(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Re: Mega Man III - Super Challenge Rockman World

Post by FusionWarrior »

ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

"Hey guys, nice going with the GB games but you, uh, kinda forgot to put refights in there?"
"No we didn't 'forget', Capcom, also fuck off."

Proof this is a great game: it features ALL the Mets in a cameo, just because. I'm super glad you had so much fun with this; I did too, and I'm always a little sad when people say the ONLY good GB games are IV and V. Though to be quite honest: IV blows everything you've seen so far out of the water. It's really, REALLY good and I'm much looking forward to it!
Truckeeben

Post by Truckeeben »

*stumbles into the thread 114 videos in*

I was really surprised by how much of a step up in general non-jank Gameboy III is from the previous Gameboy ones. Like even just from the video I can tell it plays better. Although I kinda wish they had saved the wacky "space base nuclear explosion" ending from II and put it in this one instead. That ending was art and deserved to be put at the end of a better game.

(I'm glad we're adding the X's. X8 was my first Megaman and I hate to see it get lumped in with X6 and X7. It kinda has Earthworm Jim 2 syndrome in that "normal gameplay" is about 50/50 with other activities, but it's a good game)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

III was better than I remembered it being watching this series, but it still doesn't have anything on IV or V. I am so excited to see this next one in action tonight. From the moment that opening starts playing, you know it's going to be something.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years ago "Hey guys, nice going with the GB games but you, uh, kinda forgot to put refights in there?"
"No we didn't 'forget', Capcom, also fuck off."
Well, there was a refight...
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Hah. I kinda figured your "let's play the Japanese version of every game!" thing would come back to bite you in the later, more text-heavy games. You may want to rethink that strategy later on. :P

In terms of difficulty, MM4GB is easier than 3, but still generally harder than the later NES games. It's not going to crush your face, but it's not exactly *easy*, either.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Dustinvgmaster
Great Time Champion
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: obj_dustin.id

Post by Dustinvgmaster »

And now... quite possibly the sickest intro cutscene theme.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

ImageImage
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Truckeeben

Re: Mega Man IV - A Rock Ballade of Love

Post by Truckeeben »

Man, the sprites in that intro cutscene kinda broke my face with just how good they were. I'm guessing Dr. Light basically just said "oh man get p chips to get stuff"?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Truckeeben wrote: 6 years ago Man, the sprites in that intro cutscene kinda broke my face with just how good they were. I'm guessing Dr. Light basically just said "oh man get p chips to get stuff"?
Yep. SomeGuy put it in the comments himself:
Mega Man, Dr. Wily has sent his most powerful robots across the world. To combat them, I have invented a new machine to make power items for you. But to make the items, we need to use special energy items called P-chips. Collect as many P-chips as you can and bring them back to the lab. The more chips you collect, the better the item I can make for you.
So the shop that will eventually appear in Mega Man 7 first debuted in this game. That alone makes this one a pretty pivotal title, but you can also see the high production value quality from the moment that opening cutscene starts. As fun as V also is, IV really does have it beat in that department. That said, they're both really good games. Hope you enjoy them, raocow!

And also, that Mega Man 4 boss remix is my favorite boss theme of all the Game Boy games. It kinda rocks.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Welcome to effort town. I think that MMIV is a wonderful example of how it is possible to not just make the same game over and over again, but instead innovate, polish and introduce new concepts organically without changing the tried-and-true formula so much that it's not recognizable as its base product anymore. Another example is, of course, the entirely new X series. But for Classic, this game is a masterpiece that really shows the potential Mega Man has if you as a designer are willing to try stuff.

This is also why I rag on MM6 so much for being a truly uninspired, lazy and forgettable phone-in. MMIV came out way before and should have showed Capcom how it's done (reminder again that this is NOT an in-house game), but it took them until the sole classic SNES game (discounting R&F for now) to actually implement some of the cool things MMIV (and V) brought to the table. Hell, MM7 is so inspired by the GB games that they even emulated the sprite size :V!

About the stage: it's true that there's a lot of copied room layouts, though I'd chalk that down - much like in MMIII - to GB size limitations. One thing to note, though: unlike in MMIII, the rooms are never quite the same. There's new enemy layouts in the same screen geometries, or maybe you enter the screen from the other side, always something to make it fresh.* With one exception: there's three identical moving-bar-over-spikes screens. That's still brilliant, though. Why? Twice the bar moves from right to left, the direction Mega is supposed to take. The third bar, however, moves the other way around. If you're not paying attention and think "ugh I've seen this before", you'll get caught off-guard. It's a super clever little trap that uses repetition as a setup, so it's really not unfair - you will always just trick yourself!

*one could say, if the GB games are already expanded semi-romhacks of the NES games, in those cases, Minakuchi are romhacking themselves.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raocow i think you should start playing the games in English from now on- 5 is even more text-heavy than this, and you WILL want to understand what's going on with the story there!
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years ago This is also why I rag on MM6 so much for being a truly uninspired, lazy and forgettable phone-in. MMIV came out way before and should have showed Capcom how it's done
To be fair, MMIV didn't come out way before.

Mega Man IV release date in Japan: October 29, 1993
Mega Man 6 release date in Japan: November 5, 1993

That's like a week in-between.
Nimono wrote: 6 years ago raocow i think you should start playing the games in English from now on- 5 is even more text-heavy than this, and you WILL want to understand what's going on with the story there!
Also, yes, definitely. Mega Man V has a legit good plot. Supporting.

Do whatever you like about other Mega Man games, but Mega Man V deserves to be played in English.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Nimono wrote: 6 years ago raocow i think you should start playing the games in English from now on- 5 is even more text-heavy than this, and you WILL want to understand what's going on with the story there!
Also, yes, definitely. Mega Man V has a legit good plot. Supporting.

Do whatever you like about other Mega Man games, but Mega Man V deserves to be played in English.
absolutely. Would also help him understand the shop, unlike this game unless he actually swaps languages this time. (which I doubt he will, since...why? he has us to translate for him, so... XD)

By the way! One funny thing I liked about MM5GB is that

if you keep game overing, Dr. Light will power up your charge shot about 3 times total. Totally worth doing right at the start because lol why not.

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

"You can't spell Rockman Three with T".
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Here comes another Chinese earthquake :mmivpassword:
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

This actually isn't the first time you've seen the mini E-Tank, raocow! They're also in Megaman Unlimited! They function the same way, though: Collect four to get a full E-Tank.

Kind of silly how they put a mini E-Tank in that one room, and then put a full E-Tank later in that same room, though.

Moists:

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

So, the passwords in this game are combinations with the letters B, E, and R.

Beat
Eddie
Rush.

Now you know!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoThis actually isn't the first time you've seen the mini E-Tank, raocow! They're also in Megaman Unlimited! They function the same way, though: Collect four to get a full E-Tank.

Kind of silly how they put a mini E-Tank in that one room, and then put a full E-Tank later in that same room, though.
Hasn't he played another Mega Man game fairly recently that had them too? (Maybe that one was Unlimited, I don't recall actually.) Cause I remember him going out of his way to explain what they do.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoThis actually isn't the first time you've seen the mini E-Tank, raocow! They're also in Megaman Unlimited! They function the same way, though: Collect four to get a full E-Tank.

Hasn't he played another Mega Man game fairly recently that had them too? (Maybe that one was Unlimited, I don't recall actually.) Cause I remember him going out of his way to explain what they do.
The only other game I recall that uses them that he'd have played is Unlimited, but I guess they could've been in that weird meme game he played a while back? I dunno, I didn't watch that one.

Moists:

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I never realized how much Bright Man's stage theme did not need an overbearing snare until today.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

For some reason I'm only now realizing that, since this project has apparently been expanded to also encompass the X and Zero series, that means raocow is gonna have to play through Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 on the GBC eventually. That should be fun.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago For some reason I'm only now realizing that, since this project has apparently been expanded to also encompass the X and Zero series, that means raocow is gonna have to play through Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 on the GBC eventually. That should be fun.
...when/where was this decided? First I'm hearing of it.

I hope if he does the X/Zero series, he does so *after* the classic series, though, and not in between. That would be rather jarring, IMO.

Moists:

AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago
AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago For some reason I'm only now realizing that, since this project has apparently been expanded to also encompass the X and Zero series, that means raocow is gonna have to play through Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 on the GBC eventually. That should be fun.
...when/where was this decided? First I'm hearing of it.

I hope if he does the X/Zero series, he does so *after* the classic series, though, and not in between. That would be rather jarring, IMO.
raocow wrote: 6 years ago also: I'm interested in including the zero games, but this depends on one important factor I was never clear on.
Do they follow the same gameplay loop as classic and x of 'choosing from 6 to 8 duder and get a thing', with maybe an intro and a fortress segment
raocow wrote: 6 years ago I guess to rephrase what I actually need to know - can you naturally divide the game up by boss encounters, so that I can divide the game in the same way I'm doing it right now.

becuase if I can, I'mma gonna do it. I'mma gonna add the x's and the zeros to ATMM (not gonna replay the first 3 xs though)
Technically this was the last post raocow made on the subject, so I guess it's not officially official yet, but people already told him around page 38 of the thread that it's totally reasonable to divide the Zero games up the way he wants to, so...

Edit: Actually, there were also these posts in the COMING UP NEXT thread:
raocow wrote: 6 years ago now I keep adding a bunch of things to the megalist and I both hate and love everythign, haha
raocow wrote: 6 years ago why are all the zero boss names so weird

I'm gonna have to get multilangual to make the title gimmick work
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Huh, I never consciously noticed that blackness in Bright Man's stage also turns off the HUD. It has never mattered because you're not gonna die from damage in the stage, but it's far more atmospheric that way! And I thought Minus Infinity came up with the idea on its own...