(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mea

Re: Mega Man 4 - The Best Downfall Ever!

Post by Mea »

Giik wrote: 6 years ago
AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote:People don't really care about Inafune anymore, though.
Man, it's really a shame that Inafune went and burned his bridges with Capcom (thus seemingly killing the Mega Man franchise outside of old game collections and mobile games of dubious quality), and then also kinda killed his own reputation via Mighty No. 9 (and whatever happened with that Red Ash kickstarter).
That combined with Y-L not being the greatest thing is making me think that just because a dev worked on a really old but amazing game/series doesn't mean that they can repeat that...
I hear he was involved with the Azure Striker Gunvolt series (which I love), though I don't know how much he was involved in it that series is really great
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man II - Quint, but not Essential

Post by Bean »

I think he was a consultant at most for ASG, but yeah, MN9 pretty much took away his goodwill. That's saying something since Capcom hasn't exactly been on a roll the last couple of years either.

And this game sure does have some noise that might resemble music. That boss song is straight up garbage when it gets to the part before it loops. I mean, you're going to take hits in this game, but the game does seem to be generous with the item drops to make up for things. Programming wise, the only thing I like is how when you pick up a pellet that there isn't that delay. You can just keep going. I think MM8 is the only other classic series game that doesn't have that brief stop.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So are you really committed to doing reverse boss order, even for the games you haven't played?
This at the very least won't be possible with R&F since they switched up the boss select screen to put some bosses as prerequisites to others. But you also probably really don't want to do reverse boss order with that game cause it's... Hard...
Bean wrote: 6 years agoProgramming wise, the only thing I like is how when you pick up a pellet that there isn't that delay. You can just keep going. I think MM8 is the only other classic series game that doesn't have that brief stop.
I like that freeze. Gives you a moment with time frozen where you're like "yeah, got the health"
I don't know. It makes it more satisfying or something. In MM8 whenever I pick up health it feels like there's no substance to it. Whatever that means.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well yeah RnF is really weird and obviously I won't be able to do it. Same with games that start with an early 4 and a late 4 like mm7
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

What about playing the 8 bit versions of 7 and 8? Look up Rockman 7 FC and Rockman 8 FC. They are incredibly faithful but don't split up the bosses. Or maybe you could play them some other time when you aren't doing this marathon.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Something like those would probably be good for twitch streams if he ever did those.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Someone in the YT comments mentioned this, and...

Yeah, major improvements.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I believe what happened with the music is that the composer wrote the music on the sheet, sent it to developers, and developers inserted it into a game with wrong pitch. Like, the music is actually pretty good just inserted completely wrong which is unfortunate.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I do remember at one point someone went and hacked MMII so that the music played an octave or so lower and - lo and behold - they sounded not-bad. Don't remember who it was though.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

If the volume is going to be drastically reduced in the videos then it should be drastically increased here to compensate.
raocow wrote: 6 years ago Same with games that start with an early 4 and a late 4 like mm7
If you don't mind skipping the Museum farce-of-a-stage, the password 1755-8187-6486-2322 will give you access to all eight stages at the very beginning. Just make sure you use save states or whatever instead of passwords, since they won't work right until you beat the normal first four bosses.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I just want to see them played normally! No special passwords, no demakes. The Game Boy games from here on out are basically the precursor to what goes on in MM7 and MM8 anyway.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah sorry but you know by now that I'm playing everything 'as it was back in the day'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

It doesn't really make a difference to me, I just wanted to point out that it's possible. Particularly since the only thing one really misses by skipping the Museum is the "stage" music.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I think Crash Man was throwing the badges from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Air Man's song is pretty good until it gets to the part where it's about to loop. A lot of songs in this go from almost tolerable to ouch on those loops. Guess it is the instrumentation and all, but I don't know. Either way, it's nowhere near close to the remixes the GB games will get in the next couple of games. Maybe they should've stuck to that plan instead of trying to create their own soundtrack.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Huh. The jumping rooster bots in Woodman's stage were actually one of the few regular enemies who were *immune* to the Metal Blade in the NES version. Strange to see them one-shotting them in this game.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Getting 2 tornadoes for sale sounds like a serious challenge; I have a hard time believing you.

I haven't played any of the Game Boy Mega Men, but this one seems... worse than Mega Man 8. Which is kind of expected from a handheld, really. But it still seems not too terrible, regardless. I'd tolerate this any day of the week.

Also, yes... this seems rather deviant from Mega Man 2 mechanics. In fact, it's more like 3...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That fortress is so silly looking. It looks like the two pillars are connected together underneath are holding up the turtle-shaped castle. If those pillars went away, it's going to topple over and crumble.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago That fortress is so silly looking. It looks like the two pillars are connected together underneath are holding up the turtle-shaped castle. If those pillars went away, it's going to topple over and crumble.
It also has the ... uh, "best" song in the game. Gotta love that fifteen second "ear assault" loop. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote: 6 years agoAlso, yes... this seems rather deviant from Mega Man 2 mechanics. In fact, it's more like 3...
The GB game series in general does that - III mechanically plays more like 4 than 3, and IV draws more heavily from 5's design philosophy than from 4's. It's just most noticeable with II since you get to slide while fighting Air Man.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Is the music in the JP version worse than the US version? I don't remember it sounding THAT bad, but I vaguely remember being told about that being true.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago Is the music in the JP version worse than the US version? I don't remember it sounding THAT bad, but I vaguely remember being told about that being true.
apparently not.
Mea

Post by Mea »

the megaman experience seems so much more fluid and unstuttery without the health gain pauses that I have to wonder how much more fluid and immersive the mario experience would be without the constant power up pauses either.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I got a chuckle out of that first round with Hard Man tonight. It wasn't getting cornered, but it was then sliding back into being cornered when he gave you a small chance to escape. Still, I think you can Fire Man nearly every boss in this one. It's been nearly eight years since I've played it, though, so don't hold me to that.