(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man X6 - An Absolute Nightmare

Post by Arctangent »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago When using the Guard Shell as Zero for some really strange reason, it doubles the hit count of basically all his attacks while it is active.
If I'd had to guess, my first one would be that the Z-Saber detects the Guard Shell as something it can hit, but for some reason this cause the the Z-Saber's hurtbox to reset while ignoring Guard Shell. Possibly because they couldn't figure out how not to make the Guard Shell have that kind of hitbox for whatever reason, so to prevent it from blocking your own attacks they just made another Z-Saber hurtbox that has the Guard Shell object in its "already hit" list.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Fun fact: X6 actually kept most of the boss names intact from the Japanese version...Shield Sheldon being one of the exceptions. He's called Shieldner Sheldon in Japan.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

"Dr. Jim?" I feel like they missed an opportunity to do a callback to Dr. Doppler as the "professor" Shield Sheldon was guarding.

My headcanon is now that Sheldon was previously Dr. Doppler's bodyguard.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, you called it at the end after his last twin shield toss. You absolutely can duck or dash under that bottom one and get your hits in faster that way. Backstory's easy enough to understand with this guy, so that's all for this one.

Next time's going to be a hassle because of the Nightmare gimmick you unlocked from Sheldon's stage and just the level itself, so get in that mindset now.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, you could crouch to avoid many of his attacks.

But also remember that lives are meaningless in this game! You could have kept going as Zero.

Guard Shell can shred bosses in seconds due to a glitch. It's a sight to behold.
I want to reemphasize the second point: if you Continue after a Game Over, you'll just end up at the last checkpoint. There is absolutely no penalty to a Game Over except for having to sit through more loading screens. This also means that if you get stuck somewhere, which, again, can happen quite easily if you stumble on certain secret areas "too early", you need to Game Over and then GO TO STAGE SELECT or it'll dump you in the secret area again.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I was wondering why this video was so long for such a short stage; it turns out raocow didn't think to duck under the boss's attacks until after after it actually mattered. Anyway, raocow trying out Zero reminded me of a really dumb issue with this game; the game doesn't tell you how to use Zero's attacks he gets from bosses unless you're playing as him when you defeat the bosses. Another thing I had forgotten about is how long the warning thing before the bosses is; with how much I've played this game I've gotten used to just ignoring them. I guess it helps that I'm pretty familiar with all the bosses, so I generally don't die to them. Now that I think about it I remember getting pretty tired of having to sit through the warning sequence the first time I played the game, especially with one boss in particular, who I'll mention when it's relevant.

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago
Following that up, I should expand on the thought that you noticed how much new spritework was actually done for this game, despite being rushed out. I know you said you don't want to use Zero, which is a bit of a shame because he got a complete overhaul in this game.

Since X has his old Z-Saber, he has a new one, which is more like a Z-Broadsword.

The third hit most notably becomes a rising slash this time, which I personally think is better than his old 3-combo, since it gives him much more coverage and has surprising range. In addition to this, he has a much better Z-Buster than in X5. I know everyone's probably going to talk about the broken glitch potential it has, but I will try not to focus on things like those or speedrunner tricks in explanations. In layman's terms, it is just a quick shot that's somewhere in the ballpark of a half-charge shot and a full-charge shot from X in damage, and travels a fair distance. It packs a decent punch, and is much more worth using now if Zero needs to get an enemy from afar.

He's also got some really nice special techniques in this game. Again, not that it matters for this LP, but Zero will now automatically have his Special Techniques from defeating Commander Yammark and Rainy Turtloid, even though he wasn't present when you defeated them.
Looks like on my next day off I should lock myself away in my room hack away at the armor and Zero attack gameplay. Thanks.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

X finally throwing in his ten bucks to help pay for Lowtax's mecha-spine.

Today we learnt that Alia is a stone-cold murderer.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

"Blizzard Wolfang: ex-leader investigator."

So is he a former leader of investigators, an investigator that also used to be a leader, or someone who was once tasked with investigating leaders?

Also, Alia's last sentence confuses me. I think she's saying she's the one responsible for throwing Wolfang in the sea, but just seeing the phrase "I did it!" made me immediately picture her thrusting her fist in the air in a celebratory pose, proud of having just successfully finished reciting the file on today's Maverick's background story. "Yeah! No flubs today!"
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i think x is on the wrong side at this point

kinda no surprise that he was originally going to snap between x5 and the zero series :?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

As a French Canadian, raocow is super-effective against ice dogs.

*Translation Fun Time! In which we find out that Alia is like, responsible for dozens of murders that she got off scot free for.*
(X teleports to the beginning of the North Pole Area.)

Alia: This is the North Pole area. How is the situation over there?

X: I don’t remember this much ice being here. The whole place is frozen and slippery.

*X actually sounds legitmately surprised here, like he didn't really get that the North Pole had a lot of ice in it.*

Alia: Hmm… I suppose a High-Jump would be ideal for this kind of terrain.

X: No worries, I’ll make do. Moving out!

(X fights through the stage until he comes to a large, icy hill.)

Alia: The floor is too slippery to keep your footing. Take advantage of the irregular terrain to avoid the avalanches!

(X comes to a series of pits.)

Alia: The terrain in this area has collapsed. Watch out for crevasses! If you slip, trying to run or dash back may put you off balance. Instead, simply jump straight up to stop.

*As a Maverick Hunter X only has to pay attention to momentum sometimes*

(X is teleported to a different area.)

X: What is this place? Alia, can you hear me? Alia! ...I can’t reach her. Gotta find a way out of here!

*So the Zero Nightmare has unique dialogue for each level and some of them are...telling.*

(X finds the same discolored hologram of Zero.)

X: I found you! Time to put a stop to this nonsense of yours!

???: W-where’s… Zero h-hiding? Blue… robot... Zero’s e-ene-enEMY… I WILL KILL YOU!

(X fights the Zero Nightmare and eventually defeats it.)

*Okay so this is kind of weird but according to the complete works databook the Zero Nightmare actually does have access to Zero's memories, but they're completely scrambled and nonsensically arranged. So X is basically just shooting a Zero clone with severe dementia. VIDEOGAMES!*

(X continues until he comes across another Light Capsule.)

Dr. Light: X... let me give you yet another new power. This capsule contains the foot program of the Shadow Armor. To complete this armor, you must find the three remaining programs. With these foot parts, if you jump while holding Up on the directional button, you’ll perform a high jump and stick to certain ceilings. You’ll also be able to dash along these ceilings from this sticking position. It’s a tricky maneuver, but I trust you’ll handle it well.

(X steps inside the capsule and receives the armor program.)

(X continues until he enters a ditch.)

Alia: We can’t detect the Ice Nightmare from the Hunter Base, so I can’t navigate you here. See if you can find a way to use it to your advantage!

(X comes to a boss gate.)

X: I’m getting strong readings ahead… must be an investigator!

Alia: ...indeed. The investigator assigned to this area is Blizzard Wolfang. He...

X: ...hm? What is it, Alia?

Alia: Oh, nothing. It’s just that… I...

X: You know something about Wolfang?

Alia: ...nevermind, it’s nothing. Just be careful, X!

*Alia: (I may or may not have dumped him in the ocean for my junior thesis at Reploid U.)*

(X goes through the boss door and encounters Blizzard Wolfang.)

X: Are you the Nightmare investigator, Blizzard Wolfang?

Blizzard Wolfang: That’s correct. You see, because of my ineptitude, not only have my own men perished; I also brought shame to my master, Gate. All because I was foolish enough to fall into that cursed researcher’s scheme. Even so, despite my mistakes, I have been granted life anew. What’s done is done. This time, and from now on, I will carry out my mission, no matter the cost. Even if it means taking you out, Maverick Hunter. Let’s do it.

(X fights and defeats Blizzard Wolfang, who explodes. X teleports out.)

Alia: Blizzard Wolfang was the leader of an investigation team assigned to the North Pole area. One day, his team was attacked by Mavericks. Wolfang was able to defeat them; but sadly, he couldn’t save his team. Taking advantage of this incident, researchers who opposed Gate devised a plan to dispose of Wolfang. He was thrown into the sea, and the public was made to believe it to be an accident. ...and although I was tricked into it, I’m the one who executed the plan…

*Alia has like the most hilariously checkered past of anyone in the X series.*
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

but the Blizzard name was never actually repeated

in all seriousness though, Blizzard Buffalo's Japanese name is Frozen Buffalio, so at least in Japan the names were never reused... at least until X7 with Flame Hyenard (and once more in X8 with Burn Rooster)

kinda reminds me of a funny case in the Pokémon games. Gen2's Ice Badge was renamed to Glacier Badge for English versions (because badges couldn't have the same name as the elements). later, Gen4's ice badge happened to be Glacier Badge in Japan and required another namechange, English localizers chose Icicle Badge. even later, Gen5's ice badge is, sure enough, Icicle Badge in Japan and required yet another namechange for English versions.
Last edited by Kincyr 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Hideofbeast likes this stage and I cannot for the life of me fathom why. I think it's dogshit. Not even for super obviously bad design decisions (though it does have those), but for how often you just gotta wait for shit to happen, avalanches to pass you by, tetris cubes to align...that those are random, and how stupidly obnoxious the nightmare effect is, are just cherries on top. One of my least favorite levels from a pure "fun to play" aspect (of course, there's far worse still).

This boss is ridiculously easy and would be the most dead simple in the game if Yammark had a little more health. Just a terrible AI, he can do some interesting things but just...never does and instead sits there for the world to pelt/slice up.

Remember that you were told that you can stand on Blizzard Wolfang's weapon's ice cubes. Depending on your loadout, this might become a mandatory thing later.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I thought you could damage the Zero Illusions? You made one of them go away using the Guard Shell shots somehow.

Ice Burst - Utility ice chunk weapon. Fires a block a fair distance forward that X can stand on. This is actually required to beat a level later depending on the Armor you use. I think it does alright damage, but you aren't going to use it for damage.

The charged version of this weapon is actually rather unique, but a bit strange to use. When releasing a charge, X will make the screen flash, and nothing seems to happen except that X will glow with power temporarily. While X is blinking, any ground or air dash he performs will leave a trail of icicles that fly up and down vertically in his wake. It looks neat, but it's a bit awkward to actually use as an attack against most things.

Hyoroga - Allows Zero to perform a Super Jump when on the ground only. If he touches a ceiling during the jump, he will actually stick onto it for a while. You can then attack with an Ice Saber that sends a spread of three icicles downward and consumes the weapon's energy. You may also air dash left or right once on the ceiling, which will instantly make Zero drop down after use. The Super Jump and Ceiling cling/dash do not require weapon energy to use - only the icicles.

Wolfang's weapon is actually Turtloid's weakness, but in a brilliant maneuver of game design, it is impossible for Zero to actually use the Hyoroga to hit Turtloid, as the ceiling of his arena is way too high.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Guard Shell, and only Guard Shell, repels the Zero illusions.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Shield Sheldon's nightmare effect might be one of the worst ones if you don't know how to deal with it. You're supposed to use the weapon you got from him to deal with his nightmare effect. This is actually the case with I think about half of the nightmare effects, though I'd say there's only one - maybe two - of them where you could reasonably be expected to figure that out. The rest of them you're unlikely to figure out unless you happen to be using that weapon when you encounter them. It's also worth mentioning that if you get a game over or take the secret path in a stage it's possible to encounter these nightmare effects without having the weapon you're supposed to use to counter them.

Blizzard Wolfang's stage is one I have mixed feelings about. The first section can be a bit of a slog with the avalanches that could do with lasting much shorter. It also doesn't help that it clearly wasn't designed with Shield Sheldon's nightmare effect in mind (unless they intended for it to be basically unavoidable, which would be even worse). Then there's the downward scrolling section with the ice rolling down the slopes that I'm not sure how you're supposed to avoid. After that though, I actually find the rest of the stage quite enjoyable. Though it probably helps that I typically play as Zero, whose double jump makes the entire second half of the stage a lot easier.

Blizzard Wolfang himself can be difficult... if he's not busy shooting ice chunks all the time. Also I find it odd that you can climb the walls in the boss room despite the fact that they're clearly just as icy as the walls in the rest of the stage.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Kincyr wrote: 5 years ago in all seriousness though, Blizzard Buffalo's Japanese name is Frozen Buffalio, so at least in Japan the names were never reused.
Did Flame Mammoth and Flame Stag have different names in Japan? That's the duo that immediately came to my mind when raocow commented on the reuse of elements.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Mammoth was Burning something that starts with an N.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, Burnin' Noumander and Flame Stagger.

And Volt Catfish was Electro Namazuros.

Kinda strange that they repeated things in English, really.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

You called out Cody and Chun(-Li) but not Leon? Psh.

The next level is the true masterpiece shitshow of randomness. I hope you find the capsule, or at least DON'T find the teleporter! (It is recommended that you actually try to equip some parts now, yes.)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mea

Post by Mea »

Not a fan of how the slippery physics worked on those slopes, looked like garbage to play on. Like that alone kills my opinion of this stage, even disregarding everything else.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Mea wrote: 5 years ago Not a fan of how the slippery physics worked on those slopes, looked like garbage to play on. Like that alone kills my opinion of this stage, even disregarding everything else.
It's honestly okay iiiiif you play like the game desperately wants you to: dash-jump everywhere. raocow is using the air-dash a lot, but that's honestly kind of clunky and slow; he noted the awkward pause before it dashes on video.
Many gaps and spike pits in X6 are so broad that you need the air-dash, though...or a dash-jump, a normal one just won't do. You can see that well in the beginning of Shield Sheldon's level which has absolutely nothing going for it except some platforms that are perfectly spaced for you to dash-jump from one to the next, over a spike pit and bam, there's the stage actually starting. The game flows far better if you speed through it like a lunatic whenever the action lets up for a bit, so that you can get to the next action spot immediately.

Of course, this is THE solution for the weird ice slope physics: you're only on the ground to start the dash-jump, the rest of your movement is strictly in the air, and you're covering a lot of ground. Basically, if you're touching the ground for anything but the tiny amount of time you need to perform the next dash jump, you're Doing It Wrong as far as the game is concerned.

Going further than this, the game 100% expects you to be an absolute master of dash-walljumps from the word go; it's almost impossible to get over Rainy Turtloid with a normal airdash, for example (and raocow did switch to dash-walljumps after a bit of practice in the fight). Later on, especially in the secret areas, there's gonna be numerous situations which are completely impossible to do without a veeeery well-timed air-dash...or a comparatively simple dash-walljump.

Or the Blade Armor.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah, I can't wait for the Blade Armor to show up. I honestly expect it to overtake the Falcon Armor in use.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

High Max is only damageable if you shoot a charged shot and then hit him with a special weapon. It's reversed for Zero.

*Translation Fun Time! In which Alia straight up admits to committing murder!*
(X teleports to the beginning of the Central Museum area.)
Alia: You are in the Central Museum... or in what used to be the Central Museum, at least. The place is completely different from before.
X: It’s dead quiet… what has the Nightmare done to this place?
Alia: There’s only one way to find out.
(X fights through the stage until he finds a semitransparent enemy much like a totem pole.)
X: Why is there a totem pole in here?
Alia: A totem pole? But I can’t see anything of the sort from here... which means it must be the work of the Nightmare! Be careful!
(Each time X approaches a totem pole, he is teleported to a different area - possibilities listed below.)
X: What is this place, Alia? ...Alia? Can you hear me!? I can’t reach her... where am I, anyway?
X: W-what happened!? Alia, can you hear me? I out of range... what the hell is going on?
X: Hm? What is this place? Alia, can you pinpoint my location?...Alia? Alia! I can’t reach her...
X: Another virtual area… why is the Nightmare changing up the museum like this, anyway?
X: Oh, come on! Again? Where does this even end?
X: Where am I this time? ...nevermind, let’s just move forward.
X: This area seems larger than the other ones, but it’s still swarming with Nightmare… they sure aren’t making this easy.
X: I’ve been transported again? But I was in a virtual area already… what’s going on?
*X flips between really confused and exasperated pretty much at random here. *

If X encounters High Max
(X finds High Max inside a hidden room.)
High Max: What are you doing here, Maverick Hunter?
X: I’m here to put a stop to the Nightmare. I know you people are the ones behind it!
High Max: You have neither reason nor the right to accuse us. I shall put an end to your foolishness.
(X fights and defeats High Max. High Max teleports out.)

(X continues until he comes across another Light Capsule.)
Dr. Light: X, step into this capsule and I'll grant you data for an Armor program. Once you obtain all four programs, the Armor will be complete. The one I give you now is the head program for the Blade Armor. It allows you to consume less energy when you use your special weapons. I pray for world peace, and for your safety.
(X steps inside the capsule and receives the armor program.)
*Dr light's design philosophy: I pray for peace. here's a thing that gives you more ammo to kill with*

(X continues through the stage until he comes to the boss gate.)
Alia: The investigator stationed at this area is Ground Scaravich. I know it’s been a long mission, but it’s almost over. Hang in there!
(X goes through the boss door and sees Ground Scaravich.)
X: Ground Scaravich! You must be the one who’s been going around stealing from archaeological sites! What are you doing here? Are you involved with the Nightmare scheme too?
Ground Scaravich: My, oh my... if it isn’t officer X. How persistent of you to have bothered coming all this way.
X: I have no time for games, Scaravich. Tell me everything you know, and I promise I won’t hurt you.
*X is really cheesed off by people looting archaeological treasures, apparently!*
Ground Scaravich: Sorry, no can do. In fact, since you’re here, I think I’m going to take a good look at your DNA data. I AM an archaeologist, after all. I can’t let this chance pass me by!
(X fights and defeats Ground Scaravich, who explodes. X teleports out.)

Alia:You got the Ground Dash! Hurl large chunks of debris toward enemies.
Ground Scaravich used to be a treasure hunter devoted to researching historical sites. Along his expeditions, Scaravich accrued a vast amount of data on ancient robots. In fact, a large portion of Gate’s research material has been provided by Scaravich. One day, he was sent by Gate to a classified area. It was the laboratory where Dr. Cain found you, X. I saw him entering the place. He had no clearance, so… my conscience screamed for me not to do it, but it was my duty to neutralize him. ...and Gate, he... didn't even bat an eye... ...I’m sorry. This is a really difficult memory for me.

*Alia, a reploid designed for support, has a higher body count at this point than like, half the actual Maverick Hunters.*