(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Level Contest Japan - cave story

Post by Kilgamayan »

"Keep Going" is one of the three arcade minigames you buy for your house in SkyTown in An Untitled Story. (JumpBox and Astrocrash were the other two, and were substantially more difficult to get Hearts from.) I recall raoguy repeating the name of the minigame several times while playing it in increasingly faux-excited tones for comedic effect due to how dull the minigame was (since it displays "KEEP GOING!!!" every 50 or 100 points or so).

EDIT: Here.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years agoThis level would have been greatly improved without the dumb author messages at the beginning of each room and the removal of the Pause screen messages.
While I think the messages at the beginning of each room could have been positioned less annoyingly I honestly can't see how removing the pause screen messages could improve the level in any way whatsoever. What's your reasoning on that?
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The thing raocow brought up about physics being easier to describe if we assume we are in a 2D plane is the holographic principle, which I think makes some issues with black holes and quantum gravity make more sense.

There's also the simulation hypothesis, which brings up the idea that if it's possible to simulate a convincing reality and humanity has any interest in doing so, there are conceivable scenarios where we would almost certainly be living within one of the simulated realities.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Ometeotl wrote: 6 years agoThis level would have been greatly improved without the dumb author messages at the beginning of each room and the removal of the Pause screen messages.
While I think the messages at the beginning of each room could have been positioned less annoyingly I honestly can't see how removing the pause screen messages could improve the level in any way whatsoever. What's your reasoning on that?
They serve zero purpose other than to be a reference for reference's sake. It's lazier than a family guy style reference.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The pause screen quotes aren't really a substantial part of the level's content though. It's just something unobtrusive to occupy you during the segments where there is no player input (which can sometimes be fairly slow depending on how much momentum you have when you pause). If you took the aimless references out of Family Guy, you'd have to come up with actual story or dialog to fill in the show, whereas if you took the pause screen quotes out of this, you'd be playing the exact same level.
Money

Post by Money »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years ago They serve zero purpose other than to be a reference for reference's sake. It's lazier than a family guy style reference.
The inherent difference is that a family guy reference is used in lieu of content, while these accentuate the content that is there and provide variety.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years agoThey serve zero purpose other than to be a reference for reference's sake. It's lazier than a family guy style reference.
Fair enough, though I would still disagree for more or less the reasons kitikami and MoneyMan gave. Either way, even if they were of Family Guy quality I don't think they'd particularly take anything away from the level, at least on a particularly noteworthy level.
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years agoThey serve zero purpose other than to be a reference for reference's sake. It's lazier than a family guy style reference.
Bear in mind the context they were used in: You couldn't exactly have any super complex jokes or setups or whatever in there because that'd distract the player. They are merely fluff to entertain the player for a short while. It doesn't need to be a comedic work of genius because it's far from the focus of the level.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grounder

Re: Level Contest Japan - platforming currency

Post by Grounder »

airsick simulator 2018
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

That second level looked super annoying.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mea

Post by Mea »

I think there was a real wasted opportunity to use a lakitu holding a camera for one of those sections in that second level, maybe for the first section.
First part was pretty hilarious, the others were too but could have been a little less janky.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

uss suboptimal 2017
(although i suppose fluffy quest by the same author would be fitting too i suppose)
Last edited by Sugar 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

You know what they say, you can't spell 'shitsureiitashimashita' without 'shit'
ScribePennington
Heck
First name: Munch
Pronouns: They/them

Post by ScribePennington »

It was just a tiny moment in the video, but raocow saying that you should be careful watching if you get seasickness resonated with me for some reason
Woof
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I thought the concept of the second level today was nice, but I feel like some rooms didn't use it as well as others. The first room was alright and it does a good job introducing the gimmick. I do wish the homing koopa didn't have such unpredictable behaviour but it doesn't hurt you so it's not that bad.

The falling room didn't seem that different from what these types of rooms typically are. Mario does fall slower than other objects, giving you a little bit more time to react near the end, but it doesn't really matter here since the danger areas are very clearly marked ahead of time.

The thwomp room was good; I feel this is the first room to really make good use of the gimmick. Though I was confused by the fact that the springs are on always solid switch blocks. I feel like it would make more sense to use ordinary blocks there. Also, I'm not sure if the spiny generator was supposed to be off screen when the thwomp came to a stop, or if that was just an oversight.

Unlike the previous room the boo room doesn't use the gimmick well at all. First of all the room is vertical which I thought was an odd decision considering it doesn't really do much except you have to wait for the camera to slowly scroll upwards. That could be meaningful if there was some kind of race against time; for instance, if there was a single saw on a long path and you had to stop on some platforms to let the camera scroll up. But rather than doing something like that this room has some weird thing with the saws and mushrooms which just seems weird and out of place.

The room with boom boom was another good room that uses the gimmick effectively. Though the part where boom boom can fall into the void seems like a really big oversight (I can't tell if raocow tried, but I assume he couldn't have just gone through the goal when that happened).

glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

mix high mushrooms with lua and you get sidekick snuggles featuring overdosed camera
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

I'm surprised sidekick struggles wasn't a one level video
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Lilac Star Heights has a really nice atmosphere. The red coins marking platforms don't really serve a gameplay purpose. Those might as well have been normal platforms almost. I also think the level could have used a second midpoint before the boss.

Sidekick Struggles varied dramatically from room to room. When I first saw it I thought dealing with the Homing Koopa would be ridiculous, but it managed to be both non-trivial and non-stupid somehow, so good job with that. I hated the falling hammer room. Your safe spots are limited and the flames/bubbles will be in different places from one playthrough to the next. I felt like I ran out of options a few times in that section. The thwomp part was cool, but I think the spiny generator should have stayed onscreen so that spinies would continue to generate for that last jump. I think it would have helped that part to feel less janky. I have a feeling that raocow overcomplicated the Boo room, but I can't remember what I did anymore. The Boom Boom room was great, and it was a nice way to end the level. I think that raocow could have won the level just by holding right after the Boom Boom fell off the stage, so I was surprised when he Start/Selected out.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Yeah the experiences in sidekick struggles vary dramatically (I too was expecting a really long video), but it's super creative.
This is why you shouldn't give the camera to other enemies, lakitu!
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Even after all these years, raocow proves to still be the best beta tester of others' creations. :lol:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

first level had a severe case of lopsided midpoint
second level had some okay ideas sometimes but i wasn't a fan of the concept in general and a few of those rooms just looked really annoying. generous checkpointing lessened the issues a lot though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

This level is a result of another one of my sugar rushes. I got this awful idea early on into LCJ but did the koopa section and layed down like 1 setup each for thwomp and hammer and then stopped working on it. A few days before the deadline when I was rushing Chuck Mines Enjl told me he was bored and I jokingly said "you should finish my terrible camera level lol" but then WHOOPS
Alice

Post by Alice »

ScribePennington wrote: 6 years agoIt was just a tiny moment in the video, but raocow saying that you should be careful watching if you get seasickness resonated with me for some reason
Same here but then again it was today of all days that I woke up with a stomachache for some reason, lol. That first section really didn't help at all.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

And so Boom boom fell for eternity
When you stare at into the Boom boom, the Boom boom stares back into you
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

This is why Nintendo usually hires Lakitus to do camera work in the official games. The other minions just aren't as reliable. Lakitus have a good eye for framing, and they usually even bring their own stabilization equipment. Bowser requires at least 4 years of film school before you're allowed to operate a cloud, which is great for filming, but it also means they won't shut up about the term paper they wrote on Citizen Kane.