left in his mind is his desire for revenge... I'll put you out of your misery, Sigma! Time to settle this!
(X fights Sigma's second form and eventually defeats it.)
Sigma: GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! IT’S USELESS! USELESS!! I C-CAN’T DIE! Y-YOU KNOW THAT, X!!!
X: Sigma… we have no time to fight you. We need to rebuild our world, and I can’t allow you to stand in our way. It doesn’t matter how many times you come back… I will defeat you!
Sigma: GHA HAH HA HAH HAH! I WILL HOLD YOU… TO THAT! THAT G-GIVES ME THE MOTIVATION… T-TO RETURN ONCE AGAIN! I WILL BE BACK, X! I P-PROMISE! I-I WILL… I… GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!
(Sigma's second form explodes and the screen turns white.)

*GOOD ENDING*

(X and Zero stand outside the remains of the lab, X holding Gate.)
Zero:Looks like it's over.
X:Yeah...
Zero:X... what are you gonna do with Gate? He took way too much damage. We can’t help him anymore.
X: ...I know. But he was Alia's friend… I couldn’t just leave him like this. I know what it’s like to lose a friend...
*You are really stretching the definition of friend there X. they were colleagues, at best.*
Zero: ...I'm sorry I worried you. Oh, look who’s here.
(Signas, Alia, and Douglas arrive, joining X and Zero.)
Alia:Are you two okay? ...oh… is that Gate?
Zero:You can thank X for bringing him all the way here.
Douglas:Oh man, he doesn’t look so good! What should we do?
X: That’s up to Alia. I-I mean, if she’s okay with that.
Alia:No, I am. Thank you, X... this is more than I could ask for.
Signas:Looks like our mission is complete, then. No, actually… We have an even longer task ahead of us. We must rebuild our world together!
Douglas:If anything needs fixing, I’m your guy! I’ll show everyone my skills as a mechanic!
Alia:I'll try to develop a program resistant to any kind of virus…...a program to completely nullify any chance of corruption! Something that would make Gate green with envy!
X: It will take time, but if we all work together, we can rebuild our planet!
Zero: That’s right. This is the start of a long journey!
Signas: This time, let’s aim for a real utopia! An ideal world for both humans and Reploids!

*SECRET SCENE WHERE GATE’S ENTIRE MOTIVATION IS BROUGHT UP HERE AND NOWHERE ELSE EVER*
Alia: I got it… I found out what the Nightmare really is. The Nightmare is an artificially engineered virus. Upon infecting a Reploid, it rewrites their DNA and AI programs, completely overwriting their original parameters. In some extreme cases, even physical changes have been documented. It’s still too early to make any conclusions, but…...so far, it’s almost identical to the Maverick virus.
X:Yeah… it's pretty much the same.
Alia:But this isn’t the real threat posed by the Nightmare. There’s more to it. Once a Reploid loses self-control due to being infected by the Nightmare, they become susceptible to a specific code that is injected by the virus. This code effectively turns the infected Reploid into a puppet. This is the Nightmare’s true purpose. It’s not meant to destroy Reploids…...it’s meant to control them. Also, when Reploids get their code overwritten by the virus, they sometimes end up dying. A regular virus would typically be erased upon their host’s death, but since the Nightmare holds such a large amount of energy, it can survive even after the host Reploid dies. However, this energy also causes the virus to manifest physically, so it can be damaged directly, without the need of a vaccine program. So in this sense, it’s actually easier to deal with than the Sigma Virus.
*We can literally punch viruses now. battle network here X comes.*
X:Who could be behind this...?
Alia:Such an advanced program… I can think of only one person able to write it. An old colleague of mine… Gate. The investigators... they looked a little different back then, but I remember them. Those eight Reploids were created by Gate. They’re all exceptionally skilled Reploids…...I imagined someone would be making use of their abilities. Whenever I analyze this virus’ program, he’s the only one who comes to mind.
X:...this Gate guy; do you know why he would be doing this?
Alia:Since way back then, when he and I were in the Reploid Research Team…Every Reploid he created was off the charts. His programs were so advanced that nobody could properly analyze them. All of his works yielded results that led to scientific breakthroughs at the time. However, our superiors started to think Gate was crossing the line. Some of his Reploids started taking excessive risks…...which greatly damaged Gate's reputation as a scientist. Despite that, in order to achieve the recognition he so strongly desired, he continued to create Reploids, each more advanced than the last. Needless to say, this went directly against our boss’ orders. Until eventually, through several staged accidents......one by one, all of Gate’s Reploids were disposed of....and although I was just following orders, I took part in that too.
*nice nuremburg defense Alia, that’ll stand up well in robo-court*
X:Were they really that dangerous?
Alia:...no, not really. It’s just that Gate’s program was way too advanced. Our colleagues couldn’t understand Gate’s work, so they feared it.
X: Is that all? I mean, almost nobody so far could analyze my program, and yet...
Alia:Also... his ultimate goals have always been you and Zero. He wanted to create Reploids just like you both. He believed the ultimate Reploid to be one who could never be analyzed......even if they had to fake it. So he kept improving his programs, until nobody else could analyze them. He was leagues beyond me… I could never even dream of reaching his level. ...but since I was the one who followed orders, I went up the ranks instead. Nobody ever gave Gate the recognition he deserved. So he eventually resigned from our team. When he left, he said that all those who couldn’t see the greatness of his work…...all of them would submit to him. Building an ideal nation only with high-end Reploids… That’s his ultimate goal. The Nightmare is that very revenge on those who didn't acknowledge him. It is the embodiment of his hatred.
*Gate: I'm gonna build my own world of Reploids! With Blackjack! And hookers!*
X: Then I’ll put a stop to that hatred. We can’t afford to lose any more Reploids! Surely he knows that too! He should be helping Reploids at times like these, not killing them!
Alia:You’re right. Please, you must put a stop to Gate’s plan! The Nightmare won’t disappear until he is stopped!
X: Leave it to me. Let's find Gate!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

HELL SIGMA can be a problem if you're not (ab)using the fact that he doesn't have invincibility frames. He REALLY saturates the screen with nonsense and it can be very hard to keep up. Even still, it's not that long of a fight, so that's some mercy - it's almost like they learned from the nonsense that was X4's Sigma!

The secret cutscene being hidden behind not getting Zero and farming 3000 Souls is really bizarre to me. If you're killing the 8 bosses quickly enough, you get 200 each, so 1600 in total. The rest would have to come from farming the normal Nightmare enemies, for 8 a pop, so you need to kill 175 of the shit squids - after all, you can't get to Dynamo without unlocking Zero first! Also, for some bizarre reason in a game that has a farming mechanic, Nightmares only drop their Soul ONCE, not even again if you leave and re-enter the stage, unless you go into a different level and re-introduce the Nightmare effect (or change it, I guess - but if that's true, you could never restock the Nightmares in Metal Shark Player's stage, as that only has one possible Nightmare effect...). This is another way of skipping directly to the Gate stages (they really didn't want you to have to play through all their ass levels, huh) and this is what will lock you out of getting Zero's black armor, because you can't both have Gate's stages still locked off and get the 9999 souls required to have Nightmare Zero be at level 4.

In short, a mess.

Zero next, huh? That's a back-to-back of flawed games I highly anticipated. Don't get me wrong, I love the Zero series, but the first entry had some glaring flaws. The biggest is probably psychological; the often-spoiled now

ranking system

makes it feel like the game laughs at you for doing badly, and mocks you further if you dare to use one of its core mechanics to have an easier time. Said

cyber-elf

mechanic is also super unbalanced, requiring a completely absurd amount of farming just to obtain even one of the good rewards, let alone all of them.
My personal advice is: don't worry about any of this, just play and don't think about your performance. If you enjoy the game, come back later and try to make the numbers/letters go up, otherwise ignore it.

You do lose out on one so-called EX Attack per boss, but that's not an issue in Zero 1 per se; you just don't get to see it, but unlike in later games, you can't obtain it.

If people really want to see the spoiled thing, I made an in-depth LP of Zero 1 back in the day and can easily link with timestamps for the people who're curious.

One other thing: for some reason (the developers not wanting to force you to play shitty stages? Huh Huh Huh), you can decline doing missions in this game, which will permanently lock you out of doing them, so...don't say "No" too often. You literally can say "naw don't wanna" to every single of the 8 standard stage boss missions and start with the final stages immediately.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I was kind of hoping the bosses that raocow had an easy time with the first time would give him trouble in the boss rush, but the only bosses he had any real difficulty with are the two that gave him difficulty the first time he fought them. Anyway, Sigma is here but he's some kind of zombie now. I think he has some interesting attacks, but raocow has so much health he can just trade blows with all these bosses as if this game was some kind of RPG. Sigma has some pretty great dialogue, especially when playing as Zero, such as "I'LLSHOWYOUWHATATERRORISALLABOUT!!" and the aforementioned "DIE! ZERO! JUSTDIE!! ZELLLLLLO!!".

I don't think I've ever seen this particular ending before. On the rare occasion that I play through the whole game as X I don't even bother unlocking Zero. Though most of the time I just play as Zero and so I see his ending. Anyway, it looks like raocow is going to be playing Mega Man Zero next. I was originally only going to watch X6 but I might just stick around for Mega Man Zero.

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago
I'm not familiar with what changes were made in the MMZ collection, but reading about it briefly, it looks like the changes were cosmetic stuff and convenience matters, no real changes in actual content.
Mostly just sound quality being improved. The only other notable thing is that all the e-reader functions for Z3 are enabled within the game and usable, but that's not within the scope of an LP.
Negative

Post by Negative »

If anyone hasn't seen it, I recommend checking out Zero's ending for this game. Canonically, it takes place at the end of the X series and segues nicely into the beginning of Zero 1.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I forgot to mention that I had no problems emulating the Zero Collection for my Zero 1 LP, but it's really the exact same game, just a neat package and with extra minigames and unlocks. Also, the first Mega Man game I actually paid money for because I never had an NES and didn't really discover the series until...2010ish anyway.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mentioned this in the patreon discord, but if you're using VBA (or any fork outside of VBA-M) for the upcoming GBA games, dont; VBA-M users at the very least make sure you're using the latest version:

mGBA (the current recommended emulator for GBA games) is unaffected, as well as any other emulators one might be using.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

thanks for the head's up. I couldn't find an easy way to record from mGBA that wouldn't require post-recording cropping, BUT I found a way to make the latest version of vba-m work so I'm covered.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

were you using standalone mGBA, or the mGBA retroarch core?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

stand-alone, didn't think to use it as part of retroarch
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, I would've used that personally, since apparently RetroArch's gba-color.cg shader makes colours much more accurate to the original GBA hardware than desaturation options in other emulators (at least according to the emulation wiki)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The boss weakness order was Yammark > Scaravich > Heatnix > Wolfang > Turtloid > Shark > Sheldon > Majinion > Yammark. When you get to X7, I'll try and post those up sooner in a ispoiler box so you aren't stuck guessing. If you thought the loading times were bad in X6... Ha-ha.

Sigma's weak to Metal Anchor/Rakukojin for the first form and Ground Dash/Sentsuizan for his second one. But the Shadow Armor just tears it up with the Nova Strike since it and the sword do four bars of damage for each hit and the invulnerability period between hits is nearly zero.

Anyway, Zero 1's a mostly decent game. Don't know if it's been said, but Zero's rank means nothing in the first game, so you're not missing out on anything other than harder boss fights if it drops below an A rating. I remember the lives system being odd in this one, and since it's a GBA game, some issues with the screen size will invariably happen, but we're finally getting something other than garbage again. It'll be a nice change after the last couple of months!
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Broken Sigma actually has weakness reactions!

If you hit his first form with the Metal Anchor, he violently flies backwards and leaves a ton of homing shots.

His second form is weak to the Ground Dash, and it actually smashes his mouth cannon as he makes something akin to a gagging/choking sound. His literal weakness is making him eat shit.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Once again, the Mega Man series displays a certain self-awareness to its patterns. Sigma's implausible resurrections are brought to their logical conclusion by showing what it's like when a person does everything they can to stay alive long, long after they were supposed to die. Good plot point.

I tried to play Zero semi-recently and the way the lives/game overs worked was awful so I quit.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
I tried to play Zero semi-recently and the way the lives/game overs worked was awful so I quit.
Only the first game out of four is like that. For some reason MMZ1 combined lives and continues into one system so that you get to "game over" screen after each death and you have to use one of your continues to avoid reloading your last save. I guess it was an unpopular system since in the sequels they went with traditional lives system and free continues that would restart at beginning of level.
Last edited by ano0maly 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago stand-alone, didn't think to use it as part of retroarch
SulePuter is Capcom's Music Label. Capcom is short for Capsule Computer.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man Zero - Zero to Hero

Post by Bean »

Changing the name a little early today since I won't be awake when the new game goes live. You can thank Grounder for the title as he requested it. Works pretty well!
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So since it's getting to be a notable topic, I should probably give my takexplanation Rank and how it affects this LP (spoilers: it really shouldn't)

You're scored by things like mission objective completed% (if it's not just "beat the level"), lines of damage taken, enemies killed, deaths, continues, and cyber-elves used. I won't explain the elves now (though honestly I don't see raocow using a single one of these), but basically the only things these do are give all the bosses a super move in their fights if you are A or higher. This is all factored as an average of all the levels you've done so far and referenced into this chart:

S - 96 to 100
A - 86 to 95
B - 76 to 85
C - 66 to 75
D - 56 to 65
E - 46 to 55
F - 45 and under

It may seem generous that A is actually 86 and not 90, but even as someone who is as enthusiastic about the games as me that I can lemon-only X2, I can never really keep above a B in Zero 1 because it's incredibly unforgiving.

The easiest way to lose points is just straight up taking damage. In Z1, you start being penalized by taking 4 lines of damage, which means you can only take 3 damage for free, which is very easy to do. Every 3 points after this, you lose another point, up to 15 points.

For the most part, ol' Zero is only going to get to start with 16 lines of health, and stay that way unless raocow grinds for hours, which really, really, really sucks. damage taken will accumulate across each new life you use, meaning it's pretty dang easy to lose all 15 of those points. That and combined with other design decisions made in Z1 will just make it very hard to keep anything past a D or C if you're playing casually.

The more interesting part of the ranking system is not actually the letter rank, though. Depending on how you clear the levels (Zero used his gun more than his saber, you cleared the level really fast/slow, etc.), you may get awarded special titles that reflect your playstyle. This doesn't apply if you get S Rank, which I think only awards Zero the Superhero title. Ranking aside, I think this is a neat little touch, and I like it better than the letter grading system the Maverick Hunters used.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I just want to say, after just the little bit I've played this morning, I could tell how much more care was put in this game compared to the last few Xs.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago
Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Only the first game out of four is like that. For some reason MMZ1 combined lives and continues into one system so that you get to "game over" screen after each death and you have to use one of your continues to avoid reloading your last save. I guess it was an unpopular system since in the sequels they went with traditional lives system and free continues that would restart at beginning of level.
What I remember was losing all my lives, game overing, losing the ability to play that stage ever again ... and then continuing with zero lives. Meaning I had one chance to beat every single level (not gonna happen).
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago What I remember was losing all my lives, game overing, losing the ability to play that stage ever again ... and then continuing with zero lives. Meaning I had one chance to beat every single level (not gonna happen).
That's odd, shouldn't you restart with 2 like usual?

Though I think you're forced to load your save file if you do, and you might have saved with 0 lives. It's been a really long time and I really only remember Z3/Z4 well enough because they're the fun ones to play.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I was wondering if you'd say Ciel's name the way you did, given your heritage.

In other news, raocow, please take a closer look at the bottom of the options menu.

You can change how the subweapon is activated. I believe it's either hold both buttons, press the shoulder button to switch, or just one button for each.

You can also switch which weapon is the main one, for some reason you never thought of doing that. Also, yeah, the saber is a one-hit kill on the first boss. You have to be careful if you want full Mission points, though, as you can easily hurt Ciel with it.

In this game, weapons can be leveled up to give you more moves (including charge attacks), but it takes forever to get all the moves with the saber because it has like seven levels as compared to three or four for the other weapons. Zero 2 reduces that to three levels for everything, and 3 got rid of that system entirely.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!