(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Chirei

Re: Mega Man Xtreme 2 - From One Xtreme to the Other

Post by Chirei »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if this happened at all in Xtreme 1, but it's bothering the heck out of me how they truncated the music in this stage. It loops back to the start right before it gets to the most recognizable and energetic part. It ends up feeling like the stage never gets going properly.
Thankfully, I believe only this stage gets that treatment. Some others like Overdrive Ostrich have things like a sick intro added to them.

Also having watched the video now, I can confirm that yes, you have to have a certain amount of souls on your person to unlock more things in the shop which is really stupid. Thankfully the best parts unlock at like 500-1000, and beating bosses gets you 200.

I should note that EVERYONE is weak to the x-buster in this game. Lemons do no less than 2 damage to every boss, so you don't even really need to charge a lot of the time. When you find the body armor, it should get a lot better since as you saw, some bosses have remix attacks.

On the note of the leg upgrade, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it's actually IMPOSSIBLE for X to beat the game without it. You'll see what I mean later, and it's possibly the rudest MMX level segment I've ever seen.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago and it's possibly the rudest MMX level segment I've ever seen.
I admit I don't remember much about Xtreme 2 but I feel like nothing in this game cannot possibly be the rudest MMX level segment in 2001 given we still have

the Blaze Heatnix vertical autoscroller section

coming down the pipe
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago I admit I don't remember much about Xtreme 2 but I feel like nothing in this game cannot possibly be the rudest MMX level segment in 2001 given we still have

the Blaze Heatnix vertical autoscroller section

coming down the pipe
This one is like, really rude as a first sight kind of thing, but it's so exceptionally rude about it because it doesn't even matter what you have in terms of equipment. You'll know it when you see it.
Mea

Post by Mea »

I like their decision to get rid of those flashing white checkpoint pillars, the level seems more seamless now, and they even managed to get rid of the loading screens in between!
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

gosh▵ this game flashes a lot▸▸ was there no restriction on games made in the early 2000s about flickerings? or perhaps it wasnt much of a problem on the gameboys screen??

also i am still super excited for like episode 500 when megaman powered up is played (^▽^)

ImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Peliptia wrote: 5 years agogosh▵ this game flashes a lot▸▸ was there no restriction on games made in the early 2000s about flickerings? or perhaps it wasnt much of a problem on the gameboys screen??
I'm not certain that an unlit screen like the GB/GBC had could actually be an issue for people sensitive to such things. From my understanding it's specifically going rapidly from bright light to dark repeatedly that causes issues.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Seconding the "Flashing lights wasn't a problem with OG Gameboy/GBC/GBA" - in fact we generally wouldn't have noticed it until the Emulation era anyway since that was when the GBA SP brought backlight to the scene in a big way.

(Backlighting had been done with some Japan-only GB variants but nothing international to my knowledge until the SP)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago
Cosmo Fishhawk wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago TIL Reploids also use the toilet.
Wait, DO Reploids have biological components? I was never clear on that beyond them "not being robots."
From my experience with the US canon, Reploids are named as such for being attempts at "Replicating" X's Hardware/Software. "and Zero's" gets shoehorned in there after Zero it's established as a character who doesn't just die in the first game.

Therefore, X and Zero are not "Reploids"(according to the US canon).

Watch the intro to X1 for SNES on a summary of what makes X special. Then for a Reploid, throw in the chance of going crazy/irregular/maverick/goose/iceman.

As far as the biological part. I doubt recall any precedence involving using Reploid technology to augment or prosthesise a human. But I cannot think of a reason why not, as long as the mechanical or robotic, or automatic part uses Reploid technology to function.

For additional fun, look up the canon definitions of Android in the Dragon Ball universe too see how liberties with definitions can happen in works of fiction.

tl:dr "Not Robots" refers to them not being robata, but rather, closer to automata.
Ah, ok. Thanks.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Wait, DO Reploids have biological components? I was never clear on that beyond them "not being robots."
From my experience with the US canon, Reploids are named as such for being attempts at "Replicating" X's Hardware/Software. "and Zero's" gets shoehorned in there after Zero it's established as a character who doesn't just die in the first game.

Watch the intro to X1 for SNES on a summary of what makes X special. Then for a Reploid, throw in the chance of going crazy/irregular/maverick/goose/iceman.

As far as the biological part. I doubt recall any precedence involving using Reploid technology to augment or prosthesise a human. But I cannot think of a reason why not, as long as the mechanical or robotic, or automatic part uses Reploid technology to function.

For additional fun, look up the canon definitions of Android in the Dragon Ball universe too see how liberties with definitions can happen in works of fiction.

tl:dr "Not Robots" refers to them not being robata, but rather, closer to automata.
Ah, ok. Thanks.
Something fun to notice and think about. Many times X and Zero are called "Reploids". This may seem like a translation error, but the fact is, not every other "person" in the universe is aware of who exactly X and Zero are. Or the role they played in their own existence. And some even refer to them as "[younger]" people(though, this maybe be a lose translation of something similar to "kouhai" and not always literally age related), even though is physically impossible for any Reploid to be older than X. Maybe if they became a Reploid as an upgrade to their software?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Aren't the podoboos instakill on Xtreme mode?
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Mega Man X5 - The End of the Mega Man X Series

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

raocow wrote: Bass is also purple and gold

???
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

raocow's weakness: a boss that just kind of jumps into him awkwardly.

*Translation Fun Time! *Where Berkana is ALL ABOUT DEM BOYS*
GARETH TALKS TO BERKANA

Game Script: Berkana: They have been very entertaining!

Better Translation: Berkana: Huhuhu…This is… stupendous! Go on boys! Show me your power!!

Game Script: Gareth: It is unwise to allow them to act on this island. They should be terminated immediately…

Better Translation: Gareth: Berkana, now is not the time to be indulging yourself. They need to be exterminated, immediately.

While Gareth doesn't use Berkana's name in the Japanese version, his whole side of this conversation is rather reproachful/frustrated. Since using someone's first name is usually a good way to get someone's attention, having him use her name here conveys how annoyed he is with her behavior while keeping it civil.

Game Script: Berkana: Not yet. I want the data on the Maverick Hunters. The more they fight, the stronger they would become, thus better data would be acquired.

Better Translation: Berkana: Not yet. I want GOOD data from those strapping lads. The more they fight, the stronger they become. And I never settle for second best ♥.

Game Script: Gareth: We have acquired enough DNA Souls. We don’t need any more.

Better Translation: Gareth: But we already have more than enough DNA Souls. I could destroy them at a moment’s notice, if only you’d let me.

Game Script: Berkana: You must have noticed how dangerous it is to fight both of them at the same time.

Better Translation: Berkana: Oh ho, my dear Gareth…Really now? Do you not see the peril in fighting both of them at once?

Game Script: Gareth: True. It is too dangerous to fight them at once.

Better Translation: Gareth: …True. They are quite deadly as a pair.

Game Script: Berkana: Let’s enjoy watching them for a while. One of the guardians may get lucky and destroy them.

Better Translation: Berkana: Yes, so why not enjoy ourselves, see if the guardians can cook a MEAL from those beef cakes? You never know.

Game Script: Gareth: It is very unlikely… But if you say so…

Better Translation: Gareth: That’s…not very reassuring. But if you insist…

Game Script: Berkana: I can hardly wait to meet them. Hee hee hee…

Better Translation: Berkana: I do. Oh ho, I can’t wait to meet those boys. Huhuhu…♥♥

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So while the dialogue is mostly the same between the translations, there's one important distinction. Berkana is a LOT flirtier in the Japanese version, to the point where she is _constantly_ referring to X and Zero as "boys". So those "beef cake" and "strapping lads" bits? Those were just her flirtily saying "boys" yet again.

Which is alright in the Japanese language, since repetition like that comes off fine. But doing that in english just makes it sound like a bad comic book. Or Yugioh.

Par Example:

"KAIBA! This will crush the evil in you! MIND CRUSH! Now the evil plaguing your mind has been crushed to bits!"
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago raocow's weakness: a boss that just kind of jumps into him awkwardly.

*Translation Fun Time! *Where Berkana is ALL ABOUT DEM BOYS*
GARETH TALKS TO BERKANA

Game Script: Berkana: They have been very entertaining!

Better Translation: Berkana: Huhuhu…This is… stupendous! Go on boys! Show me your power!!

Game Script: Gareth: It is unwise to allow them to act on this island. They should be terminated immediately…

Better Translation: Gareth: Berkana, now is not the time to be indulging yourself. They need to be exterminated, immediately.

While Gareth doesn't use Berkana's name in the Japanese version, his whole side of this conversation is rather reproachful/frustrated. Since using someone's first name is usually a good way to get someone's attention, having him use her name here conveys how annoyed he is with her behavior while keeping it civil.

Game Script: Berkana: Not yet. I want the data on the Maverick Hunters. The more they fight, the stronger they would become, thus better data would be acquired.

Better Translation: Berkana: Not yet. I want GOOD data from those strapping lads. The more they fight, the stronger they become. And I never settle for second best ♥.

Game Script: Gareth: We have acquired enough DNA Souls. We don’t need any more.

Better Translation: Gareth: But we already have more than enough DNA Souls. I could destroy them at a moment’s notice, if only you’d let me.

Game Script: Berkana: You must have noticed how dangerous it is to fight both of them at the same time.

Better Translation: Berkana: Oh ho, my dear Gareth…Really now? Do you not see the peril in fighting both of them at once?

Game Script: Gareth: True. It is too dangerous to fight them at once.

Better Translation: Gareth: …True. They are quite deadly as a pair.

Game Script: Berkana: Let’s enjoy watching them for a while. One of the guardians may get lucky and destroy them.

Better Translation: Berkana: Yes, so why not enjoy ourselves, see if the guardians can cook a MEAL from those beef cakes? You never know.

Game Script: Gareth: It is very unlikely… But if you say so…

Better Translation: Gareth: That’s…not very reassuring. But if you insist…

Game Script: Berkana: I can hardly wait to meet them. Hee hee hee…

Better Translation: Berkana: I do. Oh ho, I can’t wait to meet those boys. Huhuhu…♥♥

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So while the dialogue is mostly the same between the translations, there's one important distinction. Berkana is a LOT flirtier in the Japanese version, to the point where she is _constantly_ referring to X and Zero as "boys". So those "beef cake" and "strapping lads" bits? Those were just her flirtily saying "boys" yet again.

Which is alright in the Japanese language, since repetition like that comes off fine. But doing that in english just makes it sound like a bad comic book. Or Yugioh.

Par Example:

"KAIBA! This will crush the evil in you! MIND CRUSH! Now the evil plaguing your mind has been crushed to bits!"

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

I for one applaud the former Bass for finding herself and living her best life.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man X5 - The End of the Mega Man X Series

Post by Voltgloss »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years ago
raocow wrote: Bass is also purple and gold

???
I think the purple raocow is thinking of comes from Treble Boost Bass:

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago Aren't the podoboos instakill on Xtreme mode?
This is true, and this seems like a good time for me to talk about that.

In Xtreme Mode, there are actually a few gameplay differences. Almost all the bosses, and even one miniboss gets an extra attack or nuance added to their fight. Other subtle (but unwelcome) changes include those mega podoboos going from doing 2 damage to instant kill.

The lava still only does 2 damage without armor, though. It really feels like they used a dartboard to decide what changes/features made it into this game with how strange it's structured.

Also raocow, I should also note that due to GB limitations, the subtanks only have like three levels of visible "fill". It's totally common to pick up life and not see any change in it until you've picked up a lot. Don't worry though, they are filling. There's even a sound effect for it, but you might have noticed that a lot of sounds kind of overwrite each other, so it's hard to hear a lot of the time. The yellow DNA Souls will also contribute to this, since they do recover health. Just remember that it only counts when you're at full health.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

So, is there a way to get the subtank without tanking (ha!) damage?

I'd like to talk about the translation/localization of laughter sounds. raocow said that he found it weird that they wrote "hee hee hee" for Berkana's laughter, but I thought that was perfectly normal. In German, especially in comic books where these things are exaggerated, people often laugh as "Hihihi" (pronounced like Berkana's). It's usually a female, more subdued giggle. Drawn out, like Berkana does it, I'd expect it to sound more like a witch's cackle, which is totally appropriate.

Conversely, nobody in the north american internet sphere seems to have a problem when translations go for the completely unchanged "Fufufu", which is a sound that makes absolutely no sense to me. It might be that I have read less (read: just about zero) Manga in my life than the average American teenager, but I noticed that a lot of videogames I played as a child have the fufufu in their English translations, and none of them had anything even close to it in German. I wonder why that is, if American translators maybe defaulted to a more literal translation for their early attempts and it just became normal, whereas the Europeans usually simply had more time and less pressure (look at localization dates to see what I mean) to either make it more natural-sounding because they wanted to, or they had a mandate to localize more heavily to make people more likely to play the fewer games we got?

I'm only adding the "maybe they just wanted to" explanation because I know of some localizations where the translators obviously had a lot of fun and free reign to do what they wanted, my favorite example being Yoshi's Island level names where "Shy Guys on Stilts" becomes "High Shy Guys" (yes, in a German game) and "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" is "Lustiges Sporen Drama" (funny spore drama).
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago So, is there a way to get the subtank without tanking (ha!) damage?
If you mean the Heart Tank, I don't actually think so. None of the weapons grant you invincibility like the Chameleon Sting and the stage doesn't alter, so you just have to tank it and probably have the Leg Part.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

The M probably stands for "Marine", raocow. If I had to guess, anyway.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

X's feet are too big for the Bunny Slippers, so he left them with Erina.

The 2 submarine minibosses are actually intact in this level, but this level has multiple paths and you happened to take the path that had none of them.

The Marine Tornado is basically just the charged version of the Storm Tornado from X1, except you don't have to charge it and it only delivers one hit. It's very good for when weak stuff is above you.

Launch Octopus possibly gets the most devastating Xtreme Mode EX Attack, so if you fight him no-weapons only later, it's gonna hurt unless you are like, frame perfect.

EDIT: So the Giga Crush is actually really good in this game. It does 8 damage (read, 25% of their life) to bosses. The problem is that I feel it takes a really long time to charge. It works on every boss except the final boss. In addition, X can charge it by getting hit with any attack, and not just projectiles like in X2. Lastly, if you manually change your current weapon to the Giga Crush (labeled GC) and pick up hamburgers or Blue DNA Souls, they'll actually fill its weapon gauge.
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Launch Octopus stole Storm Eagle's weapon for his appearance in this game, but flipped its charge effects around. which is actually more useful given how vertical some of the levels in this game are.

*Translation Fun Time! Where Dr Light somehow knows robots in the future will have souls!*

Game Script: Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Body Upgrade. This Upgrade will increase your defensive ability. utilizing the energy from damage, you can unleash the GIGA CRUSH!

Better Translation: Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. Attach this Armor Upgrade, and your defense will rise. All damage will be halved. Plus, it will actually CONVERT that damage into energy. Gather enough, and you'll be able to whip out the deadly Giga Crush! Protect the souls of all Reploids, X!
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago So, is there a way to get the subtank without tanking (ha!) damage?

I'd like to talk about the translation/localization of laughter sounds. raocow said that he found it weird that they wrote "hee hee hee" for Berkana's laughter, but I thought that was perfectly normal. In German, especially in comic books where these things are exaggerated, people often laugh as "Hihihi" (pronounced like Berkana's). It's usually a female, more subdued giggle. Drawn out, like Berkana does it, I'd expect it to sound more like a witch's cackle, which is totally appropriate.
I think he was expecting a Noblewoman's Laugh- usually written out as something similar to "Ohohoho"
Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago Conversely, nobody in the north american internet sphere seems to have a problem when translations go for the completely unchanged "Fufufu", which is a sound that makes absolutely no sense to me. It might be that I have read less (read: just about zero) Manga in my life than the average American teenager, but I noticed that a lot of videogames I played as a child have the fufufu in their English translations, and none of them had anything even close to it in German. I wonder why that is, if American translators maybe defaulted to a more literal translation for their early attempts and it just became normal, whereas the Europeans usually simply had more time and less pressure (look at localization dates to see what I mean) to either make it more natural-sounding because they wanted to, or they had a mandate to localize more heavily to make people more likely to play the fewer games we got?
I spend an undue amount of time thinking about onomatopoeia. My interpretation of the logic behind "fufufu" is that it's a somewhat forceful, harsh laugh through nearly closed lips (preferably with the top teeth resting lightly against the bottom lip). Think someone really sleezy and casual like the sterotypical Matthew McConaughey performance. To my ear it does sound a lot like "fufufu."
Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago I'm only adding the "maybe they just wanted to" explanation because I know of some localizations where the translators obviously had a lot of fun and free reign to do what they wanted, my favorite example being Yoshi's Island level names where "Shy Guys on Stilts" becomes "High Shy Guys" (yes, in a German game) and "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" is "Lustiges Sporen Drama" (funny spore drama).
I love odd German localization (my favorite is the dick joke from Link's Awakening because I'm mentally five). I hope nobody got fired over those lol.
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

Ah, ok. Thanks.
Something fun to notice and think about. Many times X and Zero are called "Reploids". This may seem like a translation error, but the fact is, not every other "person" in the universe is aware of who exactly X and Zero are. Or the role they played in their own existence. And some even refer to them as "[younger]" people(though, this maybe be a lose translation of something similar to "kouhai" and not always literally age related), even though is physically impossible for any Reploid to be older than X. Maybe if they became a Reploid as an upgrade to their software?
I guess it depends on how many characters are actually supposed to know about their origins. It could also just be slightly informal language based on their youthful appearances.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years agoThe M probably stands for "Marine", raocow. If I had to guess, anyway.
So... Whirlpool basically, lol.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Look, X here has had the stiffest shoulders with all of the work he's had to do as of late.