(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Heavy Sigh

Re: Mega Man Xtreme - Xtremely Familiar

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Leet wrote: Which is why I said that I agreed that it was a good translation choice!!!!

But positioning the official translation's liberties as "wrong" and this fan translation's liberties as "actual" is really misleading, because it is impossible to have an "actual" translation - for exactly the reasons you just said. The translation that Heavy Sigh is posting is much closer and better as far as I can tell, yes, but calling it "actual" implies that it is the "true" translation and that the official translation's differences are a result of them translating "wrong" instead of just making different (and yes, possibly worse) choices.

"Better" translation? Fair enough. "Actual" translation? No.
I call the fan translation "Actual Translation" because the official translation is barely better than straight machine translation and obliterates what little character any of the dialogue has and also makes several plot moments more confusing (like techno's whole deal). I mean, I can change it to 'better translation' if you want but I don't think that really gets the quality difference across as much.

Plus this is going to be a whole lot more relevant once raocow gets to Xtreme 2 because hoo-boy that game's translation.

Translation Fun Time! Featuring Justice or whatever.

X VS. GEEMEL, ROUND 2

Game Script: Geemel: I’ve been waiting for you X! Kekeke. You seem to be having problems! I’ll give you another problem to deal with!

Better Translation: Geemel: You’ve made it, X, kekeke! From the looks of it you seem to be in quite the pickle, eh! Mi will stop your justice or whatever!

(X defeats Geemel.)

Game Script: Geemel: Kyee! How frustrating!

Better Translation: Geemel: Kiii! I’m so pissed!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

yardball
300 men enter
no grass leaves
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago I call the fan translation "Actual Translation" because the official translation is barely better than straight machine translation and obliterates what little character any of the dialogue has and also makes several plot moments more confusing (like techno's whole deal). I mean, I can change it to 'better translation' if you want but I don't think that really gets the quality difference across as much.
You don't have to change it, but I've already explained why 'actual' doesn't make any sense, so no point for me to restate it.

Also, machine translations (from Japanese) are generally almost entirely useless (and were presumably not any better in 2000), so the translation is clearly much better than that.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years agoyardball
300 men enter
no grass leaves
But leaves are basically all grass is to begin with??
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Are lasers not just spears of light anyway?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Xtreme 3 and 4 essentially confirmed.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago finishing the game tomorrow or nah?
if only
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Translation Fun Time! In which Dr Light acts like a little kid that wants to tell you something cool.

DR. LIGHT'S SHOTOKAN UPGRADGES

Game Script: Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. I’ll give you the Shotokan moves… “Hadou-ken” and “Shouryu-ken”! First, fully charge the energy by holding the B button. Then hold the UP button and release the B button… You’ll perform the famous Shouryu-ken! If you hold the DOWN button and release the B button… You’ll perform powerful Hadou-ken! Remember that you can only perform these moves when you are on the ground.

Better Translation: Dr. Light: Now X...I shall teach you two legendary techniques, the “Hadouken” and “Shouryuuken”! First, if you charge your buster to Full, then let go of the button while pressing up….BAM! Shoryuken! And if you let go while holding down…. BOOM! Hadouken! But, you can only unleash these techniques while standing on the ground.

Now, full disclosure here. TECHNICALLY, Dr. Light doesn't say "Bam!" and "Boom!" in the Japanese script, BUT, he really does act like an excited little kid here. The literal quotes are "First, if you charge until Full Charge, then let go of the button while pressing up….Shoouryuuken! If you let go while holding down…. Hadooouken!", so adding a few action sound effects preserves the tone a bit better.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

dr. cain the dr. cain the dr. cain
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

So you actually could have got the Shotokan stuff the first time around, and it even sticks around for the "Hard Mode" playthrough if you use the same save slot, making "Hard Mode" something closer to "Really Easy Mode". It's very cathartic to play through regular stages with those upgrades, though.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

What happens if you get first time arounf? Is there anything there when you replay on hard mode?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I don't actually remember! I think either nothing happens or you get the Shotokan moveset again (i.e. nothing happens but flashier).

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Mojimoji-ken is my favourite attack.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

aterraformer wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago finishing the game tomorrow or nah?
if only
It should be. Extreme Mode in this game literally has no story elements, making it even more tacked on than this second venture through the same fortress. I think this is all right to mention now that the Hard Mode run is just about complete.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah tonight is the last xtreme video.

spoiler: the thumbnail is perfect
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago yeah tonight is the last xtreme video.

spoiler: the thumbnail is perfect
I'm still hoping there's a game between Xt1 and Xt2. Not that I hate them, I just don't remember any and I like surprises.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago I'm still hoping there's a game between Xt1 and Xt2. Not that I hate them, I just don't remember any and I like surprises.
Well because I don't want to ruin your surprise, I'm just gonna tell you that you could look at a list in the OP of the "coming up next" thread...
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Yeah it's another X game though

Long stretch of X games for a while I think before the first zero game

I know nothing of any of the zero games so I'm excited
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mega Man X4 was so fun, so it's kind of amazing how the next five are just range from sort of there to awful or boring. Now that it's just about over, I'm going to say that I like the Wonderswan game more than Xtreme. This is pretty much close to the bottom of the barrel for me of all the Mega Man games I've played.

On the positive side, the next game is better!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago So you actually could have got the Shotokan stuff the first time around, and it even sticks around for the "Hard Mode" playthrough if you use the same save slot, making "Hard Mode" something closer to "Really Easy Mode". It's very cathartic to play through regular stages with those upgrades, though.
Partially true - the Shotokan stuff only persists until you power cycle the game. So it's a good thing that loading a save game before beating Wolf Sigma would put you back at Sigma 1. Somehow.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Wow, I thought the plot was bad the first time around, but at least it existed. Hard is basically the same plot but with none of the additional characters, other than Geemel. Not that they were exciting characters to begin with.

Why even bother having a Hard Mode with a different plot if you're not really going to do anything with it?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years agoWhy even bother having a Hard Mode with a different plot if you're not really going to do anything with it?
That's actually a good question. Anyhoo, here's all the weaknesses.

The chain is Chill > Spark > Armored > Morph > Magna > Wheel > Storm > Flame. Zain's weak to Shotgun Ice while Geemel's vulnerable to Speed Burner in both fights with them. Bospider's Shotgun Ice or Magnet Mine, Serges is Speed Burner or Rolling Shield, Sigma 1 is Electric Spark or Speed Burner, and Sigma 2 is Rolling Shield or Spin Wheel.

And finally, Zero Final takes off 10 HP on every boss except for both fights with Zain (8 HP) and Sigma 2 (4 HP).

Game over.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

The world is no longer a place

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Translation Fun Time! Featuring the one (1) well translated line in the english script!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 3

Game Script: ???: Fu fu fu… You made it.

Better Translation: ???: Hehehe...so you’ve finally made it.

Game Script: X: Sigma! You’ve been behind all of this!

Better Translation: X: Sigma! You’re the one behind everything again?

Game Script: Sigma: Didn’t you think it was strange that you could defeat me with such easy attacks? You’re no wiser than before, X! Now you will pay for your ignorance!

Better Translation: Sigma: Did you think you had defeated me with that last effort? You’re as naïve as ever, X; And for that, you will now DIE!

(X defeats Sigma.)

Game Script: Sigma: Hahaha… No matter what you do, it’ll be in vain! Hahaha…

Better Translation: Sigma: Hahaha...no matter what you do, it will be in vain! Hahahaha….

Here it is, the one well translated line in the game’s english script.

CONVERSATION WITH ZERO

Game Script: Zero: X, it was Sigma again who was behind everything. We’re going to destroy Sigma’s hiding place completely. To scatter their power, we’ll split up from now!

Better Translation: Zero: X, it was Sigma! He was the one pulling the strings again, just as we suspected...we're going to annihilate Sigma’s hideout now. To divide the enemy’s battle power we will split up and mobilize!

Game Script: X: OK, let’s go!

Better Translation: X: Alright, let’s go!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 4

Game Script: Sigma: You’re here again! We had fun last time… But playtime is over! Hahaha! Get ready to be destroyed!

Better Translation: Sigma: So, you came once again. And once again, I had plenty of fun with your efforts. However, it all ends here! Hahahahaha, get ready, X!

Game Script: X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!

Better Translation: X: There's no WAY I'll lose Sigma! I'll destroy you once and for all!

(Sigma transforms but it defeated by X.)

Game Script: Sigma: Why… Why do you win all the time… Where does your power come from? GuaaaAAA!!

Better Translation: Sigma: Why….why do you always win….where could the source of that power possibly be….GUWAAAAAAAAA!!

THE EPILOGUE

Game Script: Zero: We cleaned out the enemies. We can escape from here!

Better Translation: Zero: The enemies here have been cleaned up. Now let's get out of here.

Game Script: X: All right! Let’s go!

Better Translation: X: All right! Let’s go!

Game Script: Narrator: Thanks to X and Zero’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But evil is very tough to completely stop. When evil emerges again… they’ll be there to fight… For now, we can only hope that the world will give X and Zero some peace…

Better Translation: Narrator: Sigma's plans to rule the computer world have finally been eradicated, thanks to the efforts of X and Zero. However, the forces of evil still live on. When the time comes, our heroes will once again fight them, and flush them out. Until then, let’s just pray that this world’s peace will be the balm that X and his friends need to rest easy….

A WILD TECHNO APPEARS!

A Challenge from Techno!

Game Script: Techno: Humph. You have done very well … I didn’t expect that you would defeat the Hard Mode… But do you have what it takes to complete the “Extreme Mode” which I programmed for you! This is an awesome mode containing 8 stages to clear. Keep in mind that you can’t use the save data that you’ve cleared. There are no story sequences, as it is specialized just for battle! So, why don’t you save your data here and go for it? If you have the guts… Hope to see you again… Heh heh heh…

Better Translation: Techno: Hmhmhmm...you’re pretty good. Clearly I underestimated you, if you were able to beat Hard Mode. In that case, how about playing on “Extreme”, the mode that I programmed? It’s a devilish mode with all the stages, all the powerful foes...And, get this, you can’t use your Clear Data. So how about you save your data now? Kukuku...I hope I can meet you again, someday...hehehe....
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago There are no story sequences, as it is specialized just for battle!
Interesting, if I read this correctly, the Japanese version didn't say that Extreme difficulty doesn't have story sequences. I think that's actually an useful note added in a translation then?