(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lockirby2

Re: Level Contest Japan - finally a level about japan

Post by Lockirby2 »

Is it weird that I didn't remember who Shinbison-Kof was at all until raocow said it out loud, and then I knew him immediately?
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

yeah the last level of forestville is extremely a thing
Money

Re: Level Contest Japan - this can't be right

Post by Money »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 6 years ago
MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago I remember a level in MAGLX2 had Undertale music, and the deadline for that was before Undertale actually even came out.
The only one I can think of is Sturg's postgame level using a kazoo version of Megalovania (something along those lines, I think?), which presumably was made a while later, probably? I'm not sure!
Just looked it up, it was in the level "I liked SMB2".
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It's not so different from talkhaus that it doesn't matter how boring and disconnected a level feels, someone will call it the best because of a half assed Ninja reference.

reference to earlier in the thread, i know you're not supposed to explain the joke but i don't want anybody thinking that i or anybody else actually called the level boring

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

I find it difficult to get as excited about this level as you guys since I've played 80-ish levels by Shinbison that play roughly the same, but I think the chase sequence at the end is pretty neat and has some character to it.
Ideas like the Lakitu platforms or the Bowser's Castle curtains I would've loved to see put to more use, though. These two ideas and the downstab-digging felt a bit like "I gotta do something different in this section", which is fair for keeping the level interesting, but also makes all the sections feel a bit disconnected from one another. I would've found it cool if these ideas reappeared during the climax of the level.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level Contest Japan - castle inside story

Post by SAJewers »

People really need to learn about how to tutorialize and introduce new concepts in their levels. :/
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

oh nooo it's the return of the distorted travesty colored squares!!!!!
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

That level could use "special" place on the map, with its own tile. Since it's a big reference to the kind of Bowser's Castle levels that appear in SMW and so many hacks, positioning it as a "final level" would have made its length less of a surprise.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Crash reason: uhh... big level+particles+shaky letters=not enough RAM? I dunno.

So this level had 2 stars, because it had to have 2 boss fights and to get to the other boss fight you have to replay the hardest section of the level? And the Elite Trio fight has to go for an eternity? 'k

Also this level feels rather disconnected, there are some jumps that require the balloon, but it doesn't feel like its potential has been used, the chandelier was used like twice, the ladder Koopas are just there and there were other enemies that were used once or twice.

I wonder how doors 2 and 3 look like though.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

why distorted travesty has room by room checkpoints most of the time: the movie
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

What a Travesty of a level.
Blue

Post by Blue »

What the heck is the song that plays while you're fighting the elite trio? I know I've heard it before but I can't place it.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Enemies that rely on timing to get passed with a gimmick that forces you to rush.

Feels like Level Design Contest.

EDIT: Also this level make use of SMBXs "best" feature; the power-up/down delay only affecting Mario, robbing you of P-Switch/Terrible Gimmick time.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Other than the obvious issues with the length, Bowser's Castle has huge conveyance issues. A maverick is already flying out the right side of the screen before you know there are mavericks in the level. The first crumbly bridge breaks under your feet before you know that it will do that, and you die (unless you've seen that crumbly bridge in a different level, which I hadn't). There are also so many gimmicks in the level that you can easily forget that chandeliers lower layers by the time you see one in the lava room. These conveyance issues are even worse when combined with speed sections, which the author seems to do a lot, leading to rooms where it's really difficult to succeed without knowing things ahead of time. You might not even play room 6 before entering the later, faster version of the "Simon says" room, depriving you of your chance to build up your skills with the easier version.

Once you know more or less what to expect, the level is pretty fun, but getting to that point is annoying.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

An extremely long SMBX level? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Man, it's my favorite kind of level, the infamous "a game within an entire level" type. Sometimes less is more, people!

Blue wrote: 6 years ago What the heck is the song that plays while you're fighting the elite trio? I know I've heard it before but I can't place it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXK9mgCbf9g

There appears to be several arrangements of it out there. This might not be the exact version heard in raocow's video.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago Other than the obvious issues with the length, Bowser's Castle has huge conveyance issues. A maverick is already flying out the right side of the screen before you know there are mavericks in the level. The first crumbly bridge breaks under your feet before you know that it will do that, and you die (unless you've seen that crumbly bridge in a different level, which I hadn't). There are also so many gimmicks in the level that you can easily forget that chandeliers lower layers by the time you see one in the lava room. These conveyance issues are even worse when combined with speed sections, which the author seems to do a lot, leading to rooms where it's really difficult to succeed without knowing things ahead of time. You might not even play room 6 before entering the later, faster version of the "Simon says" room, depriving you of your chance to build up your skills with the easier version.

Once you know more or less what to expect, the level is pretty fun, but getting to that point is annoying.
don't forget the DT3 colour gimmick where the concept is not introduced at all. (and, one could argue the Jump item was also introduced in a poor way too)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

basically it feels like the actual bowser castle of a full game where all these gimmicks where used in earlier levels
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago don't forget the DT3 colour gimmick where the concept is not introduced at all. (and, one could argue the Jump item was also introduced in a poor way too)
Yeah, I committed suicide because the sparkly effects made me think the jump item was an invincibility powerup. :P
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago ...The description kinda worries me that tomorrow's video will be some sort of 30 minute monstrosity, though.
Man, I didn't wanna be right about this.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

These high quality and super long levels always make me sad.
I have a hard time finding the time and energy to make short ones, so seeing great ideas and effort wasted because the sheer amount of good content starts being a detriment is so tragic to me.

This level was still a joy to watch though.
So much detail and fun setups, that you're constantly seeing something new and interesting.
For a single example, I kinda liked the idea of the firebro attacking mario while cowering inside the colored parts, although that might have been to stressful when playing myself.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago
Blue wrote: 6 years ago What the heck is the song that plays while you're fighting the elite trio? I know I've heard it before but I can't place it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXK9mgCbf9g

There appears to be several arrangements of it out there. This might not be the exact version heard in raocow's video.
Fackin' 'ell, I knew it was a vampire-related thing but I didn't want to put down Castlevania. Thanks.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Gotta love them 8 hour levels.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Part of the problem here was that the progression was "here, have one of three random level segments" and THEN "hey, here's another level segment, just because".

If it had just been the random segments it would have been significantly shorter. Or if those hadn't been there, it would have been a pretty standard tough castle level. It's combining both of them (and having to do two sections between checkpoints, not just one) that makes it feel really long.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Haha, as soon as I saw raocow spinjumping the goomba boss I knew it was going to end up being an issue for him.

Interesting level. At least it provides more checkpoints than most absurdly long SMBX levels. Not a fan of the DT color gimmick here though. It needs to be introduced in a safe way and the second run is just horrible. The three bosses at the end are way too long too. You have to beat each boss individually then all three together and repeat that a whopping three times.