(shouting)

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: YUMP - Yeah! Updated Mthe Pthread

Post by Ivy »

It's definitely a suitable gatekeeper to the red switch and Things that are enabled by it
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Holy wrote: 6 years ago I dunno, I don't have a problem with this level (besides the title). It sucks to see rao, like, past the end of his rope - but I don't think I've ever seen such a perfectly constructed disregard for all things fun in a video game before. It is not flashy, it is not like "hey check out how difficult this is," it is just plain, extremely basic, extremely tiresome Hard Thing. And I think that's cool.

EVEN BETTER that it impedes progress (to the red switch, at least). That gives it more impact.
"It's good that it's terrible" sure is a take.
Holy

Post by Holy »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years ago
Holy wrote: 6 years ago I dunno, I don't have a problem with this level (besides the title). It sucks to see rao, like, past the end of his rope - but I don't think I've ever seen such a perfectly constructed disregard for all things fun in a video game before. It is not flashy, it is not like "hey check out how difficult this is," it is just plain, extremely basic, extremely tiresome Hard Thing. And I think that's cool.

EVEN BETTER that it impedes progress (to the red switch, at least). That gives it more impact.
"It's good that it's terrible" sure is a take.
In the context of YUMP, yeah. Obviously this would be dumb anywhere else.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Dang. Playing this for 3 hours must be excruciatingly boring.

I think raocow was playing this level mostly without the run button, but it definitely helps to use the run button:

raocow has been handling the hell levels pretty well up to now (neon city, etc.), so the fact that we ran into this barrier so late in the game is somewhat fortunate.
Mosts Awards:
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Re: MYUP - Mmmmmh... YUM!

Post by Kapus »

this game fricking betrayed me
stormie
formerly maou shoujo
Pronouns: she/her

Post by stormie »

Jesus. I have no idea how that level could get accepted. If I had been part of the dev team, I would put a hard no on including it in that form. But alas, I am not a dev, but merely a long-time lurker who selectively watches a series or not based on interest in the game.

I'm interested in YUMP for as many have said, the kind of weird creativity that comes out of allowing janky ideas to flourish. Part of the problem with this level is that it's just this completely one-note thing that goes way too far. It's like you have a album of weird experimental music, that doesn't always sound great but still has interesting use of meter or samples... Then you suddenly have one track that is just holding every single key on the keyboard simultaneously, with the volume cranked up so high as to physically hurt your eardrums.

It's not even the difficulty that gets to me, so much as how it's done. Just so monotonous, grinding you down by brute force.
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

people are upset at a level
people are upset with a title

im disappointed in the rant near the end
when saying that you should stop making videos because you should "actually make an actual impact on actual people," you're directly insulting yourself and all of us
We're actual people.
You actually impact us.

i know this wasn't the intentions of the statment, and i know it was left in the video for "this is how upset the level made me" reasons, but still. it hurt.

I was in a bad mood when I made this post. Sorry.

Last edited by Reb 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
コンコン
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

Reb wrote: 6 years ago when saying that you should stop making videos because you should "actually make an actual impact on actual people," you're directly insulting yourself and all of us
We're actual people.
You actually impact us.
He was saying that because he felt the video wouldn't be positively affecting any of his viewers. Not the people who come to him for happy go lucky good feels, not the people that enjoy angrycow, not the people that enjoy the interesting level design and his commentary on it, etc. He didn't feel the video really appealed to anyone. In his own words, "who is this video even for."
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

okay for the record, when I said that I wasn't talking about making videos in general. I was thinking of this particular video of yump38.mkv
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

yump more like DUMP

HEH
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago okay for the record, when I said that I wasn't talking about making videos in general. I was thinking of this particular video of yump38.mkv
I know. I understood that. Like I said, I knew that wasn't the intentions of the statement.
But the sentiment comes off harsher once you hit the part of formatting the hard drive and changing jobs.
Other people in this thread have gone out of their way to reassure you in this thread for the same rant. That's a sign that I'm not the only one that felt it came off this way. I just felt hurt where they felt they should soothe.

which is selfish of me, but I by default don't soothe people for self deprecating when it hurts others due to personal experiences, sorry

コンコン
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Reb wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: 6 years ago okay for the record, when I said that I wasn't talking about making videos in general. I was thinking of this particular video of yump38.mkv
I know. I understood that. Like I said, I knew that wasn't the intentions of the statement.
But the sentiment comes off harsher once you hit the part of formatting the hard drive and changing jobs.
Other people in this thread have gone out of their way to reassure you in this thread for the same rant. That's a sign that I'm not the only one that felt it came off this way. I just felt hurt where they felt they should soothe.

which is selfish of me, but I by default don't soothe people for self deprecating when it hurts others due to personal experiences, sorry

Dude, the word is called "empathy". People feel bad because they see someone else feeling bad. Choosing to blame that person is bad judgement.

I guess you'd rather raocow just be dishonest and hide his negative feelings so that you don't have to see them, but I don't think many would agree with you.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Today was fine because 38 looks like a sad face, but 39 is more like one of your eyeballs has fallen off. Now the game itself won't feel as bad as it did yesterday because your eye is gone instead. Also, seeing Donut Plains 1 turned into that was kind of weird!
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Well, Speedy Speedy was interesting. One thing I like about YUMP is that it makes creative use of obscure glitches.

The Canyon of Spellcheck's Bane wasn't spectacular, but it seemed to actually be fun. Very YUMPy, unlike Gay Shit. Great to see raocow having fun again ^_^
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Classtoise wrote: 6 years ago
Tyty wrote: 6 years ago So why was everyone non-sarcastically telling me this was a good hack again?

I think the super mixed messages during development were the problem here. "Supposed to be bad" "supposed to make people angry" and "janky and ugly but fun" are all VERY different ideas and it's kinda created a hack that's all over the place with some high highs and some -very- low lows. I'm kinda glad I'm not playing this, but I really feel bad raocow had to go through it.
I think it was supposed to be "aesthetically bad" as the gag with occasional questionable design decisions.

I'm guessing whoever made this level blew someone and that's why his got accepted.
According to Idol and Lazy, if I'm understanding them correctly, levels like this were the original intention behind YUMP- something a random person who just found Lunar Magic might make and upload to YouTube as "MY FIRST MARIO LEVEL!!!" that is actually really, really bad and barely enjoyable if at all. But then others made interesting levels with the same aesthetic but actually cool gimmicks and ideas, and that ended up being the focus. Thus, people end up playing it and think "Oh man, it's a hack about cool ideas not held back by good visuals!" or "lol funny things :D" and then they hit the endgame and start getting furious about the legit awful levels and think they've been "lied" to, or that the quality's gone down.

It's what makes me sad about YUMP. It went in with an identity, and came out as something no one can agree upon
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

speedy speed boy
Inspired by this level. The name is the name of an Initial D song and the text at the end are the lyrics to that song.
desolaete canoyn
This is Donut Plains 1 but swapped to a vertical level mode with various munchers added. This level used to be much harder (in a bad way) but it was nerfed at the last second. There were a lot more blind jumps and sprite issues and you could softlock yourself at the end incredibly easily. You can still softlock at the end if you ledge drill through the bottom using the throw blocks, but you have to go out of your way to do that. There's also a yoshi filter at the beginning specifically since I pointed out that the old version wasn't even that bad because you could just bring a yoshi.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

thanks to yump, I now understand and can do kaizo gates reliably. THANKS, YUMP!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mister Apple
Officially proclaimed 'wildly unfunny '.

Post by Mister Apple »

I never realised how funny the pre-spitting animation of the fire lotus* is.
*or whatever they're called
Diggertron
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Diggertron »

GAY SHT was a perfect simulation of the feeling of licking sandpaper for four hours.
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Diggertron wrote: 6 years agoGAY SHT was a perfect simulation of the feeling of licking sandpaper for four hours.
I assume you're speaking from personal experience?
Diggertron
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Diggertron »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Diggertron wrote: 6 years agoGAY SHT was a perfect simulation of the feeling of licking sandpaper for four hours.
I assume you're speaking from personal experience?
Well no, thankfully I've been spared from that much pain and boredom.
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.
Rex Ganymede
oi! notice me, kouhai!!
First name: Old Rexxie

Post by Rex Ganymede »

can i yump in here to inquire?

sammy?

why did you feel you had to complete **y Shit?

i mean.. ..don't get me wrong: being able to witness the "unfiltered," "family"-unfriendly version of you was, to proclaim the least of my Sentiments on the matter, exhilarating — even if this reveal came about, through, what surely had to be a PTSD-inducing experience for you

on the other hand: how many times, by now, have we-all collectively encouraged you, samuel, to cheese the very fuck out of a level that was shitty, or, was being shitty to you?
as, granted — it strikes me as being quite true, that a person with a little more finesse likely coulda bested that level in, maybe, 10, 20, 30 minutes...

and, i totes get it: sam, you felt, deep in you, you could finesse GS, with your own skill.
a sentiment, also, that is true.
as it is also correct, you coulda stopped playing it, as soon as you'd felt compelled to unleash your 2nd "f"-bomb

which really should be a new rule fer yuh — as soon as that 3rd "f***" comes flying from out of your lips, in spite of yourself, or when you play for 40 minutes, but already know you have only 15 minutes salvageable footage at that juncture — take a break.
move on to voxotron or copy kitty, or megaman x4, if you must

** p.s. — you-all should really be afraid, rather, if the raocow starts letting loose with the b-bomb, on 📸

fuck "fuck" and "shit" — bitch almost always imparts more negative connotations, when employed, than those former two
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i miss voxatron