(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: Level Contest Japan - spike zone hell

Post by strongbadman »

Probably should have just stuck with one level instead of 3 and a boss.

Hell, even just submitting the 3 levels would have been much better. That boss is just bad. Terribly monotonous and just takes forever regardless. And the physics of the engine are super not suited to what it wants you to do. I never like bosses in iwbtg games, and inserting one into a different game doesn't change my opinion. They're often the worst parts of those games.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

dont let the door hit you on the way out
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Money

Post by Money »

My favorite part is how somehow the boss fucked up the life counter so every death against her counted as two deaths
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago BY THE WAY speaking about copyrighted music, the level after this on plays Holy Diver. Might wanna replace that if you don't want your video getting blown up and blocked in half the world.

Ha I said The World.
wait where was holy diver?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago"a" needs to be prohibited from making levels until they've sat down and thought long and hard about what they've done, maybe for a week or six.
it's a video game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Money

Post by Money »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago"a" needs to be prohibited from making levels until they've sat down and thought long and hard about what they've done, maybe for a week or six.
it's a video game
video games are serious business, dont you know that the proper reaction to someone making a bad level is to ostracize them?
Dragondraikk
Devourer of Steaks

Post by Dragondraikk »

Honestly, after this whole debacle I feel that if a level in a contest takes more than 2 videos, it should just be finished with every cheat in the book to get it over with. It's clearly just hogging time from other levels and has nothing redeeming to show for it.

Code: Select all

if(signature.isDumb()){
    return signature;
}else{
    throw up;
}
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Dragondraikk wrote: 6 years ago Honestly, after this whole debacle I feel that if a level in a contest takes more than 2 videos, it should just be finished with every cheat in the book to get it over with. It's clearly just hogging time from other levels and has nothing redeeming to show for it.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I mean raocow isn't to blame for other people's lack of perspective, but they wouldn't have got pissy (or at least AS pissy) if the level hadn't taken so many videos. Plus it'd probably be better for raocow's mind if he didn't feel compelled to spend hours on this bullhonky.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years agoMy favorite part is how somehow the boss fucked up the life counter so every death against her counted as two deaths
How does that even happen? Makes the death counter utterly useless since now we don't know how many times raocow has actually died. Not that it meant much anymore anyways since like 90% of them were from this single level.
Leet wrote: 6 years agoit's a video game
And your point is? A clearly doesn't understand designing levels with others in mind. The bit raocow kept quoting about him from that lua file shows that. They simply don't understand that they will know exactly what to do in a level they designed while a random player won't and it would be in their best interest to learn otherwise since they clearly have no grasp of difficulty.

I really get tired of people making these random shitposts about how poorly designed levels are perfectly fine simply because it's a game. The fact it's a game is simply irrelevant. That doesn't stop it being a bad level nor does it make A a better level designer. In fact this attitude is harmful specifically because it's basically a call out saying "yo, you can't criticize shit so quit it!!!" which isn't conducive to actually improving one's skills.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

rao, I'm offended that you stole my strat of "Wait until he uses the same move several times in a row".
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

repeated my strategy of "watch the first minute, skip to the end" and was happier for it.
in terms of fun factor i'd give this "level" as a whole 0/10 personally
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

128-Up wrote: 6 years ago So... that boss.
That was definitely your run-of-the-mill bad fangame boss. The random(360) is real.
I'm genuinely surprised the author bothered to give you HP for it, though. At least it's something?

Between the boss style and the clear screen though, I'm actually kinda worried that I know who "(a)" is.

The clear screen and music are exactly the same as those used by Rukito, one of my favourite fangame makers. He has an area in Kamilia 3, so you've probably heard of him that way.

At least it's over now, time to work on my remake of it. :P
So let me get this straight. If what you're saying is true, someone who

makes fangames, and contributed to one of the most difficult ones

wrote that message.

It has to be a joke then. That or their definition of "normal skilled players with a non-grindy difficulty" has been completely destroyed.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago BY THE WAY speaking about copyrighted music, the level after this on plays Holy Diver. Might wanna replace that if you don't want your video getting blown up and blocked in half the world.

Ha I said The World.
Next level
Green Gringo Grassland
Also, the thing I hate the most in this room is Jonesy. I hate how it looks. I hate that it exists. It's eldritch features are abhorrent. And I was a better human being when I didn't know it came from an actual comic book sold for money with that stupid fucking synopsis.

I'm mad.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by 128-Up »

strongbadman wrote: 6 years ago
128-Up wrote: 6 years ago So... that boss.
That was definitely your run-of-the-mill bad fangame boss. The random(360) is real.
I'm genuinely surprised the author bothered to give you HP for it, though. At least it's something?

Between the boss style and the clear screen though, I'm actually kinda worried that I know who "(a)" is.

The clear screen and music are exactly the same as those used by Rukito, one of my favourite fangame makers. He has an area in Kamilia 3, so you've probably heard of him that way.

At least it's over now, time to work on my remake of it. :P
So let me get this straight. If what you're saying is true, someone who

makes fangames, and contributed to one of the most difficult ones

wrote that message.

It has to be a joke then. That or their definition of "normal skilled players with a non-grindy difficulty" has been completely destroyed.
I have been informed by Enjl (after asking him) that the creator of Minimal Maximal is in fact American, whereas the person I guessed is Japanese. So that means by guess is incorrect.

Thank goodness.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago

Ha I said The World.
Next level
Green Gringo Grassland
Also, the thing I hate the most in this room is Jonesy. I hate how it looks. I hate that it exists. It's eldritch features are abhorrent. And I was a better human being when I didn't know it came from an actual comic book sold for money with that stupid fucking synopsis.

I'm mad.
ah, ok. Got confused.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Of COURSE such a shitty level would end in a danmaku boss, gotta hit all the Bad Design boxes on the checklist, I guess.
Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Yes I was surprised it wasn't a Steven Universe OC or apparently nothing to do with the makers of SU

Like does Tumblr have a factory to produce artists with that style
I thought all of tumblr's budget was lined up in the factory to produce artists that think people's noses are giant and of a different color than their skin.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Leet wrote: 6 years agoit's a video game
I really get tired of people making these random shitposts about how poorly designed levels are perfectly fine simply because it's a game. The fact it's a game is simply irrelevant. That doesn't stop it being a bad level nor does it make A a better level designer. In fact this attitude is harmful specifically because it's basically a call out saying "yo, you can't criticize shit so quit it!!!" which isn't conducive to actually improving one's skills.
Thanks for removing what I was actually responding to - it wasn't criticism of the level, that's for sure! I don't know about you, but I think telling people that they should be "prohibited" from making levels is maybe the least conducive thing ever to improving one's skills.

Also, the amount of time between submitting something to a project and the project's release is usually substantial; saying that the designer needs to "think about what they've done" is just alien to me because it assumes that the designer is still as confident in their work as the day they submitted it (or even then! maybe they didn't even think it was that great at the time!)

Critique the level, please critique the level, write an essay on the level! But don't assume the creator = their work, or that a creator stands for their work, because both are seldom true.
Last edited by Leet 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

• Three bullshit difficult levels
  • Followed by bullshit danmaku boss
  • Because of this "level", combined with timing, we get less raocow.
Conclusion: Screw this level.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Alice

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 6 years agoThanks for removing what I was actually responding to - it wasn't criticism of the level, that's for sure! I don't know about you, but I think telling people that they should be "prohibited" from making levels is maybe the least conducive thing ever to improving one's skills.
I always remove nested quotes. And it's very obvious hyperbole that you somehow managed to miss. And either way it's right in the middle of a fairly long discussion on the exact issues with the level design either way. It's pretty clear that the intent of that post was to state that A should refrain from making levels until taking the time necessary to step back and see why this level went over so poorly with everyone.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Alice wrote: 6 years agoAnd it's very obvious hyperbole that you somehow managed to miss.
Is this really necessary

Like I can tell it's not a literal call to action but it's still an overly hostile sentiment in the context of a mario boss? My reaction doesn't change.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
MoneyMan wrote: 6 years agoMy favorite part is how somehow the boss fucked up the life counter so every death against her counted as two deaths
How does that even happen? Makes the death counter utterly useless since now we don't know how many times raocow has actually died. Not that it meant much anymore anyways since like 90% of them were from this single level.
He was at 3098 before the boss and 3440 after. 3440 - 3098 = 342/2 = 171 "real" deaths. So his real death count is currently 3269. For whatever that's worth.

Honestly at this point I'm reasonably sure that (minimal) (maximal) was probably just a troll level. How someone could have such malice in their heart that they would expend so much effort to produce something like this just to anger people, I don't know, but it makes more sense to me than the alternative.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 6 years agoIs this really necessary

Like I can tell it's not a literal call to action but it's still an overly hostile sentiment in the context of a mario boss? My reaction doesn't change.
Not actually all that hostile in context to the very blatantly condescending comment from the level designer in that lua file. And it's obviously necessary when you don't seem to get that it's hyperbole. Your reaction doesn't change that view because your reaction seems to ignore the fact it's hyperbole anyways.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

aren't we supposed to be yelling at the level author, not fighting against each other

this is a repeat of the SMWCX thread and this kind of infighting is what the author would be gloating about /halfjoke

Seriously though, I wish you didn't try to beat the whole thing raocow. The other sections may have had problems, but this video you were noticably unhappy. You basically took the troll bait in full and let the author get away with it. The commenters have a point in that you were spending on this time that could have been spent better. You know how in the past you've said things like "this level doesn't deserve to be played toolless" with unplayable contest levels?
Leet

Post by Leet »

And it's obviously necessary when you don't seem to get that it's hyperbole. Your reaction doesn't change that view because your reaction seems to ignore the fact it's hyperbole anyways.
I'm really not interested in debating what my own beliefs are. Would rather stick semi-on-topic (as anoomaly mentioned. relatedly, does the talkhaus not have 'ninja protection'? did it? did i turn it off?).
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Come on, man, if you make a bad level you shouldn't try to improve by making more levels you should sit in the corner and think about what you've done (made raocow feel bad).
dont wanna jihad no more