(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mega Man Xtreme 2 - From One Xtreme to the Other

Post by Ashan »

THE WORLD
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's like poetry, it rhymes
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"These silly games are pointless"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Phun historical linguistics phact: "laguz" is a Proto-Germanic word meaning "sea" or "lake" or other body of water (It is also presumably the name of the L-rune, ᛚ, in the Elder Futhark, called "lǫgr" in the Younger Futhark and "lagu" in the Anglo-Frisian runes.) Despite its watery associations, however, there is no known record of "laguz" ever being used to refer to a water closet, but it's encouraging to see Mega Man Xtreme 2 carving out bold new linguistic hypotheses.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:I can't believe I lost to the intro boss!
Well in your defense you were fighting the Shroud Lord.

I know it actually isn't but it reminded me a lot of it for some reason.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, the title was either going to be this or Lavatory Story Break. This game is both better and worse than the first Xtreme to me, so I don't know whether I like it more or not than the original one. And yeah, Iris was a fan favorite character, so that's why she was placed into this side story that takes place between X3 and X4.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

It's Megaman X 3 1/2! After defeating the phenomenon on Rabi Rabi Island, X and Zero get no vacation time and go straight to another island to stop people's souls from being stolen.

This game has some curious design, good and bad. I think I like it overall just for some of the weird things it tries to do. I wonder how much Zero we will see since just as a heads up, there is even less story/dialogue difference between new playthroughs than Xtreme 1, aside from things that would be different to the characters.

Right off the bat, we already see one of the weird new mechanics, the DNA Soul items. They're those little balls that may sometimes appear as stacks of 2 or 3, and in yellow or blue. They act as the currency/bolts of this game, but the coloration actually has meaning. They are the only currencies in the franchise I know of that also double as recovery items depending on their color, the amount they recover being outlined below:

Yellow DNA Soul
1 ball - same as small life capsule (2 HP), 4 money
2 balls - same as small life capsule (2 HP), 8 money
3 balls - same as big life capsule (10 HP), 16 money

Blue DNA Soul
1 ball - same as small energy capsule (2 Energy), 4 money
2 balls - same as small energy capsule (2 Energy), 8 money
3 balls - same as big energy capsule (10 Energy), 16 money

Yellow DNA Souls seem to drop far more frequently than Blue DNA Souls, so it's actually not unfeasible to rely on drops to keep healed up across stages. It is a bit of a shame there's quite a bit of instakill IMO compared to some other X titles.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

TIL Reploids also use the toilet.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mea

Post by Mea »

SAJewers wrote:TIL Reploids also use the toilet.
Gotta take them occasional core dumps and memory leaks
Cosmo Fishhawk

Re: Mega Man X5 - The End of the Mega Man X Series

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago
Cosmo Fishhawk wrote: 5 years ago Zero will be back because we've seen him come back two times previous
One of those times was an optional gameplay/story choice.
Fair enough.
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago TIL Reploids also use the toilet.
Wait, DO Reploids have biological components? I was never clear on that beyond them "not being robots."

Also, apparently raocow just killed the Beyblade god, sorry kids.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 785042.png
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

"Y'know, there's something about this game that's really bugging me.

"But I can't exactly put my finger on it.

"Is it happening to you guys, as well?

"Do you think you could point it out?

"Because I can't.

"But it's bugging the crap out of me all the same.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Cosmo Fishhawk wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago TIL Reploids also use the toilet.
Wait, DO Reploids have biological components? I was never clear on that beyond them "not being robots."
From my experience with the US canon, Reploids are named as such for being attempts at "Replicating" X's Hardware/Software. "and Zero's" gets shoehorned in there after Zero it's established as a character who doesn't just die in the first game.

Therefore, X and Zero are not "Reploids"(according to the US canon).

Watch the intro to X1 for SNES on a summary of what makes X special. Then for a Reploid, throw in the chance of going crazy/irregular/maverick/goose/iceman.

As far as the biological part. I doubt recall any precedence involving using Reploid technology to augment or prosthesise a human. But I cannot think of a reason why not, as long as the mechanical or robotic, or automatic part uses Reploid technology to function.

For additional fun, look up the canon definitions of Android in the Dragon Ball universe too see how liberties with definitions can happen in works of fiction.

tl:dr "Not Robots" refers to them not being robata, but rather, closer to automata.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years agotl:dr "Not Robots" refers to them not being robata, but rather, closer to automata.
Wiktionary wrote:Noun

robata (plural robatas)

A charcoal grill used to prepare Japanese food for customers seated around the cooking area
A restaurant featuring such a grill
Well I'd certainly hope that X and Zero aren't charcoal grills, lol.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years agotl:dr "Not Robots" refers to them not being robata, but rather, closer to automata.
Wiktionary wrote:Noun

robata (plural robatas)

A charcoal grill used to prepare Japanese food for customers seated around the cooking area
A restaurant featuring such a grill
Well I'd certainly hope that X and Zero aren't charcoal grills, lol.
Sorry. I meant to type, "Hibachi".

Edit: Here are some higher quality versions of those things.

Last edited by xnamkcor 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Gareth is okay, but he's no Middy.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago art
It bugs the crap out of me that Zero's eyes and boob lights aren't aligned between the internal and external shots.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago art
It bugs the crap out of me that Zero's eyes and boob lights aren't aligned between the internal and external shots.
And his Boob Lights look like the same hardware as his eyes. Quadrascopic vision with dual wide-angle steroscopy? Along with his Hibachi Brain, it might explain why he's such a good swordsman.

Edit: "X" is also in all caps.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Yeah, the game unlocks parts in regards to how many souls you have on hand. It's dumb.

Meanwhile, Volt Catfish takes over Toxic Seahorse's stage without even asking.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So my memories of Xtreme 2 are pretty fuzzy, but I think Volt Catfish is the only "original" stage in the game, as far as the X1-3 bosses go. The rest are pretty faithful to the original games, slight modifications to account for heart tanks/armor parts aside.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Dodging Volt Catfish's vacuum thunder attack relies on you baiting out the thunder by running back toward catfish right before it fires.

Translation Fun Time! Where this translation shows just how much the localizers cut out for...not really any reason!

Game Script: Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Leg Upgrade. The Upgrade will enhance your mobility and enable you to dash while jumping. You’ll also be able to dash upward.

Better Translation: Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. If you attach these Foot Parts, your foot power will be upped and you will be able to dash even mid-jump! You can even dash upwards! What’s more is that you’ll be able to kick special blocks to break them. Go, X! Run down evil!

It's nice how the localizers thought that breaking blocks with your feet wasn't something the player needed to know about.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

waterfall reminds me of aqua man's stage from mm8 tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That stage is kind of what I meant by the game being both better and worse than the original. Xtreme 2 has a thing for instantly ending you that the first one did not, and even with the enhanced mobility, there are going to be times where you'll tank a life or two to understand what's going on and how to get past it.

Doesn't help that you fought one of the hardest of the regular bosses in the game right off the bat either. Ha-ha.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Bean wrote: That stage is kind of what I meant by the game being both better and worse than the original. Xtreme 2 has a thing for instantly ending you that the first one did not, and even with the enhanced mobility, there are going to be times where you'll tank a life or two to understand what's going on and how to get past it.
Ugh, yeah. Even though I was aware of the gimmick, it got me a few times when I redid this game not too long ago.

I really like that the stage actually reminds you of the fact that Volt Catfish took over a hydroelectric dam, but at the same time I don't like how they use the rushing water gimmick. There seem to be two variants - one that very rapidly pushes you and causes janky physics, and another that's electrified and just instantly kills you. As far as I know, the former is only used once, and depending on where you are, you can kind of fight it. The latter just instantly tells you "no" and sends you back, which feels bad.

What's made even worse is that unless my luck was INCREDIBLY bad across all three modes, enemies will NEVER drop extra lives, and the EX Tank/Spare Charger isn't in this game. There's actually only ONE extra life that appears on the field in the entire game, and it's in a stage only Zero can access for now. I guess B Rank Hunters aren't allowed to get more than 2 lives at this point in time...
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Not sure if this happened at all in Xtreme 1, but it's bothering the heck out of me how they truncated the music in this stage. It loops back to the start right before it gets to the most recognizable and energetic part. It ends up feeling like the stage never gets going properly.