(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man IV - A Rock Ballade of Love

Post by Bean »

I like the fact that all three levels have had you fall once in the level and once at the boss so far. It's been a very consistent run.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

after the four bosses in megamanIV you end up in a stage, nobody is surprised. now, the way it works is that you fight a boss, then there's a tiny useless stage YOU TELEPORT TO, and you fight a boss. Are each boss defeat its own stage, or is this one two-bosses stage. THIS IS IMPORTANT
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Reviewing the stage, since the game even keeps the weapon you were using equipped on Megaman during the transition from first boss to useless tiny stage, I say it's a one two-bosses stage.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

got it!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

after the four bosses in megamanIV you end up in a stage, nobody is surprised. now, the way it works is that you fight a boss, then there's a tiny useless stage YOU TELEPORT TO, and you fight a boss. Are each boss defeat its own stage, or is this one two-bosses stage. THIS IS IMPORTANT
That first thing you're talking about is a mid-boss. The real boss of that intermission stage is after that.
raocow wrote: 6 years agogot it!
Whoops! Too late.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Because Wily stage after defeating Mega Man 5 robot masters doesn't have a clear separation between stages, I decided to find where are Game Over checkpoints. In spoiler I included list of stages assuming each Game Over checkpoint means a new stage.

The password screen only appears after second part of those. It doesn't save Wily stage progress however, it just... exists.
  1. Ballade
  2. Escape from exploding fortress
  3. Outside spaceship
  4. Inside spaceship
  5. Boss refight room and a short room after it
  6. Wily first and second form
  7. Wily saucer
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I always liked that cutscene. It also helps that unlike Enker and Punk, Ballade is given a proper introduction instead of just a one and done boss battle near the end of the game.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

The Wily boss music in this game is AMAZING.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Charge Man's theme sounds a lot weirder when the loop goes back to the intro. It's unsettling.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Doublepost whoo

I imagine the hippos go down a lot faster if you get up close. A lot of the time fighting them was spent waiting for shots to fly off-screen.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I think you're meant to prepare a single column of blocks left to support the hippo, then shoot them all down at once. It's tough to not accidentally shoot a block you meant to save while a missile is hounding you, though. It's also not really fun either way.

In MMIV, you can stand on the shield cannons. This is how you can get the E-Tank without Rush!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, both of those strategies work. I also think Pharaoh Shot does good work on that thing if you don't want to bother with shooting the block pillars down. It's been a long time since I've played this one, so I don't remember for sure.
Dustinvgmaster
Great Time Champion
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: obj_dustin.id

Post by Dustinvgmaster »

Stone Man was clearly tired of his reputation as Mega Man 5's easiest stage.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Man, I've never played the Game Boy games and this one is making me realize how kinda bland typical Mega Man level design kind of is, simply because they're actually doing creative things in this game! The gimmick of riding the big drills. The exploding bridge segment. And what I thought was really neat was the fakeout where you're dropped into a pit blindly, see the ground to the left go whizzing by only to be caught by an offscreen drill that lifts you back to the land you thought you missed. Then you climb down further and see if the drill hadn't caught you you would have gone straight into a fire pit. It's like an entirely hand-crafted, player-controlled experience I've never seen in a Mega Man game before!
It's like an entirely different game from the rest.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Accurate title for the video, for this stage is, indeed, da bomb. I still remember how "blown away" I was when I first played it. A real explosion of quality and creativity!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The Game Boy games love indoor stages, but this stage did a great job of just mixing things up with the old elements well.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago The Game Boy games love indoor stages, but this stage did a great job of just mixing things up with the old elements well.
As raocow correctly said, all the stages in the second half are supposed to take place inside the giant Wily tank. Why he has a crystal and a TRAIN part in there is anyone's guess, though.

Speaking of the former, welcome to thinkfastistan. I think the obstacles are reasonable enough, but I'm the kind of player who hates waiting around, so I appreciate the rare moment a Mega Man game makes you hurry up. The one where you do have to wait for one pillar to fall, then another one to rise is bullshit, though :D. Definitely a weirdly long and hard level compared to the rest, but it's still imho far better than its NES counterpart. Which is very easy because the crystals now no longer fall randomly, but also the level design is more varied and has better enemy setups, I think.

Speaking of those, how can one man be so bad at dealing with Crystal Joes? I thought I was the impatient one, but I've not seen a single charge shot released at the right time (when the Joe is actually vulnerable) in this video. Ts ts ts.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Oh yeah, the purpose of the WILY letters should be spelled out because it's not obvious under the circumstances.

You have to get them to move forward with the game. They're not some sort of optional bonus.
Money

Post by Money »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago Oh yeah, the purpose of the WILY letters should be spelled out because it's not obvious under the circumstances.

You have to get them to move forward with the game. They're not some sort of optional bonus.
Woah jeez, that's rude
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That was one of the best lose right before the goal moments you've had in a while.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

It's been a very long time since I played through this game, but I feel like I remember doing that bomb race sequence with just the Buster. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

You realized this towards the end, but bigger charge shots are more prone to being deflected because there's a bigger area to hit the deflection points.

You'd probably have gotten more hits in without charging, or only charging just before you jump - most of the hits you actually landed on the second miniboss were half-charged.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

IIRC you can stand on the cannon to shoot the met more easily.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow then proceeded to extend world 3 out for another week
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago IIRC you can stand on the cannon to shoot the met more easily.
Yep, but it's not that obvious. That said, MMIV does let you stand on a few things like that!