(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - More Power to You!

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago rao was talking about 9 and 10 specifically though
Yeah, but still. :P

Also I've always found Duo's ending hilarious. It's just so blatantly an advertisement, it always makes me laugh.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I like how, at some point during the development of this game, this conversation must have happened:

"You know Shade Man's theme needs?"

"What?"

"An upbeat happy jazzy remix."

"YES"

EDIT: Also, Duo DOES keep his promise to return, by virtue of being in

Battle and Chase

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow i know you meant numbered installments but come on

also hooray stealth dos sequel
Last edited by Grounder 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no I was making a joke :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man 8 - A Saturn for the Better

Post by Bean »

A bit too late on editing the thread title. Oh well. And hey, there's finally a Mega Man game on a Sega system that is pretty good.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

... I wonder how much stuff from the Mega Man Anniversary Collection games has been lodged into my brain yet associated with things that aren't Mega Man.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Fun facts about this game:

-You can use the normal Mega Buster, including charge shots, while you have a weapon equipped. raocow did this with the Mega Ball, but it might not have been clear what was going on if you didn't already know that was a thing.
-Weapon energy is fully refilled on death.
-There are continue points in the Robot Master stages. If you pass the continue point, you can start from there even if you run out of lives.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

For whatever reason, I've never really been a big fan of the graphical style of the PS1-era Mega Man (X) games. Especially MM8. I'm not sure I can even articulate why. It just all looks...off, to me, somehow.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

I have really mixed feelings about Mega Man 8, but gosh do I ever love its soundtrack. It's one of my favorite soundtracks ever, which is kind of amusing to me since most of my friends consider it one of the most forgettable Mega Man soundtracks.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Man I hate so much about the sound design in this game. The voice acting, the audio levels, the sound effects, the instruments, and the music is so bland and uninspired. I think the sound is one of the biggest reasons I have trouble enjoying this one for anything other than the cutscenes being funny.

Like, can anyone explain the sound effects for Mega Man jumping and landing? He sounds like he's got cartoon suction cups plopping around under his feet. He's made out of metal, that is not the sound his feet should he making. And the gun sounds so pathetic, which I thought it did in 7 too. X had way better sound effects for this stuff. I don't know why they made classic Mega Man seem so stupid in 7 and 8.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Well there's some interesting juxtaposition posted 47 seconds before me
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Yep. :P
Blue

Post by Blue »

You did a good job getting under my skin, raocow. I opened up this tab to complain about how it was clearly Clownpiece then immediately heard "sorry that was a joke."

10/10
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Yay, Saturn Mega Man 8 :)

That's what I grew up with. Apparently, it's a highly valuable game on the used Saturn game market (you could easily sell it for $300 on eBay without much of a fuss...only other games at that value are some of the late Capcom games, the final U.S. trio, and Radiant Silvergun). Also noteworthy is the fact that Capcom wanted this to be a Sega Saturn exclusive (probably because, as a 2D game, the console was better suited for it), but Sony demanded a release of the game as well (probably holding up Resident Evil's release or something).

I also think, in retrospect, that the game is extremely campy, if only because of the voice acting of the Robot Masters. It's extremely obvious with Clown Man, but it's also pretty obvious with other bosses like Aqua Man and Astro Man, and more subtle with ones like Grenade Man, Search Man, and even Frost Man. Honestly, that's part of the charm with this game.

Finally, the soundtrack is actually pretty good in some spots (though I'll admit some of the songs are clunkers). Fun Fact: The Saturn version has different versions of both the Tengu Man and Aqua Man themes from the PSX version. While Aqua Man's theme is only different in a couple minor spots, Tengu Man just has a completely different song which is leaps and bounds above the PSX version.
One day, an image will return
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

So I tried to play MM8 not too long ago, and even made it to the final level. But due to reasons, I had to replay the other Wily stages once, and after doing that, I got into a completely undiscovered, undocumented softlock bug, and I would have to play all the Wily stages for the third time, so I quit permanently. :T
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

So this was actually my first Megaman as a kid.
...yeah.
But MAN is this all really freaking nostalgic. Been waiting half a year for this.

On the other hand I had Legends, which I still really love. ;_;

P.S. Also the soundtrack is hit-and-miss I'd say.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I like techno in video games, so I'm a fan of the soundtrack for the most part. Obviously, the voice acting was definitely a huge inspiration for me back in the day since it's amazing, but the one real odd thing about the game is with Mega Man's eyes. I don't get why they're red. Sonic fans go nuts over the green eye stuff, but yeah, red-eyed Mega Man just feels off.

A few things that I like about this game is that it's the only classic series game that lets you have a special weapon equipped while still letting you use your buster. The Playstation MMX games did the same thing, but I thought it was a neat touch. Kind of makes you want to use your weapons more, and you will be forced to in some spots for collection purposes anyway. So with that said...

"Shut up!"
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

This is not the Saturn version at all! I got japed.
e: Yes it is! raocow saying it was the Legacy Collection was the actual jape!
There's two things that immediately bother me in MM8: sliding feels slow and has a delay, and hitting enemies feels super unsatisfying; the feedback is not very good.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Gotta those cheesy 90s cutscenes.
heycallmeZe wrote: 6 years agoAlso noteworthy is the fact that Capcom wanted this to be a Sega Saturn exclusive (probably because, as a 2D game, the console was better suited for it), but Sony demanded a release of the game as well (probably holding up Resident Evil's release or something).
Which is interesting, considering EWJ2 on PS1 apparently never got released in NA because Sony didn't want 2D titles on the PS1 (or something like that)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Does this game or version of this game have the thing from MMX1 where if you hold L and R, Your charge animation is changed?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

if it helps: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_ ... ifferences

EDIT: FYI raocow, if you don't want to read that, ther's an optional thing you'll want to get that someone will probably have to warn you beforehand (or let you know after, so you can get it).
Last edited by SAJewers 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

heycallmeZe wrote: 6 years ago Also noteworthy is the fact that Capcom wanted this to be a Sega Saturn exclusive (probably because, as a 2D game, the console was better suited for it), but Sony demanded a release of the game as well (probably holding up Resident Evil's release or something).
Not quite so. Sony wanted to only have 3D games on their console. Capcom wanted to release Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4 on Playstation, so they told Sony that if it won't allow them to do so, they won't release their other 3D titles for Playstation (games like Resident Evil 2). In the end, Sony had to allow for this, but required Capcom to produce a 3D Mega Man game later on. They did, the resulting game was called Mega Man Legends.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

I was planning on watcing all the megaman videos in a row once raocow finished every single one, but megaman 8 is actually one of my favorites, as I really like the robot masters, stages , and a lot of quality of life enhancements this game gave to classic megaman. (which were sadly forgotten by the time 9 and 10 got released )
Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years ago Fun facts about this game:

-You can use the normal Mega Buster, including charge shots, while you have a weapon equipped. raocow did this with the Mega Ball, but it might not have been clear what was going on if you didn't already know that was a thing.
-Weapon energy is fully refilled on death.
-There are continue points in the Robot Master stages. If you pass the continue point, you can start from there even if you run out of lives.
honestly just being able to use the buster without switching back is one of the reasons this a favorite of mine for classic megaman.

ps:since you can use the buster even with other weapons, and even swap buttons so buster stays y/square/X , and if you like buster only runs, this means you can make megaman any color you want while still shooting lemons.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Not only do we have Fudd as Light, but Hugo is Frost Man!

The rabbit bots are really well animated and pink, oddly enough.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

Apparently, using the Mega Ball in the sled segments has... interesting results. I didn't know that until after I went through the game, though.

The segments in this stage aren't too hard, but... well, I'll talk about that when we get there.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!