(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Level Contest Japan - cave story

Post by BurntTenda »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago
Darn it, I wanted to post this.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

level itself was solid but everything was just too long. too long before the first midpoint. instadeath shoe section was too long. boss was way too long. it's not a great sign when the video is 13 minutes long without raocow dying a single time.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

BurntTenda wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago
Darn it, I wanted to post this.
Surely when raocow mentioned it he was thinking of Spongebob, right?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I guess it depends on whether raocow watched Spongebob or not.
According to the Spongebob wiki the Squidville episode aired in 2001, so raocow would have been like 18 by that time. I mean, I'm 20 and can still enjoy the earlier seasons but it's possible he would have never given it a shot since it was a "kid's show"
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

early spongebob is friggin great & a lot of it is still funny to me today
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

tomorrow's video is proof that you can have a positive 'watch the life counter' experience
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago tomorrow's video is proof that you can have a positive 'watch the life counter' experience
oh man just remembered what level is next
Image Image
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow's level! Pause is going to be so interesting if it's based on what I think it is.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 6 years agolevel itself was solid but everything was just too long. too long before the first midpoint. instadeath shoe section was too long. boss was way too long. it's not a great sign when the video is 13 minutes long without raocow dying a single time.
A lot better than I'd have expected though. Bossedit tends to design these long levels fairly well compared to most people but they usually cause raocow a lot more trouble than they did here.

Personally my biggest complaints would have been the shoe section (because it's far too tight for something that would be an instant death if you screwed up) and the final Bowser which was just obnoxious. Also the hammers during the boss fight seemed kinda unnecessary. You might get hit by them the very first time but after that it's kinda difficult to not avoid them so they don't serve much purpose.
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

ztarwuff wrote: 6 years ago Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow's level! Pause is going to be so interesting if it's based on what I think it is.
I think it is.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

bossedit is great at making levels that seem tricky, but are actually quite doable. I still think one phase should have been cut off that boss fight. Preferably not the first phase, as that's the one where you have the most control.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The0x539 wrote: 6 years ago
ztarwuff wrote: 6 years ago Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow's level! Pause is going to be so interesting if it's based on what I think it is.
I think it is.
Oh no seriously someone re-made

Pause Ahead

in SMBX? Tomorrow is going to be the best.
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago
The0x539 wrote: 6 years ago
I think it is.
Oh no seriously someone re-made

Pause Ahead

pretty ironic reply once you look at the end of today's episode
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago Oh no seriously someone re-made

Pause Ahead

Huh. I never realized that this was the original source, let alone there being any.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

Sturg wrote: 6 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago Oh no seriously someone re-made

Pause Ahead

Huh. I never realized that this was the original source, let alone there being any.
Agh, this after all my efforts, including in the level itself, to communicate that my level isn't entirely original.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well that explains that one sentence that otherwise I wasn't sure what it meant
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Pause Ahead seems like a pretty good game.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

not only this should have won LCJ but it also should have won Kaizo Contest, i think it's that good
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It's not original though, and I think most of the levels are copied from the original?
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago It's not original though, and I think most of the levels are copied from the original?
Pretty sure all of the rooms themselves are original.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago It's not original though, and I think most of the levels are copied from the original?
The things that are not original are the graphics, music, and concept, and it's not like most levels deviate from Mario in especially the first two.
The room design is entirely original.
The writing is mostly original.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ah. I only looked at the first three or so levels in the original, and they looked identical to me.
Mea

Post by Mea »

I love those small messages that pop up innocuously at every pause and are different each time, it's such a small, yet considerate thing to do for the player. I was smalltime excited to see what it would say next.
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

Ducking was disabled for two reasons: It had some bugs I didn't want to bother fixing (it was hard enough getting the pause mechanic to be robust as it is, especially combined with the respawning), and I also chose not to design around it, just as with powerups, small Mario, and different playables.

Lost in Yesterday is a wonderful track from Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians. You Are the One and I'm Your Star are also wonderful tracks from that game, and What's Yours is Mine is also a track from that game.

Man, there's no such thing as pausing too much. The original had 1-second time limits all over the place in the endgame, with (optional) 10-second pickups halfway through some of them.

I did make a level for CC12 before this, Nimbus Castle, but it's nowhere near as impressive, and I'm nowhere near as proud of it, being my first level and all (Pause is my second). I'm supposedly collaborating with Saturnyoshi on a SCC/CC13 level, so keep an eye out for that, as well as something more secret that has something to do with Beta 4.

Mea wrote: 6 years ago I love those small messages that pop up innocuously at every pause and are different each time, it's such a small, yet considerate thing to do for the player. I was smalltime excited to see what it would say next.

Code: Select all

local messages2 = { "GAME PAUSED", "HEY THERE EVERYONE", "THAT'S SUPER NEAT", "HANG IN THERE", "ARE YOU A REAL HERO", "FOLLOW MY MOVES", "WATCH AND LEARN", "DEEPER", "KEEP GOING", "NEATO", "WOULD YOU KINDLY", "CONSTANTS AND VARIABLES", "YOU FOUND A HEART", "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY", "GO OUTSIDE", "ROLL DEX", "TIMELESS", "ETERNITY", "GEOTHERMAL", "HUZZAH", "WELCOME TO MY REALITY", "ALL'S FAIR", "HARDESTER", "YOU TRIED", "MAY HEAVEN GRANT YOU", "FORTUNE", "PRAISE THE SUN", "BONFIRE LIT", "TRAP AHEAD", "JOB'S DONE", "YOU ARE THE ONE", "I'M YOUR STAR", "WHAT'S YOURS IS MINE", "LOST IN YESTERDAY" }
local messages3 = { "GAME PAUSED", "TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES", "ALL ALIKE", "LOST WITHIN", "MY OWN MIND", "CAN'T LOCK UP", "THE DARKNESS", "WHO ARE YOU", "WHAT ARE YOU DOING", "YOU ARE ONLY HUMAN", "THE END", "I CAN'T BELIEVE", "YOU DID THIS", "BUT NOBODY CAME", "A BAD TIME", "CAN'T WAKE UP", "I HAVE NO MOUTH", "I MUST SCREAM", "WELCOME TO HELL", "THOU SHALT NOT WALK TO THE LEFT", "HELP ME", "NOT FAST ENOUGH", "ARE YOU A REAL VILLAIN", "NOT GOOD ENOUGH", "A BLACK WIND BLOWS THROUGH YOU", "FISSION MAILED", "YOU IDIOT", "HARDESTESTEST", "WHY DO YOU STRUGGLE", "HEARTLESS", "WAKE UP", "SMELL THE ASHES", "YOU DIED", "LIAR AHEAD", "THERE'S BLOOD IN THE BOX", "ANOTHER CASTLE" }
local messages4 = {	"PAME GAUSED", "KYAA", "SIGSEGV RECEIVED", "NaN", "root@system:/#", "() { :; };", "HELLO\"}; player:kill(); --", "SYNCING SPEED ACHIEVED", "HELP I'M TRAPPED IN A LEVEL DESIGN CONTEST", "nil", "[|^_^|]", "", "CONGLATURATION", "2+2 == 10", "YOU ARE NOT EXPECTED TO UNDERSTAND THIS", "SYSTEM_INFORMATION_963", "FLAGRANT SYSTEM ERROR", "COMPUTER OVER", "UP, AND TO THE RIGHT", "A WEIRD FIRST THOUGHT", "JUST A GAME", "ARE YOU REAL",  "rng.irandomEntry(messages4)" }