(shouting)

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
nathanisbored

Re: YUMP - Yeah! Updated Mthe Pthread

Post by nathanisbored »

*hugs the raocow*
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Divemissile wrote: 6 years ago that level was just pure not fun, wow :/. i don't even know how the author (no hate meant towards them) could even think this is ok, it's just so visibly awful even as a joke. raocow's outburst was justified but it still made me sad :(
They used gay in a derogatory manner, fuck 'em.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Man, that was painful to watch.

I know pretty much everything in the video was said in the...banal nihilism of the moment (that's a thing, right?), but I'll just go ahead and also reaffirm that, yes, raocow, there is a point to you continuing to make videos. They (usually) bring entertainment and joy to many people, and the world would be a slightly sadder place without you/them.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years agoLet's list the wrong things this level has done:
  • Munchers everywhere
  • Ice Physics
  • Demand of precision-based movement
  • Use of repetitive maneuvers
  • Random Eiree generator
  • One tile jumps
  • Strict time limit
All of this in one screen. I know the level is horrible enough, but imagine adding other factors to make things worse, like fog, or lava tiles instead of munchers, or an enemy at the bottom of each path. Let's just be thankful that this is over and that we found the red switch (for better or worse, I dunno).
If they'd at least replaced the eerie generator with something like bullet bill cannons that are actually predictable and given it a reasonable time limit or no time limit at all it would've been at least tolerably difficult. All of those things together though are just a serious dick move. The eeries in particular are an extremely poor design decision. You're given a very strict time limit yet they're chaotic enough that sometimes you simply have no chance to finish within the time limit because of how they spawned.

Whole level just left me feeling bad for raocow having to play through that garbage.
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

It was so wierd seeing the rao curse. Can't blame him though, that level seemed way too unreasonable.
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

So why was everyone non-sarcastically telling me this was a good hack again?

I think the super mixed messages during development were the problem here. "Supposed to be bad" "supposed to make people angry" and "janky and ugly but fun" are all VERY different ideas and it's kinda created a hack that's all over the place with some high highs and some -very- low lows. I'm kinda glad I'm not playing this, but I really feel bad raocow had to go through it.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I think what this level lacked was the Mondo tide and a few podoboos

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So is today an f-bomb record for any individual raocow video?

Last one I personally even can recall was that one Metroidvania cat girl game? Might have been Touhou themed or something? I can't even remember what it was called. But I remember a "fucking hell"
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoLast one I personally even can recall was that one Metroidvania cat girl game? Might have been Touhou themed or something? I can't even remember what it was called. But I remember a "fucking hell"
Bunny must die? that's the only one I can think of, if it's metroidvania.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

this level is homophobic, both in the fun "i'm gay and this is inconveniencing me" way and the uncomfortable "this seems like it's using 'gay' to mean 'bad'" way

like... there's a pretty defined difference between being immature in your level name and using a phrase that perpetuates being gay as something negative, whether it's a reference or not. intent doesn't matter, here; it's in poor taste as a joke
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
KinuNishimura
Pronouns: she/her

Post by KinuNishimura »

I think that if your level is driving raocow, of all people, to question whether his current path in life has purpose at all, then even if your hack is supposed to be bad then it's probably not worth having
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

Ok, first of all I didn't make this level.
In fact I'm not connected to Yump in any way.
Despite that I'm going to write some developer commentary since I'm happy it got made.
Note this is coming from someone whose kaizo contest entry lost points for being too easy.

GS is a level I wanted to make for a long time.
So many "kaizo" levels put difficulty first and gameplay second.
Especially with Mario Maker coming out and streamers playing levels designed to get low completion rates.
Everytime I saw a nonsense obstacle added to a level that had no place being there; I wanted to make this level.
To me this level says: "You want difficult? There you go then."
It has a single hard obstacle, repeated without change until the sheer volume makes the player crumble.
It giving you only a single screen further threatens another 20 that could have been used.
Like rao said in the video, there is a bond of trust between the player and designer.
If you decide to break that trust to make things harder you might as well make this level.
This level doesn't pretend to give anything to the player except difficulty.
It's a cautionary tale of what is and isn't supposed to happen in a level.
What better place to distribute this level apart from a bad on purpose hack like Yump?

I fear people are blaming the level designer for making rao miserable.
The biggest problem the level has is that it appears to impede progress.
Which would only be a 'mistake' in the overworld path design.
Other than not being able to finish the game there is no reason rao couldn't "walk away from the screen" to quote a meme.
The level doesn't trick anyone with it's length, you can decide not to play it after 10min.
The first 37 videos' worth of levels haven't suddenly become garbage, just because this particular one crossed the difficulty horizon.

Again I'm not the author, and cannot speak on their behalf.
But this is what I would have said, had I designed it.
Which I have in unreleased and different form.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

that was a gay level
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kowkarot »

I actually enjoyed today's video quite a bit, but that's probably because I'm a terrible person who enjoys seeing other people suffer. The skinning a dog metaphor in particular was so hilariously creepy it got me laughing for a while. But yeah, I've beaten pretty much the whole hack except Bowser's Castle and the 3 final levels in the Special World (that assuming there are no more level than the ones the map shows) and so far GAY SHT is the worst piece of garbage in the game and I sure hope it stays that way until the end (please).
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Tyty wrote: 6 years ago So why was everyone non-sarcastically telling me this was a good hack again?

I think the super mixed messages during development were the problem here. "Supposed to be bad" "supposed to make people angry" and "janky and ugly but fun" are all VERY different ideas and it's kinda created a hack that's all over the place with some high highs and some -very- low lows. I'm kinda glad I'm not playing this, but I really feel bad raocow had to go through it.
I think it was supposed to be "aesthetically bad" as the gag with occasional questionable design decisions.

I'm guessing whoever made this level blew someone and that's why his got accepted.
mellonpizza wrote:that was a gay level
can we please not
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 6 years ago this level is homophobic, both in the fun "i'm gay and this is inconveniencing me" way and the uncomfortable "this seems like it's using 'gay' to mean 'bad'" way

like... there's a pretty defined difference between being immature in your level name and using a phrase that perpetuates being gay as something negative, whether it's a reference or not. intent doesn't matter, here; it's in poor taste as a joke
Not gonna lie, I was proud of raocow just outright saying the name was "embarrassing, especially in 2017"
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

gaysht.png
gaysht.png (99.85 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Alt text:

Without GAY SHT, YUMP would be further to the left on this graph.

(also because of attribution requirements, this is a modified version of https://xkcd.com/653/)
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Yeah Gay Sht is so bad that it no longer belongs in So Bad, It's Good, like most of the hack.

It's So Bad, It's Horrible!

I initially skipped this level and I eventually just abused massive frame rewind spam just to clear it. I think the "it's suppose to be bad" a valid argument though. This is a level some kid would make in Mario Maker because he thinks difficulty is good and has no concept on how to design anything.

You weren't suppose to have any fun or any positive experience playing through that level because the level was genuinely just bad. There is nothing good that come from it. You can usually find some redeemable qualities in something that is poorly received but in the end of the day, bad is just bad and this level is about as bad as you can make it while still being possible to clear without tools. People use to make youtube levels like this with the sheer intention of pissing off the let's player because lol so funny xD... which is what drove ProtonJon and AzureBlade to stop LPing hacks. When something is just bad, then of course you are going to have a miserable time playing it. In an intentional bad hack like YUMP it's not that surprising that the worst level in a hack like this will be something such as this.

I think the problem is that many people had different ideas on what to make for an intentional joke hack so when you play janky but still interesting levels, you expect really good things from this hack, and it just hurts that much more when you play something like gay shit or a no effort muncher spammy level edit of an smw level.
Last edited by zagesaw 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

OK, long time lurker here. Don't have a Youtube account. Watching that trainwreck of a video just convinced me to register an account at Talkhaus just so I could tell you that I also feel sorry for poor Raocalf. To think that our lovable loon got to the point where he began dropping F-bombs... YEESH! :shock: I don't think he's ever come close to this type of torture, and he most certainly did not deserve anything like it.

Yes, TORTURE. That's what that level was. It wasn't "bad", it wasn't a joke. It was a torture device. Someone carefully planned that level with intent in inflicting maximum misery on YUMP's playerbase. And I'm convinced that the purson responsible deserves a boot to the head and a season-long revocation of his SMW modding privileges. Being this sadistic is just going TOO FAR.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

General_Urist wrote: 6 years agoYes, TORTURE. That's what that level was. It wasn't "bad", it wasn't a joke. It was a torture device. Someone carefully planned that level with intent in inflicting maximum misery on YUMP's playerbase. And I'm convinced that the purson responsible deserves a boot to the head and a season-long revocation of his SMW modding privileges. Being this sadistic is just going TOO FAR.
this was our collective aesthetic
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I think a lot of you need to remember that raocow chose to finish this level without tools. As it got further and further he got more frustrated, but it's not like the level author was there the whole time, able to change the level as raocow got more frustrated. i.e. retroactively change it because raocow was mad. The level is not "torture". raocow had the ability to use savestates, or rewinds, or take a break, or straight up never play the game again. Or he could have lucked out and beaten it in 20 minutes and the level would still be the same. The author is not an omniscient being with difficulty knobs, watching raocow play and cranking up the difficulty for the sake of "torture." The author is the same guy he was before raocow played this level.
lolyoshi wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years agoLast one I personally even can recall was that one Metroidvania cat girl game? Might have been Touhou themed or something? I can't even remember what it was called. But I remember a "fucking hell"
Bunny must die? that's the only one I can think of, if it's metroidvania.
That's the one
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Honestly, I was expecting more levels like this from the get-go. The reason why I didn't play YUMP alongside you or Tom is that I knew that parts weren't designed to be enjoyable, and I wouldn't enjoy them. Not to mention that the creative jank is just as enjoyable in video form (whereas well-constructed platforming challenges tend to be more fun to actually play before seeing how others deal with them IMO).
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Veruchai wrote: 6 years ago Ok, first of all I didn't make this level.
In fact I'm not connected to Yump in any way.
Ah you needn't say that. we all know idol made this one
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Holy

Post by Holy »

I dunno, I don't have a problem with this level (besides the title). It sucks to see rao, like, past the end of his rope - but I don't think I've ever seen such a perfectly constructed disregard for all things fun in a video game before. It is not flashy, it is not like "hey check out how difficult this is," it is just plain, extremely basic, extremely tiresome Hard Thing. And I think that's cool.

EVEN BETTER that it impedes progress (to the red switch, at least). That gives it more impact.