(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blue

Re: Mega Man 3 (PC) - The Revolting Return

Post by Blue »

Actually, every robot master here except bit man has a canon counterpart. Waveman from 5, Torchman.exe and Sharkman.exe from battle network, Oilman from powered up, Blademan from 10.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's a good thing these bosses are so easy because these levels are not something you'd want to do more than once
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago Actually, every robot master here except bit man has a canon counterpart. Waveman from 5, Torchman.exe and Sharkman.exe from battle network, Oilman from powered up, Blademan from 10.
Torchman was only his name in the anime, he was Fireman in the actual game.

But then again, I guess the anime is at least as canon as Mega Man DOS.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I feel like that Shark Man stage select sprite came from Crash Man. It looks like he shrunk it down and then had to redo some of it during the edit.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

At this point I'm just going to assume that Wave Man and Shark Man are the only two Robot Masters without water-themed levels.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago Actually, every robot master here except bit man has a canon counterpart. Waveman from 5, Torchman.exe and Sharkman.exe from battle network, Oilman from powered up, Blademan from 10.
And Bit was in Mega Man X3, except back then they decided to not have "Man" in a name.
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

I swear, that boxing fish guy looks like something right out of the Commander Keen 4-6 trilogy.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

FWIW you actually can press down and Jump to jump through some platforms (which is how you got out of that high area in Torch Man's stage). You just can't do it with all of them. On the other hand, holding down and rapidly pressing Jump over a solid platform is very cathartic in how Mega Man expresses our feelings of playing this game for us.

Does Doctor Light's super-loud text scroll sound effect startle you every time? Please say yes.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yes
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Man, I wasn't expecting raocow to become this noticeably irritated until like the fifth or sixth stage.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years agoDoes Doctor Light's super-loud text scroll sound effect startle you every time? Please say yes.
Why would anyone think such a horrifically grating sound would ever be a good design decision to begin with?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

So I think four or maybe even five of the six bots can only attack from the left side of the screen, so they can be goaded into just hopping around the middle of the room if need be. Also, this stage is a visual mess. It's already tough to see the rebounding lasers normally, but the gray on light blue just frustrates my eyes to no end.

Congrats for getting through the one stage of this I played. I couldn't see me doing the whole game without getting annoyed at being knocked through platforms that much.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago So I think four or maybe even five of the six bots can only attack from the left side of the screen, so they can be goaded into just hopping around the middle of the room if need be.
They can attack from either corner of the room, he just hasn't been goading them over to the right side.

It's also only four, one of them attacks whenever the fuck he wants and one of them has a completely different pattern from everyone else.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Wait, did this level actually have some thematic connection to its boss? Waaaaaay to be predictable, dood!

In other news, I non-ironically love the fact that that one line from the Donkey Kong Rap is apparently applicable to any and all situations.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Hey rao, is it harder to talk during the Megaman DOS games because there's on music to play when you're not talking, so if you don't stop talking there will just be weird silence, and the sounds of a computer chugging along?
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

not really I don't think. but man is there nothing to say about mega man 3 dos iii
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

That large energy in the water near the end that you got super amused and confused by? You could have grabbed it at the very very beginning of the level if you had taken the ladder down into the water instead of going up onto the boat platform.

Why the game rewards you with a large energy for taking the wrong path at the very beginning of the level is beyond me. :megamandos3: I guess.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I have to say, I found the tilesets in today's level particularly hard to parse.
Like, just take a look at this still image and try to figure out what anything is and/or how they will interact with Mega Man:
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

You know, initially I thought the large, maze-like stages in this game were kinda neat, but... with no kind of save/continue system whatsoever, this makes for a really long, tedious game. The only real saving grace is that the game seems *really* easy, with enemies not respawning and doing very little damage, bosses being very basic and dumb, and health pickups being plentiful, so it's not like dying is all that likely.

Fortunately, it generally only gets better from here. It's not exactly my *favorite* game in the series, but the sheer jump in quality from this game to Megaman 5 will be *super* refreshing. And the later GB games are much better than 1 and 2 (though 3 and 4 are pretty dang hard in places).
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, there's not much to talk about. The worst enemies in the game are both types of turrets. The bosses are almost all the same. The levels all have this offshore facility feel to it. It's like this was an adventure game before it changed into Mega Man. I do like "Hazmat Hank", though. That design gets me every time I see him running around with his toxic suit on.

Tomorrow should be one of the fun ones to watch.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This giant ship level was the one I saw a shot of in full, and I think it's really fascinating:

Because it doesn't actually just suggest a ship, or ship parts, it is a ship. It's clear that the map came first, and then a path as winding as possible was laid through it, with many dead ends added just to fill up the space necessary to make the level conform the map. It's a super weird way of designing a platformer, but I kind of admire the dedication to function follows form. It obviously makes for a terrible playing experience, but it's kind of uncompromising art, in a way.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Wow, that's actually really neat. Where'd you find that image? I'd be curious to see more (particularly a map of tonight's stage).

EDIT: In thinking about it some, I think the level design issues would be a lot less annoying if (a) the player knew, going into the game, that they would be dealing with maze-like levels instead of standard straight-forward Mega Man fare, and (b) the game ran at a speed between molasses slow and lightning fast. It's a lot less stressful to explore a platform maze if it takes you only 5 minutes to get through the whole thing instead of 10-15.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Wow, that's actually really neat. Where'd you find that image? I'd be curious to see more (particularly a map of tonight's stage).

EDIT: In thinking about it some, I think the level design issues would be a lot less annoying if (a) the player knew, going into the game, that they would be dealing with maze-like levels instead of standard straight-forward Mega Man fare, and (b) the game ran at a speed between molasses slow and lightning fast. It's a lot less stressful to explore a platform maze if it takes you only 5 minutes to get through the whole thing instead of 10-15.
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PC/index.htm#M
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

that is such a cool map, wow

mmDOSiii has done something cool, even if it hampers gameplay, who would have thought
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

What is with the tube leading to an underwater base? That ship wouldn't be able to move or it would leave Wave Man behind.

Or is Wave Man inside of an anchor?