(shouting)

Let's Play ASMT! - Possibly delayed for one week

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Let's Play ASMT! - Possibly delayed for one week

Post by QubicTom »

Not since JUMP was I so nervous about starting a series! ASMT needs no introduction here. I'm looking forward to seeing all the levels again, and listening to all the music made for this game. How does it hold up all these years later? How does it compare to A2MT: The Fixed Edition? And, most importantly, will I reach 4000 Demos again in this game? :D

Let's Play ASMT! - 1 - A Super Mario Thing
Ep2 - A Swimming Madly Thing
Ep3 - A Sublime Melody Thing
Ep4 - A Smouldering Maple Thing
Ep5 - A Switch Maze Thing
Ep6 - A Silly Misfortunate Thing
Ep7 - A Soaring Majestically Thing
Ep8 - A Smiling Maneuvering Thing
Ep9 - A Shy Metaphysical Thing
Ep10 - A Sweet Melting Thing
Ep11 - A Switch Mistake Thing
Ep12 - A Snailington Mortgage Thing
Ep13 - A Steed Murder Thing
Ep14 - A Superficially Malevolent Thing
Ep15 - A Sprinting Maniacally Thing
Last edited by QubicTom 6 years ago, edited 17 times in total.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 1 - A Super Mario Thing

Post by ParmaJon »

wooo! I'm excited
Go to bed

Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Just like with JUMP, I already have list of all tracks, so I will post it as you go.

Title Screen - The Sims - Buy Mode 1
Intro - A Super Mario Thing - Starbase Opening by Kil
World 1 - A Super Mario Thing - World 1 (high quality) by prsnth1111
And Then There Was A Resistance Base (overground) - A Super Mario Thing - Decisive Here We Go by Kil
And Then There Was A Resistance Base (cutscene) - Final Fantasy 2j - Warship
And Then There Was A Resistance Base (underground) - Super Mario All-Stars - SMB1/SMB3 Underground
And So It Began - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Flower Garden
Water Water Everywhere - A Super Mario Thing - Water Water Everywhere by prsnth1111

P-Switch theme is composed by Kil, but it's a sound effect (just like in A2MT), so I don't have link to it.

The beginning is sorta weird, it's very plot heavy which is unlike any other part of a game. The plot isn't even all that important, but it's here, so whatever. There are some cutscenes later on, but they are relatively short and there aren't many of those, so they don't really matter.

Anyway, there is no power-up filter in a game, and the game is much nicer in terms of difficulty than A2MT overall. That said, there are some insane levels in terms of difficulty (by insane I mean about the difficulty of average level of A2MT), but I wouldn't be concerned with them for now. The first one is like in World 4, I think.

There are lots of tracks, so I will post every episode, there is like literally a single level with vanilla music.
QubicTom wrote:will I reach 4000 Demos again in this game
No.
Last edited by Sugar 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

there are a handful of levels that filter, but it's just those, and it's kinda random and unexpected when it happens
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Hello everyone! I am searching for ASMT Overworld songs MML. If someone has old stuff, please upload it. New Demo is waiting for you.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Jongseok wrote: 6 years ago Hello everyone! I am searching for ASMT Overworld songs MML. If someone has old stuff, please upload it. New Demo is waiting for you.
Tracks composed by Kil are in ASMT resource pack, but Kil only composed World 8 theme (and World 7 and 9, but those weren't used in a game). I don't think prsnth1111 ever released mml files of overworld tracks?
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Jongseok wrote: 6 years ago Tracks composed by Kil are in ASMT resource pack, but Kil only composed World 8 theme (and World 7 and 9, but those weren't used in a game). I don't think prsnth1111 ever released mml files of overworld tracks?
Actually, there were all mml files in the ancient forum. But all of download websites are deleted because they're too old...
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 2 - A Swimming Madly Thing

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Just like with JUMP, I already have list of all tracks, so I will post it as you go.
Woah! This is super appreciated, thank you! You get a shoutout for this in today's video :D

I'm glad everyone seems excited about this. Assuming I can upload them, there will be an episode for every day this week!

How many episodes until this title gimmick backfires? Any estimates?
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

QubicTom wrote: 6 years ago I'm glad everyone seems excited about this. Assuming I can upload them, there will be an episode for every day this week!

How many episodes until this title gimmick backfires? Any estimates?
I don't think it will. It's a solid name gimmick with all sorts of uses.

Stoked to see you play this btw.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Crossroads to the Red Switch - Paper Mario - Mt. Rugged
Red Switch of Puzzle - Super Mario Bros. 2 - Character Select
I Need To Breathe! - Mega Man X2 - Bubble Crab
The Worms' Cave (exterior) - Duck Tales (NES) - Amazon
The Worms' Cave - Super Metroid - Brinstar Red Soil

Duck Tales - Amazon was specifically ported for ASMT and only used for overground segment of The Worms' Cave in it. Crazy. Speaking of crazy, Red Switch (HUGE PUZZLE!) needing two authors - one drew the level, the other one put it in Lunar Magic.

Looking forward to rest of LP.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Speaking of crazy, Red Switch (HUGE PUZZLE!) needing two authors - one drew the level, the other one put it in Lunar Magic.
Ah! That explains it. I guess a lot of people wanted to take part in ASMT but didn't have the time to learn Lunar Magic. It's a good way of taking part and getting your name in the credits :)

Progress and more progress! This game is so good, I've played further ahead than I should have...! I have more than enough videos for the near future. I'm taking bets for what level I reach 100 Demos at!
Ep3 - A Sublime Melody Thing
Lockirby2

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 3 - A Sublime Melody Thing

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'll guess the world 2 castle (Emerald whatever it was).
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Charlie's Glue Factory - Mega Man 2 - Metalman
World 2 - A Super Mario Thing - World 2 (high quality) by prsnth1111
Bouncing Brigade - Commander Keen 4 - Welcome to a Kick in the Pants in Good Old Hillville
Bouncing Brigade (underground) - CUSTOM - Cave Raider by gpetry

As I said before, you can farm lifes in I Need To Breathe!, but it's really slow (there is early accessible 1UP), but it will have to work until you reach second half of Afraid of Something Unseen. Also, I think the high quality version of World 2 track was used in A2XT, but I don't quite remember. I marked Cave Raider as CUSTOM, as it wasn't specifically composed for ASMT but it's still an original composition made by someone on SMW Central, there is one more case of that ASMT I believe.

I'm betting that you will reach 100 demos in 3-1 (High! Sky! Fly! to make it clear which one I mean). Emerald Stronghold is hard, but I sorta feel like you will only reach like 90 demos by then.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I'm surprised youd start this and not finish Trials fully. Its not even like it was that hard. Very odd choice.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

I'm really enjoying this LP so far! ASMT is just full of nostalgia and fond memories for me... Somehow even the levels that are admittedly kind of a thing and not all that well thought out are somehow "not that bad" in my memories, but I guess I might have to reevaluate my opinion when you inevitable get extremely frustrated by them (:
One thing that's pretty clear however is that the game is supposed to be fun to play first and foremost, which is pretty nice coming from A2MT. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

One thing I always liked about ASMT was the graphic changes for the sprites. They just all look so cute and cuddly! It's also kind of impressive that they all look like they were designed by one single person, the comic-y stile of them works so well. In a way I'm kind of disappointed that A2XT took the graphic changes from A2MT instead, because while those also look great, they tried to make them more realistic looking and detailed which was really not necessary in my opinion. But oh well, personal taste and all that.

Another thing which I find kind of funny about ASMT is the sheer number of Vip4 references: There are at least three levels which are just redesigns of specific Vip4 levels, and tons of others ones which are references to it or raocow's LP of it. To give you a quick overview:

"And then there was a Resistance Base" is a reference to Vip4's Yoshi's House / 1-1 which are called "And then there was a House" / "And then there was a Play about a Stupid Horse" respectively.

"Water Water Everywhere" is the video title of the fifth video of raocow's Vip4 LP.

It's kind of a tradition to have an early game level in the VIPs that has nonsensical sprite replacements, so "The Worms' Cave" could be seen as a nod to that trend.

...and I'm sure there are many more that I didn't catch!

You obviously don't have to have played Vip4 or watched raocow's LP of it in order to enjoy ASMT, but if you did, it basically shows you a whole other layer to the game.
QubicTom wrote:
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago Speaking of crazy, Red Switch (HUGE PUZZLE!) needing two authors - one drew the level, the other one put it in Lunar Magic.
Ah! That explains it. I guess a lot of people wanted to take part in ASMT but didn't have the time to learn Lunar Magic. It's a good way of taking part and getting your name in the credits :)
You can still look at this exchange here by the way (:
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I guess huge number of VIP4 references isn't that surprising, as back when ASMT developed, raocow was playing VIP4 along with other games, and people usually remember best the most recent LPs. The game was made for raocow after all, so raocow references were pretty much obligatory.

As for Yoshis, well, horses, some of them as far the plot goes joined the King Charles, which is why some are your enemies. As for why Yoshis were kicked into gray lava in Glue Factory, it's because back in a day, some glue was made of horse hooves - a horse that wasn't needed was sent to a glue factory. raocow does call Yoshis horses, so go figure.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 4 - A Smouldering Maple Thing

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years agoAs I said before, you can farm lifes in I Need To Breathe!, but it's really slow (there is early accessible 1UP), but it will have to work until you reach second half of Afraid of Something Unseen.
This quote here will be relevant in the next three episodes!
Ryrir wrote: 6 years ago One thing that's pretty clear however is that the game is supposed to be fun to play first and foremost, which is pretty nice coming from A2MT. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

One thing I always liked about ASMT was the graphic changes for the sprites. They just all look so cute and cuddly! It's also kind of impressive that they all look like they were designed by one single person, the comic-y stile of them works so well.
You can still look at this exchange here by the way (:
Totally agree on both counts, so far ASMT is entirely made to entertain. It looks good and sounds good. A2MT, however... well, enough have been said about that by now :D Man, that exchange was 8 years ago!
Awakenyourmind wrote: 6 years ago I'm surprised youd start this and not finish Trials fully. Its not even like it was that hard. Very odd choice.
I haven't forgotten about Trials of the Parrot! I don't know if I explained my decision before, so I'll say it here. I started a new job in May and moved in with new people, such that I could no longer record two videos a day. In fact, I can't record at all on any weekday, due to working late, lots of background noise and terrible internet for uploading. I can only record on weekends now... but I still want daily content. So now I spend Saturdays recording a game easy enough to be able to get seven episodes recorded in the one day (that was A2XT, is now AMST). A2MT takes several hours just to get one episode. If I didn't start this, there'd only be one, maybe two episodes a week on the channel. I also chose to do "further over there" because it had been two weeks since the previous A2MT episode, and I think people would rather see a new level than an old one. I'm very sorry that your level didn't get the attention it deserved - it was bad timing with the new job. But, I promise, I will showcase all of it :)

Someone tried to set this forest ablaze, oh no! Luckily all the wood was treated and the flames just bounce off the branches.
Ep4 - A Smouldering Maple Thing
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Firehazard Canopy - Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Forest Frenzy
Overgrown Fortress (cave part) - CUSTOM - Cave Raider by gpetry
Overgrown Fortress (fortress part) - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - Krook's March
Overgrown Fortress (sky part) - Super Marisa World - Ice World (World 1)
Bonus game - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Fortress Boss
Down The Poison River - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - Forest Interlude

Oh wow, it's Donkey Kong Country music time. The reason why I marked games as SNES is that they had GBA ports, and while GBA music was sorta similar to SNES version with exception for third game which composed completely new soundtrack for some reason, it definitely sounded different due to hardware limitations. Don't get me wrong, authors did great job in keeping great Donkey Kong Country music as close as possible to original, but it definitely sounds different.

My mention of GBA version of Donkey Kong Country also reminded me that port was made without having access to source code of original game as it was for all practical purposes lost. Everything had to be reprogrammed and authors tried their best to make port as accurate to the original game. However, the most interesting part is that the port was made using emulator to get original graphic resources back - according to a developer commentary from certain developer, they made screenshots of game in emulator with disabled layers and then copied sprites into GBA version. Crazy to think that one of most popular SNES games wouldn't be ported to GBA if not for emulators. And Nintendo considers emulators to be evil... guys.

Anyway, for ASMT itself.

I just realized that Firehazard Canopy doesn't actually use ASMT replacement for fire. Neat, considering level title wouldn't exactly make sense with the replacement (that isn't fire related at all).

Firehazard Canopy is so to speak that one level. It's pretty badly designed level with one tile jumps, random Bullet Bill shooter and sudden ambushes. That said, there are worse things in ASMT, much worse things. It helps that in Firehazard Canopy there is relatively easy strategy of just going over the level - fire will naturally come down, considering there are one tile jumps by which fire easily falls through especially considering random jump heights of fire.

The reason why there is such a sudden difficulty spike is that the overworld was made first, then people just claimed whatever levels they wanted from it, and nothing was reordered or even rejected for that matter. This is unlike the approach taken by VIP games and JUMP, which designed levels first, then overworld. So people made levels without having a difficulty reference so difficulty can spike weirdly, especially in later part of a game. Perhaps I shouldn't reveal it that early, but in special world, half of levels are really easy, and half is crazy in terms of difficulty.

Overgrown Fortress is nicely designed in terms of level design, but it's also so weird. Like, only one room can be considered to be a fortress, and after Midway Point the level sorta forgets it was a fortress. That said, definitely one of best designed levels in ASMT.

As for Down the Poison River, it's typical Kristian level, he made lots of levels in ASMT, and to be fair, I'm glad he did, considering his levels are on the easier side of things and are quite fun to play.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago [lots of stuff I didn't know]
I actually think Firehazard Canopy is fine for what it is! I give all my reasons in a reply to aterraformer in the comments of the video. Speaking of Nintendo, there is a copyright claim on episode six. It doesn't really matter, but it bothers me when there are ads on the videos.

Compare the video-to-video progress of this and A2MT. I'm glad I've played them so close together, the contrast is amazing.
Ep5 - A Switch Maze Thing

Look forward to tomorrow's trainwreck :D

Also, do people want me to switch to this modified version of ASMT? viewtopic.php?f=54&p=394155
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

The Cave Where the Crystals Are - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Underground
Yoshi's Were-House🔑 - Friday the 13th (NES) - Crystal Lake Camp Map
The Switch Where Yoshi Jumps A Lot - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Fortress Boss

There are actually two different versions of "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Underground" in a game, but the second one will be much later in a game. Interesting however how the same track has slight variations, not entirely sure what's the reason however.

I never knew about bonus room in "The Cave Where the Crystals Are", but I suppose the level is so easy that's easy to miss. Oh well.

Midway Point in Yoshi's Were-House🔑 is somewhat pointless I would say. Essentially after Midway Point, you have choice between two pipes. The right one leads to room where you pick, the left one leads to goal. That's it. It's quite pointless.

In The Switch Where Yoshi Jumps A Lot, the pipe marked by message box actually leads to beginning of a level. For that matter, so going back when in the switch room (entering pipe you came from). It's quite malicious.

Also, I forgot about one thing when I said no global filters. There is actually a global filter a game, you cannot bring Yoshi from level to level. However, Yoshis are so rare in a game that I pretty much forgot it existed.
QubicTom wrote: 6 years ago Also, do people want me to switch to this modified version of ASMT? viewtopic.php?f=54&p=394155
It's unfinished, lacks some tracks, so no in my opinion. It's essentially ASMT working on real SNES, nothing more.
Last edited by Sugar 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

QubicTom wrote: 6 years ago Also, do people want me to switch to this modified version of ASMT? viewtopic.php?f=54&p=394155
In my opinion the missing songs (especially the custom overworld music, but a couple of other ones as well) are too high a price to pay for it to be worth it. And you're playing on emulator anyway, so it's not like you'll really get to see any improvements, right?

Looking forward to the next episode!
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

No, it's terrible, unfinished and you are already playing on an inaccurate emulator.
(If you switched to that version I would like hearing a loop of SMW-Overworld at the end of every episode ;) )

However I could sent a fix for a thing that doesn't work with the Demo counter,

the Boss Bass sprite

QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago ...
I could sent a fix for a thing that doesn't work with the Demo counter,

the Boss Bass sprite

I'm aware of this problem, but I thought it was fixed in v1.2? Do keep going with your project, I really think a working physical ASMT cartridge needs to exist!
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago In The Switch Where Yoshi Jumps A Lot, the pipe marked by message box actually leads to beginning of a level. For that matter, so going back when in the switch room (entering pipe you came from). It's quite malicious.

Also, I forgot about one thing when I said no global filters. There is actually a global filter a game, you cannot bring Yoshi from level to level. However, Yoshis are so rare in a game that I pretty much forgot it existed.
I did try to go into that pipe but failed. Bad playing paid off for once! Should have noticed the Yoshi filter by now. Once I don't have to go through a "No Yoshi" cutscene at the start of each level I'm fine with the filter!

First trainwreck! This one took over an hour to record. There were some, um, mishaps!
Ep6 - A Silly Misfortunate Thing
Grounder

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 6 - A Silly Misfortunate Thing

Post by Grounder »

Sometimes I do indeed read the tags.

Just not always.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play ASMT! - Episode 6 - A Silly Misfortunate Thing

Post by Ryrir »

"Afraid Of Something Unseen" is the first level of the game (out of three or four) that is a straight up reimagining of a Vip4 level.
Oyster translates the original level as "The Night of Becoming Afraid of Something Unseen" but who knows if that is the actual name or not.

The scary eyes during the ending cutscene are present in the Vip4 version as well, and the message box at the beginning about the "demon who lives inside a toilet" is a raocow quote he says while playing that very level. (Edit: Or maybe not? I'm kind of confused now about the whole toilet demon thing to be honest...)
Way to not notice that the clouds are solid in that level by the way (:

It's very unfortunate that the game crashed for you there... It's a very impressive gimmick and boss fight especially if you consider the fact that this game is really old, but it's admittetly kind of finnicky. It's a shame too because the level could have been very interesting had it been more focused on the actual chase and less on the other obstacles like the hammer brothers. At least it's very short?