(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 6 - The World Warrior Turbo Rush Champion Edition

Post by Kshaard »

Bit late to the party here, but this game has, without question, my favourite MM soundtrack. Not to say anything against any of the others, but the melody-craft here is quite a thing. Shame the thing was never released in PAL-land (not that anyone here would have actually gone and bought it or anything).
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yuko Takehara made her Mega Man debut with this soundtrack. She did a great job. A lot of them have this pretty neat upbeat thing going for them, and even the low key ones like Centaur Man give off a mysterious feel to them, which is perfect since the level is supposed to be Greece's mythical city of Atlantis basically. Tonight, we get my favorite song of these eight bots.
Blue

Post by Blue »

obviously yamatoman's folded a million times katana can cut through knight man's useless and clunky armor in a single slash
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I had completely forgotten what 80% of this stage looked like because I never come here without the equipment necessary to take the alternate paths. Like, I don't even remember those bomber dragonflies at all. That was pretty neat.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow, you're absolutely not alone in thinking that most of MM6 is just "there". You mentioned it for Knight Man and you noticed it again in Yamato: the level design isn't bad per se, it's simply...absent. Most stages consists of individual rooms that have absolutely nothing to do with each other, maybe there are some interesting enemy placements here or there, maybe not; sometimes there's just an empty stretch like we're playing X3 again. There is very little theme or cohesion, if there's gimmicks, they're bizarrely inconsequential, almost always a one-of thing and desperately need expanding upon to really shine.

For example, the water drop ceiling in Centaur Man is quite cool, even though it feels weird, but the enemies also interact with it IF they jump into it (I think), but their placement is too arbitrary to really matter in that way, and you just use the water to jump over spikes like twice and that's it. You'll also never see the jumping enemies ever again. The dragonflies in Yamato Man are neat, except they can be neutered by just standing still, the room itself is optional and again, they'll never come up again in more dangerous configurations (maybe a room design that FORCES you to go forward, thereby nudging you into the bombs they drop ahead of you?).

If MM6 were a romhack, every level would be slammed for lacking focus, basically.

I also think that its aesthetics are very mismatched. You mentioned the beautiful Japanese city in the background, which is quite nice and well done, but then you go inside and never see it again. It's also next to a hilariously crappy looking mountain with a terrible black outline which we fortunately also never see again. The entire level has a palette consisting of subtly mismatched pastel colours that makes my eyes want to puke; I know this is purely subjective, but I the colors look like clashing garbage together and Knight Man was even worse. To contrast that with better examples, I hate the salmon color of Drill Man's level, but it's consistent, the palette works with the rest of the background, the enemies even, I'm fine with it overall. I'm not even a big fan of pastel in general, but MM5 makes its pastel colors work SO well, even bold choices like turquoise and pale orange mixed with green in Napalm Man. Someone on the art team really understood how to give each color the weight it needed, background elements sensible outlines with well-chosen line thicknesses, and often no outlines at all - look at the train station background in the first screen of Charge Man's level for one of my absolute favorite background art pieces in Mega Man. It's stark purple, but with a lot of black to take the edge of, just beautiful. MM6 is very...creative with its palettes (we'll see in the revisit round), but it consistently fails to be aesthetically pleasing.

At least the music is amazing. Yamato Man especially is one of my all-time favorites!
Money

Post by Money »

Man it's a shame the actual level design is so lackluster and unfocused because all the side content and split paths are a super neat angle to bring to Megaman. Oh well.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I remember in Age of Ultron when they revealed Black Widow is impregnable
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

What's kinda funny about Mega Man NES games by this point is Capcom clearly got way better at sprite work and making all the enemies and robot masters look cool to the point where Mega Man himself kinda looks like trash in comparison cause they never updated him

I mean, it doesn't bug me by any means cause I'm just like "yeah that's the Mega Man sprite" but I think if they were to make a Mega Man sprite from scratch by the time they were making MM6 it would look way better probably
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago What's kinda funny about Mega Man NES games by this point is Capcom clearly got way better at sprite work and making all the enemies and robot masters look cool to the point where Mega Man himself kinda looks like trash in comparison cause they never updated him

I mean, it doesn't bug me by any means cause I'm just like "yeah that's the Mega Man sprite" but I think if they were to make a Mega Man sprite from scratch by the time they were making MM6 it would look way better probably
I differ with you on this, I consider all the other Mega Men quite overdesigned in comparison to Classic. I do, however, love the fact that Mega Man will have design changes to match boss weapons equipped. That super works for me. Edit: in MM11
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

There's some distinct DOS 3 going on with some of these Robot Masters' proclivity for jumping everywhere.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoI remember in Age of Ultron when they revealed Black Widow is impregnable
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/impregnable
Adjective
Too strong to be penetrated.

Adjective
Capable of being impregnated.
Following treatment, twenty percent of previously infertile females were impregnable.
Application of the compound rendered the non-porous surface impregnable.
Strangely the meaning of the word when in regards to getting pregnant actually means the exact opposite, lol.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years agoI remember in Age of Ultron when they revealed Black Widow is impregnable
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/impregnable
Adjective
Too strong to be penetrated.

Adjective
Capable of being impregnated.
Following treatment, twenty percent of previously infertile females were impregnable.
Application of the compound rendered the non-porous surface impregnable.
Strangely the meaning of the word when in regards to getting pregnant actually means the exact opposite, lol.
Not as strange as the "they're playing hide the zucchini" joke from the other movie.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I love the music, RM designs and the adapters in this game. The levels also had huge potential, but they seem so bare in a lot of places. The RM AI feels so lacking as well. These last two points remind me of X3, though I'm not sure which game was hurt more. I'm also not a fan of the weapons in this game. Ugh, the whole thing is such missed potential.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Plant Man's stage was always one of my favorites in this game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Tomahawk Man's weakness to the Plant Barrier might be a reference to the fact that flowers are a symbol of peace, since Tomahawk Man was built exclusively for fighting, thus being a symbol of war.
This is kind of dumb, but the backstory says that Tomahawk Man was the only robot of the eight built to fight in this tournament while the other seven were modified from whatever they did.

It really does make no sense since Silver Tomahawk can pierce shields like Knight Man's even though it's not his weakness. And Plant Man's main attack is a shield of petals. I don't get it!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Plant Man in the classic series - silly robot with a flower for a head that shoots petals at you

Plant Man in the Battle Network series - crazy spiky vine man that takes down a hospital's computer system while a disabled kid is having a critical heart surgery performed that might kill him. Rated E for everyone!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

"Also man you're exploitabl-*death*"
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Plant Man in the Battle Network series - crazy spiky vine man that takes down a hospital's computer system while a disabled kid is having a critical heart surgery performed that might kill him. Rated E for everyone!
God, fuck that entire network with its bullshit burning-ground-vines gimmick. At least we got this kickass song out of it, though.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Plant Man is definitely one of the best stages in MM6. It has a consistent gimmick (the springs), a working palette, a great-looking background, a solid enemy selection and a good difficulty curve. And neat touches in the health flowers. I sadly don't think it's too fun to play because fuck the fishes, but at least while a little frustrating to hit in practice, the bouncing cannon is good for a laugh. A concept that you've seen the entirety of now :(.

I don't know why people rag on Plant Man's fight as being super piss easy or whatever, I think they do the most out of a super limited pattern. The trick is that his jump bounces off walls, and that gives him just enough variety to catch you off-guard once in a while. As every offensive move of his deals a lot of damage (contact!), he can as shown kill you and that's enough to ask from a boss, I think.

Maybe the issue is that he gives the absolute worst shield weapon in the entire series.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I think the spear head flying away is supposed to be a goof, not a purposeful attack. That's why he doesn't lose it when throwing them.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Plant Man in the classic series - silly robot with a flower for a head that shoots petals at you

Plant Man in the Battle Network series - crazy spiky vine man that takes down a hospital's computer system while a disabled kid is having a critical heart surgery performed that might kill him. Rated E for everyone!
Plant Man's chip in Battle Network: Makes you win instantly.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

As much as it bothers me that half of MM6 is just straightforward "elemental" bots, I love Blizzard Man's goofy design.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Stat time from someone other than SomeGuy.

The last vid of MMIV - 30:30
The first five vids of MM6 - 30:29
All seven vids of MM6 - 44:35

I think the game will get a little more bite to it in the fortress. I think it has some pretty hard jumps if you're doing it without the stuff. Also, now we'll never know what Plant Barrier does.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's true that Flame Man's tougher to buster duel than some of the other bosses, but he's still not that hard with a little practice.

That said, Wind Man was my starting point. Wind Storm can go right through the fire pillars, making the Flame Man fight significantly easier. Which I guess we'll see in the rematches.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Ah yeah, Flame Man and his classic finger blast ability