(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blue

Re: Mega Man 3 - Classic Rock vs. Blues

Post by Blue »

wait what the fuck

Needleman is the SINGLE character they use multiple palettes for? Look at his boss healthbar. It's different. Red and white instead of red and yellow. Matches the red dot on his chest.

why
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I talk about Needle Man. He was always my favorite Robot Master of the Mega man 3 bunch. He doesn't need you, and he will knead you in to oblivion with his glorious spring-loaded crown. Kneedl before your king, slave.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

(I forgot how good Magnet Man's theme is... shows how long it's been since I last played...)
Needle Man's stage is actually pretty perfect to show off the Search Snakes (that we will see later)... the hard-curved architecture is perfect for them to slither around, particularly on the first section. Also, that porcupine that rolls down to you... you want to stay up on its level to dodge it. Now KILLING the spined monstrosity is another matter entirely, as that narrow pit is enough to sustain it. Probably just worth it to ignore it, and beeline for the E-Tank.

Needle Man himself certainly is a king... though he was eschewed in normal conversation in favor of dudes like Quick Man. (And I didn't make the
king connection until now...) Regardless, he's both difficult to tank AND moves rather unpredictably with his hops, making him a difficult buster duel, and the actual most difficult one in MM3. This will come up multiple times in the series for some of the most difficult Robot Masters. What you see is what you get with Needle Man; 100 spikes aimed straight at Mega Man's torso. My best advice for taking him out safely is to not get cornered, and try to get a feel for leading his own needle cannon.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I don't understand why the floor in Needle Man's boss room is lower than other boss rooms. He can jump high, but not high enough for the lowered floor to be relevant.
raocow wrote: the rules are incredibly strick, but TMBG is one of those 'jump at the opportunity if it ever happens' band.
Well, you missed "You're on Fire" as an option, but there's a perfect opportunity coming up in eleven or so videos:

Robot Parade (for the eight teleport rooms)

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

are those songs released in 1990 though ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago are those songs released in 1990 though ?
Ohhhh, I had not fully grasped the extent of the rules.

There might be options later in the series though. I'll check.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: 6 years ago are those songs released in 1990 though ?
Ohhhh, I had not fully grasped the extent of the rules.

There might be options later in the series though. I'll check.
Got an option for you for MM5, although I suppose it warrants an asterisk:

"My Evil Twin" (for final Darkman level), on Apollo 18 album, released 1992

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Needle Man theme best theme
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I can't remember if it was previously mentioned but it's also worth noting Mega Man 3 is the game that finally fixed the painfully slow ladder climbing seen in 1 and 2.
Except the game runs at half speed most of the time so it cancels out.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Posted without comment.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

I mean, Gemini is associated with twins and duality, so Gemini Man for the boss that splits in two makes sense. What's confusing is how a bouncing laser factors into it at all; I think the answer is something something mirrors, but it honestly feels like it was just tacked on so that Mega Man would have something to take from them. Though the ability to make a duplicate Mega Man would have been so much cooler...
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

It's so weird how Snake Man's stage just randomly ends in a tiny little sky section for no reason. Whenever I think of Snake Man's level I always think "yeah it's the one with the snakes" but never remember the weird out of place Air Man revisit.

Snake Man is one of the better fights in the series in my opinion. He's pretty fun and actually feels like one of the few bosses where you actually get better once you learn his pattern, and there's not really some "trick" to figure out. Just pure pattern learning.
Or at the very least, like most good things in this game, he would be a great if it didn't run at half speed.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So Doc Scratch is the name of the next guy Rao will be fighting, right?

What's his deal? Is he a 9th Robot Master? Something else entirely? Why can he use the others' weapons? What's his story?

All I have to go on is Day in The Limelight 2.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I always assumed those weird white hopping enemies at the start of the stage were, like, rampaging urinals or something. It makes about as much sense as anything in this level.

Snake Man himself is perhaps the clearest instance of how damage from the boss's projectile tends to be preferable to contact damage from the boss proper. The Search Snakes themselves are honestly fairly to dodge, whereas Snake Man himself can be a good deal more awkward to avoid thanks to the room's geometry, and if you get cornered, the best solution can be to get intentionally hit by a snake to avoid contact damage and rush through him to seek the higher ground. As noted last video, a number of the boss projectiles here seem a bit tacked on the give Mega Man some weapon to obtain from the boss, but this is perhaps the only one that is not just mostly irrelevant, but (kinda-sorta) works to your advantage.

Also raocow, you can't claim to not know what Doc Robots are yet somehow realize that Dr. Wily is actually the true villain. The former is a surprise, sure, but that latter was a shocking twist no one could have possibly predicted, as witnessed by the lack of logo above the doors and Mega Man's head at the center of the stage select. Get your alibis straight, dood.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

... I never got a new car from one of those "?" boxes... :cry:
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Finally, a valid excuse to post this (as opposed to when I normally post it for no reason).

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I remember seeing a video a while back where it was like "Mega Man 3 but with voices for instruments." I can't find it now, but they basically replaced all the instruments and sound effects with a font of someone singing or something. And I remember they went into Snake Man's stage so I always here the weird voice version of Snake Man's song in my head when it plays.

I wish I could find that video now.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I've always really liked Snake Man. His design is interesting, his stage is great (and so is the music), and his weapon is the first wall climbing weapon, which is a kind of weapon I like.
Ashan wrote: I remember seeing a video a while back where it was like "Mega Man 3 but with voices for instruments." I can't find it now, but they basically replaced all the instruments and sound effects with a font of someone singing or something. And I remember they went into Snake Man's stage so I always here the weird voice version of Snake Man's song in my head when it plays.

I think this might be what you're talking about.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 6 years ago I've always really liked Snake Man. His design is interesting, his stage is great (and so is the music), and his weapon is the first wall climbing weapon, which is a kind of weapon I like.
Ashan wrote: I remember seeing a video a while back where it was like "Mega Man 3 but with voices for instruments." I can't find it now, but they basically replaced all the instruments and sound effects with a font of someone singing or something. And I remember they went into Snake Man's stage so I always here the weird voice version of Snake Man's song in my head when it plays.

I think this might be what you're talking about.

That's Hatsune Miku! That's a semi-lazy NSF-to-Midi-to-Vocaloid port!
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

By the way, the reason for this "enter new horizontal section, backtrack a bit" thing is well... related to screen scrolling and game wanting to ensure that nothing that is offscreen is ever rendered.

Consider a following rather lame Mega Man level. Green is a wall, solid black rectangles are offscreen parts.
megaman.png
megaman.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
While Mega Man is moving down, it's not possible to set up screen in such a way that offscreen parts aren't visible. As such, if a vertical transition from horizontal level to another horizontal level is needed, it's needed to provide a ladder either early (before horizontal room ends) or late (after horizontal room begins). Alternatively it's possible to provide a single screen transition room (entered from right and exited from left).

Additionally, none of official Mega Man NES games* can recenter Mega Man after a vertical screen transition, which forces level designer to do require some backtracking from player in order to manually center Mega Man - otherwise player could be right side of a screen and have much less time to react to obstacles.

* Interestingly Rockman 4 Minus Infinity and Rockman & Forte actually CAN recenter Mega Man after a vertical screen transition. However, the first one is a ROM hack, and the second one is a SNES game which tries to avoid depending on this as level design is normally careful enough to avoid having to recenter after screen transition (curiously even more so than other Mega Man games), it's pretty much only noticeable when you DESTROY THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING INSIDE (TAS).
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Additionally, none of official Mega Man NES games* can recenter Mega Man after a vertical screen transition, which forces level designer to do require some backtracking from player in order to manually center Mega Man - otherwise player could be right side of a screen and have much less time to react to obstacles.
That's interesting. It must have been MM3 where they realized this because that's an issue in the Wily 6 in MM2. If you just hold right during the long vertical shaft, you end up way on the right side of the screen and have to run back left a bit to get the screen centered on you again. Or if you played the game before you take advantage of how far right you are because the lava drips are timed to fall on you in roughly the amount of time between them spawning and Mega Man getting to it. So if you're on the right there's never any danger of having them drip on you if you just keep moving right.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

what a cool, detailed explanation :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Additionally, none of official Mega Man NES games* can recenter Mega Man after a vertical screen transition, which forces level designer to do require some backtracking from player in order to manually center Mega Man - otherwise player could be right side of a screen and have much less time to react to obstacles.
And the cleanest way for the level designer to do this is to always make sure that every vertical section has at least one intervening screen of content that is purely vertical, during which Mega Man naturally moves from right to left. And in fact, every single stage in MM1 and MM2 does exactly that (with the sole and glaring exception of MM2 Wily 6 as noted above). It isn't until MM3 that we start seeing those vertical transitions "collapse" into these one-screen backtracking-for-no-apparent-reason twists.