(shouting)

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

Post by Lazy_ »

Fatal Descent
This level complements perfect alibi as it is the name of a mystery novel by John Dickson Carr & John Rhode in which a man is killed at a distance while he is descending in a lift (so the murderer is also on another floor).
Morsel states that he is actually quite pleased with thie originality of this cape level.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Sorry for the silly question, but what does the "m/m" mean in the description?
Money

Post by Money »

General_Urist wrote: 6 years ago Sorry for the silly question, but what does the "m/m" mean in the description?
morsel/morceau
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

money/man, clearly
Mosts Awards:
Blue

Post by Blue »

That cape level could have been significantly improved by following the Mario gimmick formula.
1) Introduce gimmick in a place where there's no real punishment for failing
2) Use gimmick in a place where you die if you screw up
3) Give a new twist to the gimmick.

raocow died a LOT to that last bit before the goalpost because it introduced a never-before-seen gimmick in a way that killed you for screwing up, and he had no idea how it worked or behaved. Having a similar setup earlier in the level where the punishment for failing it is 'try again' would have probably not lead to those deaths!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

This is the post game. It doesn't have to be nice like that.

It has already been not nice
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago That cape level could have been significantly improved by following the Mario gimmick formula.

raocow died a LOT to that last bit before the goalpost because it introduced a never-before-seen gimmick in a way that killed you for screwing up, and he had no idea how it worked or behaved. Having a similar setup earlier in the level where the punishment for failing it is 'try again' would have probably not lead to those deaths!
This is good principle for designing a game that isn't YUMP. Hopefully some intrepid hackers making a difficult game get inspired by some of YUMP's more bizarre mechanics, reskin and explain them and allow you to assemble them a little more gradually and gracefully than this throw-into-deep-end approach, which is reliant on players being perfectly familiar with the intricacies of cape flight.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I like how the level was a big build-up to achieving flight within the 1st screen of the level.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago That cape level could have been significantly improved by following the Mario gimmick formula.
Not to comment on the level itself, but there's a fourth part that can be added to this formula:
4) Entertain the player with the gimmick one last time at the end, typically with an easier challenge so there's a wind down in difficulty. While not necessary for all levels, it's a good way to make the level feel whole and complete if there isn't anything special at the end, like a boss fight.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Heck, you could probably add in a 5th of "Stick to 1 Gimmick" there too.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but raocow, the reason you didn't get flight in the final section sometimes is because you were jumping too late. Maybe you figured that out in a clip that didn't make it into the final cut, but the way transferring flight between screen transitions works is that you have to have launched your flight within some number of frames before entering the transition (can't remember the number) and jump within a certain amount of frames on the other end of the transition (also can't remember the number)
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Heck, you could probably add in a 5th of "Stick to 1 Gimmick" there too.
It's assumed that it's only about one gimmick though. However, there are good ways to incorporate multiple gimmicks, even if it takes a higher level of skill to make it work well.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

TIM BURTON PRESENTS
The youtube comments have already pointed out what the level name alludes to. In the second half, the intended maneuver is this, but it can be done in a bunch of different ways too.
raocow: the next level is an insane glitch puzzle. if you can't figure it out, just use a game genie code to skip it instead of bashing your head against it for ten hours
also lol @ the serious level design discussion up there
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

TB Presents looked deceivingly simple.
You jump on a couple moving shell enemies. Checkpoint. Juggle a shell for a screen, swap stuff around, two more jumps and done.

Compared to last m/m level (fatal decent), the second part there was also pretty much a single room that took a while.
That room with the cape stuff looked more complex to me though because it used more non basic mario actions.

Idk, I kinda like these sorta condensed levels.
I thought m/m was known for making really long stuff, but maybe I'm just misremembering.
For example, I doubt I would enjoy a bunch of these complications in a row, but they are fun and interesting like this.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

M/M levels are less "long" and moreso "do a lot of precise things that are maybe too precise for SMW", from my general remembering of what M/M levels are like. It works a bit better for this level because it's otherwise fairly short, so it's just one, tough, precise puzzle rather than a medium length series of "do this perfectly or die" sorts of things I'm more used to from him. Still not my kind of level but it does what it does well enough I think?

Talking on the Talkhaus after not doing so for like over a year or more feels weird.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

That seems to be true of his YUMP levels, but it's certainly not true of levels like Manky Bridge.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I just love m/m's level design. Inventive, tricky and tightly made setpieces every time. The only issue is usually that he puts a lot of them in, one after another, each just as precise and clever as the one before it, and learning them takes time and effort. But no matter how hard they are or how long they take, I've yet to play or see an m/m level that wasn't ultimately satisfying in execution and payoff.
it's the dark souls of mario levels
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

asdf i completely missed you can bring silver P-Switch and a shell into dino rhino room... how did i miss that

yes, the intended method to do this level was to hit a block with 2 P-Switches, grats on beating the level and finding an alternate solution :)... now just one level, - EXIT - is left... or is it one?
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

BRANCHY
who cares my level is next lol good luck have fun raocow thanks for playing yump
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

BRANCHY
This level was heavily inspired by Super Puzzle World 3 (GlitchMr describes this level as a savestateless SPW3 level), but the puzzles in this level have a much smaller number of elements than SPW3 puzzles as he wasn't really a fan of the red herrings of SPW3. GlitchMr first became interested in submitting a puzzle after seeing QubicTom's puzzle level. Back when he was playing SMW ROM hacks, he had lots of problems with NO GOAL in VIP3, so he wanted to have a similar experience in the postgame of YUMP.

The first half of the puzzle actually comes from a ROM hack he made in 2012 and never finished. The level was properly finished for YUMP. the original version used MSU-1 to have a high quality music track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtbVEnUCzw), but this was removed for the YUMP version. Other than that, the first half is pretty much exactly like it was in 2012 with the exception of fixing the broken kaizo trap (previously you could block yourself from entering the pipe after collect the goal orb using a p-switch).

This level is a massive homage to FORKY from Cool Or Cruel. Many of BRANCHY's elements were directly taken from FORKY, such as visuals, music, sprites, and even parts of the level design. It's even followed by a castle level on the overworld map. If you haven't seen the FORKY videos, do watch them - this level makes so much more sense in context.
good luck & don't get your hopes up. also the level after bowsbers isn't an actual level so no need to save it for the next video
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Man, that was a lot of fun to watch. I couldn't believe half an hour had passed when it was over.
I personally don't care for playing puzzle levels myself (though admittedly I haven't tried in years), especially when there's some precision involved and repeating of said precision if you mess up later, but they're really fun to watch the solution unfold.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Well that's another new glitch I've never heard of. Man, doing vanilla shenanigans is fascinating given how many of these tucked away glitches people make use of. Of course game design-wise it'd make more sense to warn the player they exist in some way but this is YUMP so there's absolutely no actual expectation of that, huh. Oh well.

I guess the only thing I'd complain about is hiding the key offscreen like that but I guess it also prompts the player to actually maybe attempt to jump over the top at some point. What a weird double-grab glitch P-switch puzzle level thing.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

For all you guys complaining about the key thing
Mosts Awards:
Money

Post by Money »

So is raocow gonna be doing hello and goodbye?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I was wondering that too.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000