(shouting)

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ometeotl

Re: PMUY - Paper Mario Ultra Yarn

Post by Ometeotl »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago I think I got the same update as him last night as well.
Man, that's crazy, what are the odds
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years agocultivating a beautiful garden
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Money

Post by Money »

If this is the worst the game gets I'm super looking forward to the rest of this hack
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: PUMY - Please Uncover My Yardsale

Post by jayScribble »

Koopster wrote: 6 years ago I agree that neon city isn't that bad

despite not having suceeded to cheese the secret exit, which I'm sure is possible

Well, raocow, as the dude as he is,

found a way to cheese it.

Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Neon City is not so terrible. By saturating the level with sprites, it does two very interesting things. Firstly, there is a vanilla random sprite arrangement mechanism. Secondly, you have to kill or manipulate sprites to clear the throw block walls (and obviously you could make vanilla mini-bosses like that).
dont wanna jihad no more
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago If this is the worst the game gets I'm super looking forward to the rest of this hack
it isnt
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

neon city
This level is a reference to Eternal Darkness 1 from ZGC.

Furthermore, this level is dedicated to ninja boy. The intent was to make a level that plays like garbage but looks pretty so that ninja boy will give it a high score (like Flash Black, and to a lesser extent, Subterranean Glow). The second half is a direct reference to these two levels.
There used to be a broken midway point: if you died after the midpoint, you would have to replay the first half without enemies. This made neon city infamous already during the beta-testing stage. Thankfully, this "feature" was removed.
The reason why there is an invisible Piranha Plant is because it's under the Layer 2 background due to transparency mode being used.

This is the only level the author of this level feels like YUMP would be better off without.
gotta agree with morsel here
Last edited by Lazy_ 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Re: MPUY - Malicious Pancakes Uncovered Yesterday

Post by Bean »

Horikawa Otane wrote: 6 years ago I don't know. To be perfectly honest, something about this isn't jiving for me. I've found myself getting really bored with these levels for some reason. And then, when there's absurd slowdown, I've found myself getting outright aggravated.

There's been some good moments and all, but I'm personally just not feeling this one so far =/
That's fair enough. It kind of reminds me of the hacks raocow played in the early days that were ambitious if still flawed. It's intentionally done like this, but for now, it's clicking with me. When it gets to the bad levels, I'll probably roll my eyes.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

This is LP of the year for me right now.

Different tastes I guess.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago This is LP of the year for me right now.
Me too, thanks.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago This is LP of the year for me right now.
I'll third that. This LP has been fantastic.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

To be honest, I'm more worried about

castle of the Seriously fear

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: UPMY - Unsurely Packing Many Yoghurts

Post by Mata Hari »

"having a face is so 2015 yo"

it's funny you should say that actually
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: UPMY - Unsurely Packing Many Yoghurts

Post by Mata Hari »

Wait that was from yesterday's video, which I'm watching today. Shit
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

lolyoshi wrote: 6 years ago To be honest, I'm more worried about

That one isn't that bad either, tbh
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Koopster wrote: 6 years ago
lolyoshi wrote: 6 years ago To be honest, I'm more worried about

That one isn't that bad either, tbh
what

explain
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

dead plumbers society
This level is a compilation of scrapped puzzles from the author's VLDCX entry. The second puzzle used to have two throw blocks instead of one throw block and one shell. This change accidentally added the break that raocow pointed out.

The name is based on Dead Poets Society. It isn't related to the level in any way (other than that it takes place in a cave).
dampit

The level author is cello player. This thing is used to keep the instrument humid so it doesn't crack and stuff. It looks a lot like the wall springboard, hence why the level is named after it. The author always says to their stand partner "oh no I dropped the green springy thingy", etc.

It is possible to get the overworld to get really weird palettes if you touch the goal orb just right, like raocow showcased.
green gLITCH PALACE
It's a pun do you get it? This level's idea basically was "a hyperactive child makes a switch palace". They get an idea in their mind about GLITCHES and totally overdo it.
The level actually had two different iterations, the original version was far more obnoxious. It was only three screens long but had a fake shelljump, an invisible net below the screen, a pswitch that you need to screen scroll to get, and a muncher run. The room with the switch also had conveyor slopes that you couldn't jump off of 90% of the time. It would've easily been one of the more infamous levels in the game if it had been kept like that. Eventually it was nerfed, making it a lot more "playable".
misc:
- the lone pipe in the cave submap is actually a luigi filter. it can't be accessed on a normal run

yeah, wtf koopster
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Both Dead Plumber's Society and Dampit were rather interesting levels. Dampit's was especially clever for a vanilla screen wrap effect.
Lazy_ wrote: 6 years agoIt is possible to get the overworld to get really weird palettes if you touch the goal orb just right, like raocow showcased.
How the heck does that even work?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Lazy_ wrote: 6 years ago misc:
- the lone pipe in the cave submap is actually a luigi filter. it can't be accessed on a normal run

yeah, wtf koopster
why the hell have you killed luigi koopster. i'm going to go scream at him on discord about this!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago How the heck does that even work?
like that, apparently
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Horikawa Otane wrote: 6 years ago I don't know. To be perfectly honest, something about this isn't jiving for me. I've found myself getting really bored with these levels for some reason. And then, when there's absurd slowdown, I've found myself getting outright aggravated.

There's been some good moments and all, but I'm personally just not feeling this one so far =/
Probably all the really vanilla stuff? After 20 or so years of SMW your tolerance to the same graphics and music has to take a hike eventually.

I'm still enjoying the LP, but that's the main reason I didn't play the game for myself.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: YPMU - Yearlong Party? Mayor Uncertain

Post by jayScribble »

Ironic that the shortest level is going at a snail's pace. huehuehue
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I like how raocow said there wan't a midpoint in the the first level, despite video evidence to the contrary. It's like the Lp version of Kappa
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

BEWEAR TRICKY JUMPS
Back when this level's author was learning how to hack Super Mario World, they made a ROM hack that was never released. One of level gimmicks was a level entirely on Layer 2 with variable scroll speed. From what they remember, that was the most interesting level of that ROM hack, so they decided to have a level with a similar gimmick. They checked all levels in SMW to determine which ones are shorter than 0x10 screens (length limit in a Layer 2 level). They noticed that Donut Secret 2 is rather short, so I just changed it into Layer 2 level and moved Layer 1 to Layer 2.
They felt the end result was a bit too simple so they randomly put pits and munchers everywhere. Then it turned out that second half of the level was noticeably more difficult, so they put a Midway Point before the actually difficult part so that players won't have to do the simple parts again.

Some YUMP levels have intentionally misspelled names, so the author decided to join in. Bewear is actually a gen 7 Pokemon.
dig btich
youtube version of raekuul's magl3 entry lololol
Castle of the seriously Fear
This level was directly copied from a paper sketch of a level that the author made when they were about 10 years old. This was before they even knew about LM and its limitations, which would explain all the glitched and disappearing sprites.

Here's a small snippet of the sketch:

It's very evident that a German with a poor grasp on the English language wrote these message boxes. "tipp" is the German word for tip. Also, the German word for get, "bekommen", sounds very similar to become, hence "become the 1-up". It's a commom mistake among Germans.
how long do snails sleep
When you place a Layer 2 Sink Short generator at x1,y0 in a vertical level, the game slows down considerably. We have no idea why it happens but it is pure vanilla. The author accidentally discovered this while working on their postgame level and decided that it's hilarious enough to make a level about.

The level name is a meme.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/snails-sleep-3
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

i like how the "3" sign on overworld is actually "3" coin pattern in snail level

clever