(shouting)

Fly'N 'til the very end!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Fly'N out into the unknown

Post by Crow »

haven't watched the vid yet but I'm assuming the vid is just one level and maybe the bonus level too but

20 mins vid... 2-6 is my least favorite level in the game for the record, autoscrollers suck
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Re: Fly'N down into a dark triangular world

Post by Sebby19 »

I feel if you had made more of an attempt at collecting the seeds, you've would have understood the bouncy physics quicker.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow why did you restart the level every time you died omg
also tbh just reset your bounce momentum literally every jump unless there's a reason you can't, it makes things easier & isn't hard to do
also someone said this already but resetting to the last checkpoint does not actually count as a death, so, take advantage of that
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago raocow why did you restart the level every time you died omg
also tbh just reset your bounce momentum literally every jump unless there's a reason you can't, it makes things easier & isn't hard to do
also someone said this already but resetting to the last checkpoint does not actually count as a death, so, take advantage of that
I haven't watched the video yet but if it's a "reach the buddy at the end of the level before hairdryer boy flips out" level, then it's best to restart the level after you die. Otherwise hairdryer boy will scare the buddy and abscond. You can beat the level but you won't get the secret exit.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Odd, I could have sworn it was the previous world which took place Within a Deep Forest...
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

A plus side of raocow having to restart that chase level so many times is that the winning run looked really cool with raocow having learned most of the level. The blackbird character looks a bit finicky to control, but it also looks like the most rewarding for speed running through the levels once you get used to it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ivy wrote: 6 years agoI haven't watched the video yet but if it's a "reach the buddy at the end of the level before hairdryer boy flips out" level, then it's best to restart the level after you die. Otherwise hairdryer boy will scare the buddy and abscond. You can beat the level but you won't get the secret exit.
Several of those deaths gave raocow ample time to hit the respawn button before he died. I think that's what Parama was referring to. If he'd done that instead of waiting to die then restarting the level he'd have saved himself a decent amount of hassle.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Ivy wrote: 6 years ago
Parama wrote: 6 years ago raocow why did you restart the level every time you died omg
I haven't watched the video yet but if it's a "reach the buddy at the end of the level before hairdryer boy flips out" level, then it's best to restart the level after you die. Otherwise hairdryer boy will scare the buddy and abscond. You can beat the level but you won't get the secret exit.
it's the opposite actually, and that's what raocow had been doing for every level up to this point; you get through the entire level first so there are no surprises & you don't have to replay half the level every time you die to a new obstacle.

then you go back and play through again with the knowledge you've gained and it's both easier and faster than throwing your head against a wall repeatedly.

please don't talk to me like i've never played the game, i've played through this game several times over the course of several years :roll:
Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Ivy wrote: 6 years agoI haven't watched the video yet but if it's a "reach the buddy at the end of the level before hairdryer boy flips out" level, then it's best to restart the level after you die. Otherwise hairdryer boy will scare the buddy and abscond. You can beat the level but you won't get the secret exit.
Several of those deaths gave raocow ample time to hit the respawn button before he died. I think that's what Parama was referring to. If he'd done that instead of waiting to die then restarting the level he'd have saved himself a decent amount of hassle.
this partially but i still think it's insanely stupid to restart the entire level when you die when you also have no clue what's coming next.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 6 years agothis partially but i still think it's insanely stupid to restart the entire level when you die when you also have no clue what's coming next.
Can't disagree there. I know that thought's crossed my mind more than once since he found out he has to get through those levels without dying.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Like the thing that bugs me the most is that he WAS doing that for all the chase levels up until this one and then decided to make things way harder for himself by not doing it here

cowrao you make no sense sometimes :P
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago sometimes
pffffhahahaha
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Fly'N through the ground like a mole

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, looks like you were mostly right?

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow

Post by Crow »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago
Parama wrote: 6 years ago sometimes
pffffhahahaha
true
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So, do you feel like you've mastered the bounce mechanics now?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

as you will see tomorrow: no
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

i found it a bit weird that you were constantly trying to break stuff to the side instead of straight up. this level ends up feeling easiest when you just break 3-4 blocks above you then move over to the next column and i don't remember it being that hard to do that way either, so. yeah it can kind of suck to have to restart but the level as a whole isn't really that long. it's not one of my faves but it's not one of the worst either
Crow

Re: Fly'N on down the musical river

Post by Crow »

yeah this bonus stage is

bad lol. probably the other one i really don't like at all
Sebby19

Re: Fly'N from the nest

Post by Sebby19 »

Surprised the 'water/air current' isn't used more often in the middle of the regular levels, only during the beginning and ends (and the Cocoon).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Mea

Re: Fly'N like an arrow

Post by Mea »

The orange sprite's motion really made it clear to me that I'm not a big fan of how the movements look in this game. The crude-cut abrupt motions remind me of those old flash platformers with those twitchy brusque controls. This whole game feels like a flash game wrapped in pretty graphics. The tiny awkwardnesses kinda add up more than if there was one single bigger problem.
Sebby19

Re: Fly'N like an arrow

Post by Sebby19 »

Mea wrote: 6 years ago The orange sprite's motion really made it clear to me that I'm not a big fan of how the movements look in this game. The crude-cut abrupt motions remind me of those old flash platformers with those twitchy brusque controls. This whole game feels like a flash game wrapped in pretty graphics. The tiny awkwardnesses kinda add up more than if there was one single bigger problem.
Actually, the movement of the rocket guy reminds me of the movement of certain bugs that dart across the surface of the water.

And raocow, you squandered those extra orbs today.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice

Re: Fly'N, ziggin' 'n' zaggin'

Post by Alice »

raocow, why didn't the midpoint you hit at literally the start of the level not count as a midpoint?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that's not really a midpoint that's the start of the level
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 6 years agothat's not really a midpoint that's the start of the level
Doesn't it function the same as one though?
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I agree with raocow: If there aren't any obstacles he's skipping by using the midpoint instead of restarting, there's no reason not to restart.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i can recall two of the three bonus zones in this area off the top of my head and they're both pretty solid so there's a 66% chance tomorrow's vid won't be a disaster but i don't remember the third one at all & it might suck

edit: so i looked it up. the one i forgot about (which isn't tomorrow's) is the best bonus level of the entire bunch & like genuinely on par with the main game tbh, i like that one a lot